The Durutti Column box-set 'The First Four Factory Albums' remastered, released 10th August 2009
The Durutti Column will have the first batch of their extensive back catalogue digitally remastered by their label, Kookydisc released this Monday (10th August). Imaginatively titled "The First Four Factory Albums", it features just that plus an extra 2 discs of hard-to-find live and out-take tracks added to the extensive package. These unreleased pieces will represent the era covered by the albums in the lavish set and will no doubt cause Factory collectors and DC aficionados to salivate profusely before parting with their hard-earned cash.
Although the 4 albums have been packaged together before (as the 'Japonica' collection), this is a work of love with plenty of interviews and photos otherwise unseen. So, what of the music inside the box?
The first disc is "Return Of The Durutti Column" and is generally regarded as Vini Reilly's finest hour - I would disagree since the whole set is about 30 minutes long! However, when you consider when this sparse, tranquil and atmospheric clutch of instrumentals was recorded (1979) and the technology involved (guitar, rhythm box), you can appreciate just how ahead of the game this under-rated band were. I say 'band' - these recordings were an intimate session between Reilly and production legend, Martin Hannett yet the music sounds like a small ensemble has made it.
The follow-up opus, "LC", may not have reached the heights of its predecessor but there are some inspiring moments across the 10 tracks - oh, and this was one of several early releases with Vini singing on it (much to the chagrin of Factory honcho and best friend, Antony H Wilson). It is the songs, however, that make this album as interesting as it is. "Never Known" is an achingly, desolate paean while "Missing Boy" and "Sketch For Dawn" are evocative enough, let alone the former being a nod towards another lost friend, Ian Curtis.
3rd album 'Another Setting' suffered badly from an appalling pressing quality and a muddy production. But aside from these basic drawbacks, it isn't a bad record overall. "Prayer", a previous single and a surprising inclusion (Factory rarely put singles on albums in those days) is a neo-romantic classical air, "For A Western" and "Second Family" sound like soundtracks to imaginary documentaries and vocal tracks "The Beggar" and "Dream Of A Child" are powerful tracks turned into puppies on a restraining order. Patchy, yet no less interesting.
The final album in the set is "Without Mercy" and this for me is one of Reilly's real landmarks. Just 2 tracks in length, it featured a string quartet and guest wind and brass instrumentalists who transformed the often sparse DC sound into a full-blown orchestral treat. Add in some pretty hefty DX7 drum-breaks and you have an album that is still unique to this day. Reilly isn't keen on it apparently but I think he is being harsh - this often pretty and often morose music exudes longevity and continuous play-backs.
Finally, the extra tracks are drawn from 3 live concerts and a host of out-takes and home demos including a couple of unheard tracks.
'The First Four Factory Albums' package is released via Kookydisc on Monday 10th August 2009.
Interest in Durutti Column has increased since their brief appearance on BBC2's Culture Show as well as remembrance concerts for Tony Wilson during the Summer. The legend lives on.
You may be interested in
- Sat 21st Sep 2019 The Sisters of MercyRoundhouse (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Sep 2019 and Thu 17th Oct 2019 Peter Hook and the Light: Signature SeriesBuy Tickets
- Sat 21st Sep 2019 PKRP, Factory Records: Factory RecordsBread and Roses (Plymouth)Buy Tickets
- Sun 22nd Sep 2019 Justin Currie, True North Festival, Richard Jobson, Chris Du...Music Hall (Aberdeen)Buy Tickets
- Mon 23rd Sep 2019 to Tue 19th Nov 2019 The Howl and the HumBuy Tickets
- Wed 25th Sep 2019 to Tue 4th Feb 2020 The Blackheart OrchestraBuy Tickets
- Wed 25th Sep 2019 to Sat 30th Nov 2019 POZIBuy Tickets
- Thu 26th Sep 2019 to Sun 29th Sep 2019 Emma Ruth RundleBuy Tickets
- Fri 27th Sep 2019 The Membranes, John Robb, Folk Devils100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 27th Sep 2019 to Wed 30th Oct 2019 Shaun RyderBuy Tickets
- Sat 28th Sep 2019 to Fri 6th Dec 2019 John Cooper ClarkeBuy Tickets
- Sat 28th Sep 2019 to Sat 29th Feb 2020 The Monochrome SetBuy Tickets
- Sat 28th Sep 2019 SubterraneansThe River Rooms (Stourbridge)Buy Tickets
- Sat 28th Sep 2019 Altered ImagesThe Welly Club (Hull)Buy Tickets
- Tue 1st Oct 2019 to Sat 12th Oct 2019 The Psychedelic Furs, Wendy JamesBuy Tickets
- Fri 4th Oct 2019 ShriekbackAll Saints Church (Hove)Buy Tickets
- Fri 4th Oct 2019 Sound City Ipswich, Novelist, Snapped Ankles, W. H. Lung, Em...Various Ipswich Venues (Ipswich)Buy Tickets
- Tue 8th Oct 2019 to Wed 30th Oct 2019 Snapped AnklesBuy Tickets
- Wed 9th Oct 2019 to Sat 19th Oct 2019 Husky LoopsBuy Tickets
- Thu 10th Oct 2019 to Sat 9th Nov 2019 HengeBuy Tickets
- Thu 10th Oct 2019 to Sun 13th Oct 2019 Bis, LIINESBuy Tickets
- Fri 11th Oct 2019 to Sat 2nd Nov 2019 The MembranesBuy Tickets
- Fri 11th Oct 2019 BlurtThe Fish Factory (Falmouth)Buy Tickets
- Sat 12th Oct 2019 808 State, Luke Vibert, Jon DaSilva: I Love AcidGorilla (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 12th Oct 2019 The Warehouse Project, Hacienda Classical, Soul II Soul, A C...: The Hacienda Must Be BuiltMayfield Depot (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th Oct 2019 and Sat 19th Oct 2019 PenetrationBuy Tickets
- Fri 18th Oct 2019 to Sat 26th Oct 2019 LadytronBuy Tickets
- Fri 18th Oct 2019 and Fri 8th Nov 2019 Henge, The Evil UssesBuy Tickets
- Sat 19th Oct 2019 Ritual Union, Teleman, The Comet is Coming, Ibibio Sound Mac...O2 Academy Oxford (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 19th Oct 2019 Holly Herndon, Ata Kak, Simple Things Festival [Day], Nil&uu...Various Bristol Venues (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Sun 20th Oct 2019 Andy Mackay, Phil ManzaneraNew Alexandra Theatre (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Tue 22nd Oct 2019 to Sun 27th Oct 2019 Chromatics: Double ExposureBuy Tickets
- Wed 23rd Oct 2019 to Sat 21st Dec 2019 Happy Mondays: Greatest HitsBuy Tickets
- Wed 23rd Oct 2019 to Wed 20th Nov 2019 OMD: SouvenirBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th Oct 2019 to Wed 30th Oct 2019 CHAIBuy Tickets
- Sat 26th Oct 2019 to Sat 30th Nov 2019 Brix and the ExtricatedBuy Tickets
- Sun 27th Oct 2019 Klammer, Killing Eve, Mutant MovementThe Met Lounge and Ballroom (Whitby)Buy Tickets
- Thu 31st Oct 2019 to Thu 14th Nov 2019 WarmduscherBuy Tickets
- Fri 1st Nov 2019 Tomorrow's Ghosts Festival, Clan Of Xymox, She Past Away, Al...Whitby Pavilion Theatre (Whitby)Buy Tickets
- Fri 1st Nov 2019 Happy Mondays Aftershow Party, Bez, Rowetta, Alan McGeeChinnerys (Southend)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Nov 2019 to Wed 11th Dec 2019 A Certain RatioBuy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Nov 2019 She Past AwaySlay Glasgow (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Mon 4th Nov 2019 to Fri 8th Nov 2019 Tropical Fuck StormBuy Tickets
- Wed 6th Nov 2019 Anna Of The NorthHeaven (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Nov 2019 2Q Festival, The Pale White, The Futureheads, The Blinders, ...Various Venues (Lincoln)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Nov 2019 to Tue 19th Nov 2019 The Ninth WaveBuy Tickets
- Sun 10th Nov 2019 to Fri 15th Nov 2019 Imogen HeapBuy Tickets
- Sun 10th Nov 2019 to Sat 16th Nov 2019 The RaincoatsBuy Tickets
- Mon 11th Nov 2019 to Sat 23rd Nov 2019 Elder IslandBuy Tickets
- Tue 12th Nov 2019 to Sun 1st Dec 2019 Hugh Cornwell: ElectricBuy Tickets
- Wed 13th Nov 2019 to Wed 18th Dec 2019 Echo and the BunnymenBuy Tickets