Spend An Evening with songwriter Mike Batt in Cadogan Hall, London, 24th May 2010
A Songwriter's Tale
One of Britain's most successful songwriters and record producers, having composed and produced both pop and classical hits for many artists from Art Garfunkel and Vanessa Mae to Cliff Richard and Katie Melua and won 5 Ivor Novello Awards, Mike Batt returns to his original role - as a singer and artist.
Taking to the stage with his band, Mike will perform songs from his 40 year career, one that started when he was 18 years old and signed to Liberty Records. Subsequently signed to Epic, Mike recorded 6 solo albums including 'Schizophonia' and 'Tarot Suite' (both with the London Symphony Orchestra). From these albums came the European hit songs 'Railway Hotel', 'Lady Of The Dawn', 'The Winds Of Change' and 'The Ride To Agadir'. He achieved the number four position as an artist in the UK charts in 1976 with his single 'Summertime City'.
Having spent the following decades writing and producing for other artists, in 2008 Mike returned to the charts when his album 'A Songwriter's Tale' debuted at number 23. 'A Songwriter's Tale' comprised fresh recordings of 16 tracks representing some of the key songs of his life as a performer and writer including 'Bright Eyes', 'Soldier's Song', 'A Winter's Tale', 'The Closest Thing To Crazy', 'I Feel Like Buddy Holly', 'Please Don't Fall In Love' and 'Caravan Song'.
The concert announcement coincides with the release of his catalogue of work on CD, initially in the form of "The Mike Batt Music Cube" before the release of the individual CDs. The cube contains a total of 16 discs, presented as 8 double albums, and is intended as a collector's edition with contents ranging from the recently successful chart album 'A Songwriter's Tale' right back through the 6 solo albums he made for Sony between the 70s and 90s.
A highlight of the collection is a new compilation, 'The Orinoco Kid', containing Batt's own selection of early singles and Wombles curios. Other rare items featured in 'The Cube' are 'Rapid Eye Movements', originally a double album made by Batt for Chrysalis in the early 80s under the pseudonym 'Autopilot'. This adventurous electronic project disappeared off the radar fairly soon after its release but has been much requested by fans ever since.
One of Batt's most popular albums over the years has been 'Caravans', - the soundtrack of which has been a hardy perennial seller since its release in 1978. For this edition, Batt has substituted the shorter Barbara Dickson track 'Caravan Song' for the longer single version which was never on the original album and added a new soundtrack item 'Minuet at Nazrullah's', - which has never appeared on record, until now.
Other highlights of this package include a coupling of the much-acclaimed 'Zero Zero' album with a DVD of the ambitious TV production which accompanied its release in 1982 when broadcast by the new Channel 4 in the first week of the broadcaster's existence. In a similar album/DVD combination, the original 'The Hunting Of The Snark' album (featuring Art Garfunkel, Roger Daltrey, George Harrison, Stephane Grappelli, Sir John Gielgud, John Hurt, Captain Sensible, Deniece Williams, Julian Lennon, and Sir Cliff Richard) is paired with the DVD of the costumed performance of 'Snark' at the Albert Hall, featuring a similarly star-studded line up with the substitution of Justin Hayward for Art Garfunkel, Midge Ure for George Harrison, and Billy Connolly for Cliff Richard!
An additional item within 'The Mike Batt Music Cube' is the first ever appearance on record of his 'Watership Down Suite', a symphonic composition based upon his score for the successful TV series.
Tickets are on sale now, priced at £28.50 + booking fee.
You may be interested in
- Thu 22nd Nov 2018 to Sun 20th Oct 2019 Martin CarthyBuy Tickets
- Wed 28th Nov 2018 to Thu 13th Dec 2018 Katie Melua, Gori Women's ChoirBuy Tickets
- Thu 29th Nov 2018 to Thu 14th Mar 2019 Elkie BrooksBuy Tickets
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 to Mon 17th Dec 2018 The War of The Worlds, Jason Donovan, Newton Faulkner, Revol...Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Dec 2018 Martin Taylor, Martin SimpsonThe Marine Theatre - Lyme Regis (Dorset)Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Dec 2018 to Wed 12th Dec 2018 The War of The WorldsBuy Tickets
- Sun 9th Dec 2018 Maddy Prior, The Carnival BandThe Platform (Morecambe)Buy Tickets
- Thu 13th Dec 2018 and Sat 15th Dec 2018 The War of The Worlds, Jason Donovan, Newton FaulknerBuy Tickets
- Wed 19th Dec 2018 to Sun 7th Apr 2019 Steve HarleyBuy Tickets
- Fri 11th Jan 2019 and Sat 2nd Feb 2019 Paul Jones, Dave KellyBuy Tickets
- Sun 20th Jan 2019 to Fri 28th Jun 2019 Martin SimpsonBuy Tickets
- Fri 1st Feb 2019 Kenney Jones229 the venue - Great Portland Street (Marylebone)Buy Tickets
- Fri 1st Feb 2019 Roger ChapmanThe Brook (Southampton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Feb 2019 John KirkpatrickBrighton Toy And Model Museum (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 15th Mar 2019 and Sat 16th Mar 2019 Cregan & Co: Songs of Rod StewartBuy Tickets
- Sun 24th Mar 2019 and Wed 27th Mar 2019 Steeleye SpanBuy Tickets
- Thu 4th Apr 2019 to Sun 14th Apr 2019 Legends Live, Suzi Quatro, David Essex, Les McKeown's Bay Ci...Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Apr 2019 Legends Live, Suzi Quatro, David Essex, Les McKeown's Bay Ci...First Direct Arena (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Sat 6th Apr 2019 to Sun 21st Apr 2019 Art GarfunkelBuy Tickets
- Fri 17th May 2019 Martin Carthy, Eliza CarthyThe National Forest Folk Club - Moira (Ashby de la Zouch)Buy Tickets
- Wed 22nd May 2019 to Fri 12th Jul 2019 Rod StewartBuy Tickets
- Wed 26th Jun 2019 to Mon 1st Jul 2019 Cliff RichardBuy Tickets