Paul McCartney for O2 Arena debut: 22nd December 2009
Following a sellout stadium tour of the US this summer, Paul McCartney today announces his first European Tour since 2004, "Good Evening Europe". This December will see Macca play seven special arena shows across Europe, culminating with his first ever public performance at The O2 arena in London, which will be his only UK date of this year. Other firsts on this tour will include shows at Berlin's O2 World venue and Dublin's The O2. Paul's legendary live performances are a once in a lifetime opportunity to experience. The audience gets to re-live some of the greatest moments in music from the last 40 years, many of which have become the soundtrack to living.
The O2 arena in London will host Paul's final show of 2009 where he will bring the year to an end on a high. This will be his ONLY live show in the UK this year! Paul's last UK show was a massive sellout concert at Anfield Stadium in 2008. At the time the Liverpool Echo wrote, "If Anfield had a roof, Macca would have blown it off." The O2 arena does have a roof so it's set to be a massive night of excitement and rock n' roll Macca style! Although this is Paul's first public performance at The O2 he is very familiar with the venue. In 2004, before The O2 was up and running as the world's greatest music venue, Paul used the Millennium Dome (as it was known then) for rehearsals for his massive stadium "04 Summer Tour" which ended with Paul headlining the Glastonbury Festival which has gone down in rock history as the greatest festival moment ever. Although his rehearsals at the Millennium Dome were meant to be top secret, he was soon rumbled when a near by resident complained about the rock n' roll noise upsetting his cat!
Before Paul reaches The O2 he will be visiting Hamburg, Berlin, Arnhem, Paris, Cologne and Dublin all this December.
Speaking about the tour, Paul said: "This is my chance to bring our current show home to where it all began. Starting in Hamburg, ending in London and rocking everywhere in between. I'm very much looking forward to ending the year on a high."
David Campbell, CEO of AEG Europe, owners and operators of The O2: "Paul McCartney is the dream act. I am absolutely thrilled that dream has now become a reality for The O2 and this true British music icon will play the building. It doesn't get much better than this.'
What a year 2009 has been for Paul. He kicked it off by teaming up with Dave Grohl to perform "I Saw Her Standing There" at the Grammys, where he was also nominated for two awards. In April, Paul performed in New York at the David Lynch Foundation's benefit concert, "Change Begins Within". He was joined on stage with Ringo Starr for a special finale. Paul also headlined the Coachella Festival (his first US festival appearance) and performed a show to mark the opening of The New Joint at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas, a gig which sold out in seven seconds, setting a new sales record with tickets selling at a rate of 600 a second! July 11th took Paul to Halifax, Nova Scotia for his first ever concert there, which took place on the Halifax Commons. The mayor of Halifax described the show as the largest and most exciting concert in its 260 year history.
Following Halifax, Paul embarked on a five-week tour of the US; 'Summer Live '09'. The tour commenced with the inaugural run of shows at New York's Citi Field Stadium, which was the site of the former Shea Stadium where The Beatles made history in 1965 when they played a concert that set the precedent for the modern day stadium rock show. Critics hailed the Citi Field performances, seen by over 120,000 people, as the concert experience of a lifetime. The tour concluded in Dallas on the 19th of August.
For those of you who won't be able to make it to one of the European shows this Christmas you can re-live the Macca magic with 'Good Evening New York City', a multi-disc CD/DVD featuring performances recorded at New York's Citi Field from Paul's 'Summer Live '09' tour.
Tickets will be available from Monday 26 October, costing between £55 and £125 + booking fee.
You may be interested in
- Sat 21st Sep 2019 to Sat 8th Feb 2020 Thriller LiveBuy Tickets
- Sat 21st Sep 2019 to Sat 8th Feb 2020 Jah WobbleBuy Tickets
- Sun 22nd Sep 2019 to Wed 9th Oct 2019 Ferris and SylvesterBuy Tickets
- Wed 25th Sep 2019 Jethro TullCork Opera House (Cork)Buy Tickets
- Wed 25th Sep 2019 10ccKomedia (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Thu 26th Sep 2019 to Fri 31st Jan 2020 Jackson Live in Concert - starring BenBuy Tickets
- Wed 2nd Oct 2019 and Wed 9th Oct 2019 Iain MatthewsBuy Tickets
- Thu 3rd Oct 2019 to Tue 29th Oct 2019 Al StewartBuy Tickets
- Fri 4th Oct 2019 to Sat 12th Oct 2019 Alice Cooper, The Stranglers, MC50: Ol Black Eyes Is BackBuy Tickets
- Fri 4th Oct 2019 Transatlantic Sound System: Huey Morgan, Don LettsHolmfirth Picturedrome (West Yorkshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 5th Oct 2019 to Sat 14th Dec 2019 Nine Below Zero, Dennis Greaves and Mark FelthamBuy Tickets
- Sat 5th Oct 2019 The Sounds of Otis Redding: Mudibu, Jezebel Sextet, Resident Blues DJJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Mon 7th Oct 2019 to Mon 21st Oct 2019 Chris de BurghBuy Tickets
- Mon 7th Oct 2019 and Fri 1st Nov 2019 Gilbert O'SullivanBuy Tickets
- Sat 12th Oct 2019 and Thu 24th Oct 2019 Maggie BellBuy Tickets
- Sat 12th Oct 2019 The Warehouse Project, Hacienda Classical, Soul II Soul, A C...: The Hacienda Must Be BuiltMayfield Depot (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 12th Oct 2019 Michael Weston KingKingsmead House (High Wycombe)Buy Tickets
- Sun 13th Oct 2019 to Fri 18th Oct 2019 John MayerBuy Tickets
- Mon 14th Oct 2019 to Sat 30th Nov 2019 Navi [Michael Jackson Impersonator]Buy Tickets
- Mon 14th Oct 2019 to Fri 7th Feb 2020 Paul CarrackBuy Tickets
- Tue 15th Oct 2019 Bill FrisellCadogan Hall (Kensington and Chelsea)Buy Tickets
- Wed 16th Oct 2019 to Mon 28th Oct 2019 Sinéad O'ConnorBuy Tickets
- Thu 17th Oct 2019 And In The End...: The Bootleg Beatles, Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra,...Royal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Thu 17th Oct 2019 Carroll ThompsonThe Jam House (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th Oct 2019 to Wed 6th Nov 2019 Gordon HaskellBuy Tickets
- Fri 18th Oct 2019 and Fri 1st Nov 2019 ShalamarBuy Tickets
- Fri 18th Oct 2019 to Fri 6th Dec 2019 Nick HarperBuy Tickets
- Sat 19th Oct 2019 to Fri 15th Nov 2019 Elkie BrooksBuy Tickets
- Sun 20th Oct 2019 Andy Mackay, Phil ManzaneraNew Alexandra Theatre (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Sun 20th Oct 2019 to Mon 28th Oct 2019 Albert HammondBuy Tickets
- Mon 21st Oct 2019 to Fri 1st Nov 2019 Lisa StansfieldBuy Tickets
- Mon 21st Oct 2019 Alison BalsomBarbican (City of London)Buy Tickets
- Mon 21st Oct 2019 to Thu 2nd Jan 2020 Van MorrisonBuy Tickets
- Tue 22nd Oct 2019 to Fri 8th Nov 2019 Christopher Cross: Take Me as I AmBuy Tickets
- Thu 24th Oct 2019 to Mon 28th Oct 2019 Indigo GirlsBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th Oct 2019 and Wed 4th Dec 2019 Don LettsBuy Tickets
- Sun 27th Oct 2019 BluesFest, Rickie Lee JonesIndigo at the O2 (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Mon 28th Oct 2019 Hamish StuartRonnie Scotts (Soho)Buy Tickets
- Mon 28th Oct 2019 and Wed 30th Oct 2019 Rickie Lee JonesBuy Tickets
- Tue 29th Oct 2019 and Wed 30th Oct 2019 Colin StetsonBuy Tickets
- Wed 30th Oct 2019 to Sun 3rd Nov 2019 Jonathan WilsonBuy Tickets
- Thu 31st Oct 2019 to Sat 14th Dec 2019 Stone FoundationBuy Tickets
- Fri 1st Nov 2019 and Sun 3rd Nov 2019 Bruce HornsbyBuy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Nov 2019 to Wed 11th Dec 2019 A Certain RatioBuy Tickets
- Sat 9th Nov 2019 10ccloMasham Town Hall (Harrogate)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Nov 2019 2Q Festival, The Pale White, The Futureheads, The Blinders, ...Various Venues (Lincoln)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Nov 2019 and Wed 18th Dec 2019 Forever JacksonBuy Tickets
- Sun 10th Nov 2019 Georgie FameAlexandra Palace (London)Buy Tickets
- Sun 10th Nov 2019 to Tue 26th Nov 2019 Hawkwind: 50th AnniversaryBuy Tickets
- Sun 10th Nov 2019 Bude Blues Festival, Sugaray Rayford, Nine Below ZeroPenstowe Manor (Bude)Buy Tickets
- Mon 11th Nov 2019 Judith HillUnder the Bridge (Fulham)Buy Tickets