Paul McCartney for O2 Arena debut: 22nd December 2009
Following a sellout stadium tour of the US this summer, Paul McCartney today announces his first European Tour since 2004, "Good Evening Europe". This December will see Macca play seven special arena shows across Europe, culminating with his first ever public performance at The O2 arena in London, which will be his only UK date of this year. Other firsts on this tour will include shows at Berlin's O2 World venue and Dublin's The O2. Paul's legendary live performances are a once in a lifetime opportunity to experience. The audience gets to re-live some of the greatest moments in music from the last 40 years, many of which have become the soundtrack to living.
The O2 arena in London will host Paul's final show of 2009 where he will bring the year to an end on a high. This will be his ONLY live show in the UK this year! Paul's last UK show was a massive sellout concert at Anfield Stadium in 2008. At the time the Liverpool Echo wrote, "If Anfield had a roof, Macca would have blown it off." The O2 arena does have a roof so it's set to be a massive night of excitement and rock n' roll Macca style! Although this is Paul's first public performance at The O2 he is very familiar with the venue. In 2004, before The O2 was up and running as the world's greatest music venue, Paul used the Millennium Dome (as it was known then) for rehearsals for his massive stadium "04 Summer Tour" which ended with Paul headlining the Glastonbury Festival which has gone down in rock history as the greatest festival moment ever. Although his rehearsals at the Millennium Dome were meant to be top secret, he was soon rumbled when a near by resident complained about the rock n' roll noise upsetting his cat!
Before Paul reaches The O2 he will be visiting Hamburg, Berlin, Arnhem, Paris, Cologne and Dublin all this December.
Speaking about the tour, Paul said: "This is my chance to bring our current show home to where it all began. Starting in Hamburg, ending in London and rocking everywhere in between. I'm very much looking forward to ending the year on a high."
David Campbell, CEO of AEG Europe, owners and operators of The O2: "Paul McCartney is the dream act. I am absolutely thrilled that dream has now become a reality for The O2 and this true British music icon will play the building. It doesn't get much better than this.'
What a year 2009 has been for Paul. He kicked it off by teaming up with Dave Grohl to perform "I Saw Her Standing There" at the Grammys, where he was also nominated for two awards. In April, Paul performed in New York at the David Lynch Foundation's benefit concert, "Change Begins Within". He was joined on stage with Ringo Starr for a special finale. Paul also headlined the Coachella Festival (his first US festival appearance) and performed a show to mark the opening of The New Joint at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas, a gig which sold out in seven seconds, setting a new sales record with tickets selling at a rate of 600 a second! July 11th took Paul to Halifax, Nova Scotia for his first ever concert there, which took place on the Halifax Commons. The mayor of Halifax described the show as the largest and most exciting concert in its 260 year history.
Following Halifax, Paul embarked on a five-week tour of the US; 'Summer Live '09'. The tour commenced with the inaugural run of shows at New York's Citi Field Stadium, which was the site of the former Shea Stadium where The Beatles made history in 1965 when they played a concert that set the precedent for the modern day stadium rock show. Critics hailed the Citi Field performances, seen by over 120,000 people, as the concert experience of a lifetime. The tour concluded in Dallas on the 19th of August.
For those of you who won't be able to make it to one of the European shows this Christmas you can re-live the Macca magic with 'Good Evening New York City', a multi-disc CD/DVD featuring performances recorded at New York's Citi Field from Paul's 'Summer Live '09' tour.
Tickets will be available from Monday 26 October, costing between £55 and £125 + booking fee.
- Wed 12th Dec 2018 Paul McCartney: Freshen UpEcho Arena/ The Auditorium (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Fri 14th Dec 2018 Paul McCartney: Freshen UpSSE Hydro (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sun 16th Dec 2018 Paul McCartney: Freshen UpThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Fri 17th Aug 2018 WeyfestThe Rural Life Centre - Old Kiln Museum (Farnham)Buy Tickets
- Fri 17th Aug 2018 Edinburgh Summer Sessions, Paloma FaithPrinces Street Gardens (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Fri 17th Aug 2018 to Sat 10th Nov 2018 Thriller LiveBuy Tickets
- Sat 18th Aug 2018 Dr Hook: 50th AnniversaryChepstow Castle (Monmouthshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 18th Aug 2018 to Sun 9th Sep 2018 Simple Minds, The Pretenders, KT Tunstall: Grandslam TourBuy Tickets
- Sat 18th Aug 2018 Edinburgh Summer Sessions, Kasabian, DMA'sPrinces Street Gardens (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Sat 18th Aug 2018 to Sun 26th Aug 2018 Brian Wilson: Greatest HitsBuy Tickets
- Sat 18th Aug 2018 to Thu 23rd Aug 2018 Suzanne VegaBuy Tickets
- Sat 18th Aug 2018 Heather SmallYorkshire Wildlife Park (Doncaster)Buy Tickets
- Sun 19th Aug 2018 Edinburgh Summer Sessions, Brian WilsonPlayhouse (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Sun 19th Aug 2018 Phoenix, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Nils Frahm, Jungle, The Lemon...Le Fort De Saint-Pere (France)Buy Tickets
- Wed 22nd Aug 2018 Travis: The Man WhoCustom House Square (Belfast)Buy Tickets
- Fri 24th Aug 2018 Victorious Festival, The Libertines, Kaiser Chiefs, Shed Sev...Southsea Seafront (Southsea)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th Aug 2018 and Sun 26th Aug 2018 Victorious FestivalBuy Tickets
- Sat 25th Aug 2018 and Sun 26th Aug 2018 The Solihull Summer FestBuy Tickets
- Sat 25th Aug 2018 and Thu 1st Nov 2018 Nick HarperBuy Tickets
- Sat 25th Aug 2018 BBA Taking Control, PiL, The UndertonesBangor Seafront (Bangor [Down])Buy Tickets
- Sun 26th Aug 2018 and Sat 15th Sep 2018 Leo SayerBuy Tickets
- Sun 26th Aug 2018 to Fri 31st Aug 2018 PiL: The Public Image Is RottenBuy Tickets
- Tue 28th Aug 2018 Gilbert O'SullivanLittle Civic/ Slade Rooms (Wolverhampton)Buy Tickets
- Thu 30th Aug 2018 Ian Parker, Aynsley ListerRobin (Wolverhampton)Buy Tickets
- Thu 30th Aug 2018 to Mon 22nd Oct 2018 Van MorrisonBuy Tickets
- Fri 31st Aug 2018 and Sun 11th Nov 2018 Navi [Michael Jackson Impersonator]Buy Tickets
- Fri 31st Aug 2018 Heritage Live Summer Concerts, Van Morrison, The Waterboys, ...Wrest Park - Silsoe (Bedfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Sep 2018 to Sat 8th Sep 2018 Barry ManilowBuy Tickets
- Sat 1st Sep 2018 and Fri 21st Sep 2018 Don LettsBuy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Sep 2018 Cool Britannia, Ocean Colour Scene, Embrace, Razorlight, Cas...Knebworth House and Gardens (Hertfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Mon 3rd Sep 2018 to Sat 27th Oct 2018 Let It BeBuy Tickets
- Thu 6th Sep 2018 and Fri 7th Sep 2018 Jonathan WilsonBuy Tickets
- Sat 8th Sep 2018 Toots and the Maytals, The English Beat feat. Dave Wakeling,...Alexandra Palace (London)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Sep 2018 Shiiine On, Orbital, Shed Seven, Happy Mondays, Embrace, Gla...O2 Academy Birmingham (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Wed 12th Sep 2018 to Mon 29th Oct 2018 Joan ArmatradingBuy Tickets
- Sat 15th Sep 2018 James BluntBath Racecourse (Bath)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Sep 2018 to Sat 13th Oct 2018 Elkie BrooksBuy Tickets
- Sat 15th Sep 2018 A Certain RatioThe Sugar Club (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Thu 20th Sep 2018 to Sat 22nd Sep 2018 Detroit Social ClubBuy Tickets
- Thu 20th Sep 2018 to Tue 2nd Oct 2018 Albert HammondBuy Tickets
- Thu 20th Sep 2018 to Sun 21st Oct 2018 Jackson Live in Concert - starring BenBuy Tickets
- Wed 26th Sep 2018 Nordoff Robbins Get Loud, Lisa StansfieldMatt & Phreds (Northern Quarter)Buy Tickets
- Wed 26th Sep 2018 Nordoff Robbins Get Loud, Gilbert O'SullivanCottier's (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Sep 2018 Kip WingerBorderline (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Sep 2018 to Tue 30th Oct 2018 Paul Young: 35 Years of No ParlezBuy Tickets
- Sun 30th Sep 2018 to Fri 26th Oct 2018 Jeff Lynne's ELOBuy Tickets
- Tue 2nd Oct 2018 to Sat 27th Oct 2018 Nerina PallotBuy Tickets
- Fri 5th Oct 2018 Joe HenryDolan's Pub/ Warehouse/ Restaurant (Limerick)Buy Tickets
- Sat 6th Oct 2018 and Sun 7th Oct 2018 OMD, Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra: 40th AnniversaryBuy Tickets
- Mon 8th Oct 2018 Donavon FrankenreiterDingwalls - Lock 17 (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Thu 11th Oct 2018 to Fri 19th Oct 2018 The Orb, System 7: Greatest Hits/ No Sounds Are Out of BoundsBuy Tickets
- Fri 12th Oct 2018 Pure McCartneyRobin (Wolverhampton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 13th Oct 2018 to Sat 10th Nov 2018 From the Jam, Nine Below Zero: All Mod ConsBuy Tickets
- Sat 13th Oct 2018 to Fri 9th Nov 2018 Michael BoltonBuy Tickets