National Theatre Reschedules Controversy - 'England People Very Nice' - New Dates
Richard Bean's much-reported play about 4 different cultures migrating to Bethnal Green over the course of 3 centuries has been re-timed from it's original schedules at the National Theatre. The new dates are now:
Restarting from April 27th until June 30th
However, all performances due to run up to and including April 26th have now been cancelled
The play has courted plenty of attention and controversy due to the nature of the script. It deals with racial stereotypes and cultural tensions amongst the East London community particularly when the next wave of immigration affects the area. Violence and tension and explicit racial terms used in the play have prompted several protests, not least during a talk given by its playwright at the National when a teacher and another playwright stormed on stage with placards to interrupt proceedings. It is ironic that the power of protest is also represented in the play although some may deem the play as reminiscent of the infamous 1970's TV 'comedy' "Love They Neighbour". Is this a step too far? You decide.
Tickets cost £30 + booking and are available now.
You may be interested in
- Thu 26th Sep 2019 One Man, Two GuvnorsThe Marine Theatre - Lyme Regis (Dorset)Buy Tickets
- Sat 12th Oct 2019 Umoja - The Spirit of TogethernessThe Jago (London)Buy Tickets
- Fri 15th Nov 2019 Inua Ellams' UntitledThe Manchester Museum (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 3rd Jan 2020 to Sun 26th Jan 2020 Shen YunBuy Tickets
- Wed 29th Jan 2020 to Sat 15th Feb 2020 The Gift [play]Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Feb 2020 Chinese New Year Celebration [Tianhan]Plaza Theatre (Stockport)Buy Tickets
- Fri 19th Jun 2020 to Sat 25th Jul 2020 Sucker PunchBuy Tickets