Pixie Lott, N-Dubz,Tinchy Stryder and Chipmunk to feature in August 2009 War Child single
Yesterday, a bunch of guys calling themselves "Young Soul Rebels" headed into Metropolis studios in London to record a new single for award-winning charity War Child.
Featuring Pixie Lott, N-Dubz, Tinchy Stryder , Frankmusik, V.V. Brown, Kid British, Chipmunk, Mpho, McLean, Ironik, Domino Go, Bashy and Egypt, it's fair to say that "Young Soul Rebels" are a pretty awesome bunch. The song 'I Got Soul' is based around the lyric 'I got soul, but I'm not a soldier' from the Killers' anthemic 2005 single 'All These Things That I've Done'. The lyric was recently parodied by Bill Bailey in his Tinselworm live tour, where he modified the lyric to be 'I got ham, but I'm not a hamster'. The guys chose not to use that version though, sticking instead with the original, otherwise the message would have been lost... And that message is one that is designed to raise awareness on the plight of ex-child soldiers all over the world and the vital work carried-out by War Child.
The project was born after at the close of the Brits 2009 awards ceremony, where Coldplay, U2 and Take That joined The Killers to sing 'All These Things That I've Done'. The next day Bono commented:
That chant, 'I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier', has a whole new meaning when there is a War Child banner behind your head...
The single will be produced by Fraser T Smith (who has already produced hit songs for Tinchy Stryer and James Morrison this year) and will released in August.
War Child is an international children's charity working in some of the world's most dangerous war zones including Iraq, Afghanistan, the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda. It has an already impressive and proud history of brilliant projects in music, and just next week sees the latest instalment of it's 'Army of You' concerts at the Tabernacle in Notting Hill, featuring Filthy Dukes, Jeremy Warmsley, We Have Band, Crystal Fighters, The Phenomenal Handclap Band, Alan Pownall, firas, Stopmakingme and Leo Greenslade. Tickets cost just £8 + booking, with proceeds going to War Child.
Speaking about War Child, long-time ambassador Paul McCartney comments:
Imagine an army - if you can call it that - made up mostly of kids aged 13 or even younger. They face atrocities so bad that you can just about comprehend them but your brain cannot cope with them emotionally. This is happening all over the world right now. War Child help rescue children from fighting in these brutal wars. Rescuing a lot of these kids and reuniting them with their parents. Basically, they try to give these kids a chance of having a childhood like you and I are familiar with.
- Mon 19th Feb 2018 BRITs Week: Ed Sheeran, War ChildIndigo at the O2 (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Sun 18th Feb 2018 Sunday For SammyMetro Radio Arena (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 Cancer Research UKShipping Forecast (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 Russell Kane, Comic ReliefThe Y Theatre (Leicester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 Benefit gig for Ricky Ricketts: Groove Armada - DJ Set, Orbital, Freestylers, The Herbaliser...O2 Shepherds Bush Empire (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 to Sat 16th Jun 2018 Rock For HeroesBuy Tickets
- Tue 27th Feb 2018 Natalie Imbruglia, Eli 'Paperboy' Reed, Joy Crookes, Fundrai...: Ethiopiad FundraiserBush Hall (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Mar 2018 Ivo Graham, Danny Posthill, Fundraising EventAspire (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Wed 7th Mar 2018 Stand Up For Shelter, Shappi Khorsandi, Paul Chowdhry, Mo Gi...O2 Shepherds Bush Empire (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Mar 2018 and Thu 15th Mar 2018 Voice in a MillionBuy Tickets
- Sat 17th Mar 2018 Paddy's Night in Support of Comic Relief, Tommy Tiernan, Dei...3arena (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Sun 18th Mar 2018 and Sat 24th Mar 2018 Fundraising EventBuy Tickets
- Mon 19th Mar 2018 Teenage Cancer Trust, Ali CampbellRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Tue 20th Mar 2018 Miles Jupp, Glasgow International Comedy Festival, Fundraisi...Citizens Theatre (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Tue 20th Mar 2018 Teenage Cancer Trust, Russell HowardRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Wed 21st Mar 2018 Sandi Toksvig, Fundraising EventAlexandra Palace (London)Buy Tickets
- Wed 21st Mar 2018 Teenage Cancer Trust, Nile Rodgers, ChicRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Mar 2018 Teenage Cancer Trust, Roger DaltreyRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Mar 2018 Teenage Cancer Trust, The Courteeners: St JudeRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Mar 2018 Teenage Cancer Trust, KasabianRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)More Info..
- Sun 25th Mar 2018 Teenage Cancer Trust, Def LeppardRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Sun 25th Mar 2018 Marillion, Howard Jones, Fundraising Event: Benefit Concert for Earthly MessengerFriars (Aylesbury)Buy Tickets
- Sat 31st Mar 2018 and Sun 27th May 2018 Dementia Aware FestBuy Tickets
- Thu 5th Apr 2018 Gallipoli World Peace Concert: Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Fundraising EventCadogan Hall (Kensington and Chelsea)Buy Tickets
- Sun 29th Apr 2018 Mostly Autumn, Fundraising Event, FreewayThe Crescent Community Centre (York)Buy Tickets
- Fri 4th May 2018 Teddy Rocks, MC Lars, Woes, Blurd, StereoironicsCharisworth Farm - Blandford (Dorset)Buy Tickets
- Sat 5th May 2018 Teddy Rocks, Feeder, Mallory Knox, Eliza and the Bear, Devil...Charisworth Farm - Blandford (Dorset)Buy Tickets
- Sun 6th May 2018 Teddy Rocks, Ash, The Magic Numbers, InMe, Sonic Boom Six, T...Charisworth Farm - Blandford (Dorset)Buy Tickets
- Thu 10th May 2018 Nathan Moore, Owen Paul, Electro 80s, Fundraising EventPyramid/ Parr Hall (Warrington)Buy Tickets
- Thu 7th Jun 2018 Laugh Till It Hurts, Terry AldertonLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th Jun 2018 Vice Squad, Chron Gen, Abrasive Wheels, Anti-Pasti, Macmilla...Warehouse 23 (Wakefield)Buy Tickets
- Sun 26th Aug 2018 Wings and WheelsDunsfold Aerodrome (Surrey)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Sep 2018 Macmillan Cancer SupportThe Rescue Rooms (Nottingham)Buy Tickets