White Lies, The Pretenders, Flashguns and The Chakras added to Latitude 2009 lineup
The pioneering, award-winning Latitude Festival returns to England's Sunrise Coast for another spectacular year. Taking place on 16th - 19th July, near Suffolk's stunning seaside town of Southwold, organisers Festival Republic are promising Latitude will be the perfect British summer destination.
Obelisk Arena Additions
The open-air Obelisk Arena has been the stage of some epic performances over the past three years and Latitude 2009 will be no different. Lay out your picnic blanket, bask in the sunshine and get down to some of the best music around.
White Lies are having an incredible year with the release of their debut album 'To Lose My Life'. It topped the UK Album Chart in the first week of its release making them the first British band to top the charts this year. Following the album's successes the band has gone on to perform on the Late Show with David Letterman, South by Southwest industry showcase and numerous tours across the world. The band opened the Obelisk Arena at last year's Latitude Festival and the band will make a triumphant return with a higher billing at this year's event.
Renowned rock stalwarts Pretenders need little introduction as their blend of punky new wave and pop melodies have meant chart success since their inception in the late seventies. The prolific song-writing talents of Chrissie Hynde has produced such classic hits as 'Don't Get Me Wrong', 'I'll Stand By You', 'Brass In My Pocket' and 'Back On The Chain Gang' plus countless others in a career that now spans over several decades and nine studio albums. Expect their performance on the Obelisk Arena to bring together new material from their recent album 'Break Up The Concrete' and past hits for what will be in a very special Friday night set.
Hailing from London and Brighton, Flashguns are a young indie rock band inspired by the likes of Talking Heads and The Cure. Their talents have been quick to catch the eyes and ears of the record industry and after releasing a single on Rough Trade with former Suede guitarist, Bernard Butler on production duties, the band are now working on their eagerly awaited debut EP which is out in June. With a media buzz, much justified, catch these bright young things as they open the Obelisk Arena on Friday afternoon.
Irish upstarts The Chakras will be opening up the Arena on Saturday afternoon. Inspired by the early nineties psychedelic noises offered up by My Bloody Valentine and The Verve, The Chakras have an ethereal sound with soaring melodies and a pounding rhythm section. It's a winning formula which has garnered critical acclaim. They are currently writing new material for their debut album due out later this year.
These new additions join Obelisk headliners; electronic dance pioneers Pet Shop Boys, iconic disco queen Grace Jones, and the decadent rock noir of Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, plus Doves, Editors and Regina Spektor with many more bands, across all music arenas to be announced soon.
Elsewhere, the very best in film, theatre, comedy, literature, poetry, dance, art and cabaret will be pitching up at the fourth edition of Latitude Festival. Mark Lamarr's God's Jukebox and LateNightTales will be presenting some fabulous live performances from an eclectic set of bands in the Music & Film Arena; Sadler's Wells and the Royal Opera House will be showcasing stunning performances on The Waterfront Stage; Royal Shakespeare Company, The Bush, National Theatre, Paines Plough, nabokov plus more will all be coming to the Theatre Arena along with the English Touring Theatre presenting Latitude's first musical 'Been So Long'. Also for the first time is the dynamic orchestral brilliance Britten Sinfonia performing in Latitude's outdoor spaces. The Literary Arena is packed full of top authors including Blake Morrison, Geoff Dyer and Robin Ince's Book Club as well as workshops from The School Of life; plus stellar poets Andrew Motion, Brian Patten, Jackie Kay and Simon Armitage will be in the Poetry Arena. The Cabaret Arena welcomes Zimbani, Deborah Francis-White , Holly Walsh & Sophie Black, Jessica Delfino, Cardinal Burns and Watson and Oliver plus plenty more exciting performances to announce. With a quite astonishing comedy line-up to be announced and much, much more across all of the arenas, Latitude 2009 is once again a perfect slice of cultural heaven by the sea.
- Weekend tickets : £150 plus booking fee
- Day tickets Fri, Sat, Sun : £60 plus booking fee
- Weekend ticket prices include car parking and camping
- Day tickets include car parking only
Tickets available below.
You may be interested in
- Fri 20th Sep 2019 to Sat 9th May 2020 The DreamboysBuy Tickets
- Sat 21st Sep 2019 to Tue 31st Dec 2019 The Chocolate MenBuy Tickets
- Sat 21st Sep 2019 Star Shaped Festival, Cast, Space, Salad, Mark Morriss, Chri...O2 Forum (Kentish Town)Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Sep 2019 to Sat 5th Oct 2019 Twisted CircusBuy Tickets
- Sat 21st Sep 2019 to Sun 15th Dec 2019 King's Head Comedy Variety CabaretBuy Tickets
- Fri 27th Sep 2019 Puppetry of the PenisRegal Cinema (Redruth)Buy Tickets
- Fri 27th Sep 2019 Emerge Festival, Ady Suleiman, Poppy Ajudha, FlohioVarious London Venues (London)Buy Tickets
- Sat 28th Sep 2019 Emerge Festival, Benin City, Mina Rose, Ishmael EnsembleVarious London Venues (London)Buy Tickets
- Sat 12th Oct 2019 Twisterella, VistasMiddlesbrough Various Venues (Middlesbrough)Buy Tickets
- Sat 12th Oct 2019 Neighbourhood Festival, Miles Kane, The Blinders, The Big Mo...Various Manchester Venues (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Wed 16th Oct 2019 to Sat 26th Oct 2019 Dina MartinaBuy Tickets
- Fri 18th Oct 2019 to Sun 20th Oct 2019 SWN FestivalBuy Tickets
- Fri 18th Oct 2019 Burlesque ShowGrace Hall (City of London)Buy Tickets
- Sat 19th Oct 2019 Ritual Union, TelemanVarious Oxford Venues (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 19th Oct 2019 Ritual Union, Teleman, The Comet is Coming, Ibibio Sound Mac...O2 Academy Oxford (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Nov 2019 Mirrors Festival, Phoebe Bridgers, American Football, Turnov...Various Camden Venues (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sun 19th Jan 2020 Music HallNew Wimbledon Theatre (Wimbledon)Buy Tickets
- Fri 31st Jan 2020 to Tue 11th Feb 2020 Miz CrackerBuy Tickets
- Fri 1st May 2020 and Sun 3rd May 2020 Liverpool SoundCityBuy Tickets
- Sat 2nd May 2020 Live at LeedsVarious Leeds Venues (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Sun 3rd May 2020 Stag and DaggerVarious Glasgow Venues (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Thu 7th May 2020 to Sat 9th May 2020 Focus WalesBuy Tickets
- Thu 21st May 2020 to Sun 24th May 2020 Bearded Theory's Spring GatheringBuy Tickets
- Sat 23rd May 2020 and Sun 24th May 2020 Neighbourhood WeekenderBuy Tickets
- Mon 25th May 2020 Geronimo FestivalArley Hall and Gardens (Northwich)Buy Tickets
- Sun 14th Jun 2020 DownloadDonington Park - Castle Donington (Derbyshire)Buy Tickets
- Thu 2nd Jul 2020 to Sat 4th Jul 2020 Barn on the Farm FestivalBuy Tickets
- Fri 3rd Jul 2020 Wireless FestivalFinsbury Park (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 10th Jul 2020 Cornbury FestivalThe Great Tew Park (Oxfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 17th Jul 2020 to Sat 18th Jul 2020 PennFestBuy Tickets
- Fri 17th Jul 2020 Warton Music FestivalBentley Farm (Tamworth)Buy Tickets
- Sun 19th Jul 2020 Les McKeown's Bay City Rollers, Hale Barns CarnivalSt Ambrose College (Altrincham)Buy Tickets
- Fri 24th Jul 2020 to Sat 25th Jul 2020 ChagstockBuy Tickets
- Fri 24th Jul 2020 to Sun 26th Jul 2020 LeopalloozaBuy Tickets
- Fri 31st Jul 2020 to Sun 2nd Aug 2020 Tramlines FestivalBuy Tickets
- Fri 31st Jul 2020 to Sun 2nd Aug 2020 Kendal CallingBuy Tickets
- Fri 31st Jul 2020 to Sun 2nd Aug 2020 Valley FestBuy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Aug 2020 Neverworld FestivalJohn Darlings Farm - Edenbridge (Kent)Buy Tickets
- Thu 13th Aug 2020 to Sun 16th Aug 2020 110 Above FestivalBuy Tickets
- Fri 28th Aug 2020 to Mon 31st Aug 2020 Towersey FestivalBuy Tickets
- Wed 18th Aug 2021 Green Man FestivalGlanusk Park (Brecon)Buy Tickets