Pixie Lott, N-Dubz,Tinchy Stryder and Chipmunk to feature in August 2009 War Child single
Yesterday, a bunch of guys calling themselves "Young Soul Rebels" headed into Metropolis studios in London to record a new single for award-winning charity War Child.
Featuring Pixie Lott, N-Dubz, Tinchy Stryder , Frankmusik, V.V. Brown, Kid British, Chipmunk, Mpho, McLean, Ironik, Domino Go, Bashy and Egypt, it's fair to say that "Young Soul Rebels" are a pretty awesome bunch. The song 'I Got Soul' is based around the lyric 'I got soul, but I'm not a soldier' from the Killers' anthemic 2005 single 'All These Things That I've Done'. The lyric was recently parodied by Bill Bailey in his Tinselworm live tour, where he modified the lyric to be 'I got ham, but I'm not a hamster'. The guys chose not to use that version though, sticking instead with the original, otherwise the message would have been lost... And that message is one that is designed to raise awareness on the plight of ex-child soldiers all over the world and the vital work carried-out by War Child.
The project was born after at the close of the Brits 2009 awards ceremony, where Coldplay, U2 and Take That joined The Killers to sing 'All These Things That I've Done'. The next day Bono commented:
That chant, 'I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier', has a whole new meaning when there is a War Child banner behind your head...
The single will be produced by Fraser T Smith (who has already produced hit songs for Tinchy Stryer and James Morrison this year) and will released in August.
War Child is an international children's charity working in some of the world's most dangerous war zones including Iraq, Afghanistan, the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda. It has an already impressive and proud history of brilliant projects in music, and just next week sees the latest instalment of it's 'Army of You' concerts at the Tabernacle in Notting Hill, featuring Filthy Dukes, Jeremy Warmsley, We Have Band, Crystal Fighters, The Phenomenal Handclap Band, Alan Pownall, firas, Stopmakingme and Leo Greenslade. Tickets cost just £8 + booking, with proceeds going to War Child.
Speaking about War Child, long-time ambassador Paul McCartney comments:
Imagine an army - if you can call it that - made up mostly of kids aged 13 or even younger. They face atrocities so bad that you can just about comprehend them but your brain cannot cope with them emotionally. This is happening all over the world right now. War Child help rescue children from fighting in these brutal wars. Rescuing a lot of these kids and reuniting them with their parents. Basically, they try to give these kids a chance of having a childhood like you and I are familiar with.
You may also be interested in
- Sun 24th Feb 2019 and Sun 3rd Mar 2019 Rising in Support of War ChildBuy Tickets
- Thu 28th Feb 2019 Comic Relief Spectacular: Comic Relief, Alan Carr, Catherine Tate, Jimmy Carr, John Bi...Wembley SSE Arena (Wembley)Buy Tickets
- Fri 1st Mar 2019 Graham Mackie, Fundraising EventThe Flying Duck (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Fri 1st Mar 2019 Field Music and Friends: Field Music, Cancer Research UKSteels Social Club (Sunderland)Buy Tickets
- Thu 7th Mar 2019 Simon SaysJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sun 17th Mar 2019 Paddy's Night in Support of Comic Relief, Tommy Tiernan, Pat...3arena (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Wed 20th Mar 2019 and Thu 21st Mar 2019 Voice in a MillionBuy Tickets
- Thu 21st Mar 2019 Stand Up For Shelter, Jon Richardson, John Bishop, James Aca...O2 Shepherds Bush Empire (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Sun 24th Mar 2019 The Great Escape: Dan Snow, Fundraising EventEventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Mon 25th Mar 2019 Teenage Cancer Trust, Rudimental, GhettsRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Tue 26th Mar 2019 Teenage Cancer Trust, Kevin Bridges, John Bishop, Kerry Godl...Royal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Wed 27th Mar 2019 Teenage Cancer Trust, Tom GrennanRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Thu 28th Mar 2019 Teenage Cancer Trust, Take ThatRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 29th Mar 2019 Teenage Cancer Trust, Doves, The Coral, The FernwehRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 30th Mar 2019 and Sat 13th Jul 2019 Dementia Aware FestBuy Tickets
- Sat 30th Mar 2019 Teenage Cancer Trust, The ScriptRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Sun 31st Mar 2019 Teenage Cancer Trust, Levellers, Dreadzone, Wildwood Kin, Do...: A Beautiful Night OutRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Wed 3rd Apr 2019 Laugh Till It Hurts, Tony Law, Matt Forde, Arthur Smith, Pau...Bloomsbury Theatre (Bloomsbury)Buy Tickets
- Sat 6th Apr 2019 Aled Jones, Fundraising EventRoyal Hippodrome Theatre (Eastbourne)Buy Tickets
- Sun 28th Apr 2019 Comedy 4 ChristiesThe Lowry (Salford)Buy Tickets
- Fri 3rd May 2019 to Sun 5th May 2019 Teddy RocksBuy Tickets
- Fri 19th Jul 2019 and Sat 20th Jul 2019 ChagstockBuy Tickets
- Thu 17th Oct 2019 Rock For HeroesKing George's Hall (Blackburn)Buy Tickets