Thunder to play farewell gig at Sonisphere 2009
Posted: 7th July 2009
As well as securing UK debuts for some of the rock scene's most exciting new acts, as well as a host of exclusive performances, Sonisphere can confirm a special performance at the other end of the spectrum. Homegrown British hard rockers Thunder will be taking the Sonisphere stage at Bohemia for what they have confirmed will be their last ever performance. It seems only fitting that they have selected a venue with one of the richest histories in rock for their last strike. Marking the end of a 20 year career, Luke Morley and co will be ending on a high, delighting the rockers of Knebworth with classics such as "Backstreet Symphony", "Love Walked In" and "Gimme Some Lovin".
Vocalist Danny Bowes states:
Our final 6 months have been incredible, with sell out shows and brilliant festival appearances all over. It's somehow quite fitting that we'll play our last show in the UK, and having gone there as kids to see the Stones and Led Zeppelin, to do it at Knebworth will be a real thrill. Bring it on....
Also on Bohemia, Mancunian art-rockers Oceansize will be ploughing their wares. Diverse and rich in sound and atmosphere, this five piece have been labelled prog-rock, indie-rock, heavy metal and space rock - all are fitting but none are sufficient, and their set in Bohemia's more intimate surroundings promises to be a memorable one. The band checked in to tell us:
Cant wait to play Knebworth, we are planning on digging out all the riffy numbers to ensure we don't get showered in piss. We are gonna make a full weekend of it, bringing down a caravan and 100 million cans of lager plus we effectively get paid to see Rolo Tomassi, NIN, Mastodon and Fucked Up.
- Apollo Stage
- Linkin Park, Heaven & Hell, Coheed and Cambria, Fear Factory, Taking Back Sunday, special guests
- Saturn Stage
- Bullet For My Valentine, Airbourne, The Used, Anthrax, Skindred, special guests
- Apollo Stage
- Metallica, Nine Inch Nails, Limp Bizkit, Machine Head, Lamb Of God, Mastodon, Killing Joke
- Saturn Stage
- Avenged Sevenfold, Alice In Chains, Feeder, Thin Lizzy, The Sword, special guests
Other acts playing on the Saturday or Sunday include: Architects, The Ataris (only UK show for 2009), Attack! Attack!,, Blakfish, Blackhole, Cancer Bats, Corey Taylor - acoustic set (UK debut), The Crave, The Dead Formats, Dear Superstar, The Defiled, Dirty Little Rabbits (UK Debut!), Exit 10, Fact (UK Debut), Failsafe, Feeder, Fighting With Wire, Fin, Flood of Red, Fucked Up, Glamour of the Kill, Heaven and Hell , Heaven's Basement, Hundred Reasons, Lauren Harris, Machine Head , Me Vs Hero, Oceansize, Pepper, Rise To Remain, Rolo Tomassi, Sylosis, Telegraphs, Twin Atlantic, The Wildhearts, Young Guns and Zebrahead.
Tickets cost £67.50 for day tickets or £157.50 (+ booking) for weekend tickets including camping - available below.
- Fri 20th Dec 2019 Thunder : Christmas Special O2 Academy Birmingham (Birmingham) Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Dec 2019 Thunder : Christmas Special Manchester Academy (Manchester) Buy Tickets
- Thu 19th Nov 2020 Thunder Motorpoint Arena (Cardiff) Buy Tickets
- Fri 20th Nov 2020 Thunder Resorts World Arena/ NEC Arena (Birmingham) Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Nov 2020 Thunder Wembley SSE Arena (Wembley) Buy Tickets
- Fri 27th Nov 2020 Thunder The Armadillo (Glasgow) Buy Tickets
- Sat 28th Nov 2020 Thunder First Direct Arena (Leeds) Buy Tickets