Paul McCartney for O2 Arena debut: 22nd December 2009
Following a sellout stadium tour of the US this summer, Paul McCartney today announces his first European Tour since 2004, "Good Evening Europe". This December will see Macca play seven special arena shows across Europe, culminating with his first ever public performance at The O2 arena in London, which will be his only UK date of this year. Other firsts on this tour will include shows at Berlin's O2 World venue and Dublin's The O2. Paul's legendary live performances are a once in a lifetime opportunity to experience. The audience gets to re-live some of the greatest moments in music from the last 40 years, many of which have become the soundtrack to living.
The O2 arena in London will host Paul's final show of 2009 where he will bring the year to an end on a high. This will be his ONLY live show in the UK this year! Paul's last UK show was a massive sellout concert at Anfield Stadium in 2008. At the time the Liverpool Echo wrote, "If Anfield had a roof, Macca would have blown it off." The O2 arena does have a roof so it's set to be a massive night of excitement and rock n' roll Macca style! Although this is Paul's first public performance at The O2 he is very familiar with the venue. In 2004, before The O2 was up and running as the world's greatest music venue, Paul used the Millennium Dome (as it was known then) for rehearsals for his massive stadium "04 Summer Tour" which ended with Paul headlining the Glastonbury Festival which has gone down in rock history as the greatest festival moment ever. Although his rehearsals at the Millennium Dome were meant to be top secret, he was soon rumbled when a near by resident complained about the rock n' roll noise upsetting his cat!
Before Paul reaches The O2 he will be visiting Hamburg, Berlin, Arnhem, Paris, Cologne and Dublin all this December.
Speaking about the tour, Paul said: "This is my chance to bring our current show home to where it all began. Starting in Hamburg, ending in London and rocking everywhere in between. I'm very much looking forward to ending the year on a high."
David Campbell, CEO of AEG Europe, owners and operators of The O2: "Paul McCartney is the dream act. I am absolutely thrilled that dream has now become a reality for The O2 and this true British music icon will play the building. It doesn't get much better than this.'
What a year 2009 has been for Paul. He kicked it off by teaming up with Dave Grohl to perform "I Saw Her Standing There" at the Grammys, where he was also nominated for two awards. In April, Paul performed in New York at the David Lynch Foundation's benefit concert, "Change Begins Within". He was joined on stage with Ringo Starr for a special finale. Paul also headlined the Coachella Festival (his first US festival appearance) and performed a show to mark the opening of The New Joint at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas, a gig which sold out in seven seconds, setting a new sales record with tickets selling at a rate of 600 a second! July 11th took Paul to Halifax, Nova Scotia for his first ever concert there, which took place on the Halifax Commons. The mayor of Halifax described the show as the largest and most exciting concert in its 260 year history.
Following Halifax, Paul embarked on a five-week tour of the US; 'Summer Live '09'. The tour commenced with the inaugural run of shows at New York's Citi Field Stadium, which was the site of the former Shea Stadium where The Beatles made history in 1965 when they played a concert that set the precedent for the modern day stadium rock show. Critics hailed the Citi Field performances, seen by over 120,000 people, as the concert experience of a lifetime. The tour concluded in Dallas on the 19th of August.
For those of you who won't be able to make it to one of the European shows this Christmas you can re-live the Macca magic with 'Good Evening New York City', a multi-disc CD/DVD featuring performances recorded at New York's Citi Field from Paul's 'Summer Live '09' tour.
Tickets will be available from Monday 26 October, costing between £55 and £125 + booking fee.
You may be interested in
- Tue 20th Feb 2018 to Sat 9th Jun 2018 Thriller LiveBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Feb 2018 to Fri 23rd Mar 2018 The ScriptBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Feb 2018 to Thu 29th Mar 2018 Paul YoungBuy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Feb 2018 to Sat 24th Mar 2018 Paul CarrackBuy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Feb 2018 to Sun 20th May 2018 SmokieBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 and Sun 18th Mar 2018 Kathryn WilliamsBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 Pure McCartney, Tony CoburnNight People (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sun 25th Feb 2018 to Fri 2nd Mar 2018 Rickie Lee JonesBuy Tickets
- Sun 25th Feb 2018 Vonda ShepardThe Tithe Barn - Bishop's Cleeve (Tewkesbury)Buy Tickets
- Thu 1st Mar 2018 to Sun 8th Apr 2018 Macca: The Paul McCartney StoryBuy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Mar 2018 to Sat 7th Apr 2018 Nick HarperBuy Tickets
- Tue 6th Mar 2018 to Tue 27th Mar 2018 Wicked Workshop: Kerry EllisBuy Tickets
- Tue 6th Mar 2018 D'Angelo, Pino Palladino, Omar: D'TOUREventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Thu 8th Mar 2018 to Tue 20th Mar 2018 Jackson Live in Concert - starring BenBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Mar 2018 to Wed 14th Mar 2018 Randy Newman: Dark MatterBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Mar 2018 to Sat 31st Mar 2018 Alabama 3Buy Tickets
- Fri 9th Mar 2018 The Art of Noise, DJ Food: Reboot In Visible SilenceBritish Library (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 10th Mar 2018 to Sat 5th May 2018 Detroit Social ClubBuy Tickets
- Sun 11th Mar 2018 Nearly Dan, Steely DanJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sun 11th Mar 2018 to Thu 15th Mar 2018 Michael McDonaldBuy Tickets
- Wed 14th Mar 2018 to Tue 20th Mar 2018 Jonathan WilsonBuy Tickets
- Fri 16th Mar 2018 and Tue 20th Mar 2018 Paul Young, China CrisisBuy Tickets
- Fri 16th Mar 2018 to Fri 25th May 2018 A Certain RatioBuy Tickets
- Sat 17th Mar 2018 to Fri 27th Apr 2018 The HolliesBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Mar 2018 Jim MullenTalking Heads (Southampton)Buy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Mar 2018 Teenage Cancer Trust, Roger DaltreyRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Mar 2018 Paul Young, Los PacaminosRobin (Wolverhampton)Buy Tickets
- Thu 29th Mar 2018 Glenn Tilbrook, Nine Below ZeroNantwich Civic Hall (Cheshire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th Mar 2018 Thea GilmoreNantwich Civic Hall (Cheshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 31st Mar 2018 Dr Feelgood, Climax Blues Band: 50th Anniversary TourNantwich Civic Hall (Cheshire)Buy Tickets
- Sun 1st Apr 2018 to Sun 8th Apr 2018 TotoBuy Tickets
- Tue 3rd Apr 2018 to Tue 17th Apr 2018 Jethro Tull: 50th AnniversaryBuy Tickets
- Tue 3rd Apr 2018 Ginger BakerJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Fri 6th Apr 2018 to Sat 26th May 2018 Nine Below ZeroBuy Tickets
- Fri 6th Apr 2018 to Sat 21st Apr 2018 Lisa StansfieldBuy Tickets
- Sun 8th Apr 2018 to Mon 23rd Apr 2018 Nerina Pallot, Cattle and CaneBuy Tickets
- Mon 9th Apr 2018 to Thu 3rd May 2018 Bryan Ferry, Juanita SteinBuy Tickets
- Thu 12th Apr 2018 Maggie BellThe George Hotel - South Molton (Devon)Buy Tickets
- Thu 12th Apr 2018 to Sun 6th May 2018 Eric BibbBuy Tickets
- Fri 13th Apr 2018 to Wed 16th May 2018 Heather SmallBuy Tickets
- Fri 13th Apr 2018 Georgie FameFairkytes Arts Centre (Romford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 14th Apr 2018 and Sun 3rd Jun 2018 Elkie BrooksBuy Tickets
- Fri 20th Apr 2018 to Wed 25th Apr 2018 Colin BlunstoneBuy Tickets
- Fri 20th Apr 2018 to Sun 13th May 2018 ShalamarBuy Tickets
- Sat 21st Apr 2018 and Mon 23rd Apr 2018 Bryan FerryBuy Tickets
- Sun 22nd Apr 2018 to Sat 26th May 2018 Gilbert O'SullivanBuy Tickets
- Fri 27th Apr 2018 to Sat 12th May 2018 Tears for Fears, Alison Moyet: Rule the WorldBuy Tickets
- Sat 28th Apr 2018 and Sat 19th May 2018 Aynsley ListerBuy Tickets
- Sat 28th Apr 2018 Michael McDermottKingsmead House (High Wycombe)Buy Tickets
- Sun 29th Apr 2018 to Tue 12th Jun 2018 Don McLeanBuy Tickets
- Sat 5th May 2018 Henry PriestmanBerits and Brown (Motherwell)Buy Tickets