Youssou N'Dour and The Skatalites complete the music line-up for WOMAD UK 2009
Just when you thought it couldn't get any better, it has: Senegalese superstar Youssou N'Dour and his band Super Etoile de Dakar will descend on WOMAD on Sunday, intent on wowing the festival with their infectious urban mbalax rhythms and irresistible Afro-pop dance grooves. A statesman and social commentator, N'Dour is one of the most celebrated African musicians in history. The Super Etoile are probably the most popular African band in the world. Together they are simply incredible.
Early birds, take note: Jamaican demigods and ska pioneers The Skatalites will have all in a dancing mood on Thursday when they headline an evening of compelling acts. Founded in the 1960s by session musicians who'd played for the likes of Bob Marley and Peter Tosh, The Skatalites have gone on to win Grammies and global notoriety. Their skanking live performances are still rated as among the best that ska, reggae and rocksteady music have to offer.
There'll be Music from the Penguin Café on Thursday, too; founded by Arthur Jeffes, son of the late Penguin Café Orchestra founder Simon Jeffes, this acclaimed nine-piece provide a fresh take on the original ensemble's sound. Influenced by folk, bluegrass, avante garde classical music and pop, the PCO still managed to seem quintessentially English; the prodigiously talented Music from the Penguin Café move the sound forward with zest, flair and some new compositions.
Opening WOMAD Charlton Park on the Open Air stage is a collaborative project featuring dynamic UK/Colombian outfit Colores de Mi Tierra, the UK's acclaimed Shlomo and the Beatbox Choir, six local Malmesbury primary schools and Malmesbury Secondary School. A family group, Colores seek to develop the rhythms, dances and melodies of Colombia's Caribbean coast. Shlomo pushes the boundaries of beatboxing as an art form. The creative result of workshops and rehearsals held throughout June and July, this will be a performance to treasure.
WOMAD is so much more than just a first class world music festival and returning this year will be the popular 'Taste the World' tent where artists show off their cooking prowess and, more often than not, it turns into a impromptu gig. The Drum and Dance Tent makes a welcome return: think everything from early-bird yoga sessions and salsa lessons to night owl happenings. And for those who fancy a luxurious moment to themselves the WOMAD spa - complete with cocktail bar - is the place to go.
WOMAD promises to be bigger and better for kids and young people than ever before. The World of Kids will have the usual comprehensive programme of workshops, entertainment and activities; the magnificent Children's Parade is always a festival highlight. WOMAD continues its well-established place as the best festival for the whole family: all children aged 13 and under get in for free.
The WOMAD Festival experience is not about the familiar, the tried and tested; its essence is in the discovery and enjoyment of a totally unexpected artist or a style of music which would never otherwise have been encountered. It's a magical, musical melting pot, enriching all who experience it.
This years WOMAD festival, the 27th annual event in the UK, has a wonderful eclectic mix of artists from all over the world ranging from the familiar to the unusual, with many artists performing in the UK for the first time. Artists include: Che Sudaka (Spain), cirKus (Sweden), Orishas (Cuba), Roy Ayres (USA), Peter Gabriel (UK), Dub Colossus (UK/Ethiopia); Enkh Jargal (Mongolia), Ethiopiques (Ethiopia), Hindi Zahra (France), Mad Professor, Dub Show (UK), Mariem Hassan (Western Sahara), Nneka (Nigeria), Oumou Sangare (Mali), Portico Quartet (UK), Rokia Traoré (Mali), RSD featuring Joe Peng (UK), Solomon Burke (USA), Spiro (UK), Victor Démé (Burkina Faso), Hindi Zahra (France/Morocco) and Wang Li (China).
WOMAD returns this summer to Charlton Park in Malmesbury, Wiltshire, from 24 to 26 July 2009. Tickets are on sale now, costing £122 for an adult weekend ticket, £59 for teenagers for the weekend, £60 for a day ticket and free entry for 13-and-unders!
- Thu 25th Jul 2019 WOMAD FestivalCharlton Park (Wiltshire)More Info..
- Fri 26th Jul 2019 WOMAD FestivalCharlton Park (Wiltshire)More Info..
- Sat 27th Jul 2019 WOMAD FestivalCharlton Park (Wiltshire)More Info..
- Sun 28th Jul 2019 WOMAD FestivalCharlton Park (Wiltshire)More Info..
You may also be interested in
- Mon 10th Dec 2018 to Sat 22nd Dec 2018 Madness, The Fratellis: The Sound of MadnessBuy Tickets
- Mon 10th Dec 2018 to Wed 12th Dec 2018 Courtney Pine, Omar: Black Notes from the DeepBuy Tickets
- Mon 10th Dec 2018 to Wed 12th Dec 2018 MabelBuy Tickets
- Tue 11th Dec 2018 Boubacar TraoréNells Jazz and Blues (Kensington and Chelsea)Buy Tickets
- Wed 12th Dec 2018 and Fri 14th Dec 2018 Reel Big FishBuy Tickets
- Thu 13th Dec 2018 The Pretty Things, David Gilmour, Van Morrison: Final BowIndigo at the O2 (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Fri 14th Dec 2018 to Sat 22nd Dec 2018 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Marc Almond...Buy Tickets
- Fri 14th Dec 2018 Bad Manners, Ska FaceLiVe (Preston)Buy Tickets
- Fri 14th Dec 2018 and Sat 6th Apr 2019 Glory Days - The Springsteen TributeBuy Tickets
- Sat 15th Dec 2018 to Sun 19th May 2019 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues OrchestraBuy Tickets
- Tue 18th Dec 2018 Laurence Cottle: 50 Years of Tower of PowerJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Thu 20th Dec 2018 Streets of London, Ellie Goulding, Dua Lipa, Bastille, Mabel...Wembley SSE Arena (Wembley)Buy Tickets
- Fri 21st Dec 2018 Madness: The Sound of MadnessMotorpoint Arena (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Dec 2018 and Fri 10th May 2019 Ska FaceBuy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Dec 2018 and Sat 2nd Mar 2019 Roddy Radiation & The Skabilly RebelsBuy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Dec 2018 to Sat 4th May 2019 Richard AshcroftBuy Tickets
- Sat 29th Dec 2018 MundyWhelan's (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Sun 30th Dec 2018 Fela KutiJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Mon 31st Dec 2018 Madness, New Year's Eve PartyMethodist Central Hall/ Great Hall (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 11th Jan 2019 and Sat 2nd Mar 2019 AswadBuy Tickets
- Tue 15th Jan 2019 OsibisaJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Thu 17th Jan 2019 Delilah MontaguChurch of St Stephen and St Thomas (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Sat 19th Jan 2019 Afriquoi: DJ SetXOYO (Shoreditch)Buy Tickets
- Sun 20th Jan 2019 ScientistJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Wed 23rd Jan 2019 and Sun 27th Jan 2019 Songhoy BluesBuy Tickets
- Thu 24th Jan 2019 to Fri 1st Feb 2019 Random HandBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th Jan 2019 and Fri 22nd Feb 2019 Afrobeat Vibration: Dele SosimiBuy Tickets
- Sat 26th Jan 2019 and Fri 1st Feb 2019 The WakesBuy Tickets
- Sun 27th Jan 2019 DavidoThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th Jan 2019 and Wed 30th Jan 2019 Bassekou KouyateBuy Tickets
- Tue 29th Jan 2019 Celtic Connections, Gretchen PetersThe King's Theatre (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Wed 30th Jan 2019 Martin Hayes, Iarla O'LionairdBarbican (City of London)Buy Tickets
- Wed 30th Jan 2019 Tears for FearsINEC - Gleneagle Hotel Killarney (Kerry)Buy Tickets
- Thu 31st Jan 2019 to Wed 13th Feb 2019 Tears for Fears, Alison Moyet: Rule the World TourBuy Tickets
- Thu 31st Jan 2019 to Tue 5th Feb 2019 Charlie WinstonBuy Tickets
- Fri 1st Feb 2019 John MetcalfeGullivers Bar (Northern Quarter)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Feb 2019 and Sun 17th Mar 2019 Macka BBuy Tickets
- Thu 7th Feb 2019 and Sun 24th Feb 2019 Twinkle BrothersBuy Tickets
- Sat 9th Feb 2019 Rudi's MessageThe Brook (Southampton)Buy Tickets
- Tue 12th Feb 2019 to Sun 17th Feb 2019 Neneh CherryBuy Tickets
- Thu 14th Feb 2019 Thomas DybdahlUnion Chapel (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th Feb 2019 Black CoffeeO2 Academy Brixton (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Wed 20th Feb 2019 Mellow MoodJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Mon 25th Feb 2019 to Wed 6th Mar 2019 Bryan Adams: Shine a LightBuy Tickets
- Tue 5th Mar 2019 to Sat 16th Mar 2019 Ibibio Sound MachineBuy Tickets
- Tue 5th Mar 2019 to Thu 7th Mar 2019 Courtney PineBuy Tickets
- Fri 8th Mar 2019 to Sat 23rd Mar 2019 The WailersBuy Tickets
- Fri 8th Mar 2019 to Sat 30th Mar 2019 Gentleman's Dub ClubBuy Tickets
- Sun 10th Mar 2019 Findlay Napier, Megan HenwoodThe Glad Cafe (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Thu 14th Mar 2019 to Tue 2nd Apr 2019 Lee Scratch PerryBuy Tickets
- Sat 16th Mar 2019 Neville Staple, Esperanza, BombskareTroon Concert Hall (Irvine)Buy Tickets