Trashcan Sinatras due to release new album 'In The Music' in Sept 09
In the five years since we last heard a full album from Trashcan Sinatras, things have been looking up. After more than two decades in the business the guys behind the 1990's GO! Discs albums Cake, I've Seen Everything, A Happy Pocket and 2004's Weightlifting have decided to throw caution to the wind and get happy. The result - new album 'In The Music' is released on Lo-Five Records on 14 September 2009.
"It's five years since Weightlifting came out, we toured it for two years, then we started coming back down to earth. Mostly we've been just writing and playing." says vocalist and rhythm guitarist John Douglas. The band has discovered that they're not for the treadmill approach, or being tied to a label and a deal that demands an album every two years.
Those songs - full of relaxed harmonies, typical Trashcans - were set to arrangements in a back room in the South Side of Glasgow over the summer of 2007, and recorded in New York over a crisp, cold winter in 2007 / 8. At the heart is a studio process that's new for the boys - of relying on instinct, and leaving the received structure of songwriting and recording behind. Joined by occasional bassist Grant Wilson, in Davy Hughes' "family duties" absence, two extra members were drafted in for the album - Stevie Mulhearn and Jody Stoddart, both old friends, and both pulled in for their musical magic. A trip to New York was probably enough to entice them!
"The idea to record in New York came up, and it was brilliant. We love that town. The first time we went there we played CBGBs and it was fantastic. That would have been around 1990, when we were just wee boys. We hadn't really toured in Scotland, just a few shows, and the record got played in the States so we went there.", says Douglas.
Someone must have been smiling on 'In the Music'. As an added, and somewhat unexpected sparkle, the band bagged 70s singer - songwriting legend Carly Simon to sing on 'Should I Pray'. "It was sheer chance. Producer Andy Chase's parents live up in Martha's Vineyard, and we went up there when we'd finished in New York just to record a few more tracks. Carly lives there, James Taylor has a place there too - it's a kind of musical hippy vibe. Andy mentioned that he knew her and I said, I love Carly Simon, for me she's just amazing, an incredible songwriter with such a beautiful, distinctive voice,an icon."
With Simon's powerful vocals already in the mix, another feminine element comes from Ali Smith - the poet whose words in Half an Apple had already been put to music for the band's contribution to Chemikal Underground's 2007 album, Ballads of the Book, a co-operation between Scottish writers and musicians. The pairing of poetry and the Trashcans' sympathetic arrangements was so successful that Douglas took another of the poet's pieces for In the Music; it became the eponymous title track.
"I guess with Carly, Ali and with an Eddi Reader co-write plus fellow writers' Paul Livingston and Frank Reader in long term relationships with new partners, there is a bit of a feminine addition to this record," he smiles. Guitarist Paul Livingston married in 2007, singer Frank in 2008, both guys now living happily in LA; with John raising children and touring with partner Eddi Reader (Frank's sister) and drummer Stephen busy doing charity work in Glasgow, the guys have moved into that late 30s-early 40s realm of being happy with their lot. It comes across in this very relaxed "loving" album.
"When we play music together, it just seems special," admits John Douglas. "None of us can leave this behind us for any period of time. With this album we gave ourselves space to be creative, and to have faith in what we were doing - and it's totally satisfying." He grins. Eddi has just popped in to say she's off to Asda store, so it's time to go. "You know, there's no worries any more."
You may be interested in
- Sat 19th Jan 2019 to Sat 1st Jun 2019 Ian ProwseBuy Tickets
- Sat 19th Jan 2019 to Fri 25th Jan 2019 The 1975, Pale Waves, No RomeBuy Tickets
- Sat 19th Jan 2019 to Sun 28th Apr 2019 How Does It Feel To Be Loved?Buy Tickets
- Tue 22nd Jan 2019 Spotlight: CorellaThe Camden Assembly (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Thu 24th Jan 2019 to Wed 20th Feb 2019 Kaiser ChiefsBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th Jan 2019 Rick Witter, Paul BanksFibbers (York)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th Jan 2019 to Sat 23rd Mar 2019 Red Rum ClubBuy Tickets
- Sat 26th Jan 2019 and Thu 31st Jan 2019 The Wombats, Blaenavon, The Night CafeBuy Tickets
- Sat 26th Jan 2019 All We Are, Eugene McGuinnessMoth Club (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Tue 29th Jan 2019 to Fri 1st Feb 2019 Amy SharkBuy Tickets
- Tue 29th Jan 2019 to Sat 16th Feb 2019 Her'sBuy Tickets
- Wed 30th Jan 2019 Mitchell MuseumSneaky Pete's (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Thu 31st Jan 2019 and Sat 2nd Feb 2019 PhobophobesBuy Tickets
- Fri 1st Feb 2019 Hookworms, The Orielles, Bilge PumpLeeds Town Hall (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Fri 1st Feb 2019 SheafsEsquires (Bedford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Feb 2019 to Sat 13th Apr 2019 SleeperBuy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Feb 2019 The Darling BudsLe Pub (Newport)Buy Tickets
- Wed 6th Feb 2019 to Tue 12th Feb 2019 BalthazarBuy Tickets
- Thu 7th Feb 2019 to Thu 23rd May 2019 Kero Kero BonitoBuy Tickets
- Fri 8th Feb 2019 Go Kart MozartPatterns (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Mon 11th Feb 2019 to Sat 16th Feb 2019 FurBuy Tickets
- Wed 13th Feb 2019 and Mon 18th Feb 2019 OdetteBuy Tickets
- Thu 14th Feb 2019 to Fri 10th May 2019 SpaceBuy Tickets
- Thu 14th Feb 2019 to Sun 24th Feb 2019 Hippo CampusBuy Tickets
- Sat 16th Feb 2019 to Sun 3rd Mar 2019 The OriellesBuy Tickets
- Sat 16th Feb 2019 and Sat 23rd Feb 2019 Indigo VelvetBuy Tickets
- Sat 16th Feb 2019 The Pigeon DetectivesThe Guild Hall & Charter Theatre (Preston)Buy Tickets
- Wed 20th Feb 2019 to Wed 29th May 2019 FathersonBuy Tickets
- Thu 21st Feb 2019 to Sat 2nd Mar 2019 FlingBuy Tickets
- Thu 21st Feb 2019 to Fri 31st May 2019 SPINNBuy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Feb 2019 Idles, Penelope IslesBlackmarket VIP (Hastings)Buy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Feb 2019 to Sat 2nd Mar 2019 LarkinsBuy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Feb 2019 Fuzzy SunGorilla (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Wed 27th Feb 2019 to Sat 9th Mar 2019 Twenty One Pilots: BanditoBuy Tickets
- Fri 1st Mar 2019 to Fri 15th Mar 2019 This Feeling, Rory WynneBuy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Mar 2019 to Tue 9th Apr 2019 The Slow Readers ClubBuy Tickets
- Sun 3rd Mar 2019 to Tue 5th Mar 2019 HomeshakeBuy Tickets
- Tue 5th Mar 2019 to Thu 7th Mar 2019 Peter Bjorn & JohnBuy Tickets
- Wed 6th Mar 2019 Gently TenderOslo (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Wed 6th Mar 2019 to Fri 15th Mar 2019 LANYBuy Tickets
- Tue 12th Mar 2019 to Sun 17th Mar 2019 You Tell MeBuy Tickets
- Wed 13th Mar 2019 to Tue 2nd Apr 2019 Tom Rosenthal [musician]Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th Mar 2019 The HummingbirdsO2 Academy Islington (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sun 17th Mar 2019 to Sun 24th Mar 2019 Alice MertonBuy Tickets
- Wed 20th Mar 2019 to Sun 24th Mar 2019 The OceanBuy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Mar 2019 to Sat 13th Apr 2019 MarsicansBuy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Mar 2019 Woman's HourBoston Arms/ The Dome - Tufnell Park (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Mar 2019 The Claim100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Tue 26th Mar 2019 to Fri 29th Mar 2019 Lazy DayBuy Tickets
- Tue 26th Mar 2019 to Fri 5th Apr 2019 Adam FrenchBuy Tickets
- Wed 27th Mar 2019 to Fri 5th Apr 2019 Clean Cut KidBuy Tickets