The Durutti Column box-set 'The First Four Factory Albums' remastered, released 10th August 2009
The Durutti Column will have the first batch of their extensive back catalogue digitally remastered by their label, Kookydisc released this Monday (10th August). Imaginatively titled "The First Four Factory Albums", it features just that plus an extra 2 discs of hard-to-find live and out-take tracks added to the extensive package. These unreleased pieces will represent the era covered by the albums in the lavish set and will no doubt cause Factory collectors and DC aficionados to salivate profusely before parting with their hard-earned cash.
Although the 4 albums have been packaged together before (as the 'Japonica' collection), this is a work of love with plenty of interviews and photos otherwise unseen. So, what of the music inside the box?
The first disc is "Return Of The Durutti Column" and is generally regarded as Vini Reilly's finest hour - I would disagree since the whole set is about 30 minutes long! However, when you consider when this sparse, tranquil and atmospheric clutch of instrumentals was recorded (1979) and the technology involved (guitar, rhythm box), you can appreciate just how ahead of the game this under-rated band were. I say 'band' - these recordings were an intimate session between Reilly and production legend, Martin Hannett yet the music sounds like a small ensemble has made it.
The follow-up opus, "LC", may not have reached the heights of its predecessor but there are some inspiring moments across the 10 tracks - oh, and this was one of several early releases with Vini singing on it (much to the chagrin of Factory honcho and best friend, Antony H Wilson). It is the songs, however, that make this album as interesting as it is. "Never Known" is an achingly, desolate paean while "Missing Boy" and "Sketch For Dawn" are evocative enough, let alone the former being a nod towards another lost friend, Ian Curtis.
3rd album 'Another Setting' suffered badly from an appalling pressing quality and a muddy production. But aside from these basic drawbacks, it isn't a bad record overall. "Prayer", a previous single and a surprising inclusion (Factory rarely put singles on albums in those days) is a neo-romantic classical air, "For A Western" and "Second Family" sound like soundtracks to imaginary documentaries and vocal tracks "The Beggar" and "Dream Of A Child" are powerful tracks turned into puppies on a restraining order. Patchy, yet no less interesting.
The final album in the set is "Without Mercy" and this for me is one of Reilly's real landmarks. Just 2 tracks in length, it featured a string quartet and guest wind and brass instrumentalists who transformed the often sparse DC sound into a full-blown orchestral treat. Add in some pretty hefty DX7 drum-breaks and you have an album that is still unique to this day. Reilly isn't keen on it apparently but I think he is being harsh - this often pretty and often morose music exudes longevity and continuous play-backs.
Finally, the extra tracks are drawn from 3 live concerts and a host of out-takes and home demos including a couple of unheard tracks.
'The First Four Factory Albums' package is released via Kookydisc on Monday 10th August 2009.
Interest in Durutti Column has increased since their brief appearance on BBC2's Culture Show as well as remembrance concerts for Tony Wilson during the Summer. The legend lives on.
You may be interested in
- Tue 20th Nov 2018 to Fri 30th Nov 2018 ShameBuy Tickets
- Tue 20th Nov 2018 Interpol, Nilüfer YanyaOlympia Theatre (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 to Mon 26th Nov 2018 Florence and the Machine: High As HopeBuy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Nov 2018 to Thu 16th May 2019 John Cooper ClarkeBuy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Nov 2018 Blue OrchidsThe Moon Club (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Nov 2018 to Fri 21st Dec 2018 808 State, Lone: 30Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Nov 2018 to Sat 8th Dec 2018 Miles Kane, CabbageBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Nov 2018 to Sat 6th Apr 2019 HengeBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Nov 2018 and Sun 25th Nov 2018 Hugh Cornwell: Electric MonsterBuy Tickets
- Sat 24th Nov 2018 to Sat 1st Dec 2018 Suburban LivingBuy Tickets
- Sat 24th Nov 2018 to Tue 27th Nov 2018 EDENBuy Tickets
- Sat 24th Nov 2018 and Sat 1st Dec 2018 A Certain RatioBuy Tickets
- Sat 24th Nov 2018 to Thu 7th Feb 2019 BEAK>Buy Tickets
- Mon 26th Nov 2018 Andy MackayQueen Elizabeth Hall (Lambeth)Buy Tickets
- Mon 26th Nov 2018 to Thu 6th Dec 2018 The Good, the Bad and the QueenBuy Tickets
- Tue 27th Nov 2018 Everything EverythingO2 Shepherds Bush Empire (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Tue 27th Nov 2018 Stealing Sheep, Luna24 Kitchen Street (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Thu 29th Nov 2018 to Fri 5th Apr 2019 Black Grape, Shaun RyderBuy Tickets
- Thu 29th Nov 2018 LunaOld Fire Station (Carlisle)Buy Tickets
- Thu 29th Nov 2018 to Tue 4th Dec 2018 Still CornersBuy Tickets
- Thu 29th Nov 2018 John CaleDe La Warr Pavilion (Sussex)Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 to Sat 16th Feb 2019 The Monochrome SetBuy Tickets
- Wed 5th Dec 2018 to Sun 9th Dec 2018 james, The CharlatansBuy Tickets
- Wed 5th Dec 2018 and Fri 22nd Feb 2019 The Blackheart OrchestraBuy Tickets
- Thu 6th Dec 2018 to Sat 8th Dec 2018 Amusement Parks On FireBuy Tickets
- Thu 6th Dec 2018 WasuremonoMole's Club (Bath)Buy Tickets
- Fri 7th Dec 2018 Husky LoopsPatterns (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Dec 2018 to Tue 18th Dec 2018 Mercury Rev: Deserter's SongsBuy Tickets
- Sun 9th Dec 2018 to Sun 16th Dec 2018 Chameleons VoxBuy Tickets
- Wed 12th Dec 2018 SlowdiveConcorde 2 (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Thu 13th Dec 2018 The Pretty Things, David Gilmour, Van Morrison: Final BowIndigo at the O2 (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Thu 13th Dec 2018 The War On Drugs, SlowdiveThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Fri 14th Dec 2018 and Sat 15th Dec 2018 BlurtBuy Tickets
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 808 StateSWG3 (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 WarmduscherWharf Chambers (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 Happy Mondays, Tom HingleyThe Avenue (Chesterfield)Buy Tickets
- Thu 20th Dec 2018 Echo and the BunnymenHolmfirth Picturedrome (West Yorkshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Dec 2018 and Sat 4th May 2019 The Filthy TonguesBuy Tickets
- Mon 31st Dec 2018 Everything Everything, Tom Grennan, New Year's Eve PartyVictoria Warehouse (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sun 13th Jan 2019 to Sat 19th Jan 2019 Bad SunsBuy Tickets
- Mon 14th Jan 2019 to Wed 23rd Jan 2019 Neil Finn, Liam FinnBuy Tickets
- Thu 17th Jan 2019 to Tue 5th Feb 2019 The Howl and the HumBuy Tickets
- Sat 26th Jan 2019 Altered ImagesBrudenell Social (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Tue 29th Jan 2019 to Sat 16th Feb 2019 Her'sBuy Tickets
- Fri 1st Feb 2019 Elder IslandEartH [Hackney Arts Centre] (Stoke Newington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 1st Feb 2019 and Fri 26th Apr 2019 PenetrationBuy Tickets
- Fri 1st Feb 2019 John MetcalfeGullivers Bar (Northern Quarter)Buy Tickets
- Thu 7th Feb 2019 to Sat 23rd Feb 2019 Peter Hook: Technique and RepublicBuy Tickets
- Mon 11th Feb 2019 to Tue 19th Feb 2019 Wild NothingBuy Tickets
- Mon 11th Feb 2019 to Fri 22nd Feb 2019 The Joy FormidableBuy Tickets
- Sun 17th Feb 2019 and Mon 18th Feb 2019 Yo La TengoBuy Tickets