Richmond Theatre Displays a Wealth of Experience With 110 Year Celebratory Productions for 2009
Some of the biggest names in the world of stage and comedy acting will perform at the acclaimed Richmond Theatre - Richmond upon Thames over the coming months, as part of the 110th year of its existence.
Felicity Kendall, Matt Lucas, Su Pollard, Edward Woodward, Jo Brand and Michelle Dotrice will tread the boards in South-West London, starring in a few unlikely roles it must be said.
Traditionally, Jo Brand is seen railing against the injustice of vitamin levels in loaves of bread and the rising cost of chocolate but from September 15th - 19th , she will appear in "Pirates Of Penzance" as the Sergeant Of Police. Brand will be the first ever female Sergeant, a true sign of the times with equal opportunities being promoted to good effect. A special 110 yr anniversary evening is planned for the 18th with Timothy West, Tim Vine and Prunella Scales confirmed as guests - should be a good night.
Matt Lucas brings the Simon Bent play, "Prick Up Your Ears", to Richmond just prior to its West End run. The story centres around gay playwright Joe Orton and the swinging 60s as well as his relationship with co-collaborator, Kenneth Halliwell. Richmond is one of only 3 venues to have this interesting production in residence prior to hitting the West End.
'Tomorrow, tomorrow....you're only a day away' - the infamous lyric from one of the most familiar musicals of all time will resound around the auditorium for just 5 nights from Sept 1st to 5th. Yes, it's Annie and a crew including Hi-De-Hi legend, Su Pollard, singing the strains of "Hard Knock Life" and "Easy Street" plus more rags-to-riches anthems. Family tickets will be available.
Felicity Kendall still looks like a little pixie, even after all these years - obviously the Good Life has paid dividends and preserved her aura and cheeky smile. However, her character in Bernard Shaw's "Mrs Warren's Profession" during November is somewhat shady since she has funded her daughter's expensive via hooky gear....well, suspected ill-gotten gains shall we say. The relationship between mother and daughter is explored to some degree in this involving play. Kendall's upper-class friend and nemesis in The Good Life, Margo, also makes an appearance in Richmond a month earlier in "Entertaining Angels", a light-hearted tale of a clergy's wife finding out how great life really is after the death of her husband. But the truth about that marriage comes to light when her estranged sister arrives on the scene. Home truths abound.
Edward Woodward and Michelle Dotrice are husband and wife in real life so should find the gentle rigours of "Love Letters" a breeze. But the story involves them being apart for half a century - they met at school, they kept in touch through written correspondence (no Facebook here) and they did everything apart, but they never got back together and never discovered what they should have done. The letters outline a bittersweet relationship between the two of them whilst individually marrying, divorcing and entering latter middle age. Want to know what was written? There are just 3 performances from Sep 10th to 12th in which to find out!
Other high-profile appearances will also include Neil Morrissey (fresh from his beer-creating antics) in "Rainman" and Liza Goddard in "The Grass Is Greener" - see dates below for details. Richmond Theatre is about 5 minutes walk from the tube/rail station and just off the Green. Here's to another 110 years!
- Fri 13th Sep 2019 Bonnie LangfordBuy Tickets
- Mon 16th Sep 2019 to Sat 21st Sep 2019 A Woman of no ImportanceBuy Tickets
- Tue 24th Sep 2019 to Sat 28th Sep 2019 Boeing BoeingBuy Tickets
- Sun 29th Sep 2019 Richard HerringBuy Tickets
- Mon 7th Oct 2019 to Sat 12th Oct 2019 A Taste of HoneyBuy Tickets
- Sun 20th Oct 2019 Ruby WaxBuy Tickets
- Mon 21st Oct 2019 to Sat 26th Oct 2019 Nigel Slater's ToastBuy Tickets
- Wed 30th Oct 2019 to Sat 2nd Nov 2019 Billionaire BoyBuy Tickets
- Sun 3rd Nov 2019 Ardal O'Hanlon: The Showing off Must Go onBuy Tickets
- Sun 10th Nov 2019 What's Love Got To Do With It?Buy Tickets
- Mon 18th Nov 2019 to Sat 23rd Nov 2019 Frankenstein - The Modern PrometheusBuy Tickets
- Sun 24th Nov 2019 Carole - The Music of Carole KingBuy Tickets
- Mon 25th Nov 2019 to Sat 30th Nov 2019 Rocky Horror ShowBuy Tickets
- Mon 25th Nov 2019 to Sat 30th Nov 2019 The EntertainerBuy Tickets
- Sat 7th Dec 2019 to Sun 5th Jan 2020 Snow WhiteBuy Tickets
- Thu 9th Jan 2020 Some Guys Have All The Luck - The Rod Stewart StoryBuy Tickets
- Fri 10th Jan 2020 ABBA ManiaBuy Tickets
- Sat 11th Jan 2020 The Magic of MotownBuy Tickets
- Tue 14th Jan 2020 to Sat 18th Jan 2020 Dial 'M' for MurderBuy Tickets
- Mon 27th Jan 2020 to Thu 30th Jan 2020 Moscow City BalletBuy Tickets
- Sat 1st Feb 2020 and Sun 2nd Feb 2020 Peppa PigBuy Tickets
- Tue 10th Mar 2020 to Sat 14th Mar 2020 The Kite RunnerBuy Tickets
- Sun 15th Mar 2020 Ed Byrne: If I'm Honest...Buy Tickets
- Thu 26th Mar 2020 Round The HorneBuy Tickets
- Fri 27th Mar 2020 and Sat 28th Mar 2020 Milton JonesBuy Tickets
- Sun 29th Mar 2020 Seven Drunken Nights: The Story of the DublinersBuy Tickets
- Sun 5th Apr 2020 and Mon 6th Apr 2020 Ellen Kent - Opera InternationalBuy Tickets
- Thu 9th Apr 2020 to Sun 12th Apr 2020 Beast QuestBuy Tickets
- Sun 4th Oct 2020 Jimmy CarrBuy Tickets