National Theatre Reschedules Controversy - 'England People Very Nice' - New Dates
Richard Bean's much-reported play about 4 different cultures migrating to Bethnal Green over the course of 3 centuries has been re-timed from it's original schedules at the National Theatre. The new dates are now:
Restarting from April 27th until June 30th
However, all performances due to run up to and including April 26th have now been cancelled
The play has courted plenty of attention and controversy due to the nature of the script. It deals with racial stereotypes and cultural tensions amongst the East London community particularly when the next wave of immigration affects the area. Violence and tension and explicit racial terms used in the play have prompted several protests, not least during a talk given by its playwright at the National when a teacher and another playwright stormed on stage with placards to interrupt proceedings. It is ironic that the power of protest is also represented in the play although some may deem the play as reminiscent of the infamous 1970's TV 'comedy' "Love They Neighbour". Is this a step too far? You decide.
Tickets cost £30 + booking and are available now.
You may be interested in
- Wed 15th Aug 2018 to Sat 3rd Nov 2018 The JungleBuy Tickets
- Thu 25th Oct 2018 to Fri 23rd Nov 2018 Ear for EyeBuy Tickets
- Tue 15th Jan 2019 to Sat 19th Jan 2019 Glasgow GirlsBuy Tickets
- Fri 15th Feb 2019 Fire of AnatoliaIndigo at the O2 (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th Feb 2019 to Sun 31st Mar 2019 Yamato DrummersBuy Tickets