Paul McCartney for O2 Arena debut: 22nd December 2009
Following a sellout stadium tour of the US this summer, Paul McCartney today announces his first European Tour since 2004, "Good Evening Europe". This December will see Macca play seven special arena shows across Europe, culminating with his first ever public performance at The O2 arena in London, which will be his only UK date of this year. Other firsts on this tour will include shows at Berlin's O2 World venue and Dublin's The O2. Paul's legendary live performances are a once in a lifetime opportunity to experience. The audience gets to re-live some of the greatest moments in music from the last 40 years, many of which have become the soundtrack to living.
The O2 arena in London will host Paul's final show of 2009 where he will bring the year to an end on a high. This will be his ONLY live show in the UK this year! Paul's last UK show was a massive sellout concert at Anfield Stadium in 2008. At the time the Liverpool Echo wrote, "If Anfield had a roof, Macca would have blown it off." The O2 arena does have a roof so it's set to be a massive night of excitement and rock n' roll Macca style! Although this is Paul's first public performance at The O2 he is very familiar with the venue. In 2004, before The O2 was up and running as the world's greatest music venue, Paul used the Millennium Dome (as it was known then) for rehearsals for his massive stadium "04 Summer Tour" which ended with Paul headlining the Glastonbury Festival which has gone down in rock history as the greatest festival moment ever. Although his rehearsals at the Millennium Dome were meant to be top secret, he was soon rumbled when a near by resident complained about the rock n' roll noise upsetting his cat!
Before Paul reaches The O2 he will be visiting Hamburg, Berlin, Arnhem, Paris, Cologne and Dublin all this December.
Speaking about the tour, Paul said: "This is my chance to bring our current show home to where it all began. Starting in Hamburg, ending in London and rocking everywhere in between. I'm very much looking forward to ending the year on a high."
David Campbell, CEO of AEG Europe, owners and operators of The O2: "Paul McCartney is the dream act. I am absolutely thrilled that dream has now become a reality for The O2 and this true British music icon will play the building. It doesn't get much better than this.'
What a year 2009 has been for Paul. He kicked it off by teaming up with Dave Grohl to perform "I Saw Her Standing There" at the Grammys, where he was also nominated for two awards. In April, Paul performed in New York at the David Lynch Foundation's benefit concert, "Change Begins Within". He was joined on stage with Ringo Starr for a special finale. Paul also headlined the Coachella Festival (his first US festival appearance) and performed a show to mark the opening of The New Joint at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas, a gig which sold out in seven seconds, setting a new sales record with tickets selling at a rate of 600 a second! July 11th took Paul to Halifax, Nova Scotia for his first ever concert there, which took place on the Halifax Commons. The mayor of Halifax described the show as the largest and most exciting concert in its 260 year history.
Following Halifax, Paul embarked on a five-week tour of the US; 'Summer Live '09'. The tour commenced with the inaugural run of shows at New York's Citi Field Stadium, which was the site of the former Shea Stadium where The Beatles made history in 1965 when they played a concert that set the precedent for the modern day stadium rock show. Critics hailed the Citi Field performances, seen by over 120,000 people, as the concert experience of a lifetime. The tour concluded in Dallas on the 19th of August.
For those of you who won't be able to make it to one of the European shows this Christmas you can re-live the Macca magic with 'Good Evening New York City', a multi-disc CD/DVD featuring performances recorded at New York's Citi Field from Paul's 'Summer Live '09' tour.
Tickets will be available from Monday 26 October, costing between £55 and £125 + booking fee.
- Wed 12th Dec 2018 Paul McCartney: Freshen UpEcho Arena/ The Auditorium (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Fri 14th Dec 2018 Paul McCartney: Freshen UpSSE Hydro (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sun 16th Dec 2018 Paul McCartney: Freshen UpThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Thu 18th Oct 2018 to Fri 26th Oct 2018 Jeff Lynne's ELOBuy Tickets
- Thu 18th Oct 2018 to Sat 8th Dec 2018 From the Jam, Nine Below Zero: All Mod ConsBuy Tickets
- Thu 18th Oct 2018 to Sun 25th Nov 2018 Hawkwind: In Search of Utopia - Infinity and BeyondBuy Tickets
- Thu 18th Oct 2018 to Sat 17th Nov 2018 10ccBuy Tickets
- Thu 18th Oct 2018 to Fri 2nd Nov 2018 The Feeling: Twelve Years and HomeBuy Tickets
- Thu 18th Oct 2018 to Sat 23rd Feb 2019 Thriller LiveBuy Tickets
- Thu 18th Oct 2018 and Fri 19th Oct 2018 The Orb, System 7: Greatest Hits/ No Sounds Are Out of BoundsBuy Tickets
- Thu 18th Oct 2018 to Sun 21st Oct 2018 Michael Jackson: On The WallBuy Tickets
- Fri 19th Oct 2018 to Sat 10th Nov 2018 U2: eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCEBuy Tickets
- Fri 19th Oct 2018 to Mon 19th Nov 2018 Michael BoltonBuy Tickets
- Fri 19th Oct 2018 AmericaLondon Palladium (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 19th Oct 2018 to Mon 29th Oct 2018 Joan ArmatradingBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Oct 2018 The Orb: Greatest Hits/ No Sounds Are Out of BoundsO2 Academy Sheffield (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Sun 21st Oct 2018 to Sat 16th Feb 2019 Jackson Live in Concert - starring BenBuy Tickets
- Sun 21st Oct 2018 to Tue 30th Oct 2018 Paul Young: 35 Years of No ParlezBuy Tickets
- Sun 21st Oct 2018 and Tue 23rd Oct 2018 Steve ForbertBuy Tickets
- Mon 22nd Oct 2018 to Sat 27th Oct 2018 Let It BeBuy Tickets
- Mon 22nd Oct 2018 Van MorrisonHippodrome (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Tue 23rd Oct 2018 to Wed 21st Nov 2018 Nerina PallotBuy Tickets
- Tue 23rd Oct 2018 and Tue 30th Oct 2018 Duane Eddy, Robert VincentBuy Tickets
- Wed 24th Oct 2018 to Fri 23rd Nov 2018 Stone FoundationBuy Tickets
- Wed 24th Oct 2018 to Fri 22nd Feb 2019 London Philharmonic Orchestra: Poetry and PassionBuy Tickets
- Thu 25th Oct 2018 and Sun 28th Oct 2018 Maggie Bell, Dave KellyBuy Tickets
- Fri 26th Oct 2018 BluesFest, Robert Plant and the Sensational Space Shifters, ...The O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sat 27th Oct 2018 and Sun 28th Oct 2018 Stepback - the 80s Concert, Tony Hadley, ABC, Bonnie Tyler, ...Buy Tickets
- Sun 28th Oct 2018 BluesFest: Robert Plant, Van Morrison3arena (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Sun 28th Oct 2018 and Mon 5th Nov 2018 Curtis StigersBuy Tickets
- Thu 1st Nov 2018 to Sat 2nd Feb 2019 Nick HarperBuy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Nov 2018 to Sat 17th Nov 2018 Killing Joke: Laugh at Your PerilBuy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Nov 2018 to Thu 24th Jan 2019 Robbie McIntoshBuy Tickets
- Sun 4th Nov 2018 to Mon 12th Nov 2018 The DecemberistsBuy Tickets
- Mon 5th Nov 2018 and Fri 9th Nov 2018 Zoe Francis, Jim MullenBuy Tickets
- Mon 5th Nov 2018 Spiritland Talks: The Art of Noise, Anne Dudley, JJ JeczalikSpiritland (Kings Cross)Buy Tickets
- Tue 6th Nov 2018 to Thu 8th Nov 2018 Neko CaseBuy Tickets
- Wed 7th Nov 2018 Colin StetsonEartH [Hackney Arts Centre] (Stoke Newington)Buy Tickets
- Wed 7th Nov 2018 to Fri 14th Dec 2018 Aynsley ListerBuy Tickets
- Wed 7th Nov 2018 BBC Children In Need Rocks, George Ezra, Jess Glynne, Nile R...Wembley SSE Arena (Wembley)Buy Tickets
- Thu 8th Nov 2018 Los Pacaminos, Paul YoungThe Civic Hall - Cottingham (East Riding of Yorkshire)Buy Tickets
- Thu 8th Nov 2018 to Sat 9th Feb 2019 Henry PriestmanBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Nov 2018 to Sun 10th Feb 2019 Jah WobbleBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Nov 2018 Bude Blues Festival, Focus, Thorbjorn Risager and the Black ...Penstowe Manor (Bude)Buy Tickets
- Sat 10th Nov 2018 Sad CaféThe Cinnamon Club (Altrincham)Buy Tickets
- Sun 11th Nov 2018 Navi [Michael Jackson Impersonator]Opera House (Blackpool)Buy Tickets
- Sun 11th Nov 2018 Terence BlanchardJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Fri 16th Nov 2018 Fleetwood MacMonroes Live (Galway)Buy Tickets
- Sun 18th Nov 2018 Peter Bruntnell, B. J. ColeCaroline Street Social Club/ Live Room (Shipley)Buy Tickets
- Sun 18th Nov 2018 London Jazz Festival, Bill Frisell: Guitar In The Space Age!Cadogan Hall (Kensington and Chelsea)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Nov 2018 and Sat 1st Dec 2018 A Certain RatioBuy Tickets
- Sat 24th Nov 2018 and Tue 27th Nov 2018 ShalamarBuy Tickets
- Sun 25th Nov 2018 Monty Alexander, London Jazz FestivalCadogan Hall (Kensington and Chelsea)Buy Tickets
- Sun 25th Nov 2018 London Jazz Festival, Melody GardotRoyal Festival Hall (Lambeth)Buy Tickets