Liverpool Sound City 2010 Shows Faith and Freedom of Speech with Headlining Acts Just Announced
In tandem with our previous article about a call for local bands to participate, Liverpool Sound City have announced some of the big boys (or should I say girls?) for this year's headlining portion of the three-day shindig running from May 19th to 22nd.
Note that Early-Bird discounted tickets (£40 - see button below) end on Friday 5th February, the same day that individual tickets go on sale for the headliners below.
Mercury-Prize winner Speech Debelle and perky pop-pixie Paloma Faith will occupy the prime slots across the city, with Faith kick-starting the festival at the Philharmonic Hall with her gig on the 19th. You already know what this young lady can do - her debut album 'Do You Want The Truth Or Do You Want Something Beautiful?' stormed the charts upon its release in 2009, plus she added a bit of theatrical colour to festival appearances and sell-out shows.
Ms Debelle has wooed many a critic during the past couple of years, not least for her debut album released last year in May which contained a fusion of raw soul, rap and beats that belied her lack of previous breakthroughs. Despite the award, her label Big Dada (a smallish indie that concentrates mainly on traditional hip-hop and breaks - Roots Manuva did alright with them) failed to flood the shops with enough CDs to meet demand and she jumped ship. Her new album is out later this year and her festival gig is on the 21st at the O2 Academy, costing just a tenner.
Other guests at Sound City include the head-honcho of the pioneering Sire Records label in the US, Seymour Stein giving a keynote speech with a very special guest. Sire started out in 1966 with a mixture of artists such as Small Faces and The Deviants before becoming a cutting-edge outlet for New Wave. Ramones, Talking Heads, Dead Boys and Depeche Mode have all come under the label's wing during the 70s and 80s. A certain blonde singer called Madonna did alright with them as well.
- £40 Wristbands
- £100 Delegate Pass
You may be interested in
- Mon 27th May 2019 Rita Ora: PhoenixM & S Bank Arena [Formerly Echo] (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Tue 28th May 2019 KRS-One24 Kitchen Street (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Jun 2019 Mumford and Sons: DeltaM & S Bank Arena [Formerly Echo] (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Mon 3rd Jun 2019 Anne-Marie: Speak Your MindLiverpool Guild of Students/ Stanley Theatre/ Mountford Hall... (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Fri 21st Jun 2019 Ministry of Sound: Annual ClassicalThe Philharmonic Hall (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Wed 3rd Jul 2019 Gladys KnightM & S Bank Arena [Formerly Echo] (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Sat 31st Aug 2019 Fusion Festival, Rudimental, Dizzee Rascal, John Newman, Jon...Sefton Park (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Sat 28th Sep 2019 Red Rum ClubO2 Academy Liverpool (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Fri 6th Dec 2019 SPINNO2 Academy Liverpool (Liverpool)Buy Tickets