National Theatre Reschedules Controversy - 'England People Very Nice' - New Dates
Richard Bean's much-reported play about 4 different cultures migrating to Bethnal Green over the course of 3 centuries has been re-timed from it's original schedules at the National Theatre. The new dates are now:
Restarting from April 27th until June 30th
However, all performances due to run up to and including April 26th have now been cancelled
The play has courted plenty of attention and controversy due to the nature of the script. It deals with racial stereotypes and cultural tensions amongst the East London community particularly when the next wave of immigration affects the area. Violence and tension and explicit racial terms used in the play have prompted several protests, not least during a talk given by its playwright at the National when a teacher and another playwright stormed on stage with placards to interrupt proceedings. It is ironic that the power of protest is also represented in the play although some may deem the play as reminiscent of the infamous 1970's TV 'comedy' "Love They Neighbour". Is this a step too far? You decide.
Tickets cost £30 + booking and are available now.
You may be interested in
- Wed 21st Feb 2018 Extraordinary Silk Road Tour Concert: Chinese New Year - Chinese New Year SpectacularTyne Theatre and Opera House (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Wed 21st Feb 2018 to Mon 21st May 2018 Shen YunBuy Tickets
- Sun 25th Feb 2018 Mega MaalaiIndigo at the O2 (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sun 4th Mar 2018 to Mon 19th Mar 2018 Checkpoint ChanaBuy Tickets
- Sun 6th May 2018 Mugenkyo Taiko DrummersWhitley Bay Playhouse (Whitley Bay)Buy Tickets