Paul McCartney for O2 Arena debut: 22nd December 2009
Following a sellout stadium tour of the US this summer, Paul McCartney today announces his first European Tour since 2004, "Good Evening Europe". This December will see Macca play seven special arena shows across Europe, culminating with his first ever public performance at The O2 arena in London, which will be his only UK date of this year. Other firsts on this tour will include shows at Berlin's O2 World venue and Dublin's The O2. Paul's legendary live performances are a once in a lifetime opportunity to experience. The audience gets to re-live some of the greatest moments in music from the last 40 years, many of which have become the soundtrack to living.
The O2 arena in London will host Paul's final show of 2009 where he will bring the year to an end on a high. This will be his ONLY live show in the UK this year! Paul's last UK show was a massive sellout concert at Anfield Stadium in 2008. At the time the Liverpool Echo wrote, "If Anfield had a roof, Macca would have blown it off." The O2 arena does have a roof so it's set to be a massive night of excitement and rock n' roll Macca style! Although this is Paul's first public performance at The O2 he is very familiar with the venue. In 2004, before The O2 was up and running as the world's greatest music venue, Paul used the Millennium Dome (as it was known then) for rehearsals for his massive stadium "04 Summer Tour" which ended with Paul headlining the Glastonbury Festival which has gone down in rock history as the greatest festival moment ever. Although his rehearsals at the Millennium Dome were meant to be top secret, he was soon rumbled when a near by resident complained about the rock n' roll noise upsetting his cat!
Before Paul reaches The O2 he will be visiting Hamburg, Berlin, Arnhem, Paris, Cologne and Dublin all this December.
Speaking about the tour, Paul said: "This is my chance to bring our current show home to where it all began. Starting in Hamburg, ending in London and rocking everywhere in between. I'm very much looking forward to ending the year on a high."
David Campbell, CEO of AEG Europe, owners and operators of The O2: "Paul McCartney is the dream act. I am absolutely thrilled that dream has now become a reality for The O2 and this true British music icon will play the building. It doesn't get much better than this.'
What a year 2009 has been for Paul. He kicked it off by teaming up with Dave Grohl to perform "I Saw Her Standing There" at the Grammys, where he was also nominated for two awards. In April, Paul performed in New York at the David Lynch Foundation's benefit concert, "Change Begins Within". He was joined on stage with Ringo Starr for a special finale. Paul also headlined the Coachella Festival (his first US festival appearance) and performed a show to mark the opening of The New Joint at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas, a gig which sold out in seven seconds, setting a new sales record with tickets selling at a rate of 600 a second! July 11th took Paul to Halifax, Nova Scotia for his first ever concert there, which took place on the Halifax Commons. The mayor of Halifax described the show as the largest and most exciting concert in its 260 year history.
Following Halifax, Paul embarked on a five-week tour of the US; 'Summer Live '09'. The tour commenced with the inaugural run of shows at New York's Citi Field Stadium, which was the site of the former Shea Stadium where The Beatles made history in 1965 when they played a concert that set the precedent for the modern day stadium rock show. Critics hailed the Citi Field performances, seen by over 120,000 people, as the concert experience of a lifetime. The tour concluded in Dallas on the 19th of August.
For those of you who won't be able to make it to one of the European shows this Christmas you can re-live the Macca magic with 'Good Evening New York City', a multi-disc CD/DVD featuring performances recorded at New York's Citi Field from Paul's 'Summer Live '09' tour.
Tickets will be available from Monday 26 October, costing between £55 and £125 + booking fee.
You may be interested in
- Sat 20th Jul 2019 to Fri 15th Nov 2019 Thriller LiveBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Jul 2019 and Fri 26th Jul 2019 Burt BacharachBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Jul 2019 Feels like Summer: Bananarama, Bonnie TylerSophia Gardens (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Jul 2019 to Sat 27th Jul 2019 Tom JonesBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Jul 2019 to Sat 16th Nov 2019 Jackson Live in Concert - starring BenBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Jul 2019 Rewind Scotland, Foreigner, Lulu, Paul Young, Eddi Reader, J...Scone Palace (Perth and Kinross)Buy Tickets
- Sun 21st Jul 2019 Rewind Scotland, Bryan Ferry, The Stranglers, Lisa Stansfiel...Scone Palace (Perth and Kinross)Buy Tickets
- Sun 21st Jul 2019 Ramblin' Man Fair, Foreigner, Airbourne, Beth Hart, Inglorio...Mote Park (Maidstone)Buy Tickets
- Sun 21st Jul 2019 Warton Music Festival, Neville Staple, Stone Foundation, Mar...Bentley Farm (Tamworth)Buy Tickets
- Thu 25th Jul 2019 to Wed 6th Nov 2019 Gordon HaskellBuy Tickets
- Fri 26th Jul 2019 to Sun 18th Aug 2019 The OrbBuy Tickets
- Sat 27th Jul 2019 and Sun 28th Jul 2019 Tears for Fears: Rule the WorldBuy Tickets
- Sat 27th Jul 2019 Heather Small, Rowetta, Sara Garvey, Orchestra of Opera Nort...Millennium Square (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Aug 2019 to Fri 18th Oct 2019 Navi [Michael Jackson Impersonator]Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Aug 2019 Rewind North, Gloria Gaynor, Bananarama, Tiffany, Heather Sm...Capesthorne Hall (Cheshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Aug 2019 Coombe Weekender, The Libertines, Tom Grennan, The Futurehea...Coombe Abbey Country Park (Coventry)Buy Tickets
- Thu 8th Aug 2019 to Wed 14th Aug 2019 Killing JokeBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Aug 2019 to Thu 24th Oct 2019 Nick HarperBuy Tickets
- Sat 10th Aug 2019 Terry Reid, Ash Soan, Annie Whitehead, Jennifer MaidmanRonnie Scotts (Soho)Buy Tickets
- Sat 17th Aug 2019 Rewind South, The Four Tops, Lulu, Heaven 17, Heather Small,...Henley (Henley-on-Thames)Buy Tickets
- Sat 17th Aug 2019 DJ Craig Charles, james, Lisa Stansfield, Manic Street Preac...Hardwick Hall Hotel (Durham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 17th Aug 2019 Alice CooperThe Forum (Darlington)Buy Tickets
- Sun 18th Aug 2019 Hardwick Live, james, Lisa StansfieldHardwick Hall and Park (Durham)Buy Tickets
- Sun 18th Aug 2019 Rewind South, Michael Bolton, Belinda Carlisle, Paul Young, ...Henley (Henley-on-Thames)Buy Tickets
- Thu 29th Aug 2019 and Sun 1st Sep 2019 Duff McKaganBuy Tickets
- Thu 29th Aug 2019 and Sat 31st Aug 2019 Don McLeanBuy Tickets
- Fri 30th Aug 2019 to Fri 1st Nov 2019 ShalamarBuy Tickets
- Sat 31st Aug 2019 to Fri 1st Nov 2019 Gilbert O'SullivanBuy Tickets
- Sat 31st Aug 2019 Queen Machine, Kerry Ellis: SymphonicOpen Air Theatre (Scarborough)Buy Tickets
- Sun 1st Sep 2019 Nine Below Zero, Zal Cleminson's Sin DogsThe Apex (Bury St Edmunds)Buy Tickets
- Tue 3rd Sep 2019 to Wed 9th Oct 2019 Ferris and SylvesterBuy Tickets
- Wed 4th Sep 2019 The FutureheadsBonded Warehouse (Sunderland)Buy Tickets
- Fri 6th Sep 2019 The FeelingHolmfirth Picturedrome (West Yorkshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 7th Sep 2019 Electric Soul Festival: Kool & the Gang, Level 42, Heather Small, The Brand New ...The O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Mon 9th Sep 2019 to Wed 11th Sep 2019 Larry CarltonBuy Tickets
- Sat 14th Sep 2019 BBC Proms in the Park, Barry Manilow, Chrissie Hynde, Jack S...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Sun 15th Sep 2019 BBC Radio 2 Live in Hyde Park, Simply Red, Clean Bandit, Pet...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Tue 17th Sep 2019 to Thu 26th Sep 2019 Average White BandBuy Tickets
- Wed 18th Sep 2019 Bonnie TylerLondon Palladium (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Thu 19th Sep 2019 Maggie Bell, Dave KellyThe Marine Theatre - Lyme Regis (Dorset)Buy Tickets
- Fri 20th Sep 2019 and Sat 21st Sep 2019 Jah WobbleBuy Tickets
- Wed 25th Sep 2019 Jethro TullCork Opera House (Cork)Buy Tickets
- Wed 2nd Oct 2019 and Wed 9th Oct 2019 Iain MatthewsBuy Tickets
- Thu 3rd Oct 2019 to Tue 29th Oct 2019 Al StewartBuy Tickets
- Fri 4th Oct 2019 to Sat 12th Oct 2019 Alice Cooper, The Stranglers, MC50: Ol Black Eyes Is BackBuy Tickets
- Fri 4th Oct 2019 Transatlantic Sound System: Huey Morgan, Don LettsHolmfirth Picturedrome (West Yorkshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 5th Oct 2019 to Sat 16th Nov 2019 Nine Below Zero, Dennis Greaves and Mark FelthamBuy Tickets
- Sat 5th Oct 2019 The Sounds of Otis Redding: Mudibu, Jezebel Sextet, Resident Blues DJJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Mon 7th Oct 2019 to Mon 21st Oct 2019 Chris de BurghBuy Tickets
- Sat 12th Oct 2019 and Thu 24th Oct 2019 Maggie BellBuy Tickets
- Sat 12th Oct 2019 The Warehouse Project, Hacienda Classical, Soul II Soul, A C...: The Hacienda Must Be BuiltMayfield Depot (Manchester)Buy Tickets