Electric Guitar pioneer Les Paul dies, aged 94
Electric guitar pioneer Les Paul has today died of complications from pneumonia, aged 94.
His name is synonymous with both the Gibson guitar which bears his name, as well as his sped-up guitar lines of his late 40s "half speed" records. The innovative guitarist invented many devices and techniques - the majority of which were due to his frustration with the limitations of guitars/ recording equipment at the time. Indeed, his invention of the guitar "pickup", which basically involved him bastardising a record deck and using the moving magnet pickup of the tonearm to amplify the sounds of the vibrating strings transformed (eventually) the way "modern" music is made... and I use the word "modern" with tongue firmly in cheek.
The Gibson Les Paul has gone on to be one of the most successful guitars in history, with it being the guitar of choice for rock-heads, blues strummers and jazz players.
Living to the grand old age of 94, he was gigging up to the last, playing live in New York, and in 2006 winning two Grammys for his album 'Les Paul & Friends: American Made World Played'. Grammys are not the only awards he picked-up in his life, he was inducted into many "halls of fame" as well as being an honorary member of the Audio Engineering Society (AES).
Les died on Thursday 13th August in hospital with his family and friends by his side.
You may be interested in
- Sat 24th Feb 2018 and Sun 25th Feb 2018 The Guitar ShowBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Mar 2018 Jim MullenTalking Heads (Southampton)Buy Tickets
- Sun 6th May 2018 Kyle EastwoodSt Mary's Church - Rye (Sussex)Buy Tickets
- Tue 15th May 2018 John Scofield, Gerald ClaytonUnion Chapel (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sun 10th Jun 2018 Woody MannThe Greystones (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Sun 17th Jun 2018 to Fri 29th Jun 2018 George BensonBuy Tickets
- Tue 19th Jun 2018 to Fri 22nd Jun 2018 Sheryl CrowOn SaleFri 23rd Febat 10am
- Tue 17th Jul 2018 Julian LageJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Wed 22nd Aug 2018 The Damned, Slim Jim PhantomO2 Guildhall (Southampton)Buy Tickets