Blues Maestro Sherman Robertson live at Monroe's Bar - 18th April 09
One of the star turns at Maryport Blues Festival 2008, Sherman Robertson returns to the county in April for an intimate, in your face show at Monroe's Bar, Workington.
Already considered a young master of zydeco, hard-swinging Texas electric blues, R&B and swampy Louisiana blues. Robertson often surprises audiences with his ability to play R&B, zydeco and blues with a rock edge.
Considered by legendary blues label Alligator Records president, Bruce Iglauer, to have the same plain physical showmanship of the late great Albert Collins, Robertson is regarded as one of the finest Texas style bluesman treading the boards.
Sherman was born in Beaux Bridge, Louisiana and raised in Houston, Texas. Robertson quickly earned a local reputation as a very good guitarist. While still in high school Robertson was recruited by his music teacher, Conrad Johnson, to play in his popular group, Connie's Combo (and otherwise adult band). As a teenager in the late 1960's, he spent six weeks on the road as lead guitarist with blues superstar Bobby "Blue" Bland and also backed Junior Parker. That gave Sherman the incentive to form his own band, Sherman Robertson and the Crosstown Blues Band with whom he recorded two albums on the Lunar II label. During the 1970's, Robertson was content playing weekends while raising a family and holding down a "regular" job until Clifton Chenier, " the King Of Zydeco," asked him to do some dates with his band. Those few dates turned into 5 years, as Robertson toured Europe and U.S. with Chenier. He then joined Terrance Simien's hot, then young zydeco band, briefly playing with Rockin' Dopsie, Johnny Clyde Copeland and several other well-known artists.
The word on Robertson's talent began to spread. Paul Simon needed a guitar player to add some sounds to his Graceland album and he chose Robertson. Soon after, legendary British producer Mike Vernon (John Mayall's Bluebreakers with Eric Clapton, Freddie King, Fleetwood Mac, David Bowie) signed Robertson to Atlantic Records. Robertson's first solo recording, 1993's I'm The Man (Atlantic1994), was nominated for a W.C. Handy Award.
His second Atlantic release, Here And Now, was released in 1996 to more critical acclaim. But convinced he would have more promotional support and artistic freedom from an independent label, Robertson weighed his options.
In early 1998, producer Joe Harley, with the help of Robertson's manager, Catherine Bauer, assembled a first class backup band for a project for the AudioQuest label, including two charter members of Little Feat, keyboardist Bill Payne and drummer Richie Hayward. They all gathered at Ocean Way Recording in Hollywood for the sessions that resorted in the album, Going Back Home. Blues Revue loved the release. "Potent singing and sizzling guitar...Robertson is unstoppable."
November 2005 saw him tour extensively as Sherman Robertson & BluesMove. Sherman Robertson's latest CD Guitar Man - Live was released in 2006.
You may be interested in
- Fri 28th Dec 2018 Stan Webb's Chicken Shack, Stan Webb100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Mon 14th Jan 2019 London Blues Week, Marcus Bonfanti, Chantel McGregor100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Thu 17th Jan 2019 London Blues Week, Sugaray Rayford, Jo Harman: Sugaray Rayford100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Thu 17th Jan 2019 Delilah MontaguChurch of St Stephen and St Thomas (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th Jan 2019 London Blues Week, Sharrie Williams, Sari Schorr, Lisa Mills: Ladies Sing The Blues100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th Jan 2019 Sugaray RayfordCaroline Street Social Club/ Live Room (Shipley)Buy Tickets
- Tue 22nd Jan 2019 Lisa MillsRobin (Wolverhampton)Buy Tickets
- Tue 29th Jan 2019 Aynsley Lister, Blues Night100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Tue 29th Jan 2019 Celtic Connections, Gretchen PetersThe King's Theatre (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Fri 1st Feb 2019 Gerry Jablonski And The Electric BandDreadnought Rock (Bathgate)Buy Tickets
- Wed 20th Feb 2019 and Sat 14th Dec 2019 Aynsley ListerBuy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Feb 2019 Stan Webb's Chicken ShackThe Flowerpot (Derby)Buy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Feb 2019 and Sun 24th Feb 2019 The Guitar ShowBuy Tickets
- Fri 1st Mar 2019 and Sat 2nd Mar 2019 Dave ArcariBuy Tickets
- Fri 15th Mar 2019 to Wed 27th Mar 2019 Joanne Shaw TaylorBuy Tickets
- Mon 18th Mar 2019 to Thu 28th Mar 2019 Erja LyytinenBuy Tickets
- Thu 21st Mar 2019 to Thu 28th Mar 2019 Ian SiegalBuy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Mar 2019 and Sat 23rd Mar 2019 Henrik FreischladerBuy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Mar 2019 Kirk FletcherBorderline (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Mar 2019 Bernard AllisonWorthing Pier (Worthing)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Mar 2019 to Mon 25th Mar 2019 Matt AndersenBuy Tickets
- Sat 30th Mar 2019 Chelsea Blues Festival: Stevie Nimmo, Martin BarreUnder the Bridge (Fulham)Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Apr 2019 and Sat 20th Apr 2019 Billy Walton BandBuy Tickets
- Fri 12th Apr 2019 to Fri 29th Nov 2019 Chantel McGregorBuy Tickets
- Wed 17th Apr 2019 to Fri 22nd Nov 2019 Gretchen PetersBuy Tickets
- Mon 22nd Apr 2019 to Fri 26th Apr 2019 Joe BonamassaBuy Tickets
- Fri 26th Apr 2019 The Marcus Malone Band, Innes Sibun, Chris King RobinsonThe Platform (Morecambe)Buy Tickets
- Fri 3rd May 2019 to Sat 11th May 2019 Ana PopovicBuy Tickets
- Tue 7th May 2019 to Sun 19th May 2019 Samantha FishBuy Tickets
- Sat 11th May 2019 Lincoln Blues, Rhythm and Rock Festival: The Blockheads, Stevie Nimmo, Elles BaileyDrill Hall (Lincoln)Buy Tickets
- Mon 13th May 2019 to Thu 16th May 2019 Eric ClaptonBuy Tickets
- Fri 17th May 2019 Sonja Kristina, Norman Beaker BandThe Platform (Morecambe)Buy Tickets
- Thu 23rd May 2019 Stevie NimmoRobin (Wolverhampton)Buy Tickets
- Tue 4th Jun 2019 Rockin' the Blues: Jonny Lang, Walter TroutO2 Forum (Kentish Town)Buy Tickets
- Tue 25th Jun 2019 and Wed 26th Jun 2019 Watermelon SlimBuy Tickets