The National Join the 4AD Roster with a May 2010 Album and UK Date Announced
Posted: 26th January 2010
4AD Still relatively independent (in attitude if nothing else), 4AD keep up the impossibly high standard of signings by inking a deal with the much-fancied The National, the Ohio quintet who have impressed critics and music-heads alike with previous epic albums such as 'The National' and 'Alligator'. It's not a huge move for the band - they have been signed to 4AD's house-mates, Beggars Banquet, since 2004 so it's a short walk down the corridor (metaphorically speaking).
The National In line with this, The National will be releasing a new album in May 2010 to follow up their last opus 'The Boxer' in 2007. Their most recent new material was on the AIDS charity compilation 'Dark Was The Night' and marked their 4AD debut with the grandiose song, 'So Far Around The Bend'. In addition and in support of the album, the boys will be playing one UK date on May 6th at the Royal Albert Hall, London. Judging by the reverie the band are held in, I imagine this will be a very special night indeed and tickets go on sale from 9am on Friday 29th January for £21.50 upwards.
Gang Gang Dance So, what other little treasures await your ears from this most eclectic of labels? Gang Gang Dance have previously come to prominence with the album 'Saint Dymphna' on Warp in 2008 but have in fact been a part of the New York scene that has also spawned label-buddies TV On The Radio and also Animal Collective (without sounding much like either). They have an album and dates planned for later this year.
Tune-Yards is the clatter n rattle-funk project of one lady, Merrill Garbus, who has issued one smart DIY project called 'Bird Brains'. If you yearn for the days of experimental pop, disco and rhythm a la Liquid Liquid, Defunkt and ESG then this may having you palpitating. Her new single 'Real Live Flesh', will get a review on this very site soon. Meanwhile, there are some tasty live dates coming up (see below) and mostly around the tenner mark!
Tindersticks The lovely Tindersticks have just released their new album (also up for a review soon) that is bound to be another languid set of heart-breaks and ball-aches. 'Falling Down A Mountain' will be supported by a cluster of UK dates in Edinburgh, Manchester and Shepherd's Bush (see below). Further live dates will be confirmed later this year (possibly including the odd festival appearance).
The Big Pink The remainder of the roster promises much - last year's beauties included albums from the folk-rock ensemble Broken Records, Camera Obscura, M Ward and chart-botherers, The Big Pink. Looks like 2010AD is going to be a winner for 4AD.
- Wed 17th Feb 2021 Tindersticks The Old Fruit Market (Glasgow) Buy Tickets
- Thu 18th Feb 2021 Tindersticks Royal Northern College of Music (RNCM) (Manchester) Buy Tickets
- Fri 19th Feb 2021 Tindersticks Royal Festival Hall (Lambeth) Buy Tickets
- Sun 21st Feb 2021 Tindersticks National Concert Hall (Dublin) Buy Tickets
- Mon 22nd Feb 2021 Tindersticks Birmingham Town Hall (Birmingham) Buy Tickets
- Tue 23rd Feb 2021 Tindersticks St George's Hall (Bristol) Buy Tickets
- Tue 25th May 2021 The National O2 Academy Brixton (Brixton) Buy Tickets
- Wed 26th May 2021 The National O2 Academy Brixton (Brixton) Buy Tickets
- Fri 4th Jun 2021 Primavera Sound, The Strokes, The National, Beck, Doja Cat, Brockhampton, Bikini Kill, Caribou, King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, Bad Gyal, Khruangbin Parc del Forum (Barcelona) Buy Tickets
- Sun 6th Jun 2021 The National Docklands (Limerick) Buy Tickets
- Mon 7th Jun 2021 The National Marquee (Cork) Buy Tickets
- Tue 8th Jun 2021 The National Botanic Gardens (Belfast) Buy Tickets