Dot Allison to release new album "Room 7 ½ on" on 7th September 2009
Dot is like some gifted child locked in the attic of the music industry - Peter Doherty
After leaving Scottish trio One Dove, (the band she founded in the early 90s whose beautiful song "White Love" was an underground hit in 1993), the Edinburgh-born vocalist Dot Allison signed as a solo artist to Heavenly Records in 1997. She released her critically acclaimed debut "Afterglow" which featured a co-write with legendary songwriter Hal David and performances from Mani Mounfield and loud guitar hero Kevin Shields. Dot's unique voice was heard on several film soundtracks and an international Levis ad campaign. She also lent her lush voice to Massive Attack on two world tours. Always keeping busy, Dot has also written for several films including the song "Colour Me" from "Forgetting Sarah Marshall", "Sheepskin Tearaway" on "40 Year Old Virgin" and "Aftersun" on "Unleased" with Massive Attack again. Dot's haunting voice also appears in "Henry Mind Of A Tyrant"(David Starkey). Over the years Dot has also carved a niche for herself as an in-demand DJ. Hopping through labels for her next 2 albums "We Are Science" and "Exaltation Of Larks" Dot now brings us to "Room 7 ½".
Room 7 ½ is an unusual and arresting collection of heartfelt pleas demanding true love amongst an atmospheric-noir backdrop of some beauty. The album is produced by PJ Harvey producer Rob Ellis and Dot herself. The featured musicians on "Room 7 ½" are Bad Seeds members Mick Harvey, James Johnston and the wonderful Mr Terry Edwards. The 11 songs are all delivered in Dot's velveteen lose-yourself-in-them unique vocals, occasionally punctuated by the eternally youthful yells of Peter Doherty or sexy growl of Paul Weller.
"I got involved with Paul Weller as he texted me out of the blue one night when he was out with Bobby Gillespie" says Dot, "He just introduced himself, explained he got my number from Bob and asked if I fancied writing a song with him". So, off they went and the result is "Love's Got Me Crazy". The album's other duet, the frenetic "I Wanna Break Your Heart", is with Peter Doherty. Dot has collaborated with Peter on many occasions; whether it's co-writing songs or performing with Babyshambles. She also co-wrote the duet "Sheepskin Tearaway" on his debut solo album. Dot explains how the partnership between herself and Peter came about...
"I sang on "At The Flophouse" without even meeting him (He liked my voice from afar and asked me to cover it as a B- side for The Shambles)I went to the studio and it was just me and the engineer, so I recorded it myself. Later he texted me to ask me to perform with him singing Carl's parts at The Rhythm Factory... and that was the beginning to our long term writing and performing partnership"
The final piece of this collaboration triumvirate came in the form of the Bad Seeds' Mick Harvey for "Cry". Dot was also a fan of his work with PJ Harvey and she wanted to create a similar sound for "Room 7 ½". She says "I asked (producer) Rob Ellis to approach Mick, James Johnston and Terry Edwards of the Bad Seeds to help me get that natural sound. With these musicians, I love the looseness and space they leave and their choice of sound and harmony, I think they are incredibly empathic, emotive players"
The album also features a cover of the Scott Walker song "Montague Terrace (in Blue)" which originally appeared on the tribute album "30th Century Man".
Scott requested that Dot join his theatrical production of "Drifting And Tilting" (The songs of Scott Walker) at The Barbican in Autumn 2008 alongside Damon Albarn, Jarvis Cocker and Baritone Owen Gilhooly among others.
Dot is currently moving into film score work. She recently collaborated with Christian Henson for the new horror movie directed by Chris Smiths which is called "Triangle" where her voice is a large part of the original score.
Full track listing:
- Paved With A Little Pain
- I Wanna Break Your Heart Feat. Peter Doherty
- Buzzing Round The Honey Pots
- Room Seven And A Half
- Fall To Me
- Love's Got Me Crazy Feat. Paul Weller
- Montague Terrace (In Blue)
- Johnny Villan
- While She Sleeps
- Portrait of the Sun
You may be interested in
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 to Sun 25th Feb 2018 Roni SizeBuy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Mar 2018 Turbonegro: Rocknroll MachineKOKO (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Mar 2018 Tom McRaeHoly Trinity Church (Guildford)Buy Tickets
- Thu 8th Mar 2018 to Sat 31st Mar 2018 Turin Brakes: Invisible StormBuy Tickets
- Thu 8th Mar 2018 to Thu 12th Apr 2018 GwennoBuy Tickets
- Fri 16th Mar 2018 Roni Size, Dynamite MCGorilla (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Tue 20th Mar 2018 to Wed 28th Mar 2018 Young FathersBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Mar 2018 and Fri 23rd Mar 2018 The WytchesBuy Tickets
- Sat 24th Mar 2018 The Wytches, Crosa RosaThe Maze - Forest Tavern (Nottingham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 31st Mar 2018 Dan Bern100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sun 1st Apr 2018 to Sun 19th Aug 2018 Horace AndyBuy Tickets
- Thu 5th Apr 2018 to Fri 20th Apr 2018 The VirginmarysBuy Tickets
- Fri 6th Apr 2018 to Thu 15th Nov 2018 OysterbandBuy Tickets
- Wed 11th Apr 2018 to Sat 14th Apr 2018 The MekonsBuy Tickets
- Fri 13th Apr 2018 to Sat 19th May 2018 Rhythm of the 90sBuy Tickets
- Fri 13th Apr 2018 Mad ProfessorConstellations and the Observatory (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Mon 16th Apr 2018 and Tue 17th Apr 2018 Casey, Endless Heights, RarityBuy Tickets
- Mon 23rd Apr 2018 to Sat 5th May 2018 Manic Street Preachers, The Coral: Resistance is FutileBuy Tickets
- Fri 27th Apr 2018 to Sun 6th May 2018 BuzzcocksBuy Tickets
- Sat 28th Apr 2018 Scotland Calling, Buzzcocks, Cockney Rejects, Angelic Upstar...O2 ABC (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sat 28th Apr 2018 to Mon 30th Apr 2018 Yo La TengoBuy Tickets
- Wed 2nd May 2018 to Sun 20th May 2018 The BluetonesBuy Tickets
- Thu 3rd May 2018 to Fri 1st Jun 2018 Rory McLeodBuy Tickets
- Sun 6th May 2018 Teddy Rocks, Ash, The Magic Numbers, InMe, Sonic Boom Six, T...Charisworth Farm - Blandford (Dorset)Buy Tickets
- Mon 14th May 2018 to Wed 23rd May 2018 Nina NesbittBuy Tickets
- Sat 19th May 2018 Pere UbuBorderline (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Wed 23rd May 2018 to Fri 1st Jun 2018 Echo and the Bunnymen: The Stars, The Ocean and The MoonBuy Tickets
- Thu 24th May 2018 to Wed 19th Sep 2018 The Wedding PresentBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 to Sun 27th May 2018 The Beat, Buzzcocks, The Selecter, Stiff Little FingersBuy Tickets
- Fri 1st Jun 2018 Wychwood Festival, Baxter Dury, The Beat, Nina Nesbitt, Feed...Cheltenham Racecourse (Cheltenham)Buy Tickets
- Wed 6th Jun 2018 Eden Sessions, Gary BarlowThe Eden Project (Cornwall)Buy Tickets
- Fri 15th Jun 2018 and Sat 16th Jun 2018 Eden Sessions, Massive Attack, Young FathersBuy Tickets
- Wed 20th Jun 2018 Eden Sessions, BjörkThe Eden Project (Cornwall)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 Echo and the Bunnymen, Peter Hook, The Jesus and Mary Chain: Skyline SeriesSt Philip's Gate (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Thu 5th Jul 2018 Eden Sessions, Jack JohnsonThe Eden Project (Cornwall)Buy Tickets
- Fri 20th Jul 2018 Imelda May, BuzzcocksHigher Fields - Whiddon Down (Devon)Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Jul 2018 Kaleidoscope Festival, The Flaming Lips, Ghostpoet, Mystery ...Alexandra Palace (London)Buy Tickets
- Fri 24th Aug 2018 Victorious Festival, The Libertines, Kaiser Chiefs, Shed Sev...Southsea Seafront (Southsea)Buy Tickets
- Thu 20th Sep 2018 to Sat 6th Oct 2018 They Might Be GiantsBuy Tickets
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 to Mon 17th Dec 2018 The War of The Worlds, Jason Donovan, Newton FaulknerBuy Tickets