Top Rinks - Get Your Skates on for a Winter Whizz Around the Ice in London 2009/ 2010
Come on kids - it's time to get your blades out. No I'm not talking about attending a cooking class or an innocent bit of playground beefing, I'm talking about ice-blades because it is officially skating season in the capital. It's cheap, it's fun and it's a great community-spirited thing, partly because most of us are crap at standing up on boots with steel supports on the soles no more than 5 or 6 mm across. On frozen water. But it is also a lovely way to meet people (you spend most of the time hugging people you have never met before and helping them, or yourself, back up from the ice).
London has some great places to skate as the phenomenon of street-skating continues to rise. Here are the biggest and most unusual spots to practice your 'triple salchows' and 'double axels'. AllGigs accepts no responsibility for failing to impress anyone with the above moves!
Situated on the North bank of the Thames, Somerset House is as grand as it gets so whizzing round like Torville & Dean should be a doddle. Tickets cost £10.50 for 1 hour's worth of time on the rink. The venue also has some special DJ nights including Sat 21 Nov/Fri 27 Nov (Ministry Of Sound), Sat 5 Dec (Horse Meat Disco) and Fri 8 Jan (Bollywood Night). On these special DJ nights, tickets cost £15 for any 1 hr session from 8pm onwards. Click on the links for full details of other DJ nights. The rink's last night is January 24th 2010.
Hampton Court / Tower of London
Billed as 'Ice at the Palace' and 'Ice at the Tower', outdoor skating gets royally represented at these two venues. Hampton Court is kind of replacing the Kew Gardens rink this year but it's no less impressive. It's an easy-peasy place to get to from London's Waterloo and Surbiton by rail (the traffic here is abominable), or by using your feet through Bushy Park or along the Thames. Of course you might not want to use them heading back - so take the bus or the train. Simples. £8 for tickets. Bargain. The Tower Of London, near Tower Hill tube, costs the same and is another amazing and historical venue. It's also very Central and accessible from East London.
Natural History Museum
Another historical venue resides in South Ken. It's full of dainty relics so why not amble around the exhibits before having a session on the rink outside? Tickets for the ice spectacular are £11.50 for an hour. You could certainly make a day of it in South Kensington - the V&A is a hobble away so you could make it a cultural family day-out.
Elsewhere in London
As well as these fabulous places, there are other rinks erected at Wembley Stadium, Canary Wharf and the Hyde Park 'Winter Wonderland' attraction. Just check the drop down choice above. All venues have skate hire, cafes and other attractions. Just a tip - an hour might not sound very long for the money but it IS very tiring on the calves and bum. Trust me. Been there, skated that, nursed it later. But it is a lot of laughs.
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 Ice SkatingAlexandra Palace (London)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Feb 2018 Ice SkatingAlexandra Palace (London)Buy Tickets
- Sun 25th Feb 2018 Ice SkatingAlexandra Palace (London)Buy Tickets
- Mon 26th Feb 2018 Ice SkatingAlexandra Palace (London)Buy Tickets
- Tue 27th Feb 2018 Ice SkatingAlexandra Palace (London)Buy Tickets
- Wed 28th Feb 2018 Ice SkatingAlexandra Palace (London)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 to Wed 31st Oct 2018 Kew GardensBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Mar 2018 to Sun 25th Mar 2018 Torvill and Dean - Dancing on IceBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Mar 2018 to Tue 30th Oct 2018 Madame TussaudsBuy Tickets
- Wed 4th Apr 2018 to Sun 8th Apr 2018 Disney On Ice: Worlds of EnchantmentBuy Tickets
- Tue 14th Aug 2018 to Sat 8th Sep 2018 Dinosaur World LiveBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 to Sun 25th Nov 2018 Ideal Home Show at ChristmasBuy Tickets
- Wed 12th Dec 2018 to Sun 23rd Dec 2018 Carols by CandlelightBuy Tickets
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 and Sat 22nd Dec 2018 Christmas Carol SingalongBuy Tickets
- Thu 20th Dec 2018 Christmas ClassicsBarbican (City of London)Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Dec 2018 Jingle Bell ChristmasBarbican (City of London)Buy Tickets
- Mon 31st Dec 2018 Nativity! The MusicalEventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets