Youssou N'Dour and The Skatalites complete the music line-up for WOMAD UK 2009
Just when you thought it couldn't get any better, it has: Senegalese superstar Youssou N'Dour and his band Super Etoile de Dakar will descend on WOMAD on Sunday, intent on wowing the festival with their infectious urban mbalax rhythms and irresistible Afro-pop dance grooves. A statesman and social commentator, N'Dour is one of the most celebrated African musicians in history. The Super Etoile are probably the most popular African band in the world. Together they are simply incredible.
Early birds, take note: Jamaican demigods and ska pioneers The Skatalites will have all in a dancing mood on Thursday when they headline an evening of compelling acts. Founded in the 1960s by session musicians who'd played for the likes of Bob Marley and Peter Tosh, The Skatalites have gone on to win Grammies and global notoriety. Their skanking live performances are still rated as among the best that ska, reggae and rocksteady music have to offer.
There'll be Music from the Penguin Café on Thursday, too; founded by Arthur Jeffes, son of the late Penguin Café Orchestra founder Simon Jeffes, this acclaimed nine-piece provide a fresh take on the original ensemble's sound. Influenced by folk, bluegrass, avante garde classical music and pop, the PCO still managed to seem quintessentially English; the prodigiously talented Music from the Penguin Café move the sound forward with zest, flair and some new compositions.
Opening WOMAD Charlton Park on the Open Air stage is a collaborative project featuring dynamic UK/Colombian outfit Colores de Mi Tierra, the UK's acclaimed Shlomo and the Beatbox Choir, six local Malmesbury primary schools and Malmesbury Secondary School. A family group, Colores seek to develop the rhythms, dances and melodies of Colombia's Caribbean coast. Shlomo pushes the boundaries of beatboxing as an art form. The creative result of workshops and rehearsals held throughout June and July, this will be a performance to treasure.
WOMAD is so much more than just a first class world music festival and returning this year will be the popular 'Taste the World' tent where artists show off their cooking prowess and, more often than not, it turns into a impromptu gig. The Drum and Dance Tent makes a welcome return: think everything from early-bird yoga sessions and salsa lessons to night owl happenings. And for those who fancy a luxurious moment to themselves the WOMAD spa - complete with cocktail bar - is the place to go.
WOMAD promises to be bigger and better for kids and young people than ever before. The World of Kids will have the usual comprehensive programme of workshops, entertainment and activities; the magnificent Children's Parade is always a festival highlight. WOMAD continues its well-established place as the best festival for the whole family: all children aged 13 and under get in for free.
The WOMAD Festival experience is not about the familiar, the tried and tested; its essence is in the discovery and enjoyment of a totally unexpected artist or a style of music which would never otherwise have been encountered. It's a magical, musical melting pot, enriching all who experience it.
This years WOMAD festival, the 27th annual event in the UK, has a wonderful eclectic mix of artists from all over the world ranging from the familiar to the unusual, with many artists performing in the UK for the first time. Artists include: Che Sudaka (Spain), cirKus (Sweden), Orishas (Cuba), Roy Ayres (USA), Peter Gabriel (UK), Dub Colossus (UK/Ethiopia); Enkh Jargal (Mongolia), Ethiopiques (Ethiopia), Hindi Zahra (France), Mad Professor, Dub Show (UK), Mariem Hassan (Western Sahara), Nneka (Nigeria), Oumou Sangare (Mali), Portico Quartet (UK), Rokia Traoré (Mali), RSD featuring Joe Peng (UK), Solomon Burke (USA), Spiro (UK), Victor Démé (Burkina Faso), Hindi Zahra (France/Morocco) and Wang Li (China).
WOMAD returns this summer to Charlton Park in Malmesbury, Wiltshire, from 24 to 26 July 2009. Tickets are on sale now, costing £122 for an adult weekend ticket, £59 for teenagers for the weekend, £60 for a day ticket and free entry for 13-and-unders!
- Fri 25th Oct 2019 The SkatalitesFiddlers (Bristol)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Fri 20th Sep 2019 to Sat 28th Sep 2019 Fireball - Fuelling The Fire, Less Than Jake, Goldfinger, Th...Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Sep 2019 Tokyo World Festival, De La Soul, Gorgon City, Ghetts, Leftf...Eastville Park (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Sep 2019 and Mon 23rd Sep 2019 Fireball - Fuelling The Fire, Less Than Jake, Goldfinger, Sa...Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Sep 2019 The Martinez Brothers, Luciano [reggae]Tobacco Dock - Wapping (Tower Hamlets)Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Sep 2019 and Sat 28th Sep 2019 Black CoffeeBuy Tickets
- Sun 22nd Sep 2019 Tokyo World Festival, Craig David, D-Block Europe, Kurupt FM...Eastville Park (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Sun 22nd Sep 2019 True North Festival, Ibibio Sound MachineThe Lemon Tree (Aberdeen)Buy Tickets
- Tue 24th Sep 2019 Fireball - Fuelling The Fire, Less Than JakeO2 Academy Newcastle (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Tue 24th Sep 2019 and Sat 19th Oct 2019 Dennis RollinsBuy Tickets
- Fri 27th Sep 2019 Orchestra BaobabRoundhouse (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Fri 27th Sep 2019 Jeramiah Ferrari, Captain AccidentThe Hairy Dog (Derby)Buy Tickets
- Sat 28th Sep 2019 to Fri 18th Oct 2019 Ibibio Sound MachineBuy Tickets
- Sat 28th Sep 2019 to Sun 6th Oct 2019 Penguin CafeBuy Tickets
- Sat 28th Sep 2019 Captain AccidentThe New Adelphi Club (Hull)Buy Tickets
- Sun 29th Sep 2019 Falmouth Reggae Festival, Misty in RootsFalmouth Cricket Ground (Falmouth)Buy Tickets
- Wed 2nd Oct 2019 to Fri 4th Oct 2019 Courtney PineBuy Tickets
- Thu 3rd Oct 2019 to Thu 10th Oct 2019 The SlackersBuy Tickets
- Fri 4th Oct 2019 Neville Staple, Roddy Radiation & The Skabilly Rebels: 40th Anniversary of 2 ToneThe Cambridge Junction (Cambridge)Buy Tickets
- Fri 4th Oct 2019 Blick BassyJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Fri 4th Oct 2019 Yaaba Funk, Dele SosimiLeytonstone Ballroom (Leytonstone)Buy Tickets
- Fri 4th Oct 2019 EmpiricalWakefield Sports Club (Wakefield)Buy Tickets
- Fri 4th Oct 2019 Etienne MbappeRonnie Scotts (Soho)Buy Tickets
- Sat 5th Oct 2019 and Fri 11th Oct 2019 Kanda Bongo ManBuy Tickets
- Tue 8th Oct 2019 Richard Bona, Alfredo RodriguezUnion Chapel (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 11th Oct 2019 to Sat 19th Oct 2019 King PrawnBuy Tickets
- Sat 12th Oct 2019 AswadUnder the Bridge (Fulham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 12th Oct 2019 and Fri 22nd Nov 2019 The SimmertonesBuy Tickets
- Sat 12th Oct 2019 The Warehouse Project, Hacienda Classical, Soul II Soul, A C...: The Hacienda Must Be BuiltMayfield Depot (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 12th Oct 2019 Michael Weston KingKingsmead House (High Wycombe)Buy Tickets
- Sat 12th Oct 2019 OsibisaRonnie Scotts (Soho)Buy Tickets
- Sat 12th Oct 2019 Angie Brown, Baby D, Kelly Llorenna, Rozalla, Shades of Rhyt...Keele University / KUSU (Staffordshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 12th Oct 2019 The Piranhas Four, John Peel Day/ NightThe Green Door Store (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Sun 13th Oct 2019 to Fri 18th Oct 2019 John MayerBuy Tickets
- Mon 14th Oct 2019 to Sun 3rd Nov 2019 Graceland - Live, Josh Turner GuitarBuy Tickets
- Wed 16th Oct 2019 Jah9, Resonators: and the Dub TreatmentKomedia (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th Oct 2019 Catrin Finch, Seckou KeitaCaroline Street Social Club/ Live Room (Shipley)Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th Oct 2019 and Sat 19th Oct 2019 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues OrchestraBuy Tickets
- Fri 18th Oct 2019 and Sat 19th Oct 2019 WizkidBuy Tickets
- Sat 19th Oct 2019 Roddy Radiation & The Skabilly RebelsOld Fire Station (Carlisle)Buy Tickets
- Sat 19th Oct 2019 Ritual Union, Teleman, The Comet is Coming, Ibibio Sound Mac...O2 Academy Oxford (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 19th Oct 2019 to Sun 8th Dec 2019 Gentleman's Dub ClubBuy Tickets
- Sat 19th Oct 2019 Holly Herndon, Ata Kak, Simple Things Festival [Day], Nil&uu...Various Bristol Venues (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Sat 19th Oct 2019 New Town KingsThe London Stone (Staines)Buy Tickets
- Sat 19th Oct 2019 and Sun 20th Oct 2019 Jah9: and the Dub TreatmentBuy Tickets
- Sun 20th Oct 2019 to Mon 4th Nov 2019 The UnthanksBuy Tickets
- Wed 23rd Oct 2019 Horace AndyBoisdale of Canary Wharf (Canary Wharf)Buy Tickets
- Thu 24th Oct 2019 to Sat 23rd Nov 2019 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Eddi ReaderBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th Oct 2019 Courtney Pine, Zoe RahmanRevelation - St Mary's Church (Ashford)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th Oct 2019 and Fri 8th Nov 2019 The HempolicsBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th Oct 2019 Bombskare, Halloween EventSummerhall (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th Oct 2019 TrickyConcorde 2 (Brighton)Buy Tickets