Planning your Valentine's 2009 night out in London's West End
Yes, the time is almost upon us where singletons cringe at the thought of VD (that's Valentine's Day - ahem!), but delight at the fact that friends in a relationship have to hurriedly prepare something for their partners.
There are lots of shows and gigs this Valentines day, falling as it conveniently does on a Saturday, opening-up the chance of daytime or night-time events.
As you can well imagine, a number of the prominent - romance-related West End shows have already sold out (don't you just hate organised people), but there are still a few gems available, including the special Valentine's Day charity gala performance (proceeds to Capital Radio's Help a London Child) of the smash hit Dirty Dancing - but those tickets don't come cheap, at £100-£150 a pop (ouch!).
For the less well-healed, there is: Chicago the Musical (£28.50 - £75), Billy Elliot the Musical (£63.50), Entertaining Mr Sloane (featuring Gavin and Stacey's Matthew Horne - £45), Hairspray (£64.50 & £85), Grease featuring Jimmy Osmond (£58.85).
Not really a romatically-themed night, but a crowd-pleaser none-the-less is Cirque du Soleil's Quidam at the Royal Albert Hall (£45 - £69.50). In a similar vein is Canadian circus troupe The 7 Fingers (Les 7 Doigts de la Main), who perform their popular show 'Traces' at the Peacock theatre - tickets cost £36.
Surprisingly, La Cage aux Folles, featuring Graham Norton still has some tickets available on 14th Feb (£43.45), as does Craig Revel Horwood's adaptation of Andrew Lloyd Webber's 'Sunset Boulevard' (£54), Touched... for the Very First Time - Zoe Lewis' funny one-woman play about a Madonna-obsessed fan (£22.50). 'This isn't Romance' by award-winning Korean writer In-Sook Chapell - a tale of Identity, sex and twisted revenge is an alternative way to spend Valentine's day....
For the cultured amongst you, the London Coliseum is staging Mozart's opera 'The Magic Flute' by the English National Opera. Tickets range from £45 to £84.
At Bush Hall, we have another one which will not necessarily please the missus, but is sure to please the guys: "Valentines Varie-tease" - part of the London Burlesque Festival. Tickets cost £18.50.
For a swashbuckling Valentine's Day, try Zorro the Musical, featuring the music of the Gipsy Kings, choreographed by internationally renowned Spanish choreographer Rafael Amargo and RSC associate stage designer Tom Piper. Tickets cost between £40 and £50.
Outside of the West End, but still in London are (appropriately): Casanova the Musical, based on the life of womaniser Giacomo Casanova... guys: just don't get any ideas! Tickets range from £15 - £23). Back on the love theme, we have Shakespeare's classic 'Romeo and Juliet' at Space in the Docklands, produced by Admiration Theatre.
For events outside of London, try clicking on the 'Valentines Day Shows' link in the sidebar to the right. You can filter these results by region to narrow-down the list.
- Thu 23rd Apr 2020 to Sun 19th Jul 2020 HairsprayBuy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Tue 21st May 2019 WickedApollo Victoria (Pimlico)Buy Tickets
- Tue 21st May 2019 Matilda the MusicalCambridge Theatre (Covent Garden)Buy Tickets
- Tue 21st May 2019 and Wed 22nd May 2019 Magic Mike LiveBuy Tickets
- Tue 21st May 2019 and Wed 22nd May 2019 The Woman in BlackBuy Tickets
- Tue 21st May 2019 Come From AwayPhoenix Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Tue 21st May 2019 Dolly Parton's 9 to 5 the MusicalSavoy Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Tue 21st May 2019 and Wed 22nd May 2019 Mamma Mia!Buy Tickets
- Tue 21st May 2019 and Wed 22nd May 2019 WaitressBuy Tickets
- Tue 21st May 2019 Tina - The Tina Turner MusicalAldwych Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Tue 21st May 2019 Beats on Pointe: Masters of ChoreographyPeacock Theatre (Covent Garden)Buy Tickets
- Tue 21st May 2019 and Wed 22nd May 2019 Thriller LiveBuy Tickets
- Tue 21st May 2019 The MousetrapSt Martin's Theatre (Covent Garden)Buy Tickets
- Tue 21st May 2019 Disney Presents the Lion KingLyceum Theatre (Covent Garden)Buy Tickets
- Tue 21st May 2019 and Wed 22nd May 2019 Disney presents AladdinBuy Tickets
- Tue 21st May 2019 Les MisérablesQueen's Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Tue 21st May 2019 The Phantom of the OperaHer Majesty's Theatre (Pimlico)Buy Tickets
- Tue 21st May 2019 HamiltonVictoria Palace Theatre (Pimlico)Buy Tickets
- Tue 21st May 2019 and Wed 22nd May 2019 SIX [show]Buy Tickets
- Tue 21st May 2019 and Wed 22nd May 2019 The War of The WorldsBuy Tickets
- Tue 21st May 2019 The Merry Wives Of WindsorShakespeare's Globe (Southwark)Buy Tickets
- Tue 21st May 2019 and Wed 22nd May 2019 Little Death ClubBuy Tickets
- Tue 21st May 2019 and Wed 22nd May 2019 The Starry MessengerBuy Tickets
- Tue 21st May 2019 The Book of MormonPrince of Wales Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Tue 21st May 2019 and Wed 22nd May 2019 AmourBuy Tickets
- Wed 22nd May 2019 Sh*t-Faced Shakespeare: Taming of the ShrewLeicester Square Theatre (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Wed 22nd May 2019 to Tue 11th Jun 2019 Romeo and Juliet [Kenneth MacMillan]Buy Tickets
- Fri 24th May 2019 to Fri 28th Jun 2019 London Burlesque Festival: Best of the FestBuy Tickets
- Sat 25th May 2019 to Sat 28th Dec 2019 House of BurlesqueBuy Tickets
- Fri 7th Jun 2019 to Thu 26th Sep 2019 The Luna Cinema: HookBuy Tickets
- Fri 14th Jun 2019 Live at Chelsea, Gipsy KingsThe Royal Hospital (Chelsea)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Jul 2019 Apollo Nights, Marc Almond, Immodesty BlaizeEventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Thu 1st Aug 2019 BriefsThe Spiegeltent (Lambeth)Buy Tickets
- Wed 7th Aug 2019 to Fri 30th Aug 2019 Matthew Bourne's Romeo and JulietBuy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Nov 2019 to Sat 28th Mar 2020 & JulietBuy Tickets
- Wed 4th Nov 2020 to Wed 16th Dec 2020 Elton John: Farewell Yellow Brick RoadBuy Tickets