Electric Guitar pioneer Les Paul dies, aged 94
Electric guitar pioneer Les Paul has today died of complications from pneumonia, aged 94.
His name is synonymous with both the Gibson guitar which bears his name, as well as his sped-up guitar lines of his late 40s "half speed" records. The innovative guitarist invented many devices and techniques - the majority of which were due to his frustration with the limitations of guitars/ recording equipment at the time. Indeed, his invention of the guitar "pickup", which basically involved him bastardising a record deck and using the moving magnet pickup of the tonearm to amplify the sounds of the vibrating strings transformed (eventually) the way "modern" music is made... and I use the word "modern" with tongue firmly in cheek.
The Gibson Les Paul has gone on to be one of the most successful guitars in history, with it being the guitar of choice for rock-heads, blues strummers and jazz players.
Living to the grand old age of 94, he was gigging up to the last, playing live in New York, and in 2006 winning two Grammys for his album 'Les Paul & Friends: American Made World Played'. Grammys are not the only awards he picked-up in his life, he was inducted into many "halls of fame" as well as being an honorary member of the Audio Engineering Society (AES).
Les died on Thursday 13th August in hospital with his family and friends by his side.
You may be interested in
- Tue 22nd May 2018 The Rolling Stones, Liam Gallagher: No FilterThe London Stadium - Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park (Newham)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 The Rolling Stones, Florence and the Machine: No FilterThe London Stadium - Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park (Newham)Buy Tickets
- Tue 29th May 2018 The Rolling Stones, The Vaccines: No FilterSt Mary's - Southampton FC (Southampton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Jun 2018 The Rolling Stones, The Specials: No FilterRicoh Arena / Ericsson Arena (Coventry)Buy Tickets
- Tue 5th Jun 2018 and Sat 9th Jun 2018 The Rolling Stones, Richard Ashcroft: No FilterBuy Tickets
- Sun 10th Jun 2018 and Fri 15th Jun 2018 Woody MannBuy Tickets
- Tue 12th Jun 2018 and Wed 13th Jun 2018 Jeff BeckBuy Tickets
- Fri 15th Jun 2018 The Rolling Stones, Elbow: No FilterPrincipality (Millennium) Stadium (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Fri 15th Jun 2018 Live at Chelsea, Jeff BeckThe Royal Hospital (Chelsea)Buy Tickets
- Sun 17th Jun 2018 to Fri 29th Jun 2018 George BensonBuy Tickets
- Tue 19th Jun 2018 to Fri 22nd Jun 2018 Sheryl CrowBuy Tickets
- Tue 19th Jun 2018 The Rolling Stones, James Bay: No FilterTwickenham Stadium (Twickenham)Buy Tickets
- Wed 27th Jun 2018 A Life in Song: Quincy Jones, Caro Emerald, Jess Glynne, Lalah Hathaway, Mic... - Live in ConcertThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Tue 10th Jul 2018 Innervisions Festival, Werkha, Kris Bowers, Cleveland Watkis...100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Tue 17th Jul 2018 Julian LageJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sun 29th Jul 2018 Mike SternJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Mon 6th Aug 2018 Lee Ritenour, Dave GrusinBand on the Wall (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Wed 22nd Aug 2018 The Damned, Slim Jim PhantomO2 Guildhall (Southampton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Dec 2018 Martin Taylor, Martin SimpsonThe Marine Theatre - Lyme Regis (Dorset)Buy Tickets