Fat Friday - Feb 5th 2010: Teenage Cancer Trust, Jools Holland, Charlatans, Scouting For Girls, Midlake - Tickets at 9AM
Posted: 4th February 2010
Having barely recovered from last week's pig-out, this Friday's ticket-frenzy carries on with the indulgent tradition. You'd better loosen the belt for these babies I'm a-tellin' ya! Oh, and don't forget to click on the related articles links for more details about our Fat Friday highlights.
Teenage Cancer Trust The Teenage Cancer Trust annual extravaganza takes place in March and, with tickets costing from £35 upwards for each featured gig, they are sure to raise a lot of money for the cause without causing a mass re-mortgaging or bunking a freebie on the train ride home. As if you need reminding, Noel Gallagher, Them Crooked Vultures, Suede (first date in 7 years), JLS and Noel Fielding feature in the mix as well as Arctic Monkeys, The Who and The Specials between the 22nd and the 30th. To mis-quote the two comedians on Master-chef, ten years of comedy and music doesn't get much sexier than this!
Jools Holland doesn't hang about does he? His TV programme has been a staple of late-night music schedules since the construction of Big Ben (well, it seems like it - his first guest was Mozart), but the National treasure now has a fully functional UK tour coming up from April to December and featuring the amazingly-formed tonsils of Alison Moyet as support (not forgetting soul-legend Ruby Turner and reggae-blaster Rico as well). The Autumn and Winter dates go on sale this Friday all priced around the £30 to £35 mark.
Scouting For Girls Young emo-pop scamps, Scouting for Girls, have a further five dates from their upcoming UK and Ireland jaunt up for grabs on the 5th - these include the Nottingham, Bournemouth, Plymouth, London Hammersmith and Brighton performances. They're so lovely, they're so lovely, they're so lovely etc etc (according to their fans anyway) so don't get left behind buying these tickets. I'll be weeding my window-box instead, methinks.
The Charlatans Every week we have a few reformed 'legends' plying their filthy 'live' trade in our faces, and this week is mercifully no exception. The Charlatans one-off Roundhouse gig on May 31st is surely a must for anyone who remembers the good times of XXXL jeans and cheeky biftas behind the office fire escape. This showcase of their debut album, 'Some Friendly', will sell out pretty quick - it's been all over the music press and, hey, it's a quality record (getting a reissue in May by the way). £25 and the gig is yours. Other special one-offs include a show by scratchy angst-punkettes, The Slits, charming your bumflaps off in Islington's Academy on May 12th (£15), and the genial Kinks mainman, Ray Davies, performing his inimitable English pop and blues strum-along anthems in Edinburgh and Southend during May.
Ellie Goulding Hot tickets finally, and we have Brits Critics Choice, Ellie Goulding doing her thing in Glasgow, Manchester and Shepherd's Bush and many others during June (as well as support to Passion Pit on some dates earlier in the year) - the three cities mentioned above go on sale this Friday. Positively smouldering is Midlake on their return with a new album and a one-off concert in November at the Roundhouse - yes they ARE playing in Shepherd's Bush later this month but you try getting a ticket! Don't miss out this time.
Gogol Bordello, those Gypsy punk-folkers, are back with a short stint over here - their festival appearances were a riot last year so expect a quick sale for these, especially in London (Hammersmith Apollo - May 7th).
Jack Johnson Lastly, scoff you may but surfer-singer-songwriter Jack Johnson is still courted by the Newquay fraternity, as well as lovers of easy-going acoustic chill-out music. Two arena dates, one in Cardiff (June 29th) and one at the O2 (June 30th), London are set to fly out - better get busy with that mouse!
- Thu 21st May 2020 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra Spa Theatre and Ocean Room (Scarborough) Buy Tickets
- Sat 23rd May 2020 McFly, Scouting for Girls, Ali Campbell, Billy Ocean The Recreation Ground (Bath) Buy Tickets
- Sat 23rd May 2020 The Bath Festival, McFly, Scouting for Girls, KT Tunstall, Lauran Hibberd The Recreation Ground (Bath) Buy Tickets
- Sun 24th May 2020 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra Warwick Arts Centre (Coventry) Buy Tickets
- Sun 24th May 2020 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra Butterworth Hall (Warwick) Buy Tickets
- Tue 26th May 2020 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra Milton Keynes Theatre (Milton Keynes) Buy Tickets
- Fri 29th May 2020 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra University of East Anglia [UEA]/ LCR (Norwich) Buy Tickets
- Sat 30th May 2020 Suede Dun Laoghaire Pier (Dublin) Buy Tickets
- Wed 10th Jun 2020 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Gilson Lavis, Eddi Reader, Ruby Turner, Louise Clare Marshall The White Rock Theatre/ Sussex Hall (Hastings) Buy Tickets
- Fri 12th Jun 2020 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra Globe Arena (Morecambe) Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Jun 2020 York Festival, Westlife, Howard Donald, All Saints, Sophie Ellis-Bextor, Scouting for Girls York Sports Club (York) Buy Tickets
- Sat 27th Jun 2020 Forest Live, Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra Sherwood Forest Pines (Mansfield) Buy Tickets
- Sat 4th Jul 2020 Trinity Summer Series: The Specials Samuel Beckett Theatre - Trinity College (Dublin) Buy Tickets
- Wed 8th Jul 2020 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Eddi Reader, Gilson Lavis, Ruby Turner, Louise Clare Marshall, The Brand New Heavies Rochester Castle Gardens (Rochester) Buy Tickets
- Sat 11th Jul 2020 Live in Somerset: Heather Small, Lulu, Scouting for Girls, The Fizz (formerly of Bucks Fizz), Skipinnish - Saturday Night Live Vivary Park (Taunton) Buy Tickets