Breakin' Convention returns to the UK for 2009, launching in London tonight (Thursday 30th April 2009)
A bit like Skateboarding, Hip Hop dance is one of those skills one wishes they had but can't seem to.... Well, if you fancy living the dream through the moves of the gifted, then this might be the place for you:
Breakin' Convention, the globally renowned UK festival of Hip Hop dance theatre, presented by Sadler's Wells, returns for its sixth run.
The five-day event (April 30th-May 4th) is hosted and curated by resident artistic director, Jonzi D, who again this year, calls onto a stellar line-up of international talents such as Ken Swift and his crew, VII Gems Rock Dance Division from the States, the 'Charlie Chaplin of Hip Hop', Salah, from France, and the Korean troupe Myosung, among other skillful practitioners, to showcase, perform and teach some of the many moves, styles, figures and trends in Hip Hop dance, as part of a touring series of performances, screenings, discussions and workshops. Which will resume in London tonight, with 'Future Elements', a showcase choreographed and performed by teenage hip hop disciples, from 7.30pm.Then, from tomorrow onwards, a program of cross-ranging-level workshops on BBoying, Locking, Popping, Rocking and Turntabling etc..., taught by the above-mentioned masters will run at Sadler's Wells until May 4th. (check http://www.breakinconvention.com/breakin-convention-2009/workshop-programme).
The main performances will see the Compagnie Revolution, Popping legend Mr Wiggles, and old skool Rocking from the VII Gems featuring Ken Swift, take to the stage on May 2nd, followed by Salah, MyoSung, and the first African company 'to represent', Compagnie Salama, on May 3rd; as well as duo Sebastien & Raphael, soloist B Boy supremo Junior, and the award winning company Flying Steps on May 4th.
Armed with the success of recent years, Breakin' Convention will then embark on a UK tour throughout the month of May, via the cities of High Wycombe (May 5th & 6th), Nottingham (May 8th and 9th), Birmingham (May 12th and 13th), Bradford on May 15th, Edinburgh (May 18th and 19th), Plymouth (May 22nd and 23rd), Newcastle (May 27th and 28th) and Salford (May 30th), with headlining acts Ken Swift, Salah and Myosung performing alongside local talent.
The Bradford event will be launched with a free showcase at Centenary Square (under the big screen), featuring Bradford's Vogue Dance Group, Kinetic Movement, Mime Crisis, Vogue Dance Juniors, Xplosion and Fitness First Team along with Optimum Limit from Wakefield and music from Waxworks Music Initiative.
Tickets for the London leg are on sale now, with single-day passes at £20.00 (conc. £12.00), two-day passes at £32.00 (conc. £18.00), and three-day passes at £48.00 (conc. £27.00), granting access to all performances and showcases except for workshops, which cost £8.00 for Hip Hop Kids workshops (targeted at 6-to 10 year olds), £14.00 for general 1.5 hour workshops and £18.00 for 2-hour ones (including the Bronx Social Dance Party on May 3rd).
Please note that Saturday and Sunday passes have now sold out and only returns may be still available (check with Sadler's Well's box office).
Tickets for the Breakin' Convention national tour are currently on sale, ranging from £7.00 to £20.00, depending on the venue.
You may be interested in
- Tue 14th Aug 2018 to Sun 16th Sep 2018 RiverdanceBuy Tickets
- Tue 14th Aug 2018 to Thu 7th Mar 2019 Fame the MusicalBuy Tickets
- Tue 14th Aug 2018 to Sat 20th Oct 2018 Strictly Ballroom The MusicalBuy Tickets
- Mon 20th Aug 2018 to Mon 10th Sep 2018 Swing Out! A Night Of Live Swing Music And DancingBuy Tickets
- Fri 24th Aug 2018 and Sat 25th Aug 2018 In the HeightsBuy Tickets
- Sat 1st Sep 2018 to Wed 14th Nov 2018 Flawless: Chase The Dream - The Grand FinaleBuy Tickets
- Wed 12th Sep 2018 to Wed 31st Oct 2018 Rip It UpBuy Tickets
- Wed 12th Sep 2018 and Wed 21st Nov 2018 Royal Philharmonic OrchestraBuy Tickets
- Tue 18th Sep 2018 Michel Legrand, Royal Philharmonic OrchestraRoyal Festival Hall (Lambeth)Buy Tickets
- Fri 21st Sep 2018 to Sun 11th Nov 2018 Diversity: IgniteBuy Tickets
- Tue 9th Oct 2018 to Thu 7th Feb 2019 Richard Alston DanceBuy Tickets
- Sat 13th Oct 2018 Birmingham Classical, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra: Shostakovich's FifthSymphony Hall (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Sun 21st Oct 2018 UK B-Boy Championships: World FinalsO2 Forum (Kentish Town)Buy Tickets
- Tue 23rd Oct 2018 to Sat 10th Nov 2018 Tap DogsBuy Tickets
- Sun 28th Oct 2018 to Tue 20th Nov 2018 Brendan ColeBuy Tickets
- Sat 10th Nov 2018 to Thu 7th Mar 2019 Magic Mike LiveBuy Tickets
- Sat 24th Nov 2018 and Tue 27th Nov 2018 ShalamarBuy Tickets
- Wed 12th Dec 2018 to Sun 16th Dec 2018 Paul McCartney: Freshen UpBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th Jan 2019 to Thu 7th Mar 2019 Anton & Erin: Those Magical MusicalsBuy Tickets
- Tue 29th Jan 2019 to Sat 16th Feb 2019 Tango FireBuy Tickets
- Tue 5th Feb 2019 to Sun 10th Feb 2019 Lord of the DanceBuy Tickets
- Sat 9th Feb 2019 and Thu 14th Feb 2019 Anton & Erin, London Concert Orchestra, Lance Ellington: Those Magical MusicalsBuy Tickets
- Fri 15th Feb 2019 Fire of AnatoliaIndigo at the O2 (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Wed 20th Feb 2019 to Thu 7th Mar 2019 Cirque ÉloizeBuy Tickets