Electric Guitar pioneer Les Paul dies, aged 94
Electric guitar pioneer Les Paul has today died of complications from pneumonia, aged 94.
His name is synonymous with both the Gibson guitar which bears his name, as well as his sped-up guitar lines of his late 40s "half speed" records. The innovative guitarist invented many devices and techniques - the majority of which were due to his frustration with the limitations of guitars/ recording equipment at the time. Indeed, his invention of the guitar "pickup", which basically involved him bastardising a record deck and using the moving magnet pickup of the tonearm to amplify the sounds of the vibrating strings transformed (eventually) the way "modern" music is made... and I use the word "modern" with tongue firmly in cheek.
The Gibson Les Paul has gone on to be one of the most successful guitars in history, with it being the guitar of choice for rock-heads, blues strummers and jazz players.
Living to the grand old age of 94, he was gigging up to the last, playing live in New York, and in 2006 winning two Grammys for his album 'Les Paul & Friends: American Made World Played'. Grammys are not the only awards he picked-up in his life, he was inducted into many "halls of fame" as well as being an honorary member of the Audio Engineering Society (AES).
Les died on Thursday 13th August in hospital with his family and friends by his side.
You may be interested in
- Thu 3rd Oct 2019 to Sat 5th Oct 2019 John JorgensonBuy Tickets
- Tue 15th Oct 2019 Bill FrisellCadogan Hall (Kensington and Chelsea)Buy Tickets
- Thu 17th Oct 2019 Deirdre CartwrightVortex Jazz Club (Dalston)Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th Oct 2019 to Wed 6th Nov 2019 Gordon HaskellBuy Tickets
- Sat 16th Nov 2019 Nick PrideThe Holroyd Arms (Guildford)Buy Tickets
- Sun 17th Nov 2019 Peter WhiteThe Cinnamon Club (Altrincham)Buy Tickets
- Thu 21st Nov 2019 Antonio Forcione, Seckou Keita, The Adriano Adewale GroupBand on the Wall (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Thu 21st Nov 2019 Ronnie WoodO2 Shepherds Bush Empire (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Nov 2019 Mike Stern, Jeff Lorber229 the venue - Great Portland Street (Marylebone)Buy Tickets
- Sat 14th Dec 2019 to Mon 23rd Dec 2019 Ronnie SpectorBuy Tickets
- Thu 19th Dec 2019 Ronnie Spector, The Ronettes: The Best Christmas Party Ever!O2 Shepherds Bush Empire (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Mon 4th May 2020 Martin TaylorThe Cambridge Junction (Cambridge)Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th May 2020 John Scofield, Steve SwallowCadogan Hall (Kensington and Chelsea)Buy Tickets
- Fri 29th May 2020 Adrian LeggMycenae House (Blackheath)Buy Tickets