Dot Allison to release new album "Room 7 ½ on" on 7th September 2009
Dot is like some gifted child locked in the attic of the music industry - Peter Doherty
After leaving Scottish trio One Dove, (the band she founded in the early 90s whose beautiful song "White Love" was an underground hit in 1993), the Edinburgh-born vocalist Dot Allison signed as a solo artist to Heavenly Records in 1997. She released her critically acclaimed debut "Afterglow" which featured a co-write with legendary songwriter Hal David and performances from Mani Mounfield and loud guitar hero Kevin Shields. Dot's unique voice was heard on several film soundtracks and an international Levis ad campaign. She also lent her lush voice to Massive Attack on two world tours. Always keeping busy, Dot has also written for several films including the song "Colour Me" from "Forgetting Sarah Marshall", "Sheepskin Tearaway" on "40 Year Old Virgin" and "Aftersun" on "Unleased" with Massive Attack again. Dot's haunting voice also appears in "Henry Mind Of A Tyrant"(David Starkey). Over the years Dot has also carved a niche for herself as an in-demand DJ. Hopping through labels for her next 2 albums "We Are Science" and "Exaltation Of Larks" Dot now brings us to "Room 7 ½".
Room 7 ½ is an unusual and arresting collection of heartfelt pleas demanding true love amongst an atmospheric-noir backdrop of some beauty. The album is produced by PJ Harvey producer Rob Ellis and Dot herself. The featured musicians on "Room 7 ½" are Bad Seeds members Mick Harvey, James Johnston and the wonderful Mr Terry Edwards. The 11 songs are all delivered in Dot's velveteen lose-yourself-in-them unique vocals, occasionally punctuated by the eternally youthful yells of Peter Doherty or sexy growl of Paul Weller.
"I got involved with Paul Weller as he texted me out of the blue one night when he was out with Bobby Gillespie" says Dot, "He just introduced himself, explained he got my number from Bob and asked if I fancied writing a song with him". So, off they went and the result is "Love's Got Me Crazy". The album's other duet, the frenetic "I Wanna Break Your Heart", is with Peter Doherty. Dot has collaborated with Peter on many occasions; whether it's co-writing songs or performing with Babyshambles. She also co-wrote the duet "Sheepskin Tearaway" on his debut solo album. Dot explains how the partnership between herself and Peter came about...
"I sang on "At The Flophouse" without even meeting him (He liked my voice from afar and asked me to cover it as a B- side for The Shambles)I went to the studio and it was just me and the engineer, so I recorded it myself. Later he texted me to ask me to perform with him singing Carl's parts at The Rhythm Factory... and that was the beginning to our long term writing and performing partnership"
The final piece of this collaboration triumvirate came in the form of the Bad Seeds' Mick Harvey for "Cry". Dot was also a fan of his work with PJ Harvey and she wanted to create a similar sound for "Room 7 ½". She says "I asked (producer) Rob Ellis to approach Mick, James Johnston and Terry Edwards of the Bad Seeds to help me get that natural sound. With these musicians, I love the looseness and space they leave and their choice of sound and harmony, I think they are incredibly empathic, emotive players"
The album also features a cover of the Scott Walker song "Montague Terrace (in Blue)" which originally appeared on the tribute album "30th Century Man".
Scott requested that Dot join his theatrical production of "Drifting And Tilting" (The songs of Scott Walker) at The Barbican in Autumn 2008 alongside Damon Albarn, Jarvis Cocker and Baritone Owen Gilhooly among others.
Dot is currently moving into film score work. She recently collaborated with Christian Henson for the new horror movie directed by Chris Smiths which is called "Triangle" where her voice is a large part of the original score.
Full track listing:
- Paved With A Little Pain
- I Wanna Break Your Heart Feat. Peter Doherty
- Buzzing Round The Honey Pots
- Room Seven And A Half
- Fall To Me
- Love's Got Me Crazy Feat. Paul Weller
- Montague Terrace (In Blue)
- Johnny Villan
- While She Sleeps
- Portrait of the Sun
You may be interested in
- Fri 20th Sep 2019 to Thu 26th Sep 2019 PixiesBuy Tickets
- Fri 20th Sep 2019 and Sun 22nd Sep 2019 Aidan John MoffatBuy Tickets
- Sat 21st Sep 2019 Pere UbuThe Grand Social (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Sep 2019 Looe Live, Newton Faulkner, The Shires, Level 42Various Looe Venues (Cornwall)Buy Tickets
- Thu 26th Sep 2019 Nitin SawhneyRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 28th Sep 2019 SubterraneansThe River Rooms (Stourbridge)Buy Tickets
- Mon 30th Sep 2019 to Sun 8th Dec 2019 TemplesBuy Tickets
- Tue 1st Oct 2019 to Sun 1st Dec 2019 The BlackoutBuy Tickets
- Thu 3rd Oct 2019 to Sat 1st Feb 2020 Turin Brakes: AcousticBuy Tickets
- Fri 4th Oct 2019 to Sun 6th Oct 2019 WAR, Cymande, The BlackbyrdsBuy Tickets
- Wed 9th Oct 2019 to Thu 17th Oct 2019 Rory McLeodBuy Tickets
- Fri 11th Oct 2019 Mad ProfessorLeytonstone Ballroom (Leytonstone)Buy Tickets
- Fri 11th Oct 2019 and Sun 13th Oct 2019 The WytchesBuy Tickets
- Mon 14th Oct 2019 to Wed 16th Oct 2019 Stephen DuffyMore Info..
- Tue 15th Oct 2019 to Tue 29th Oct 2019 The Cult: A Sonic TempleBuy Tickets
- Thu 17th Oct 2019 Paul OakenfoldDreamland (Margate)Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th Oct 2019 In:Motion, Paul OakenfoldMotion/ The Marble Factory (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th Oct 2019 Amber ArcadesThe Social (London)Buy Tickets
- Sat 19th Oct 2019 Saint EtienneThe Queen's Hall (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Sat 19th Oct 2019 Hypnosis 30th Anniversary: Paul Oakenfold, Markus Schulz, Sander KleinenbergAlbert Hall (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 19th Oct 2019 Luka BloomNells Jazz and Blues (Kensington and Chelsea)Buy Tickets
- Sat 19th Oct 2019 Gruff Rhys, Bill Ryder-Jones, Boy Azooga, Rozi Plain, Amber ...The Crossing [South Birmingham College] (Digbeth)Buy Tickets
- Sat 19th Oct 2019 Malcolm Middleton, The SpreePaisley Arts Centre (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Wed 23rd Oct 2019 North Mississippi AllstarsOmeara (Southwark)Buy Tickets
- Wed 23rd Oct 2019 Horace AndyBoisdale of Canary Wharf (Canary Wharf)Buy Tickets
- Thu 24th Oct 2019 to Fri 13th Dec 2019 The Wedding Present: Bizarro 30thBuy Tickets
- Thu 24th Oct 2019 to Fri 15th Nov 2019 Oysterband, June TaborBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th Oct 2019 to Wed 30th Oct 2019 CHAIBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th Oct 2019 TrickyConcorde 2 (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Thu 31st Oct 2019 to Wed 20th Nov 2019 Shakespears SisterBuy Tickets
- Thu 31st Oct 2019 to Sat 30th Nov 2019 The BluetonesBuy Tickets
- Sat 9th Nov 2019 Rhythm of the 90sConcorde 2 (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Wed 13th Nov 2019 to Wed 18th Dec 2019 Echo and the BunnymenBuy Tickets
- Sat 16th Nov 2019 and Sun 17th Nov 2019 Temples, The BlindersBuy Tickets
- Tue 19th Nov 2019 to Wed 18th Dec 2019 Primal ScreamBuy Tickets
- Wed 27th Nov 2019 to Sat 14th Dec 2019 Stealing SheepBuy Tickets
- Sat 30th Nov 2019 Manchester Reggae Festival: Aswad, Channel One Soundsystem, Dawn Penn, General Levy, Mad...BEC Arena (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Tue 3rd Dec 2019 to Wed 18th Dec 2019 The LibertinesBuy Tickets
- Wed 4th Dec 2019 to Sat 21st Dec 2019 Pop Will Eat ItselfBuy Tickets
- Thu 5th Dec 2019 The Warehouse Project, Underworld: Live At The DepotMayfield Depot (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 7th Dec 2019 UnderworldWembley SSE Arena (Wembley)Buy Tickets
- Sat 7th Dec 2019 to Tue 10th Dec 2019 Dawn LandesBuy Tickets
- Tue 10th Dec 2019 Nina NesbittElectric Ballroom (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Wed 11th Dec 2019 and Thu 19th Dec 2019 The Libertines, whenyoung, TrampoleneBuy Tickets
- Sat 14th Dec 2019 The VirginmarysManchester Academy (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sun 15th Dec 2019 The Libertines, Trampolene, BlackWatersO2 Academy Birmingham (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Tue 17th Dec 2019 and Fri 20th Dec 2019 Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly.Buy Tickets
- Fri 20th Dec 2019 and Sat 21st Dec 2019 The BlackbyrdsBuy Tickets
- Sat 21st Dec 2019 Mark Morriss, Tommy Scott, The Bluetones, SpaceWater Rats (Kings Cross)Buy Tickets
- Fri 31st Jan 2020 to Sat 8th Feb 2020 Roni Size, LTJ BukemBuy Tickets
- Fri 14th Feb 2020 to Sat 7th Mar 2020 SupergrassBuy Tickets