Spread the Word - London Word Festival 2010 Explores the Freedom of Speech and Clever Writers
Sub-titled as 'Looking way beyond the page', this year's London Word Festival 2010 will attempt to present the spoken word through various different mediums, not just recitals. The annual festival is the celebration of language and, unlike many other similar festivals, the events within it sometimes take place in unusual locations.
Based in various East London venues, the festival begins on March 7th and ends on April 1st with many free events. The opening day sees The Chip Shop in Dalston play host to a word-creating day - you suggest a word, they will create a caricature to form part of an installation and an ultimate Word Festival poem to be read out on the closing day. It's free to visit although a donation is expected in order to take part.
Comedy-writers, Josie Long and Isy Suttie (Peep Show) head up the project called 'One Hundred Days To Make Me A Better Person'. The idea being that for one hundred days you carry out one action once a day to help yourself become that little bit fitter, friendlier or happier depending on what action you have chosen. The idea was launched on December 1st 2009 and will come to its conclusion on March 10th when the two writers plus guests show you what they've been up to, based on suggestions from the public (800 members of). There will also be an auction featuring an exclusive piece of artwork by Suttie, the results of her 100 days 'thing'. £10 for the show at a secret East London venue (announced when you receive your ticket).
There is a night of criminal fiction, film noir and mysterious literary stories on March 12th when Huzzah!Noir present animated interpretations of work by Toby Litt, Ray Banks and Cathi Unsworth at the Toynbee Theatre (£10), while actor and writer Stuart Silver presents his new monologue, 'You Look Like Ants', a piece that explores life and what distracts us from day to day. Bloody Twitter is probably one of them! Silver appears on the 15th at The Courtyard (£9).
Chris McCabe's new play, 'Shad Thames, Broken Wharf', appears at Jamboree, Cable Street on March 18th (£8) and is a tale of the changing face of London's Docklands through the ages, told in the form of an overheard conversation. There are plenty of other 'wordy' attractions during the next week or so until the closing performances on March 31st and April 1st. The former will feature an evening dedicated to the art of storytelling with comedian and writer, Terry Saunders premiering his new story, 'Six and a Half Loves' as well as the revealing of the Chip Shop poem created from the printing venue mentioned at the beginning of the festival. St. Leonards Church is the hosting location for this evening - £8.
The final day welcomes John Hegley to the proceedings for a night of poetry and incidental music as well as an exhibition in conjunction with the Barbican Young Poets. It's free and takes place at the Barbican (Art Gallery area).
- Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Wed 17th Oct 2018 and Wed 14th Nov 2018 The Fulham Big Band, Fundraising EventMore Info..
- Thu 18th Oct 2018 Sea GirlsScala (Kings Cross)Buy Tickets
- Thu 18th Oct 2018 to Sat 20th Oct 2018 Dara O'BriainBuy Tickets
- Thu 18th Oct 2018 PalaceHoxton Hall (Shoreditch)Buy Tickets
- Thu 18th Oct 2018 Russell HowardClapham Grand (Clapham)Buy Tickets
- Fri 19th Oct 2018 Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly.Islington Assembly Hall [Town Hall] (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Oct 2018 MewBarbican (City of London)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Oct 2018 to Sun 25th Nov 2018 How Does It Feel To Be Loved?Buy Tickets
- Sun 21st Oct 2018 and Mon 22nd Oct 2018 Dave Chappelle, Jon StewartBuy Tickets
- Tue 23rd Oct 2018 The Wood Burning SavagesOld Blue Last (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Oct 2018 EditorsO2 Academy Brixton (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Oct 2018 Bloc Party: Silent AlarmAlexandra Palace (London)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Oct 2018 Eleanor FriedbergerOslo (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Oct 2018 Sundara KarmaOmeara (Southwark)Buy Tickets
- Fri 26th Oct 2018 Clap Your Hands Say YeahElectric Ballroom (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Fri 26th Oct 2018 FEWSBoston Arms/ The Dome - Tufnell Park (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sun 28th Oct 2018 The Lovely EggsScala (Kings Cross)Buy Tickets
- Sun 28th Oct 2018 CoastsO2 Shepherds Bush Empire (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Sun 28th Oct 2018 Sophia LorenAldwych Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sun 28th Oct 2018 and Tue 20th Nov 2018 Standard Issue in ConversationBuy Tickets
- Tue 30th Oct 2018 Mutual BenefitOslo (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Tue 30th Oct 2018 Marissa NadlerSt Matthias Church (Stoke Newington)Buy Tickets
- Wed 31st Oct 2018 and Mon 26th Nov 2018 Dave Gorman: With Great Powerpoint Comes Great ResponsibilityPointBuy Tickets
- Wed 31st Oct 2018 Dream WifeKOKO (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Thu 1st Nov 2018 Inside Black Mirror: Charlie BrookerIndigo at the O2 (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Nov 2018 Elis James, John Robins: The Holy VibleEventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Nov 2018 Mark ThomasArcola Theatre (London)Buy Tickets
- Tue 6th Nov 2018 and Wed 7th Nov 2018 Kurt VileBuy Tickets
- Wed 7th Nov 2018 YAKBethnal Green Working Men's Club (Bethnal Green)Buy Tickets
- Wed 7th Nov 2018 Art BrutBoston Arms/ The Dome - Tufnell Park (Islington)More Info..
- Thu 8th Nov 2018 Car Seat HeadrestO2 Forum (Kentish Town)Buy Tickets
- Thu 8th Nov 2018 Joan of ArcSebright Arms (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Sat 10th Nov 2018 CudO2 Academy Islington (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sun 11th Nov 2018 and Tue 13th Nov 2018 Stephen FryBuy Tickets
- Mon 12th Nov 2018 MattielThe Garage/ Thousand Island (Highbury)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 and Thu 15th Nov 2018 Dylan Moran: Dr CosmosBuy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Trudy And The RomanceMoth Club (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 King No-OneThe Garage/ Thousand Island (Highbury)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 Interpol, Nilüfer YanyaRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Thu 15th Nov 2018 FindlayOmeara (Southwark)Buy Tickets
- Thu 15th Nov 2018 InterpolRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Mon 19th Nov 2018 NervusBoston Arms/ The Dome - Tufnell Park (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Tue 20th Nov 2018 MetricO2 Forum (Kentish Town)Buy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 and Thu 22nd Nov 2018 Florence and the MachineBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 We Were Promised JetpacksBush Hall (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Nov 2018 The Wave PicturesKOKO (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Nov 2018 Israel NashScala (Kings Cross)Buy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Nov 2018 Pip BlomThe Lexington (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Nov 2018 Nothing But ThievesAlexandra Palace (London)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Nov 2018 Ian McNabbThe Slaughtered Lamb (Clerkenwell)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Nov 2018 Ultrasound, The Electric Soft ParadeThe Lexington (Islington)Buy Tickets