Blues Maestro Sherman Robertson live at Monroe's Bar - 18th April 09
One of the star turns at Maryport Blues Festival 2008, Sherman Robertson returns to the county in April for an intimate, in your face show at Monroe's Bar, Workington.
Already considered a young master of zydeco, hard-swinging Texas electric blues, R&B and swampy Louisiana blues. Robertson often surprises audiences with his ability to play R&B, zydeco and blues with a rock edge.
Considered by legendary blues label Alligator Records president, Bruce Iglauer, to have the same plain physical showmanship of the late great Albert Collins, Robertson is regarded as one of the finest Texas style bluesman treading the boards.
Sherman was born in Beaux Bridge, Louisiana and raised in Houston, Texas. Robertson quickly earned a local reputation as a very good guitarist. While still in high school Robertson was recruited by his music teacher, Conrad Johnson, to play in his popular group, Connie's Combo (and otherwise adult band). As a teenager in the late 1960's, he spent six weeks on the road as lead guitarist with blues superstar Bobby "Blue" Bland and also backed Junior Parker. That gave Sherman the incentive to form his own band, Sherman Robertson and the Crosstown Blues Band with whom he recorded two albums on the Lunar II label. During the 1970's, Robertson was content playing weekends while raising a family and holding down a "regular" job until Clifton Chenier, " the King Of Zydeco," asked him to do some dates with his band. Those few dates turned into 5 years, as Robertson toured Europe and U.S. with Chenier. He then joined Terrance Simien's hot, then young zydeco band, briefly playing with Rockin' Dopsie, Johnny Clyde Copeland and several other well-known artists.
The word on Robertson's talent began to spread. Paul Simon needed a guitar player to add some sounds to his Graceland album and he chose Robertson. Soon after, legendary British producer Mike Vernon (John Mayall's Bluebreakers with Eric Clapton, Freddie King, Fleetwood Mac, David Bowie) signed Robertson to Atlantic Records. Robertson's first solo recording, 1993's I'm The Man (Atlantic1994), was nominated for a W.C. Handy Award.
His second Atlantic release, Here And Now, was released in 1996 to more critical acclaim. But convinced he would have more promotional support and artistic freedom from an independent label, Robertson weighed his options.
In early 1998, producer Joe Harley, with the help of Robertson's manager, Catherine Bauer, assembled a first class backup band for a project for the AudioQuest label, including two charter members of Little Feat, keyboardist Bill Payne and drummer Richie Hayward. They all gathered at Ocean Way Recording in Hollywood for the sessions that resorted in the album, Going Back Home. Blues Revue loved the release. "Potent singing and sizzling guitar...Robertson is unstoppable."
November 2005 saw him tour extensively as Sherman Robertson & BluesMove. Sherman Robertson's latest CD Guitar Man - Live was released in 2006.
You may be interested in
- Thu 22nd Feb 2018 to Wed 7th Mar 2018 Stone Broken, Jared James Nichols, The Bad Flowers: Ain't Always EasyBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 to Sat 4th Aug 2018 Wizz JonesBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Feb 2018 to Sat 3rd Mar 2018 Dave ArcariBuy Tickets
- Sat 24th Feb 2018 and Sun 25th Feb 2018 The Guitar ShowBuy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Mar 2018 to Fri 30th Nov 2018 Chantel McGregorBuy Tickets
- Wed 7th Mar 2018 to Fri 20th Apr 2018 Stevie NimmoBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Mar 2018 to Sat 17th Mar 2018 Joe BonamassaBuy Tickets
- Sat 17th Mar 2018 Rockin' The Blues: Eric Gales, Gary Hoey, Quinn SullivanThe Garage/ Thousand Island (Highbury)Buy Tickets
- Fri 6th Apr 2018 and Thu 3rd May 2018 Stephen Dale PetitBuy Tickets
- Wed 11th Apr 2018 to Thu 26th Apr 2018 Ian SiegalBuy Tickets
- Thu 12th Apr 2018 to Fri 22nd Jun 2018 Eric BibbBuy Tickets
- Sun 15th Apr 2018 Sonny Landreth229 the venue - Great Portland Street (Marylebone)Buy Tickets
- Mon 23rd Apr 2018 Bernard Allison, Mike ZitoWorthing Pier (Worthing)Buy Tickets
- Tue 24th Apr 2018 Krissy MatthewsOld Fire Station (Carlisle)Buy Tickets
- Fri 27th Apr 2018 Stan Webb's Chicken ShackCluny (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Sat 28th Apr 2018 and Sat 19th May 2018 Aynsley ListerBuy Tickets
- Thu 3rd May 2018 to Sun 13th May 2018 Laurence JonesBuy Tickets
- Mon 7th May 2018 to Wed 13th Jun 2018 Danny BryantBuy Tickets
- Thu 10th May 2018 to Mon 14th May 2018 Ladysmith Black MambazoBuy Tickets
- Fri 11th May 2018 Joanne Shaw TaylorMr Kyps (Poole)Buy Tickets
- Sat 12th May 2018 and Sun 13th May 2018 The Pretty Things, Simon McBride, Aynsley ListerBuy Tickets
- Sat 19th May 2018 Larry Garner Band, Norman Beaker BandThe Flowerpot (Derby)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th May 2018 to Sat 2nd Jun 2018 Gretchen PetersBuy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Jun 2018 Norman Beaker BandOld Fire Station (Carlisle)Buy Tickets
- Sun 3rd Jun 2018 Gretchen Peters, Kim RicheyThe Pavilion Theatre (Worthing)Buy Tickets
- Tue 12th Jun 2018 Hampton Court Palace Festival, Joe BonamassaHampton Court Palace (Kingston upon Thames)Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th Jun 2018 Cleethorpes Blues Rhythm & Rock Festival: Danny Bryant, Paul LambMoon on the Water (Cleethorpes)Buy Tickets
- Sun 17th Jun 2018 Stone Free Festival, Yes, Roger Hodgson, Joanne Shaw TaylorThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sun 17th Jun 2018 Danny Bryant, Paul Lamb and the King Snakes, The GroundhogsStamford Corn Exchange (Stamford)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jun 2018 Rob TognoniThe Voodoo Rooms (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Fri 6th Jul 2018 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Roger WatersHyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Sat 7th Jul 2018 The Cure, Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Inte...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Sun 8th Jul 2018 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Eric Clapton, ...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Mon 9th Jul 2018 to Thu 12th Jul 2018 James Taylor, Bonnie RaittBuy Tickets
- Tue 10th Jul 2018 to Fri 13th Jul 2018 Paul SimonBuy Tickets
- Fri 13th Jul 2018 Michael Bublé, Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyd...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Sat 14th Jul 2018 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Bruno Mars, Kh...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Sun 15th Jul 2018 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Paul Simon, Ja...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Fri 9th Nov 2018 Carvin JonesBorderline (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Tue 29th Jan 2019 Aynsley Lister, Blues Night100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets