Electric Guitar pioneer Les Paul dies, aged 94
Electric guitar pioneer Les Paul has today died of complications from pneumonia, aged 94.
His name is synonymous with both the Gibson guitar which bears his name, as well as his sped-up guitar lines of his late 40s "half speed" records. The innovative guitarist invented many devices and techniques - the majority of which were due to his frustration with the limitations of guitars/ recording equipment at the time. Indeed, his invention of the guitar "pickup", which basically involved him bastardising a record deck and using the moving magnet pickup of the tonearm to amplify the sounds of the vibrating strings transformed (eventually) the way "modern" music is made... and I use the word "modern" with tongue firmly in cheek.
The Gibson Les Paul has gone on to be one of the most successful guitars in history, with it being the guitar of choice for rock-heads, blues strummers and jazz players.
Living to the grand old age of 94, he was gigging up to the last, playing live in New York, and in 2006 winning two Grammys for his album 'Les Paul & Friends: American Made World Played'. Grammys are not the only awards he picked-up in his life, he was inducted into many "halls of fame" as well as being an honorary member of the Audio Engineering Society (AES).
Les died on Thursday 13th August in hospital with his family and friends by his side.
You may be interested in
- Thu 23rd May 2019 to Fri 31st May 2019 Glen Matlock, Earl SlickBuy Tickets
- Thu 6th Jun 2019 John WheatcroftThe Continental (Preston)Buy Tickets
- Sun 9th Jun 2019 Antonio ForcioneJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sun 16th Jun 2019 Charlie Hunter, Lucy WoodwardRonnie Scotts (Soho)Buy Tickets
- Wed 19th Jun 2019 Glasgow Jazz Festival, Charlie Hunter, Lucy WoodwardThe Blue Arrow Club (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Thu 20th Jun 2019 Glasgow Jazz Festival, Martin TaylorSaint Luke's Glasgow (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sun 23rd Jun 2019 The Eagles, Sheryl CrowWembley Stadium (Wembley)Buy Tickets
- Tue 25th Jun 2019 and Wed 26th Jun 2019 Sheryl CrowBuy Tickets
- Tue 25th Jun 2019 John EtheridgeThe Lantern (Halifax)Buy Tickets
- Fri 12th Jul 2019 and Sat 13th Jul 2019 Mike Stern, Dave WecklBuy Tickets
- Thu 18th Jul 2019 and Fri 19th Jul 2019 Apollo Nights, George BensonBuy Tickets
- Thu 25th Jul 2019 to Wed 6th Nov 2019 Gordon HaskellBuy Tickets
- Tue 30th Jul 2019 and Wed 31st Jul 2019 Courtney Pine, Cameron PierreBuy Tickets
- Thu 3rd Oct 2019 to Sat 5th Oct 2019 John JorgensonBuy Tickets
- Sat 16th Nov 2019 Nick PrideThe Holroyd Arms (Guildford)Buy Tickets
- Thu 21st Nov 2019 Antonio Forcione, Seckou Keita, The Adriano Adewale GroupBand on the Wall (Manchester)Buy Tickets