Oxfam's Oxjam Takeover set for October 2009
The official line from Oxfam regarding this year's exciting Oxjam events starts thus: "This is Oxfam's month-long music festival with a difference: you make it happen. Each year hundreds of music-lovers like you get involved, all across the UK, to raise money for Oxfam by holding their own events. Oxjam will take place once more across the UK in October 2009". A worthy statement for a very worthy cause and something during which YOU can get make happen, as well as watching the events unfurl. Log on to www.oxfam.org.uk/get_involved for further details.
Meanwhile, Oxjam already has several events confirmed around the UK including Brighton, Cardiff (Takeover) and Manchester (Takeover).
Brighton is hosting a few Oxjam events including a Battle Of The Bands competition on 20th October at the Hector's House venue - 6 bands will be giving their all for the crowd in order to win the coveted prize of the night - Brighton's Best Band. Then on the 23rd there is a blues night at the city's Loft venue.
But it's Manchester and Cardiff where the 'Oxjam Takeover' projects will take place. In Manchester, the entire Northern Quarter will be engulfed by several events that will highlight local artistic talent plus various performances for all the family with food and drink provided by local cafes and bars. The date for your diary is October 25th for the big day, however there will be other events announced in the run up to the 'Takeover' including a Hip-Hop Challenge on the 9th (venue tbc). www.oxjammanchester.org is the place to click on for updates. The Oct 25th takeover costs £7 which buys a wristband for admission to related events (tickets below).
The Welsh capital is also getting on board with a veritable menu of delights - Cardiff's big 'Takeover' takes place on October 11th and includes a Welsh-language bands' night at Clwb Ifor Bach, a Hip-Hop event at Toucan as well as a roots gig at Dempseys and another set of performances by The Screenbeats and more at Y Fuwch Goch. The cost of your wristband for the 'Takeover' in Womanby Street in the city is £8 - available now.
If you can't wait that long to help Oxfam then Glasgow sees the popular "Ceilidh In The Buff" return to the Buff Club on September 5th for an evening of traditional Scottish music and convivial merriment. Tickets cost just £10 and are available now (see below).
You may be interested in
- Sat 21st Sep 2019 and Thu 17th Oct 2019 Rock For HeroesBuy Tickets
- Sun 22nd Sep 2019 to Sun 17th Nov 2019 Rising in Support of War ChildBuy Tickets
- Tue 24th Sep 2019 Martin Carthy, Wizz Jones, Fundraising Event: MNDA FundraiserThe Crescent Community Centre (York)Buy Tickets
- Wed 25th Sep 2019 Jessie Buckley, Fundraising EventVicar Street (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Wed 25th Sep 2019 Nordoff Robbins Get Loud, Frank TurnerWedgewood Rooms/ Edge of the Wedge (Southsea)More Info..
- Wed 25th Sep 2019 Nordoff Robbins Get Loud, Scouting for GirlsTrinity Bar (Harrow)Buy Tickets
- Wed 25th Sep 2019 Nordoff Robbins Get Loud, SigalaThe Arts Club (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Wed 25th Sep 2019 Nordoff Robbins Get Loud, LouiseOmeara (Southwark)Buy Tickets
- Sat 12th Oct 2019 Levellers, Dodgy, Mind [charity]London Palladium (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Tue 22nd Oct 2019 Laugh Till It Hurts, Macmillan Cancer SupportBloomsbury Theatre (Bloomsbury)Buy Tickets
- Mon 28th Oct 2019 and Tue 29th Oct 2019 Funeral for a Friend, Fundraising Event: Stuart Brothers family fund-raiserMore Info..
- Mon 4th Nov 2019 Barnardo'sRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 8th Nov 2019 Young Minds [charity]Bush Hall (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Nov 2019 Macmillan Fest: Macmillan Cancer Support, Evil ScarecrowThe Fleece (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th Nov 2019 Mosh For Fuck Cancer: Falling Red, Fundraising EventThe Brickyard (Carlisle)Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th Nov 2019 Cancer Research UK, Macmillan Cancer Support: featuring No Remorse, Riffler and Junkyard FourMarehay Miners Welfare - Ripley (Derbyshire)More Info..
- Fri 6th Dec 2019 Brian and Robin’s Christmas Compendium, Professor Bria...Eventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Thu 12th Dec 2019 The Prince's TrustSt Marylebone Parish Church (Marylebone)On SaleThu 26th Sepat 9am
- Fri 10th Jan 2020 Steve Knightley, Grace Petrie, Fundraising EventThe Lion Hotel (Shrewsbury)Buy Tickets
- Sat 18th Jan 2020 to Sat 1st Aug 2020 Dementia Aware FestBuy Tickets
- Sun 26th Jan 2020 Beat the StreetsVarious Nottingham Venues (Nottingham)Buy Tickets
- Sun 23rd Feb 2020 Sunday For SammyUtilita Arena (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Thu 5th Mar 2020 War Child, Stefflon DonEartH [Hackney Arts Centre] (Stoke Newington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 24th Jul 2020 to Sat 25th Jul 2020 ChagstockBuy Tickets