What the Faust?! German Avant-Garde Rock Pioneers to Play a Few Select UK Dates in 2010
Back in 1971, it was a transitional time for music (of sorts). Led Zeppelin released the landmark 'Four Symbols' album ('Stairway To Heaven' and 'When The Levee Breaks' et al), Queen, New York Dolls and The Eagles all formed themselves and, er, ELO released their debut album, as well other notable releases such as Carole King's 'Tapestry', Joni Mitchell's 'Blue' and Jethro Tull's 'Aqualung'. In the Germany countryside something was stirring ... and making something that sounded completely unlike all of the artists above. That stirring came from the minds of the band Faust - and they were about to make history ...
Cut to 2010 and you have a chance to see this enigmatic band playing 'the hits and more' at a clutch of special dates around the UK, starting in Birmingham on May 10th, Glasgow on the 11th, continuing to Manchester on the 12th and finally Wrexham on the 13th. The Brum gig is £17 but the remaining two are a tenner plus fees.
Initially signed to Polydor in 1971, their debut album of just three extended sound collages that could test anyone's grasp of pop music, sold modestly enough in its striking screen-printed clear PVC sleeve and clear-vinyl disc inside. But it was their first Virgin album the Faust Tapes that ruffled the feathers amongst proggy-purists. Released in 1973, it was one of the first records to feature sound-collage and cut-ups so beloved of later Industrial artists such as Nurse With Wound, Einsturzende Neubaten and Severed Heads, not to mention Amon Duul and Brian Eno. Virgin, keen to sell their new signings, flogged the album for 49p - it worked, chalking up 50,000 sales. They recently released the album 'C'est Complique' in 2009.
In addition to Faust treading the boards, their compatriots Tangerine Dream are also out and about, playing a concert at the Royal Albert Hall on April 1st. Tickets are still available - you'd be an April Fool to miss it.
You may be interested in
- Fri 2nd Mar 2018 Black CarrotThe Tin Music and Arts (Coventry)Buy Tickets
- Wed 7th Mar 2018 to Sat 24th Mar 2018 Vels TrioBuy Tickets
- Thu 8th Mar 2018 and Fri 4th May 2018 GNODBuy Tickets
- Mon 12th Mar 2018 Anna von HausswolffBoston Arms/ The Dome - Tufnell Park (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 17th Mar 2018 and Sat 24th Mar 2018 Happy MealsBuy Tickets
- Sun 1st Apr 2018 to Thu 12th Apr 2018 InterrobangBuy Tickets
- Tue 3rd Apr 2018 Interrobang, Bilge PumpBrudenell Social (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Tue 10th Apr 2018 GrandbrothersVillage Underground (Shoreditch)Buy Tickets
- Tue 10th Apr 2018 Interrobang, Louise DistrasThe Craufurd Arms (Wolverton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 14th Apr 2018 Julio Bashmore, Happy MealsMinistry of Sound (Southwark)Buy Tickets
- Mon 16th Apr 2018 DuotoneThe Kitchen Garden Cafe (Kings Heath)Buy Tickets
- Sat 28th Apr 2018 to Mon 30th Apr 2018 Yo La TengoBuy Tickets
- Sun 29th Apr 2018 and Wed 2nd May 2018 GNOD, White HillsBuy Tickets
- Sat 12th May 2018 Jah WobbleThe Holroyd Arms (Guildford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 19th May 2018 Pere UbuBorderline (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 Bearded Theory Festival, Robert Plant and the Sensational Sp...Catton Hall Park (Derbyshire)Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 In The Park Festival, Marc Almond, Heaven 17, Big Minds, Abs...Garon Park (Southend)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Jun 2018 Electric Summer: a-ha, Marc Almond, Thompson Twins - Tom BaileyHuish Park Stadium [Yeovil Town FC] (Yeovil)Buy Tickets
- Wed 11th Jul 2018 Kraftwerk, Live at the MarqueeMarquee (Cork)Buy Tickets
- Thu 19th Jul 2018 Lytham Festival, Pete Tong presents Ibiza Classics, Pete Ton...Lytham Green (Lancashire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 20th Jul 2018 to Sat 1st Dec 2018 Pete Tong presents Ibiza Classics, Pete Tong, Jules Buckley,...Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Jul 2018 Kaleidoscope Festival, The Flaming Lips, Ghostpoet, Mystery ...Alexandra Palace (London)Buy Tickets
- Sat 13th Oct 2018 Current 93, Nurse With WoundO2 Shepherds Bush Empire (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Fri 26th Oct 2018 to Sat 22nd Dec 2018 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Marc Almond...Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Marc AlmondThe Hexagon (Reading)Buy Tickets