What the Faust?! German Avant-Garde Rock Pioneers to Play a Few Select UK Dates in 2010
Back in 1971, it was a transitional time for music (of sorts). Led Zeppelin released the landmark 'Four Symbols' album ('Stairway To Heaven' and 'When The Levee Breaks' et al), Queen, New York Dolls and The Eagles all formed themselves and, er, ELO released their debut album, as well other notable releases such as Carole King's 'Tapestry', Joni Mitchell's 'Blue' and Jethro Tull's 'Aqualung'. In the Germany countryside something was stirring ... and making something that sounded completely unlike all of the artists above. That stirring came from the minds of the band Faust - and they were about to make history ...
Cut to 2010 and you have a chance to see this enigmatic band playing 'the hits and more' at a clutch of special dates around the UK, starting in Birmingham on May 10th, Glasgow on the 11th, continuing to Manchester on the 12th and finally Wrexham on the 13th. The Brum gig is £17 but the remaining two are a tenner plus fees.
Initially signed to Polydor in 1971, their debut album of just three extended sound collages that could test anyone's grasp of pop music, sold modestly enough in its striking screen-printed clear PVC sleeve and clear-vinyl disc inside. But it was their first Virgin album the Faust Tapes that ruffled the feathers amongst proggy-purists. Released in 1973, it was one of the first records to feature sound-collage and cut-ups so beloved of later Industrial artists such as Nurse With Wound, Einsturzende Neubaten and Severed Heads, not to mention Amon Duul and Brian Eno. Virgin, keen to sell their new signings, flogged the album for 49p - it worked, chalking up 50,000 sales. They recently released the album 'C'est Complique' in 2009.
In addition to Faust treading the boards, their compatriots Tangerine Dream are also out and about, playing a concert at the Royal Albert Hall on April 1st. Tickets are still available - you'd be an April Fool to miss it.
You may be interested in
- Sun 19th Aug 2018 Phoenix, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Nils Frahm, Jungle, The Lemon...Le Fort De Saint-Pere (France)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th Aug 2018 This Must Be The Place: Ghostpoet, Happy MealsBelgrave Music Hall (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Wed 29th Aug 2018 Yo La TengoKomedia (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Thu 30th Aug 2018 United GhostsDublin Castle (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Mon 3rd Sep 2018 Oh Sees, BEAK>, Flat WormsO2 Forum (Kentish Town)Buy Tickets
- Mon 1st Oct 2018 to Thu 4th Oct 2018 AnathemaBuy Tickets
- Thu 11th Oct 2018 and Fri 12th Oct 2018 Portico QuartetBuy Tickets
- Sat 13th Oct 2018 Current 93, Nurse With WoundO2 Shepherds Bush Empire (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Sat 13th Oct 2018 to Mon 22nd Oct 2018 Halo MaudBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Oct 2018 Ghostpoet, Jane Weaver, Nadine Shah, Suuns, The Lovely Eggs,...Various Oxford Venues (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Oct 2018 Slowdive, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever, James Holden, Kam...Various Bristol Venues (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Fri 26th Oct 2018 to Sat 22nd Dec 2018 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Marc Almond...Buy Tickets
- Wed 31st Oct 2018 and Thu 1st Nov 2018 The GardenBuy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Nov 2018 Lydia LunchMoth Club (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Sun 4th Nov 2018 23 Skidoo100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 9th Nov 2018 to Sun 10th Feb 2019 Jah WobbleBuy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Marc AlmondThe Hexagon (Reading)Buy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Nov 2018 to Sat 1st Dec 2018 Pete Tong presents Ibiza Classics, Pete Tong, Jules Buckley,...Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Nov 2018 to Wed 28th Nov 2018 BEAK>Buy Tickets
- Wed 28th Nov 2018 and Wed 5th Dec 2018 DuotoneBuy Tickets
- Fri 8th Mar 2019 Oneohtrix Point NeverRoundhouse (Camden)Buy Tickets