Pixie Lott, N-Dubz,Tinchy Stryder and Chipmunk to feature in August 2009 War Child single
Yesterday, a bunch of guys calling themselves "Young Soul Rebels" headed into Metropolis studios in London to record a new single for award-winning charity War Child.
Featuring Pixie Lott, N-Dubz, Tinchy Stryder , Frankmusik, V.V. Brown, Kid British, Chipmunk, Mpho, McLean, Ironik, Domino Go, Bashy and Egypt, it's fair to say that "Young Soul Rebels" are a pretty awesome bunch. The song 'I Got Soul' is based around the lyric 'I got soul, but I'm not a soldier' from the Killers' anthemic 2005 single 'All These Things That I've Done'. The lyric was recently parodied by Bill Bailey in his Tinselworm live tour, where he modified the lyric to be 'I got ham, but I'm not a hamster'. The guys chose not to use that version though, sticking instead with the original, otherwise the message would have been lost... And that message is one that is designed to raise awareness on the plight of ex-child soldiers all over the world and the vital work carried-out by War Child.
The project was born after at the close of the Brits 2009 awards ceremony, where Coldplay, U2 and Take That joined The Killers to sing 'All These Things That I've Done'. The next day Bono commented:
That chant, 'I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier', has a whole new meaning when there is a War Child banner behind your head...
The single will be produced by Fraser T Smith (who has already produced hit songs for Tinchy Stryer and James Morrison this year) and will released in August.
War Child is an international children's charity working in some of the world's most dangerous war zones including Iraq, Afghanistan, the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda. It has an already impressive and proud history of brilliant projects in music, and just next week sees the latest instalment of it's 'Army of You' concerts at the Tabernacle in Notting Hill, featuring Filthy Dukes, Jeremy Warmsley, We Have Band, Crystal Fighters, The Phenomenal Handclap Band, Alan Pownall, firas, Stopmakingme and Leo Greenslade. Tickets cost just £8 + booking, with proceeds going to War Child.
Speaking about War Child, long-time ambassador Paul McCartney comments:
Imagine an army - if you can call it that - made up mostly of kids aged 13 or even younger. They face atrocities so bad that you can just about comprehend them but your brain cannot cope with them emotionally. This is happening all over the world right now. War Child help rescue children from fighting in these brutal wars. Rescuing a lot of these kids and reuniting them with their parents. Basically, they try to give these kids a chance of having a childhood like you and I are familiar with.
You may also be interested in
- Sat 21st Sep 2019 and Thu 17th Oct 2019 Rock For HeroesBuy Tickets
- Sun 22nd Sep 2019 to Sun 17th Nov 2019 Rising in Support of War ChildBuy Tickets
- Tue 24th Sep 2019 Martin Carthy, Wizz Jones, Fundraising Event: MNDA FundraiserThe Crescent Community Centre (York)Buy Tickets
- Wed 25th Sep 2019 Jessie Buckley, Fundraising EventVicar Street (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Wed 25th Sep 2019 Nordoff Robbins Get Loud, Frank TurnerWedgewood Rooms/ Edge of the Wedge (Southsea)More Info..
- Wed 25th Sep 2019 Nordoff Robbins Get Loud, Scouting for GirlsTrinity Bar (Harrow)Buy Tickets
- Wed 25th Sep 2019 Nordoff Robbins Get Loud, SigalaThe Arts Club (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Wed 25th Sep 2019 Nordoff Robbins Get Loud, LouiseOmeara (Southwark)Buy Tickets
- Sat 12th Oct 2019 Levellers, Dodgy, Mind [charity]London Palladium (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Tue 22nd Oct 2019 Laugh Till It Hurts, Macmillan Cancer SupportBloomsbury Theatre (Bloomsbury)Buy Tickets
- Mon 28th Oct 2019 and Tue 29th Oct 2019 Funeral for a Friend, Fundraising Event: Stuart Brothers family fund-raiserMore Info..
- Mon 4th Nov 2019 Barnardo'sRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 8th Nov 2019 Young Minds [charity]Bush Hall (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Nov 2019 Macmillan Fest: Macmillan Cancer Support, Evil ScarecrowThe Fleece (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th Nov 2019 Mosh For Fuck Cancer: Falling Red, Fundraising EventThe Brickyard (Carlisle)Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th Nov 2019 Cancer Research UK, Macmillan Cancer Support: featuring No Remorse, Riffler and Junkyard FourMarehay Miners Welfare - Ripley (Derbyshire)More Info..
- Fri 6th Dec 2019 Brian and Robin’s Christmas Compendium, Professor Bria...Eventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Thu 12th Dec 2019 The Prince's TrustSt Marylebone Parish Church (Marylebone)On SaleThu 26th Sepat 9am
- Fri 10th Jan 2020 Steve Knightley, Grace Petrie, Fundraising EventThe Lion Hotel (Shrewsbury)Buy Tickets
- Sat 18th Jan 2020 to Sat 1st Aug 2020 Dementia Aware FestBuy Tickets
- Sun 26th Jan 2020 Beat the StreetsVarious Nottingham Venues (Nottingham)Buy Tickets
- Sun 23rd Feb 2020 Sunday For SammyUtilita Arena (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Fri 24th Jul 2020 to Sat 25th Jul 2020 ChagstockBuy Tickets