Benjamin Taylor releasing a new album 'The Legend Of Kung Folk'
Kung Folk seeks not to know the answers but rather to understand the questions. Benjamin Taylor's memorable melodies, immaculate acoustic guitar playing and insightful, honest lyrics demand your attention with 10 songs that come straight from the heart. With his third full-length album, The Legend of Kung Folk, Part 1 (The Killing Bite), Taylor puts the "kick" back into folk music to reveal the humour, wit and skill of a singer-songwriter who's comfortable in both his own skin and with his impressive musical legacy.
The son of James Taylor and Carly Simon, Ben's life was always centred on music, although he spent several years travelling the world, developing a deep appreciation for the earth and the outdoors. His acclaimed previous releases include his debut album, Famous Among the Barns, and Another Run Around The Sun. Both were released on Iris Records, owned and run by Ben and his drummer, Larry Ciancia (Everlast, Ray LaMontagne). It's a place where the duo is able to control their artistic decisions and create opportunities for other like-minded artists.
Highlights from this era included appearances by Ben on Good Morning America, The Tonight Show, The CBS Morning Show, Last Call with Carson Daly, and Howard Stern. He also made his acting debut with a recurring role on NBC's American Dreams as Cal, a struggling singer/songwriter, and has appeared on the cover of Rolling Stone.
Making music has become as natural as breathing to Ben. Accordingly, this approach has coloured his songwriting on The Legend of Kung Folk - "Once you write it, a good song stands up on its own. You just have to be careful not to dress it in anything that will inhibit its natural potential. This time around I'm trying to focus less on making music and more on helping the music to make itself."
On The Legend of Kung Folk, his songs run the gamut from the sonically spacious acoustic piano/vocal duet with Jamie Cullum, 'After It's Over', to the enormous stack of background vocals on 'She's Gone' and from the tongue-in-cheek, lusty 'Wicked Way' to the earnest, uplifting 'You're The One For Me'.
Ben will be on tour in Britain in April 2009, with special guest David Saw.
You may be interested in
- Fri 16th Nov 2018 to Thu 9th May 2019 Tide LinesBuy Tickets
- Sat 17th Nov 2018 to Wed 26th Jun 2019 Woman To Woman, Judie Tzuke, Julia Fordham, Beverley CravenBuy Tickets
- Sat 17th Nov 2018 to Tue 20th Nov 2018 Noah KahanBuy Tickets
- Sat 17th Nov 2018 and Mon 19th Nov 2018 Charlotte Carpenter, Alessi's ArkBuy Tickets
- Sat 17th Nov 2018 to Sat 24th Nov 2018 Mr Ben and the Bens: Happy ShopperBuy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Nov 2018 to Sat 22nd Dec 2018 Hudson TaylorBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Nov 2018 Ailbhe ReddyWhelan's (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Sun 25th Nov 2018 London Jazz Festival, Melody GardotRoyal Festival Hall (Lambeth)Buy Tickets
- Thu 29th Nov 2018 Hudson Taylor, Orla GartlandThe Haunt (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th Nov 2018 Clive GregsonUkrainian Centre (Doncaster)Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Dec 2018 Woman To Woman, Judie TzukeVicar Street (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Tue 15th Jan 2019 to Thu 17th Jan 2019 Joshua HyslopBuy Tickets
- Fri 18th Jan 2019 to Sat 26th Jan 2019 Twin Bandit, Steph CameronBuy Tickets
- Wed 23rd Jan 2019 Twin BanditKardomah94 (Hull)Buy Tickets
- Wed 20th Feb 2019 to Sun 23rd Jun 2019 Eddi ReaderBuy Tickets
- Mon 4th Mar 2019 to Tue 26th Mar 2019 KT TunstallBuy Tickets
- Thu 9th May 2019 and Mon 20th May 2019 Emma StevensBuy Tickets