Pixie Lott, N-Dubz,Tinchy Stryder and Chipmunk to feature in August 2009 War Child single
Yesterday, a bunch of guys calling themselves "Young Soul Rebels" headed into Metropolis studios in London to record a new single for award-winning charity War Child.
Featuring Pixie Lott, N-Dubz, Tinchy Stryder , Frankmusik, V.V. Brown, Kid British, Chipmunk, Mpho, McLean, Ironik, Domino Go, Bashy and Egypt, it's fair to say that "Young Soul Rebels" are a pretty awesome bunch. The song 'I Got Soul' is based around the lyric 'I got soul, but I'm not a soldier' from the Killers' anthemic 2005 single 'All These Things That I've Done'. The lyric was recently parodied by Bill Bailey in his Tinselworm live tour, where he modified the lyric to be 'I got ham, but I'm not a hamster'. The guys chose not to use that version though, sticking instead with the original, otherwise the message would have been lost... And that message is one that is designed to raise awareness on the plight of ex-child soldiers all over the world and the vital work carried-out by War Child.
The project was born after at the close of the Brits 2009 awards ceremony, where Coldplay, U2 and Take That joined The Killers to sing 'All These Things That I've Done'. The next day Bono commented:
That chant, 'I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier', has a whole new meaning when there is a War Child banner behind your head...
The single will be produced by Fraser T Smith (who has already produced hit songs for Tinchy Stryer and James Morrison this year) and will released in August.
War Child is an international children's charity working in some of the world's most dangerous war zones including Iraq, Afghanistan, the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda. It has an already impressive and proud history of brilliant projects in music, and just next week sees the latest instalment of it's 'Army of You' concerts at the Tabernacle in Notting Hill, featuring Filthy Dukes, Jeremy Warmsley, We Have Band, Crystal Fighters, The Phenomenal Handclap Band, Alan Pownall, firas, Stopmakingme and Leo Greenslade. Tickets cost just £8 + booking, with proceeds going to War Child.
Speaking about War Child, long-time ambassador Paul McCartney comments:
Imagine an army - if you can call it that - made up mostly of kids aged 13 or even younger. They face atrocities so bad that you can just about comprehend them but your brain cannot cope with them emotionally. This is happening all over the world right now. War Child help rescue children from fighting in these brutal wars. Rescuing a lot of these kids and reuniting them with their parents. Basically, they try to give these kids a chance of having a childhood like you and I are familiar with.
You may also be interested in
- Sat 27th Oct 2018 Musicians Against HomelessnessHeadway Artspace - Blyth (Northumberland)Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Nov 2018 Bethesda Game Studios in ConcertEventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Wed 7th Nov 2018 BBC Children In Need Rocks, George Ezra, Jess Glynne, Nile R...Wembley SSE Arena (Wembley)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Nov 2018 and Wed 12th Dec 2018 The Fulham Big Band, Fundraising EventMore Info..
- Fri 16th Nov 2018 Roar With LaughterEventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Dec 2018 Giggle AidFrog and Bucket Comedy Club (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Mon 3rd Dec 2018 Muse, The Prince's TrustRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Wed 5th Dec 2018 Laugh Till It Hurts, Stephen Grant, Joe Wilkinson, Sally-Ann...Bloomsbury Theatre (Bloomsbury)Buy Tickets
- Wed 5th Dec 2018 BRAINWAVES: Mind [charity]Gullivers Bar (Northern Quarter)Buy Tickets
- Mon 17th Dec 2018 An evening of music and entertainment in memory of Chas Hodges: In Memory Of Chas Hodges, Dave Peacock, Joe Brown, Albert Le...O2 Shepherds Bush Empire (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Sat 19th Jan 2019 to Sat 13th Jul 2019 Dementia Aware FestBuy Tickets
- Sat 9th Feb 2019 and Sat 19th Oct 2019 Rock For HeroesBuy Tickets
- Fri 19th Jul 2019 and Sat 20th Jul 2019 ChagstockBuy Tickets