Youssou N'Dour and The Skatalites complete the music line-up for WOMAD UK 2009
Just when you thought it couldn't get any better, it has: Senegalese superstar Youssou N'Dour and his band Super Etoile de Dakar will descend on WOMAD on Sunday, intent on wowing the festival with their infectious urban mbalax rhythms and irresistible Afro-pop dance grooves. A statesman and social commentator, N'Dour is one of the most celebrated African musicians in history. The Super Etoile are probably the most popular African band in the world. Together they are simply incredible.
Early birds, take note: Jamaican demigods and ska pioneers The Skatalites will have all in a dancing mood on Thursday when they headline an evening of compelling acts. Founded in the 1960s by session musicians who'd played for the likes of Bob Marley and Peter Tosh, The Skatalites have gone on to win Grammies and global notoriety. Their skanking live performances are still rated as among the best that ska, reggae and rocksteady music have to offer.
There'll be Music from the Penguin Café on Thursday, too; founded by Arthur Jeffes, son of the late Penguin Café Orchestra founder Simon Jeffes, this acclaimed nine-piece provide a fresh take on the original ensemble's sound. Influenced by folk, bluegrass, avante garde classical music and pop, the PCO still managed to seem quintessentially English; the prodigiously talented Music from the Penguin Café move the sound forward with zest, flair and some new compositions.
Opening WOMAD Charlton Park on the Open Air stage is a collaborative project featuring dynamic UK/Colombian outfit Colores de Mi Tierra, the UK's acclaimed Shlomo and the Beatbox Choir, six local Malmesbury primary schools and Malmesbury Secondary School. A family group, Colores seek to develop the rhythms, dances and melodies of Colombia's Caribbean coast. Shlomo pushes the boundaries of beatboxing as an art form. The creative result of workshops and rehearsals held throughout June and July, this will be a performance to treasure.
WOMAD is so much more than just a first class world music festival and returning this year will be the popular 'Taste the World' tent where artists show off their cooking prowess and, more often than not, it turns into a impromptu gig. The Drum and Dance Tent makes a welcome return: think everything from early-bird yoga sessions and salsa lessons to night owl happenings. And for those who fancy a luxurious moment to themselves the WOMAD spa - complete with cocktail bar - is the place to go.
WOMAD promises to be bigger and better for kids and young people than ever before. The World of Kids will have the usual comprehensive programme of workshops, entertainment and activities; the magnificent Children's Parade is always a festival highlight. WOMAD continues its well-established place as the best festival for the whole family: all children aged 13 and under get in for free.
The WOMAD Festival experience is not about the familiar, the tried and tested; its essence is in the discovery and enjoyment of a totally unexpected artist or a style of music which would never otherwise have been encountered. It's a magical, musical melting pot, enriching all who experience it.
This years WOMAD festival, the 27th annual event in the UK, has a wonderful eclectic mix of artists from all over the world ranging from the familiar to the unusual, with many artists performing in the UK for the first time. Artists include: Che Sudaka (Spain), cirKus (Sweden), Orishas (Cuba), Roy Ayres (USA), Peter Gabriel (UK), Dub Colossus (UK/Ethiopia); Enkh Jargal (Mongolia), Ethiopiques (Ethiopia), Hindi Zahra (France), Mad Professor, Dub Show (UK), Mariem Hassan (Western Sahara), Nneka (Nigeria), Oumou Sangare (Mali), Portico Quartet (UK), Rokia Traoré (Mali), RSD featuring Joe Peng (UK), Solomon Burke (USA), Spiro (UK), Victor Démé (Burkina Faso), Hindi Zahra (France/Morocco) and Wang Li (China).
WOMAD returns this summer to Charlton Park in Malmesbury, Wiltshire, from 24 to 26 July 2009. Tickets are on sale now, costing £122 for an adult weekend ticket, £59 for teenagers for the weekend, £60 for a day ticket and free entry for 13-and-unders!
- Fri 26th Oct 2018 The SkatalitesNells Jazz and Blues (Kensington and Chelsea)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Tue 25th Sep 2018 Chuck Prophet, Jesse MalinKomedia (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Tue 25th Sep 2018 Afla SackeyJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Wed 26th Sep 2018 Nordoff Robbins Get Loud, Enter ShikariConcorde 2 (Brighton)More Info..
- Wed 26th Sep 2018 Nordoff Robbins Get Loud, The SkintsBirthday's (Dalston)Buy Tickets
- Thu 27th Sep 2018 to Fri 2nd Nov 2018 ElvanaBuy Tickets
- Fri 28th Sep 2018 DJ Zinc, David Rodigan, DJ Friction, DJ Redlight, TC, The He...Motion/ The Marble Factory (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th Sep 2018 to Fri 5th Oct 2018 Eek A MouseBuy Tickets
- Fri 28th Sep 2018 Owiny Sigoma BandJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th Sep 2018 and Sat 10th Nov 2018 The Springsteen SessionsBuy Tickets
- Sat 29th Sep 2018 Cardiff Mod and Ska Festival, 2 RudeTramshed (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Sep 2018 to Tue 30th Oct 2018 Paul Young: 35 Years of No ParlezBuy Tickets
- Sat 29th Sep 2018 Jaguar SkillsSWX (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Sep 2018 Thea Gilmore, Seafret, The Eskies, CoCo and the Butterfields...Pocklington Civic Arts Centre (Yorkshire)Buy Tickets
- Sun 30th Sep 2018 to Sat 27th Oct 2018 Sleaford ModsBuy Tickets
- Mon 1st Oct 2018 to Thu 11th Oct 2018 Steve HackettBuy Tickets
- Wed 3rd Oct 2018 to Fri 12th Oct 2018 The She Street BandBuy Tickets
- Wed 3rd Oct 2018 Eek A Mouse, Jeramiah FerrariLiVe (Preston)Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Oct 2018 AswadUnder the Bridge (Fulham)Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Oct 2018 and Sat 6th Oct 2018 Message in a Bottle - A Tribute to Sting and The PoliceBuy Tickets
- Fri 5th Oct 2018 The Boss UKPavilion Theatre (Exmouth)Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Oct 2018 The Warehouse Project, Andy C, Noisia, Danny Byrd, GoldieWHP Store Street (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 6th Oct 2018 New Town Kings, Imperial LeisureO2 Academy Islington (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 6th Oct 2018 and Thu 11th Oct 2018 CoCo and the ButterfieldsBuy Tickets
- Sat 6th Oct 2018 Eek A Mouse, Aba Shanti-IFiddlers (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Sat 6th Oct 2018 Plump DJs, Krafty Kuts, Deekline, Featurecast, Freestylers, ...Jamm (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Sun 7th Oct 2018 to Wed 10th Oct 2018 Burna BoyBuy Tickets
- Mon 8th Oct 2018 to Sat 13th Oct 2018 MorcheebaBuy Tickets
- Tue 9th Oct 2018 Penguin CafeEartH [Hackney Arts Centre] (Stoke Newington)Buy Tickets
- Wed 10th Oct 2018 to Sun 28th Oct 2018 Macka BBuy Tickets
- Wed 10th Oct 2018 to Thu 18th Oct 2018 Maribou StateBuy Tickets
- Wed 10th Oct 2018 to Sat 27th Oct 2018 Toots and the MaytalsBuy Tickets
- Wed 10th Oct 2018 Harry Connick Jr: A New Orleans Tricentennial CelebrationLondon Palladium (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Thu 11th Oct 2018 and Fri 12th Oct 2018 Portico QuartetBuy Tickets
- Fri 12th Oct 2018 to Fri 9th Nov 2018 Gentleman's Dub ClubBuy Tickets
- Fri 12th Oct 2018 to Sat 10th Nov 2018 Baka BeyondBuy Tickets
- Fri 12th Oct 2018 LocomondoO2 Academy Islington (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 13th Oct 2018 Gentleman's Dub Club, Chainska BrassikaPlymouth University (Plymouth)Buy Tickets
- Sat 13th Oct 2018 Turbulence Festival, Bleed from Within, Heart of a Coward, H...Various Plymouth Venues (Plymouth)Buy Tickets
- Sat 13th Oct 2018 and Sat 20th Oct 2018 Children of ZeusBuy Tickets
- Sat 13th Oct 2018 Glory Days - The Springsteen TributeHenighans Bar Grill and Venue (Bolton)Buy Tickets
- Mon 15th Oct 2018 to Thu 18th Oct 2018 BalojiBuy Tickets
- Mon 15th Oct 2018 Bukky Leo and Black EgyptJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Tue 16th Oct 2018 to Mon 29th Oct 2018 IdlesBuy Tickets
- Tue 16th Oct 2018 and Wed 17th Oct 2018 MokoombaBuy Tickets
- Wed 17th Oct 2018 to Fri 9th Nov 2018 Jane Weaver: Loops in the Secret SocietyBuy Tickets
- Thu 18th Oct 2018 Abdullah IbrahimWarwick Arts Centre (Coventry)Buy Tickets
- Fri 19th Oct 2018 to Sun 4th Nov 2018 Soul II Soul: 30th AnniversaryBuy Tickets
- Fri 19th Oct 2018 Ata Kak24 Kitchen Street (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Oct 2018 to Fri 23rd Nov 2018 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues OrchestraBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Oct 2018 Billy BraggO2 Ritz (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Oct 2018 Ghostpoet, Jane Weaver, Nadine Shah, Suuns, The Lovely Eggs,...Various Oxford Venues (Oxford)Buy Tickets