What do you think of it so far? Morecambe Takes to the London Stage for the 2009 Festive Season
I'm old enough to remember Christmas Specials on the telly, thirty-odd years ago. Dick Emery (peak-time character-comedian and frequent drag-act), Val Doonican ( tank-topped crooner in rocking chair) and The Osmonds (gleaming-gobbed warbling saccharine machine) all filled our living rooms with festive versions of their same old jokes and music, with added piles of aerosol-snow and dangling baubles in order to kid us it was actually different. The real TV occasion at Christmas though, was the Morecambe & Wise Christmas Show. Every year, Britain's biggest comedy duo (and the start of a few more afterwards) would wheel out beautifully-timed jokes, adlibs and star-guests with bewildering consistency. The usual series was often hilarious and didn't really need the Christmas make-over since the audience would still tune in anyway. Let me just say, 'Shirley Bassey singing on a moving set wearing a hob-nailed boot' and you get the idea of the chaos ensuing. It urinates all over 'X-Factor' et al - and 28 million people tuned in to the 1977 Special (half of the population).
'Morecambe' is a respectful and spot-on stage representation of one-half of the dazzling duo, the 'tall one with the glasses'. It stars the scarily-accurate Bob Golding, a man who was spotted as a co-star on a Steve Martin production by Guy Masterson, the maestro behind this Duchess Theatre (London) version. The biographical play (real characters, imagined words) has appeared at the Edinburgh Fringe and is now set to wow the West End from December 9th to January 17th. It is suitable for all ages and will no doubt feature situations from previous Eric & Ernie shows.
Tickets are on sale now for matinees and evening performances. The performances run from Weds to Sun, matinees are on Wed and Sat (2.30) or Sunday (4pm) only. There are extra performances on Dec 17th, 22nd, 24th and 29th. Prices start at £27.50 and rise to £37.50 which includes a donation to the Restoration Levy. [After the London stint, the show takes to the road - Ed]
I'll leave you with my fave line of many from their show. Eric is explaining his appalling piano-playing ability to renowned conductor, Andre Previn......
Listen, Mr Preview, I'm playing all of the right notes but not necessarily in the right order........
Subject to availability, we're able to offer you the best seats in the house for just £25 including booking for various midweek/ Sunday performances (evenings and matinees). Check the "Morecambe Offer" button below for availability.
You may be interested in
- Thu 24th May 2018 to Sun 17th Jun 2018 Anna Morris: BitchelorsBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 to Sun 10th Jun 2018 Brian ConleyBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 to Sat 15th Dec 2018 Lee NelsonBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 to Fri 14th Sep 2018 Marcel LucontBuy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 to Sat 30th Jun 2018 Nina Conti: Work In ProgressBuy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Jun 2018 Live at the Chapel, Milton Jones, Nina Conti, John RobinsUnion Chapel (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Mon 4th Jun 2018 Ali George, Tom Allen, Bath Fringe FestivalOld Theatre Royal (Bath)Buy Tickets
- Wed 6th Jun 2018 Josh Widdicombe, Tom Allen, Ivo Graham, John RobinsQueen Square (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 to Wed 14th Nov 2018 Tom AllenBuy Tickets
- Wed 27th Jun 2018 to Sat 10th Nov 2018 Bridget ChristieBuy Tickets
- Wed 11th Jul 2018 to Sun 29th Jul 2018 Barry HumphriesBuy Tickets
- Sat 21st Jul 2018 and Thu 20th Dec 2018 Mrs Barbara NiceBuy Tickets
- Fri 27th Jul 2018 Paul ZerdinViva Blackpool (Blackpool)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Sep 2018 Live at the Chapel, Tom AllenUnion Chapel (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Oct 2018 Kent Comedy Festival, Lee Nelson, Mo GilliganMote Park (Maidstone)Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Oct 2018 Ivan Brackenbury, Tom Lucy, Ian D Montfort, Keith Farnan, St...The Corn Exchange (Devizes)Buy Tickets
- Wed 10th Oct 2018 to Fri 19th Oct 2018 Pam AnnBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Nov 2018 Jasper Carrott, Alistair McGowanBarbican Centre (York)Buy Tickets
- Tue 11th Dec 2018 to Sun 23rd Dec 2018 Al MurrayBuy Tickets