Spotlight on Brighton's Nightlife: October/ November 2009
London-By-The-Sea they call it and it's not too hard to see and hear why - Brighton is a vibrant and hedonistic city as well as a destination for sun-seekers and thrill-seekers alike. It is also home to a thriving gay community and many expats from the Capital itself have taken root in and around its historical centre. DJ Norman Cook loves the place and has played on the famous beach on the odd occasion to several thousand eager clubbers. It also hosts several music festivals (other arts are also well-catered for) and has a history of infamous Bank Holiday conflicts between the Mods and the Rockers during the 60's and 70's.
Nowadays, conflicts are few (save for the usual drunken altercations) and clubbers mingle in mutual harmony particularly on the beachfront where several clubs sit cheek-by-jowel. There are also some cracking dance-related gigs coming up over the next few weeks so grab your chips and glad-rags and check out the round-up below.
Digital (Formerly Zap Club)
The famous Zap Club of yesteryear has since changed its name to Digital and hosts regular nights such as Poundance on Wednesdays where everything is a pound and hosts mash-ups of dance and chart hits, and the Thursday Club recently hosted by Annie Mac as an example of the calibre. Their next brace of live nights and themed events starts with a drum n bass night - Hospitality, fuelled by the landmark label, Hospital Records, rolls into town with DJs Danny Byrd, Blame and Cyantific on the 10th October (£12.50). These are 3 of the best, mark my words, and anyone who slavered over Good Looking / Looking Good releases in the 90's will be familiar with Blame's exquisite output.
You might be lucky to get tickets for the Deadmau5 gigs on the 18th and 19th (£10) but if not then there is always the Thursday Club night with DJ Friction on the 29th (£8 - drum n bass) or the ever-popular Mr Scruff's Tea Party on Nov 22nd (£8). Please note that the Orb gig planned for the 14th October has been postponed and will be re-scheduled in due course.
This Madiera Drive venue is host to the Big Beat Boutique and Fatboy Slim, but puts on a good mixture of events on a regular basis. Dubstep is represented by the popular Benga and Skream, playing the very best in dubstep and Tempa classics on Friday 9th Oct (£10). The 2 DJs have recorded many tracks together since their early beginnings in the true capital of the genre (Croydon) so this only seems fitting to see them share the decks again.
If you love to dance in your own little world then how about 'Silent Disco' on the 16th (£8)? It's a novel club idea that allows you to slip on your own headphones and dance to the music without annoying the neighbours or splitting your eardrums! Try it. A more conventional stream of gigs follows with turntable-maestros Scratch Perverts (17th - £11.50 - break-beater DJ Zinc in support), mash-up warrior DJ Yoda (23rd - £10), Dave Pearce, who will no doubt be putting on his trance trousers on November 6th (£10) and a RAM Records night with the legendary Andy C (Nov 7th - £11.50).
A sea-front beach-club that gives you more than just straight-forward club nights and instead offers 7 bars and 5 rooms to boot. Hed Kandi returns to the coast with Disco Heaven, a deep and funky house night compered by DJs Wez Clarke and Carl Hanagan on Oct 9th (£8). There are also appearances by Freemasons (Brighton's very own remix and sampling specialists) on the 10th (tickets TBC) and a Mixmag Party on the 30th. This last event is part of the famous clubbing-magazine's commitment to spreading the word via top-notch DJs and this latest night costs just £10 and features Riton and D. Ramirez.
Whatever your preferences there are plenty of other club nights and events in and around the Brighton & Hove area that can be found in local press or on this very site! Enjoy!
- Sun 20th Jan 2019 Andy CConcorde 2 (Brighton)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Sun 16th Dec 2018 Grandmaster FlashConcorde 2 (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Mon 31st Dec 2018 Gilles PetersonConcorde 2 (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Tue 15th Jan 2019 Astroid BoysThe Haunt (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Tue 15th Jan 2019 Rudimental - Soundsystem: Rudimental - DJ set - and friendsConcorde 2 (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th Jan 2019 La Discotheque, DJ Greg Wilson, Crazy P - DJ SetConcorde 2 (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Feb 2019 2 Many DJsConcorde 2 (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Tue 19th Feb 2019 Blue OctoberConcorde 2 (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Thu 21st Feb 2019 Professor GreenThe Haunt (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Sun 17th Mar 2019 Hannah WantsPatterns (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Mar 2019 My Nu LengThe Arch (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 30th Mar 2019 Dylan CartlidgeThe Brunswick (Hove)Buy Tickets
- Wed 3rd Apr 2019 Gabrielle: Under My SkinBrighton Dome/ Concert Hall (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 6th Apr 2019 WilkinsonThe Arch (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Mon 8th Apr 2019 Maverick SabreConcorde 2 (Brighton)Buy Tickets