Here Comes Sumner - Another New Order as Bad Lieutenant go to Heaven in October 2009
The eagerly-anticipated new band, Bad Lieutenant, is comprised of Bernard Sumner with recent New Order man, Phil Cunningham and Manc musician, Jake Evans (of Rambo & Leroy) plus Steven Morris, Alex James (Blur and only featured on the album) and Tom Chapman (featured live). Three dates have been announced to showcase this new venture and they take place on October 20th at the Digital (ex-Zap) Club in Brighton, the 21st at London's Heaven and finally on the 22nd at their home-town of Manchester at the Ritz Ballroom.
Never let it be said that the stories surrounding New Order are anything but interesting - four members form the group from the ashes of Joy Division and record some of the most influential music in the world, argue, make up and record some of the most influential music in the world, argue, fall out, make up, record some more decent music, argue, fall out publicly.... end of story? Nope, no way. In between the bitter in-fighting, they were the best of friends making solo and side-projects under different names. Peter Hook took his Revenge, then Monaco (and imminently the soon-to-be Freebass project with Andy Rourke - Smiths and Mani - Stone Roses) to the road and the radio, while even the quiet ones Steven Morris and Gillian Gilbert, buggered off to a farm and became the Other Two. But Bernard Sumner cleverly formed Electronic with Johnny Marr and released a mix of excellent and so-so albums, as well as dabbling in production and remix duties whilst with Factory. He has learned his craft well. Time for a new project and another story.
There is a new single available for free download at www.badlieutenant.net from Aug 28th - don't forget to register. Called "Sink Or Swim", it is a powerful and emotive song that is a perfect taster for the upcoming album, "Never Cry Another Tear" to be released during October.
Tickets for the trio of gigs (priced at £18.50 - Brighton, £19.50 - Manchester and £21.50 - London) will sell like the proverbial hot cakes - be quick!
You may be interested in
- Fri 14th Dec 2018 to Fri 21st Dec 2018 808 State, Lone: 30Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 808 StateSWG3 (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 Happy Mondays, Tom HingleyThe Avenue (Chesterfield)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 Cassia, Spector, The Whip, BLOXX, Vistas, The Ninth WaveO2 Ritz (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 19th Jan 2019 Parklife [Blur Tribute]The Purty Kitchen (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th Jan 2019 Ministry of Sound - The Annual Classical, Judge Jules, Tall ...Royal Festival Hall (Lambeth)Buy Tickets
- Fri 1st Feb 2019 John MetcalfeGullivers Bar (Northern Quarter)Buy Tickets
- Thu 7th Feb 2019 to Sat 23rd Feb 2019 Peter Hook: Technique and RepublicBuy Tickets
- Sat 30th Mar 2019 to Sat 5th Oct 2019 Blur2, The Verve Experience, Pulp'd: The Britpop Reboot TourBuy Tickets
- Sat 30th Mar 2019 True Order, Transmission [The Sound of Joy Division]The Leopard (Doncaster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 24th May 2019 All Points East, Chemical Brothers, Hot Chip, Primal Scream,...Victoria Park (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Jul 2019 Peter Hook, Manchester Camerata: Joy Division OrchestratedRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Sun 7th Jul 2019 Trinity Summer Series: New OrderSamuel Beckett Theatre - Trinity College (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Aug 2019 to Sun 25th Aug 2019 The Big FeastivalBuy Tickets
- Sat 9th Nov 2019 Live Forever: A Britpop Tribute Festival, Definitely Oasis, ...O2 Forum (Kentish Town)Buy Tickets
- Thu 21st Nov 2019 to Fri 29th Nov 2019 Chemical BrothersBuy Tickets