Oxfam's Oxjam Takeover set for October 2009
The official line from Oxfam regarding this year's exciting Oxjam events starts thus: "This is Oxfam's month-long music festival with a difference: you make it happen. Each year hundreds of music-lovers like you get involved, all across the UK, to raise money for Oxfam by holding their own events. Oxjam will take place once more across the UK in October 2009". A worthy statement for a very worthy cause and something during which YOU can get make happen, as well as watching the events unfurl. Log on to www.oxfam.org.uk/get_involved for further details.
Meanwhile, Oxjam already has several events confirmed around the UK including Brighton, Cardiff (Takeover) and Manchester (Takeover).
Brighton is hosting a few Oxjam events including a Battle Of The Bands competition on 20th October at the Hector's House venue - 6 bands will be giving their all for the crowd in order to win the coveted prize of the night - Brighton's Best Band. Then on the 23rd there is a blues night at the city's Loft venue.
But it's Manchester and Cardiff where the 'Oxjam Takeover' projects will take place. In Manchester, the entire Northern Quarter will be engulfed by several events that will highlight local artistic talent plus various performances for all the family with food and drink provided by local cafes and bars. The date for your diary is October 25th for the big day, however there will be other events announced in the run up to the 'Takeover' including a Hip-Hop Challenge on the 9th (venue tbc). www.oxjammanchester.org is the place to click on for updates. The Oct 25th takeover costs £7 which buys a wristband for admission to related events (tickets below).
The Welsh capital is also getting on board with a veritable menu of delights - Cardiff's big 'Takeover' takes place on October 11th and includes a Welsh-language bands' night at Clwb Ifor Bach, a Hip-Hop event at Toucan as well as a roots gig at Dempseys and another set of performances by The Screenbeats and more at Y Fuwch Goch. The cost of your wristband for the 'Takeover' in Womanby Street in the city is £8 - available now.
If you can't wait that long to help Oxfam then Glasgow sees the popular "Ceilidh In The Buff" return to the Buff Club on September 5th for an evening of traditional Scottish music and convivial merriment. Tickets cost just £10 and are available now (see below).
You may be interested in
- Sat 20th Jul 2019 ChagstockHigher Fields - Whiddon Down (Devon)Buy Tickets
- Wed 24th Jul 2019 The Fulham Big Band, Fundraising EventCharing Cross Hospital (Hammersmith)More Info..
- Sun 11th Aug 2019 Macmillan Cancer SupportAlexander's Live (Chester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 16th Aug 2019 Summerchime: Children with Cancer UK, Liam Payne, All Saints, Louisa John...Chiswick House (Chiswick)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Aug 2019 Punks Against Cancer, Vice Squad, Knock OffMulberry Tavern (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Aug 2019 Punks Against Cancer, GBH, Drongos For EuropeMulberry Tavern (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Sun 25th Aug 2019 Punks Against Cancer, TV SmithMulberry Tavern (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Thu 29th Aug 2019 Insecure Men, Fundraising EventThe Lexington (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 31st Aug 2019 and Sun 1st Sep 2019 Shackerstone FestivalBuy Tickets
- Sun 1st Sep 2019 and Sun 22nd Sep 2019 Rising in Support of War ChildBuy Tickets
- Sat 7th Sep 2019 Cardiff Mod and Ska FestivalTramshed (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Sat 7th Sep 2019 Macmillan Cancer Support, Oceans Ate Alaska, Our Hollow, Our...The Rescue Rooms (Nottingham)Buy Tickets
- Tue 24th Sep 2019 Martin Carthy, Wizz Jones, Fundraising Event: MNDA FundraiserThe Crescent Community Centre (York)Buy Tickets
- Wed 25th Sep 2019 Jessie Buckley, Fundraising EventVicar Street (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Thu 17th Oct 2019 Rock For HeroesKing George's Hall (Blackburn)Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th Nov 2019 Mosh For Fuck Cancer: Falling Red, Fundraising EventThe Brickyard (Carlisle)Buy Tickets
- Fri 6th Dec 2019 Brian and Robin’s Christmas Compendium, Professor Bria...Eventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Sun 26th Jan 2020 Beat the StreetsVarious Nottingham Venues (Nottingham)Buy Tickets
- Sun 23rd Feb 2020 Sunday For SammyUtilita Arena (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets