Blues Maestro Sherman Robertson live at Monroe's Bar - 18th April 09
One of the star turns at Maryport Blues Festival 2008, Sherman Robertson returns to the county in April for an intimate, in your face show at Monroe's Bar, Workington.
Already considered a young master of zydeco, hard-swinging Texas electric blues, R&B and swampy Louisiana blues. Robertson often surprises audiences with his ability to play R&B, zydeco and blues with a rock edge.
Considered by legendary blues label Alligator Records president, Bruce Iglauer, to have the same plain physical showmanship of the late great Albert Collins, Robertson is regarded as one of the finest Texas style bluesman treading the boards.
Sherman was born in Beaux Bridge, Louisiana and raised in Houston, Texas. Robertson quickly earned a local reputation as a very good guitarist. While still in high school Robertson was recruited by his music teacher, Conrad Johnson, to play in his popular group, Connie's Combo (and otherwise adult band). As a teenager in the late 1960's, he spent six weeks on the road as lead guitarist with blues superstar Bobby "Blue" Bland and also backed Junior Parker. That gave Sherman the incentive to form his own band, Sherman Robertson and the Crosstown Blues Band with whom he recorded two albums on the Lunar II label. During the 1970's, Robertson was content playing weekends while raising a family and holding down a "regular" job until Clifton Chenier, " the King Of Zydeco," asked him to do some dates with his band. Those few dates turned into 5 years, as Robertson toured Europe and U.S. with Chenier. He then joined Terrance Simien's hot, then young zydeco band, briefly playing with Rockin' Dopsie, Johnny Clyde Copeland and several other well-known artists.
The word on Robertson's talent began to spread. Paul Simon needed a guitar player to add some sounds to his Graceland album and he chose Robertson. Soon after, legendary British producer Mike Vernon (John Mayall's Bluebreakers with Eric Clapton, Freddie King, Fleetwood Mac, David Bowie) signed Robertson to Atlantic Records. Robertson's first solo recording, 1993's I'm The Man (Atlantic1994), was nominated for a W.C. Handy Award.
His second Atlantic release, Here And Now, was released in 1996 to more critical acclaim. But convinced he would have more promotional support and artistic freedom from an independent label, Robertson weighed his options.
In early 1998, producer Joe Harley, with the help of Robertson's manager, Catherine Bauer, assembled a first class backup band for a project for the AudioQuest label, including two charter members of Little Feat, keyboardist Bill Payne and drummer Richie Hayward. They all gathered at Ocean Way Recording in Hollywood for the sessions that resorted in the album, Going Back Home. Blues Revue loved the release. "Potent singing and sizzling guitar...Robertson is unstoppable."
November 2005 saw him tour extensively as Sherman Robertson & BluesMove. Sherman Robertson's latest CD Guitar Man - Live was released in 2006.
You may be interested in
- Tue 24th Sep 2019 to Fri 28th Feb 2020 Stevie NimmoBuy Tickets
- Tue 24th Sep 2019 Martin Carthy, Wizz Jones, Fundraising Event: MNDA FundraiserThe Crescent Community Centre (York)Buy Tickets
- Thu 3rd Oct 2019 to Fri 11th Oct 2019 Walter TroutBuy Tickets
- Thu 3rd Oct 2019 to Fri 10th Apr 2020 Danny BryantBuy Tickets
- Sat 5th Oct 2019 Walter Trout, Dan Patlansky, Mollie MarriottOpen (Norwich)Buy Tickets
- Wed 9th Oct 2019 and Thu 10th Oct 2019 Walter Trout, Dan PatlanskyBuy Tickets
- Sat 12th Oct 2019 Rocktober: Walter Trout, Dan Patlansky, Kris Barras Band, Mollie Marrio...O2 Academy Sheffield (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Sat 12th Oct 2019 The Cinelli BrothersLouth Hospital Social Club (Louth)Buy Tickets
- Sun 13th Oct 2019 to Fri 18th Oct 2019 John MayerBuy Tickets
- Mon 14th Oct 2019 to Sun 3rd Nov 2019 Graceland - Live, Josh Turner GuitarBuy Tickets
- Sat 26th Oct 2019 to Fri 22nd Nov 2019 Catfish KeithBuy Tickets
- Sun 3rd Nov 2019 to Sun 24th Nov 2019 John MayallBuy Tickets
- Wed 6th Nov 2019 to Tue 19th Nov 2019 Ian SiegalBuy Tickets
- Sat 9th Nov 2019 to Thu 14th Nov 2019 Kenny Wayne ShepherdBuy Tickets
- Sat 9th Nov 2019 Bude Blues Festival, Wille and the Bandits, Stevie NimmoPenstowe Manor (Bude)Buy Tickets
- Sun 10th Nov 2019 Bude Blues Festival, Sugaray Rayford, Nine Below ZeroPenstowe Manor (Bude)Buy Tickets
- Sun 10th Nov 2019 and Mon 25th Nov 2019 Wizz JonesBuy Tickets
- Mon 11th Nov 2019 to Thu 23rd Jan 2020 Eliana CargneluttiBuy Tickets
- Mon 11th Nov 2019 to Thu 14th Nov 2019 Sugaray RayfordBuy Tickets
- Thu 21st Nov 2019 to Thu 12th Dec 2019 Chantel McGregorBuy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Nov 2019 Gretchen PetersDe La Warr Pavilion (Sussex)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Nov 2019 to Fri 13th Dec 2019 Laurence JonesBuy Tickets
- Fri 6th Dec 2019 and Sat 14th Dec 2019 Aynsley ListerBuy Tickets
- Sat 7th Dec 2019 Tommy AllenBorough Blues Club - Cwmbran RFC (Cwmbran)Buy Tickets
- Wed 15th Jan 2020 and Sat 15th Feb 2020 Stan Webb's Chicken ShackBuy Tickets
- Fri 17th Jan 2020 January Blues Festival: Otis GrandUnder the Bridge (Fulham)Buy Tickets
- Fri 17th Jan 2020 Popa Chubby, BlackballedThe Waterloo (Blackpool)Buy Tickets
- Sat 18th Jan 2020 January Blues Festival: Mud Morganfield, The Cinelli BrothersUnder the Bridge (Fulham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 18th Jan 2020 to Sat 25th Jan 2020 Popa ChubbyBuy Tickets
- Sun 19th Jan 2020 Kirk Fletcher100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Thu 23rd Jan 2020 Sonny LandrethIslington Assembly Hall [Town Hall] (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Tue 28th Jan 2020 Blues Night, Aynsley Lister100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th Feb 2020 Danny Bryant, Pist.On, The Treatment, Tomorrow is Lost, Truc...Sandford Holiday Park (Poole)Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th Feb 2020 to Sun 8th Mar 2020 Samantha FishBuy Tickets
- Thu 26th Mar 2020 Stephen Dale Petit100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Tue 5th May 2020 Bernard Allison100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets