Trashcan Sinatras due to release new album 'In The Music' in Sept 09
In the five years since we last heard a full album from Trashcan Sinatras, things have been looking up. After more than two decades in the business the guys behind the 1990's GO! Discs albums Cake, I've Seen Everything, A Happy Pocket and 2004's Weightlifting have decided to throw caution to the wind and get happy. The result - new album 'In The Music' is released on Lo-Five Records on 14 September 2009.
"It's five years since Weightlifting came out, we toured it for two years, then we started coming back down to earth. Mostly we've been just writing and playing." says vocalist and rhythm guitarist John Douglas. The band has discovered that they're not for the treadmill approach, or being tied to a label and a deal that demands an album every two years.
Those songs - full of relaxed harmonies, typical Trashcans - were set to arrangements in a back room in the South Side of Glasgow over the summer of 2007, and recorded in New York over a crisp, cold winter in 2007 / 8. At the heart is a studio process that's new for the boys - of relying on instinct, and leaving the received structure of songwriting and recording behind. Joined by occasional bassist Grant Wilson, in Davy Hughes' "family duties" absence, two extra members were drafted in for the album - Stevie Mulhearn and Jody Stoddart, both old friends, and both pulled in for their musical magic. A trip to New York was probably enough to entice them!
"The idea to record in New York came up, and it was brilliant. We love that town. The first time we went there we played CBGBs and it was fantastic. That would have been around 1990, when we were just wee boys. We hadn't really toured in Scotland, just a few shows, and the record got played in the States so we went there.", says Douglas.
Someone must have been smiling on 'In the Music'. As an added, and somewhat unexpected sparkle, the band bagged 70s singer - songwriting legend Carly Simon to sing on 'Should I Pray'. "It was sheer chance. Producer Andy Chase's parents live up in Martha's Vineyard, and we went up there when we'd finished in New York just to record a few more tracks. Carly lives there, James Taylor has a place there too - it's a kind of musical hippy vibe. Andy mentioned that he knew her and I said, I love Carly Simon, for me she's just amazing, an incredible songwriter with such a beautiful, distinctive voice,an icon."
With Simon's powerful vocals already in the mix, another feminine element comes from Ali Smith - the poet whose words in Half an Apple had already been put to music for the band's contribution to Chemikal Underground's 2007 album, Ballads of the Book, a co-operation between Scottish writers and musicians. The pairing of poetry and the Trashcans' sympathetic arrangements was so successful that Douglas took another of the poet's pieces for In the Music; it became the eponymous title track.
"I guess with Carly, Ali and with an Eddi Reader co-write plus fellow writers' Paul Livingston and Frank Reader in long term relationships with new partners, there is a bit of a feminine addition to this record," he smiles. Guitarist Paul Livingston married in 2007, singer Frank in 2008, both guys now living happily in LA; with John raising children and touring with partner Eddi Reader (Frank's sister) and drummer Stephen busy doing charity work in Glasgow, the guys have moved into that late 30s-early 40s realm of being happy with their lot. It comes across in this very relaxed "loving" album.
"When we play music together, it just seems special," admits John Douglas. "None of us can leave this behind us for any period of time. With this album we gave ourselves space to be creative, and to have faith in what we were doing - and it's totally satisfying." He grins. Eddi has just popped in to say she's off to Asda store, so it's time to go. "You know, there's no worries any more."
You may be interested in
- Sun 21st Jul 2019 to Wed 30th Oct 2019 Robyn HitchcockBuy Tickets
- Wed 24th Jul 2019 and Sat 2nd Nov 2019 My Life StoryBuy Tickets
- Fri 26th Jul 2019 Indietracks, Kero Kero Bonito, Stealing Sheep, The OriellesMidland Railway - Butterley Station (Derbyshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 27th Jul 2019 Morcheeba, James Holden, Portico Quartet, DJ Craig Charles, ...Gilcombe Farm (Somerset)Buy Tickets
- Sun 28th Jul 2019 Morcheeba, DJ Craig Charles, She Drew the Gun, Heavy Lungs, ...Gilcombe Farm (Somerset)Buy Tickets
- Sun 28th Jul 2019 Rag N Bone Man, Wolf Alice, Chic, Echo and the Bunnymen, Idl...Standon (Hertfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Sun 28th Jul 2019 Marsicans, THYLASebright Arms (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Tue 30th Jul 2019 Teenage FanclubKelvingrove Park (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Wed 31st Jul 2019 SuedeKelvingrove Park (Glasgow)More Info..
- Wed 31st Jul 2019 to Thu 5th Sep 2019 Johnny MarrBuy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Aug 2019 Youth ClubChinnerys (Southend)Buy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Aug 2019 and Tue 1st Oct 2019 The PrimitivesBuy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Aug 2019 to Fri 11th Oct 2019 APREBuy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Aug 2019 and Fri 30th Aug 2019 SpaceBuy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Aug 2019 to Thu 7th Nov 2019 Bombay Bicycle Club: I Had The Blues But I Shook Them LooseBuy Tickets
- Sun 4th Aug 2019 All Together NowCurraghmore House (Waterford)Buy Tickets
- Thu 8th Aug 2019 Meltdown Festival, Johnny MarrRoyal Festival Hall (Lambeth)Buy Tickets
- Fri 9th Aug 2019 Meltdown Festival, Kero Kero BonitoQueen Elizabeth Hall (Lambeth)Buy Tickets
- Tue 13th Aug 2019 and Wed 14th Aug 2019 Lewis Capaldi, Summer SessionsBuy Tickets
- Wed 14th Aug 2019 Paredes de Coura Festival, The National, ParcelsPraia Fluvial Do Taboao (Portugal)More Info..
- Fri 16th Aug 2019 and Sat 17th Aug 2019 Kaiser ChiefsBuy Tickets
- Sat 17th Aug 2019 Paredes de Coura Festival, Patti Smith, SuedePraia Fluvial Do Taboao (Portugal)More Info..
- Sat 17th Aug 2019 Siren Calling Festival: She Makes War, Calva Louise, Tess Parks, Hero Fisher, Valera...Studio 9294 (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Sun 18th Aug 2019 Gigs in the Gardens: Kaiser Chiefs, The Vaccines, The TwangDe Montfort Hall and Gardens (Leicester)Buy Tickets
- Wed 21st Aug 2019 and Thu 22nd Aug 2019 Blossoms, Inhaler, Fuzzy SunBuy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Aug 2019 Blossoms: After PartyThe Exchange (Hanley)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Aug 2019 The Big Feastival, Rudimental - DJ set, Lewis Capaldi, DJ Cr...Churchill Heath Farm (Oxfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Aug 2019 Reading Festival, The 1975, Juice WRLD, Pale Waves, CamelPha...Little John's Farm (Reading)More Info..
- Fri 23rd Aug 2019 The Magic NumbersThe Civic Hall - Cottingham (East Riding of Yorkshire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Aug 2019 SuperorganismShacklewell Arms (Stoke Newington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Aug 2019 Leeds Festival, The 1975, Juice WRLD, Pale Waves, CamelPhat,...Bramham Park (Leeds)More Info..
- Sat 24th Aug 2019 Reading Festival, Post Malone, Twenty One Pilots, Blossoms, ...Little John's Farm (Reading)More Info..
- Sat 24th Aug 2019 SleeperEsquires (Bedford)Buy Tickets
- Sun 25th Aug 2019 Leeds Festival, Post Malone, Twenty One Pilots, Blossoms, Bi...Bramham Park (Leeds)More Info..
- Sun 25th Aug 2019 Summer Sessions, The 1975, Twin Atlantic, You Me At Six, Pal...Bellahouston Park (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Wed 28th Aug 2019 to Sun 1st Sep 2019 Indian Summer: The BethsBuy Tickets
- Fri 30th Aug 2019 Lewis CapaldiOpen Air Theatre (Scarborough)Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th Aug 2019 Mull Historical SocietyThe Mash House (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Sat 31st Aug 2019 to Sat 14th Sep 2019 Star Shaped Festival, Cast, Salad, Mark Morriss, Chris HelmeBuy Tickets
- Sat 31st Aug 2019 Burn It Down, Basement, Dream State, Puppy, Loathe, Fatherso...The Foundry (Torquay)Buy Tickets
- Sat 31st Aug 2019 Our Girl, audiobooksBroadcast (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sun 1st Sep 2019 to Thu 31st Oct 2019 Bluetones Aftershow: Mark Morriss - DJ SetBuy Tickets
- Thu 5th Sep 2019 to Sat 14th Sep 2019 The Kentucky Headhunters, Jason and the Scorchers, Dan Baird...Buy Tickets
- Fri 6th Sep 2019 to Fri 18th Oct 2019 Rory WynneBuy Tickets
- Fri 13th Sep 2019 to Tue 17th Sep 2019 Will Joseph CookBuy Tickets
- Sat 14th Sep 2019 to Fri 8th Nov 2019 Ian ProwseBuy Tickets
- Sat 14th Sep 2019 to Wed 25th Sep 2019 FurBuy Tickets
- Sat 14th Sep 2019 Yassassin, Upset StomachThe Dalston Victoria (Dalston)Buy Tickets
- Tue 17th Sep 2019 to Sun 22nd Sep 2019 The ChesterfieldsBuy Tickets
- Thu 19th Sep 2019 audiobooks, Aldous HardingNeuadd Ogwen (Bangor)Buy Tickets
- Thu 19th Sep 2019 Damo Suzuki, Gently TenderOld Blue Last (Hackney)Buy Tickets