What the Faust?! German Avant-Garde Rock Pioneers to Play a Few Select UK Dates in 2010
Back in 1971, it was a transitional time for music (of sorts). Led Zeppelin released the landmark 'Four Symbols' album ('Stairway To Heaven' and 'When The Levee Breaks' et al), Queen, New York Dolls and The Eagles all formed themselves and, er, ELO released their debut album, as well other notable releases such as Carole King's 'Tapestry', Joni Mitchell's 'Blue' and Jethro Tull's 'Aqualung'. In the Germany countryside something was stirring ... and making something that sounded completely unlike all of the artists above. That stirring came from the minds of the band Faust - and they were about to make history ...
Cut to 2010 and you have a chance to see this enigmatic band playing 'the hits and more' at a clutch of special dates around the UK, starting in Birmingham on May 10th, Glasgow on the 11th, continuing to Manchester on the 12th and finally Wrexham on the 13th. The Brum gig is £17 but the remaining two are a tenner plus fees.
Initially signed to Polydor in 1971, their debut album of just three extended sound collages that could test anyone's grasp of pop music, sold modestly enough in its striking screen-printed clear PVC sleeve and clear-vinyl disc inside. But it was their first Virgin album the Faust Tapes that ruffled the feathers amongst proggy-purists. Released in 1973, it was one of the first records to feature sound-collage and cut-ups so beloved of later Industrial artists such as Nurse With Wound, Einsturzende Neubaten and Severed Heads, not to mention Amon Duul and Brian Eno. Virgin, keen to sell their new signings, flogged the album for 49p - it worked, chalking up 50,000 sales. They recently released the album 'C'est Complique' in 2009.
In addition to Faust treading the boards, their compatriots Tangerine Dream are also out and about, playing a concert at the Royal Albert Hall on April 1st. Tickets are still available - you'd be an April Fool to miss it.
You may be interested in
- Thu 22nd Nov 2018 to Sat 22nd Dec 2018 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Marc Almond...Buy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Nov 2018 to Sat 1st Dec 2018 Pete Tong presents Ibiza Classics, Pete Tong, Jules Buckley,...Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Nov 2018 to Sat 6th Apr 2019 HengeBuy Tickets
- Sat 24th Nov 2018 to Thu 7th Feb 2019 BEAK>Buy Tickets
- Wed 28th Nov 2018 to Fri 11th Jan 2019 DuotoneBuy Tickets
- Sat 1st Dec 2018 to Sun 10th Feb 2019 Jah WobbleBuy Tickets
- Sat 8th Dec 2018 and Sun 9th Dec 2018 LoscilBuy Tickets
- Sat 26th Jan 2019 Michael RotherEartH [Hackney Arts Centre] (Stoke Newington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 8th Feb 2019 Seu Jorge, The Heritage OrchestraEventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Sun 17th Feb 2019 and Mon 18th Feb 2019 Yo La TengoBuy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Feb 2019 23 Skidoo100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 8th Mar 2019 Oneohtrix Point NeverRoundhouse (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Wed 13th Mar 2019 Tangerine DreamBarbican (City of London)Buy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Mar 2019 InterrobangKatie Fitzgerald's (Stourbridge)Buy Tickets
- Thu 18th Apr 2019 to Sat 20th Apr 2019 Headsticks, Interrobang, Steve IgnorantBuy Tickets