Blues Maestro Sherman Robertson live at Monroe's Bar - 18th April 09
One of the star turns at Maryport Blues Festival 2008, Sherman Robertson returns to the county in April for an intimate, in your face show at Monroe's Bar, Workington.
Already considered a young master of zydeco, hard-swinging Texas electric blues, R&B and swampy Louisiana blues. Robertson often surprises audiences with his ability to play R&B, zydeco and blues with a rock edge.
Considered by legendary blues label Alligator Records president, Bruce Iglauer, to have the same plain physical showmanship of the late great Albert Collins, Robertson is regarded as one of the finest Texas style bluesman treading the boards.
Sherman was born in Beaux Bridge, Louisiana and raised in Houston, Texas. Robertson quickly earned a local reputation as a very good guitarist. While still in high school Robertson was recruited by his music teacher, Conrad Johnson, to play in his popular group, Connie's Combo (and otherwise adult band). As a teenager in the late 1960's, he spent six weeks on the road as lead guitarist with blues superstar Bobby "Blue" Bland and also backed Junior Parker. That gave Sherman the incentive to form his own band, Sherman Robertson and the Crosstown Blues Band with whom he recorded two albums on the Lunar II label. During the 1970's, Robertson was content playing weekends while raising a family and holding down a "regular" job until Clifton Chenier, " the King Of Zydeco," asked him to do some dates with his band. Those few dates turned into 5 years, as Robertson toured Europe and U.S. with Chenier. He then joined Terrance Simien's hot, then young zydeco band, briefly playing with Rockin' Dopsie, Johnny Clyde Copeland and several other well-known artists.
The word on Robertson's talent began to spread. Paul Simon needed a guitar player to add some sounds to his Graceland album and he chose Robertson. Soon after, legendary British producer Mike Vernon (John Mayall's Bluebreakers with Eric Clapton, Freddie King, Fleetwood Mac, David Bowie) signed Robertson to Atlantic Records. Robertson's first solo recording, 1993's I'm The Man (Atlantic1994), was nominated for a W.C. Handy Award.
His second Atlantic release, Here And Now, was released in 1996 to more critical acclaim. But convinced he would have more promotional support and artistic freedom from an independent label, Robertson weighed his options.
In early 1998, producer Joe Harley, with the help of Robertson's manager, Catherine Bauer, assembled a first class backup band for a project for the AudioQuest label, including two charter members of Little Feat, keyboardist Bill Payne and drummer Richie Hayward. They all gathered at Ocean Way Recording in Hollywood for the sessions that resorted in the album, Going Back Home. Blues Revue loved the release. "Potent singing and sizzling guitar...Robertson is unstoppable."
November 2005 saw him tour extensively as Sherman Robertson & BluesMove. Sherman Robertson's latest CD Guitar Man - Live was released in 2006.
You may be interested in
- Fri 21st Sep 2018 to Fri 12th Apr 2019 Chantel McGregorBuy Tickets
- Wed 26th Sep 2018 Watermelon SlimThe Blues Kitchen (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Mon 1st Oct 2018 to Tue 16th Oct 2018 Joanne Shaw TaylorBuy Tickets
- Sat 6th Oct 2018 to Fri 23rd Nov 2018 Stevie NimmoBuy Tickets
- Thu 11th Oct 2018 and Fri 22nd Feb 2019 Stan Webb's Chicken ShackBuy Tickets
- Thu 11th Oct 2018 to Tue 13th Nov 2018 Catfish KeithBuy Tickets
- Thu 11th Oct 2018 to Fri 26th Apr 2019 Joe BonamassaBuy Tickets
- Sat 13th Oct 2018 and Sun 14th Oct 2018 Corky Laing, Chantel McGregor, Stevie Nimmo, Zoë Schwar...: Clitheroe BluesBuy Tickets
- Mon 15th Oct 2018 to Mon 29th Oct 2018 Robert Cray BandBuy Tickets
- Thu 25th Oct 2018 to Sun 28th Oct 2018 The Marcus King BandBuy Tickets
- Sat 27th Oct 2018 BluesFest, Robert Cray Band, Don Bryant, The Bo-KeysIndigo at the O2 (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Nov 2018 and Sat 10th Nov 2018 Stephen Dale PetitBuy Tickets
- Mon 5th Nov 2018 and Sun 11th Nov 2018 Danny BryantBuy Tickets
- Tue 6th Nov 2018 to Thu 28th Mar 2019 Erja LyytinenBuy Tickets
- Wed 7th Nov 2018 and Fri 9th Nov 2018 Billy Walton BandBuy Tickets
- Wed 7th Nov 2018 to Fri 14th Dec 2018 Aynsley ListerBuy Tickets
- Thu 8th Nov 2018 to Wed 14th Nov 2018 Carvin JonesBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Nov 2018 to Wed 21st Nov 2018 Seasick SteveBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Nov 2018 Bude Blues Festival, Focus, Thorbjorn Risager and the Black ...Penstowe Manor (Bude)More Info..
- Mon 19th Nov 2018 to Wed 28th Nov 2018 Lee Ainley's Blues Storm, Eliana CargneluttiBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Nov 2018 Krissy MatthewsThe Bullingdon/ Haven (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Nov 2018 and Fri 30th Nov 2018 Dave ArcariBuy Tickets
- Sat 24th Nov 2018 and Sun 25th Nov 2018 Eliana CargneluttiBuy Tickets
- Sun 25th Nov 2018 to Thu 29th Nov 2018 Walter TroutBuy Tickets
- Fri 7th Dec 2018 and Sat 8th Dec 2018 Ian SiegalBuy Tickets
- Mon 14th Jan 2019 London Blues Week, Marcus Bonfanti, Chantel McGregor100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Thu 17th Jan 2019 Delilah MontaguChurch of St Stephen and St Thomas (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Tue 29th Jan 2019 Aynsley Lister, Blues Night100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Feb 2019 and Sun 24th Feb 2019 The Guitar ShowBuy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Mar 2019 Henrik FreischladerUnder the Bridge (Fulham)Buy Tickets