Spend An Evening with songwriter Mike Batt in Cadogan Hall, London, 24th May 2010
A Songwriter's Tale
One of Britain's most successful songwriters and record producers, having composed and produced both pop and classical hits for many artists from Art Garfunkel and Vanessa Mae to Cliff Richard and Katie Melua and won 5 Ivor Novello Awards, Mike Batt returns to his original role - as a singer and artist.
Taking to the stage with his band, Mike will perform songs from his 40 year career, one that started when he was 18 years old and signed to Liberty Records. Subsequently signed to Epic, Mike recorded 6 solo albums including 'Schizophonia' and 'Tarot Suite' (both with the London Symphony Orchestra). From these albums came the European hit songs 'Railway Hotel', 'Lady Of The Dawn', 'The Winds Of Change' and 'The Ride To Agadir'. He achieved the number four position as an artist in the UK charts in 1976 with his single 'Summertime City'.
Having spent the following decades writing and producing for other artists, in 2008 Mike returned to the charts when his album 'A Songwriter's Tale' debuted at number 23. 'A Songwriter's Tale' comprised fresh recordings of 16 tracks representing some of the key songs of his life as a performer and writer including 'Bright Eyes', 'Soldier's Song', 'A Winter's Tale', 'The Closest Thing To Crazy', 'I Feel Like Buddy Holly', 'Please Don't Fall In Love' and 'Caravan Song'.
The concert announcement coincides with the release of his catalogue of work on CD, initially in the form of "The Mike Batt Music Cube" before the release of the individual CDs. The cube contains a total of 16 discs, presented as 8 double albums, and is intended as a collector's edition with contents ranging from the recently successful chart album 'A Songwriter's Tale' right back through the 6 solo albums he made for Sony between the 70s and 90s.
A highlight of the collection is a new compilation, 'The Orinoco Kid', containing Batt's own selection of early singles and Wombles curios. Other rare items featured in 'The Cube' are 'Rapid Eye Movements', originally a double album made by Batt for Chrysalis in the early 80s under the pseudonym 'Autopilot'. This adventurous electronic project disappeared off the radar fairly soon after its release but has been much requested by fans ever since.
One of Batt's most popular albums over the years has been 'Caravans', - the soundtrack of which has been a hardy perennial seller since its release in 1978. For this edition, Batt has substituted the shorter Barbara Dickson track 'Caravan Song' for the longer single version which was never on the original album and added a new soundtrack item 'Minuet at Nazrullah's', - which has never appeared on record, until now.
Other highlights of this package include a coupling of the much-acclaimed 'Zero Zero' album with a DVD of the ambitious TV production which accompanied its release in 1982 when broadcast by the new Channel 4 in the first week of the broadcaster's existence. In a similar album/DVD combination, the original 'The Hunting Of The Snark' album (featuring Art Garfunkel, Roger Daltrey, George Harrison, Stephane Grappelli, Sir John Gielgud, John Hurt, Captain Sensible, Deniece Williams, Julian Lennon, and Sir Cliff Richard) is paired with the DVD of the costumed performance of 'Snark' at the Albert Hall, featuring a similarly star-studded line up with the substitution of Justin Hayward for Art Garfunkel, Midge Ure for George Harrison, and Billy Connolly for Cliff Richard!
An additional item within 'The Mike Batt Music Cube' is the first ever appearance on record of his 'Watership Down Suite', a symphonic composition based upon his score for the successful TV series.
Tickets are on sale now, priced at £28.50 + booking fee.
You may be interested in
- Sat 25th May 2019 to Sun 30th Jun 2019 The War of The WorldsBuy Tickets
- Tue 28th May 2019 to Thu 19th Dec 2019 Rod StewartBuy Tickets
- Wed 5th Jun 2019 to Sat 26th Oct 2019 Elkie BrooksBuy Tickets
- Sun 9th Jun 2019 to Sun 1st Dec 2019 Martin SimpsonBuy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Jun 2019 to Sun 22nd Dec 2019 Steve HarleyBuy Tickets
- Wed 26th Jun 2019 to Mon 1st Jul 2019 Cliff RichardBuy Tickets
- Thu 27th Jun 2019 to Sun 3rd Nov 2019 Martin CarthyBuy Tickets
- Fri 5th Jul 2019 Cornbury Festival, The Specials, Echo and the Bunnymen, Beve...The Great Tew Park (Oxfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 6th Jul 2019 Cornbury Festival, Keane, KT Tunstall, Elkie Brooks, The Shi...The Great Tew Park (Oxfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 6th Jul 2019 The Who, Eddie Vedder, Kaiser Chiefs: Moving OnWembley Stadium (Wembley)Buy Tickets
- Sun 7th Jul 2019 Cornbury Festival, The Beach Boys, Paul Carrack, Alfie Boe, ...The Great Tew Park (Oxfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 13th Jul 2019 Lytham Festival, Rod Stewart, Wet Wet Wet, Joanne Shaw Taylo...Lytham Green (Lancashire)Buy Tickets
- Thu 15th Aug 2019 to Sun 18th Aug 2019 Beautiful DaysBuy Tickets
- Sun 8th Sep 2019 to Wed 18th Sep 2019 Justin HaywardBuy Tickets
- Tue 24th Sep 2019 Martin Carthy, Wizz Jones, Fundraising Event: MNDA FundraiserThe Crescent Community Centre (York)Buy Tickets
- Wed 18th Dec 2019 The Demon BarbersThe Cambridge Junction (Cambridge)Buy Tickets