Paul McCartney for O2 Arena debut: 22nd December 2009
Following a sellout stadium tour of the US this summer, Paul McCartney today announces his first European Tour since 2004, "Good Evening Europe". This December will see Macca play seven special arena shows across Europe, culminating with his first ever public performance at The O2 arena in London, which will be his only UK date of this year. Other firsts on this tour will include shows at Berlin's O2 World venue and Dublin's The O2. Paul's legendary live performances are a once in a lifetime opportunity to experience. The audience gets to re-live some of the greatest moments in music from the last 40 years, many of which have become the soundtrack to living.
The O2 arena in London will host Paul's final show of 2009 where he will bring the year to an end on a high. This will be his ONLY live show in the UK this year! Paul's last UK show was a massive sellout concert at Anfield Stadium in 2008. At the time the Liverpool Echo wrote, "If Anfield had a roof, Macca would have blown it off." The O2 arena does have a roof so it's set to be a massive night of excitement and rock n' roll Macca style! Although this is Paul's first public performance at The O2 he is very familiar with the venue. In 2004, before The O2 was up and running as the world's greatest music venue, Paul used the Millennium Dome (as it was known then) for rehearsals for his massive stadium "04 Summer Tour" which ended with Paul headlining the Glastonbury Festival which has gone down in rock history as the greatest festival moment ever. Although his rehearsals at the Millennium Dome were meant to be top secret, he was soon rumbled when a near by resident complained about the rock n' roll noise upsetting his cat!
Before Paul reaches The O2 he will be visiting Hamburg, Berlin, Arnhem, Paris, Cologne and Dublin all this December.
Speaking about the tour, Paul said: "This is my chance to bring our current show home to where it all began. Starting in Hamburg, ending in London and rocking everywhere in between. I'm very much looking forward to ending the year on a high."
David Campbell, CEO of AEG Europe, owners and operators of The O2: "Paul McCartney is the dream act. I am absolutely thrilled that dream has now become a reality for The O2 and this true British music icon will play the building. It doesn't get much better than this.'
What a year 2009 has been for Paul. He kicked it off by teaming up with Dave Grohl to perform "I Saw Her Standing There" at the Grammys, where he was also nominated for two awards. In April, Paul performed in New York at the David Lynch Foundation's benefit concert, "Change Begins Within". He was joined on stage with Ringo Starr for a special finale. Paul also headlined the Coachella Festival (his first US festival appearance) and performed a show to mark the opening of The New Joint at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas, a gig which sold out in seven seconds, setting a new sales record with tickets selling at a rate of 600 a second! July 11th took Paul to Halifax, Nova Scotia for his first ever concert there, which took place on the Halifax Commons. The mayor of Halifax described the show as the largest and most exciting concert in its 260 year history.
Following Halifax, Paul embarked on a five-week tour of the US; 'Summer Live '09'. The tour commenced with the inaugural run of shows at New York's Citi Field Stadium, which was the site of the former Shea Stadium where The Beatles made history in 1965 when they played a concert that set the precedent for the modern day stadium rock show. Critics hailed the Citi Field performances, seen by over 120,000 people, as the concert experience of a lifetime. The tour concluded in Dallas on the 19th of August.
For those of you who won't be able to make it to one of the European shows this Christmas you can re-live the Macca magic with 'Good Evening New York City', a multi-disc CD/DVD featuring performances recorded at New York's Citi Field from Paul's 'Summer Live '09' tour.
Tickets will be available from Monday 26 October, costing between £55 and £125 + booking fee.
You may be interested in
- Fri 18th Jan 2019 to Sun 24th Mar 2019 Paul CarrackBuy Tickets
- Fri 18th Jan 2019 to Fri 24th May 2019 Thriller LiveBuy Tickets
- Thu 24th Jan 2019 to Sat 20th Apr 2019 Robbie McIntoshBuy Tickets
- Thu 24th Jan 2019 to Fri 1st Mar 2019 Jah WobbleBuy Tickets
- Tue 29th Jan 2019 Aynsley Lister, Blues Night100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Wed 30th Jan 2019 to Fri 3rd May 2019 London Philharmonic Orchestra: Alpine JourneysBuy Tickets
- Wed 30th Jan 2019 Tears for FearsINEC - Gleneagle Hotel Killarney (Kerry)Buy Tickets
- Thu 31st Jan 2019 to Wed 13th Feb 2019 Tears for Fears, Alison Moyet: Rule the World TourBuy Tickets
- Fri 1st Feb 2019 to Sun 21st Apr 2019 Nick HarperBuy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Feb 2019 to Thu 14th Feb 2019 Ferris and SylvesterBuy Tickets
- Tue 5th Feb 2019 and Thu 7th Feb 2019 Steve ForbertBuy Tickets
- Fri 8th Feb 2019 Don Letts, Twinkle BrothersBand on the Wall (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Feb 2019 Henry PriestmanSt Saviour's Community Hall - Retford (Nottinghamshire)Buy Tickets
- Thu 14th Feb 2019 to Sat 2nd Mar 2019 SmokieBuy Tickets
- Sat 16th Feb 2019 to Thu 25th Apr 2019 Jackson Live in Concert - starring BenBuy Tickets
- Sat 16th Feb 2019 to Wed 20th Feb 2019 Slash, Myles Kennedy: Living the DreamBuy Tickets
- Mon 18th Feb 2019 to Tue 9th Apr 2019 Mike and the MechanicsBuy Tickets
- Tue 19th Feb 2019 to Sun 24th Mar 2019 Aynsley ListerBuy Tickets
- Wed 20th Feb 2019 to Thu 28th Feb 2019 Steely Dan, Steve WinwoodBuy Tickets
- Wed 20th Feb 2019 to Fri 12th Apr 2019 Climax Blues BandBuy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Feb 2019 Bill FrisellJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sun 24th Feb 2019 to Sun 12th May 2019 Elkie BrooksBuy Tickets
- Mon 25th Feb 2019 to Wed 6th Mar 2019 Bryan Adams: Shine a LightBuy Tickets
- Mon 25th Feb 2019 to Wed 27th Feb 2019 Nerina PallotBuy Tickets
- Wed 27th Feb 2019 Bill KirchenBorderline (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 1st Mar 2019 to Thu 2nd May 2019 10ccBuy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Mar 2019 and Fri 26th Apr 2019 10ccloBuy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Mar 2019 Georgie FameSt. Edward's Church (Gloucestershire)Buy Tickets
- Tue 5th Mar 2019 to Thu 14th Mar 2019 Vonda Shepard, Sharon CorrBuy Tickets
- Fri 8th Mar 2019 to Sat 27th Apr 2019 The OrbBuy Tickets
- Tue 12th Mar 2019 to Sun 24th Mar 2019 Roy HarperBuy Tickets
- Tue 12th Mar 2019 and Wed 13th Mar 2019 An Evening with: Dave Matthews BandBuy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Mar 2019 and Sat 23rd Mar 2019 Sad CaféBuy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Mar 2019 to Thu 28th Mar 2019 The ScriptBuy Tickets
- Sun 24th Mar 2019 Nearly Dan, Steely DanJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 30th Mar 2019 Teenage Cancer Trust, The ScriptRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Thu 4th Apr 2019 to Sun 14th Apr 2019 Legends Live, Suzi Quatro, David Essex, Les McKeown's Bay Ci...Buy Tickets
- Thu 4th Apr 2019 to Fri 26th Apr 2019 Colin BlunstoneBuy Tickets
- Thu 4th Apr 2019 Michael Chapman, B. J. ColeSt Mary's Centre (Chester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Apr 2019 Eros RamazzottiEventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Apr 2019 Legends Live, Suzi Quatro, David Essex, Les McKeown's Bay Ci...First Direct Arena (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Sat 6th Apr 2019 Todd Rundgren: The IndividualistEventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Wed 17th Apr 2019 to Sat 11th May 2019 Heather SmallBuy Tickets
- Thu 18th Apr 2019 London International Ska Festival, Georgie FameO2 Academy Islington (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 19th Apr 2019 to Sat 27th Apr 2019 The CreepshowBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 to Sat 11th May 2019 Navi [Michael Jackson Impersonator]Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Apr 2019 From the Jam, Bruce Foxton, Russell Hastings, The Truth [pla...Assembly Hall (Worthing)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Apr 2019 to Wed 1st May 2019 Hall & OatesBuy Tickets
- Fri 26th Apr 2019 Michael Jackson Tribute Show2Funky Music Cafe (Leicester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 27th Apr 2019 to Sat 4th May 2019 Noël CowardBuy Tickets
- Thu 2nd May 2019 to Fri 24th May 2019 Leo SayerBuy Tickets