HMV turns record label to release The Boxer Rebellion's album 'Union', September 2009
The Boxer Rebellion have today announced a groundbreaking collaboration with HMV, which will see the retailer act as a strategic partner for their second album UNION. In the first deal of its kind, HMV will advance the costs of the album and give it promotional support, in exchange for a share of the revenues. The partnership allows The Boxer Rebellion to remain proudly independent, and continue to find innovative ways to engage with their fans.
UNION will be released on CD on 14 September in HMV and selected independent retailers, and can also be pre-ordered via hmv.com and other online stores in both physical and digital formats. The release will be supported with a week of live in-store performances and album signings at HMV stores around the country, including the flagship Oxford Circus store.
The Boxer Rebellion will also commence a UK tour on 22 September, for which HMV will have an exclusive window on ticket sales. Tickets go on sale at hmv.com on 23 July, and will also be available to fans as part of a special album bundle for just £15 (including the ticket's booking fee). The band most recently performed on Glastonbury's Other Stage and will also be playing thelondonpaper's Headliners Festival on 17th September.
Since being signed on the back of an explosive Glastonbury performance in 2003, The Boxer Rebellion have infamously suffered a stop-start career at the hands of a volatile music industry. The aptly-titled and self-produced UNION is the triumphant result of what can be achieved when ability, commitment and relentless drive converge towards a shared, immovable goal. From the opening assault of 'Flashing Red Light Means Go' through the insistent 'Spitting Fire' to the redemptive closer 'Silent Movie', the overriding effect of UNION is of going through an emotional storm and arriving replenished on the other side.
UNION follows the band's 2005 debut LP EXITS on Alan McGee's Poptones/Mercury imprint. NME proclaimed at the time, 'This band can alter your life.' Kerrang! wrote, 'If you're crying out for substance in music, The Boxer Rebellion are here to soothe your soul,' and both The Fly and MusicOMH dubbed the album 'flawless'. As their label imploded, and singer Nathan Nicholson found himself critically ill on a life-support machine, EXITS took on a life of its own, passed quietly from person to person until it had amassed an army of feverishly devoted fans. Following Nicholson's difficult but eventual recovery the band continued to perform live, and it was at these decisive shows - always underpinned by new songs well before they could ever be recorded - that the spirit of a new album came into being.
Ultimately taking matters into their own hands, The Boxer Rebellion self-released UNION through iTunes on 13 January 2009, with lead track 'Evacuate' becoming the first ever global iTunes Single of the Week and amassing an astonishing 560,000 downloads in seven days. UNION went Top
5 on both iTunes US and UK Albums Charts within 48 hours, resulting in The Boxer Rebellion becoming the first unsigned band to break into the Billboard Top 100 Albums Chart on a digital-only release. UNION also knocked My Morning Jacket off the iTunes US Alternative Albums No.1 that week, and at one point was outselling the likes of Coldplay and Kings of Leon.
The album release will be preceded by a limited-edition double A-side single, 'Semi-Automatic/Flashing Red Light Means Go', released 7 September on 10" vinyl picture disc. Only 500 copies will be pressed.
You may be interested in
- Sun 23rd Sep 2018 Holy EsqueSticky Mike's Frog Bar (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Sun 23rd Sep 2018 and Thu 4th Oct 2018 LifeBuy Tickets
- Sun 23rd Sep 2018 Boston Manor, WallflowerMama Roux's (Digbeth)More Info..
- Sun 23rd Sep 2018 and Mon 24th Sep 2018 Chuck ProphetBuy Tickets
- Mon 24th Sep 2018 to Mon 1st Oct 2018 Tom ClarkeBuy Tickets
- Mon 24th Sep 2018 to Wed 26th Sep 2018 MitskiBuy Tickets
- Mon 24th Sep 2018 to Sat 29th Sep 2018 Julien BakerBuy Tickets
- Mon 24th Sep 2018 to Thu 27th Sep 2018 Arctic Monkeys, The Lemon TwigsBuy Tickets
- Mon 24th Sep 2018 to Sat 29th Sep 2018 La LuzBuy Tickets
- Mon 24th Sep 2018 Biffy Clyro: UnpluggedRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Mon 24th Sep 2018 to Fri 5th Oct 2018 AIRWAYSBuy Tickets
- Mon 24th Sep 2018 to Sun 30th Sep 2018 Bivouac: 25 Years of TuberBuy Tickets
- Tue 25th Sep 2018 to Thu 27th Sep 2018 Spring KingBuy Tickets
- Tue 25th Sep 2018 Chuck Prophet, Jesse MalinKomedia (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Tue 25th Sep 2018 and Wed 26th Sep 2018 Les Negresses VertesBuy Tickets
- Tue 25th Sep 2018 Manic Street PreachersO2 Shepherds Bush Empire (Shepherds Bush)More Info..
- Tue 25th Sep 2018 to Fri 28th Sep 2018 The Dirty NilBuy Tickets
- Wed 26th Sep 2018 Tom Clarke, Joe DolmanFibbers (York)Buy Tickets
- Wed 26th Sep 2018 Franz FerdinandRoundhouse (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Wed 26th Sep 2018 to Sat 27th Oct 2018 We Are ScientistsBuy Tickets
- Wed 26th Sep 2018 to Wed 3rd Oct 2018 Black FoxxesBuy Tickets
- Thu 27th Sep 2018 to Sat 13th Oct 2018 Ricky WarwickBuy Tickets
- Thu 27th Sep 2018 The Xcerts, The LafontainesBucks Chiltern University SU/ The Academy/ White Room (High Wycombe)Buy Tickets
- Thu 27th Sep 2018 to Thu 25th Oct 2018 Shit Indie Disco ThursdaysBuy Tickets
- Fri 28th Sep 2018 Arctic MonkeysMetro Radio Arena (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th Sep 2018 to Tue 16th Oct 2018 Ricky Warwick, Damon JohnsonBuy Tickets
- Sat 29th Sep 2018 Star Shaped Festival, Ocean Colour Scene, Black Grape, Echob...O2 Academy Brixton (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Sep 2018 Wonk UnitRedrum (Stafford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Sep 2018 BlackWaters, No Hot Ashes [Manchester], AnterosClwb Ifor Bach (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Sep 2018 Mark HolleyOrt Cafe (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Sep 2018 Gruff RhysJubilee Central Church (Hull)On SaleMon 24th Sepat 9am
- Mon 1st Oct 2018 to Thu 11th Oct 2018 Roddy WoombleBuy Tickets
- Mon 1st Oct 2018 to Tue 9th Oct 2018 Three Days GraceBuy Tickets
- Mon 1st Oct 2018 Ricky Warwick, Damon Johnson, Black Star RidersRobin (Wolverhampton)Buy Tickets
- Tue 2nd Oct 2018 to Sun 7th Oct 2018 Mark Lanegan, Duke GarwoodBuy Tickets
- Tue 2nd Oct 2018 to Thu 11th Oct 2018 FathersonBuy Tickets
- Tue 2nd Oct 2018 and Wed 3rd Oct 2018 TTNGBuy Tickets
- Wed 3rd Oct 2018 to Sat 6th Oct 2018 The Wedding PresentBuy Tickets
- Wed 3rd Oct 2018 to Fri 12th Oct 2018 The Rifles: Singles TourBuy Tickets
- Wed 3rd Oct 2018 to Thu 11th Oct 2018 Demons of Ruby MaeBuy Tickets
- Wed 3rd Oct 2018 to Thu 25th Oct 2018 The AcademicBuy Tickets
- Thu 4th Oct 2018 Knuckle Puck, Tiny Moving Parts, Movements1865 (Southampton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Oct 2018 Dead!Underworld (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Oct 2018 to Fri 19th Oct 2018 CHILDCAREBuy Tickets
- Sat 6th Oct 2018 to Sat 27th Oct 2018 BRIDGESBuy Tickets
- Sat 6th Oct 2018 Chris Helme, Mark MorrissThe Pelton Arms (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sat 6th Oct 2018 Rae Morris, Ten Tonnes, The Big MoonHouse Of Vans (Waterloo)Buy Tickets
- Sat 6th Oct 2018 Danny MahonThe Boulevard (Wigan)Buy Tickets
- Sun 7th Oct 2018 to Wed 24th Oct 2018 EditorsBuy Tickets
- Mon 8th Oct 2018 Mark LaneganRoyal Northern College of Music (RNCM) (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Mon 8th Oct 2018 to Tue 23rd Oct 2018 Say Sue MeBuy Tickets