Paul McCartney for O2 Arena debut: 22nd December 2009
Following a sellout stadium tour of the US this summer, Paul McCartney today announces his first European Tour since 2004, "Good Evening Europe". This December will see Macca play seven special arena shows across Europe, culminating with his first ever public performance at The O2 arena in London, which will be his only UK date of this year. Other firsts on this tour will include shows at Berlin's O2 World venue and Dublin's The O2. Paul's legendary live performances are a once in a lifetime opportunity to experience. The audience gets to re-live some of the greatest moments in music from the last 40 years, many of which have become the soundtrack to living.
The O2 arena in London will host Paul's final show of 2009 where he will bring the year to an end on a high. This will be his ONLY live show in the UK this year! Paul's last UK show was a massive sellout concert at Anfield Stadium in 2008. At the time the Liverpool Echo wrote, "If Anfield had a roof, Macca would have blown it off." The O2 arena does have a roof so it's set to be a massive night of excitement and rock n' roll Macca style! Although this is Paul's first public performance at The O2 he is very familiar with the venue. In 2004, before The O2 was up and running as the world's greatest music venue, Paul used the Millennium Dome (as it was known then) for rehearsals for his massive stadium "04 Summer Tour" which ended with Paul headlining the Glastonbury Festival which has gone down in rock history as the greatest festival moment ever. Although his rehearsals at the Millennium Dome were meant to be top secret, he was soon rumbled when a near by resident complained about the rock n' roll noise upsetting his cat!
Before Paul reaches The O2 he will be visiting Hamburg, Berlin, Arnhem, Paris, Cologne and Dublin all this December.
Speaking about the tour, Paul said: "This is my chance to bring our current show home to where it all began. Starting in Hamburg, ending in London and rocking everywhere in between. I'm very much looking forward to ending the year on a high."
David Campbell, CEO of AEG Europe, owners and operators of The O2: "Paul McCartney is the dream act. I am absolutely thrilled that dream has now become a reality for The O2 and this true British music icon will play the building. It doesn't get much better than this.'
What a year 2009 has been for Paul. He kicked it off by teaming up with Dave Grohl to perform "I Saw Her Standing There" at the Grammys, where he was also nominated for two awards. In April, Paul performed in New York at the David Lynch Foundation's benefit concert, "Change Begins Within". He was joined on stage with Ringo Starr for a special finale. Paul also headlined the Coachella Festival (his first US festival appearance) and performed a show to mark the opening of The New Joint at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas, a gig which sold out in seven seconds, setting a new sales record with tickets selling at a rate of 600 a second! July 11th took Paul to Halifax, Nova Scotia for his first ever concert there, which took place on the Halifax Commons. The mayor of Halifax described the show as the largest and most exciting concert in its 260 year history.
Following Halifax, Paul embarked on a five-week tour of the US; 'Summer Live '09'. The tour commenced with the inaugural run of shows at New York's Citi Field Stadium, which was the site of the former Shea Stadium where The Beatles made history in 1965 when they played a concert that set the precedent for the modern day stadium rock show. Critics hailed the Citi Field performances, seen by over 120,000 people, as the concert experience of a lifetime. The tour concluded in Dallas on the 19th of August.
For those of you who won't be able to make it to one of the European shows this Christmas you can re-live the Macca magic with 'Good Evening New York City', a multi-disc CD/DVD featuring performances recorded at New York's Citi Field from Paul's 'Summer Live '09' tour.
Tickets will be available from Monday 26 October, costing between £55 and £125 + booking fee.
You may be interested in
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Tue 3rd Jul 2018 Thriller LiveBuy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Tue 12th Jun 2018 Don McLeanBuy Tickets
- Mon 21st May 2018 to Thu 31st May 2018 Bryan Adams: The Ultimate TourBuy Tickets
- Wed 23rd May 2018 Beck, Yeah Yeah Yeahs3arena (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Thu 24th May 2018 Bearded Theory Festival, Reverend and the Makers, The Whip, ...Catton Hall Park (Derbyshire)Buy Tickets
- Thu 24th May 2018 and Fri 25th May 2018 Georgie FameBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 and Sat 26th May 2018 Nine Below ZeroBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 and Sat 30th Jun 2018 A Certain RatioBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 and Sun 24th Jun 2018 Navi [Michael Jackson Impersonator]Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 Beck: BBC Music's Biggest WeekendThe Slipways (Belfast)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 Common People Oxford, The Jacksons, The New Power Generation...South Park (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th May 2018 Gilbert O'SullivanNowton Park (Bury St Edmunds)Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 All Points East, Björk, Beck, Father John Misty, Flying...Victoria Park (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 Common People Southampton, The Jacksons, The New Power Gener...Southampton Common (Southampton)Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th May 2018 Love4Music, Aswad, Gwen Dickey, Joyce Sims, Gappy Ranks, Car...Huddersfield Park (Huddersfield)Buy Tickets
- Mon 28th May 2018 Beck, ShameBournemouth International Centre BIC (Bournemouth)Buy Tickets
- Mon 28th May 2018 The Last Ship, StingSpillers Wharf (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Wed 30th May 2018 to Sat 30th Jun 2018 PiL: The Public Image Is RottenBuy Tickets
- Fri 1st Jun 2018 Don LettsThe Junction (Plymouth)Buy Tickets
- Fri 1st Jun 2018 Field Day, Erykah Badu, Children of Zeus, The Comet is Comin...Brockwell Park (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Jun 2018 Camden Rocks, Maximo Park, PiL, Twin Atlantic, Mallory Knox,...Various Camden Venues (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Jun 2018 Field Day, Four Tet, Nils Frahm, Floating Points, Thundercat...Brockwell Park (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Jun 2018 The Groundhogs, King King, Stacie Collins, Climax Blues BandThe Neon (Newport)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Jun 2018 Let's Rock Bristol, The Human League, Marc Almond, Bucks Fiz...The Downs (Clifton)Buy Tickets
- Sun 3rd Jun 2018 Wychwood Festival, Shed Seven, Feeder, Ten Tonnes, The Corre...Cheltenham Racecourse (Cheltenham)Buy Tickets
- Sun 3rd Jun 2018 Elkie BrooksThe King's Theatre (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sun 3rd Jun 2018 Walter Trout, Dr Feelgood, The Groundhogs, Ben Poole, Stacie...: Leicester Blues FestLeicester Arena (Leicester)Buy Tickets
- Thu 7th Jun 2018 and Thu 14th Jun 2018 Forest Live, The ScriptBuy Tickets
- Thu 7th Jun 2018 Kathryn Williams, Claire Mooney: Women in Union - TUC 150th AnniversaryThe Mechanics Conference Centre (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sun 10th Jun 2018 to Tue 26th Jun 2018 Travis, Turin Brakes: The Man WhoBuy Tickets
- Tue 12th Jun 2018 and Wed 13th Jun 2018 Jeff BeckBuy Tickets
- Thu 14th Jun 2018 Don McLean, Live at the MarqueeMarquee (Cork)Buy Tickets
- Thu 14th Jun 2018 Nocturne Live, Chic, Nile Rodgers, Soul II Soul, MF RobotsBlenheim Palace (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Thu 14th Jun 2018 Aynsley ListerThe Greystones (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Fri 15th Jun 2018 and Sat 16th Jun 2018 Hampton Court Palace Festival, The Beach BoysBuy Tickets
- Fri 15th Jun 2018 Nocturne Live, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, The CoralBlenheim Palace (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Fri 15th Jun 2018 Live at Chelsea, Jeff BeckThe Royal Hospital (Chelsea)Buy Tickets
- Fri 15th Jun 2018 to Thu 28th Jun 2018 Elvis CostelloBuy Tickets
- Sat 16th Jun 2018 and Sat 23rd Jun 2018 Billy JoelBuy Tickets
- Sat 16th Jun 2018 Live at Chelsea, James BluntThe Royal Hospital (Chelsea)Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th Jun 2018 SenserThe Continental (Preston)Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th Jun 2018 Nocturne Live, Elvis Costello, The Waterboys, Nick LoweBlenheim Palace (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th Jun 2018 to Wed 20th Jun 2018 Hollywood Vampires, The Darkness, The DamnedBuy Tickets
- Sun 17th Jun 2018 to Fri 29th Jun 2018 George BensonBuy Tickets
- Sun 17th Jun 2018 Nocturne Live, Gary Barlow, Rumer, Ferris and SylvesterBlenheim Palace (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Sun 17th Jun 2018 and Mon 18th Jun 2018 The Beach BoysBuy Tickets
- Sun 17th Jun 2018 Andrew Lloyd Webber - A Musical Celebration: Live at Chelsea, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Mica Paris, Ben Forste...The Royal Hospital (Chelsea)Buy Tickets
- Tue 19th Jun 2018 to Fri 22nd Jun 2018 Sheryl CrowBuy Tickets
- Wed 20th Jun 2018 Eden Sessions, BjörkThe Eden Project (Cornwall)Buy Tickets
- Thu 21st Jun 2018 D'Angelo, Pino Palladino, Omar: D'TOUREventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Thu 21st Jun 2018 The ScriptOpen Air Theatre (Scarborough)Buy Tickets