The Pride - InMe Album Review
Turn the volume up for this one. It is a necessity!
For those who are yet to come across InMe, this Essex 4 piece have been hovering for a while, with considerable success without fully breaking into the mainstream, until possibly now. 'The Pride' is their fifth studio album and signals the steady progression that they have made since their debut jaunt 'Overgrown Eden' (2003).
InMe are a British alternative rock band with a unique sound, which is something that has not been compromised in 'The Pride'. Crunching chords, searing guitar solos and great vocals are the constant ingredients of their musical production line, but what I like about them is that once you familiarise yourself with their work, you can distinguish each of their songs as an InMe song, although later work is maybe a little more refined.
With 'The Pride', we are immediately treated to some of this classic equation with 'Reverie Shores'. A steady build up brings us to an 'invincible' chorus, with an anthemic feel. 'Moonlit Seabed' is a real guilty pleasure. This mixed bag gives off some soft intricacy, leading to an electro sound on a platform of metal guitar, a sly intermittent slap bass sound, melting vocals that jump an octave just before a massive finale of guitar and bass drum. I'm sure this song shouldn't work, but it really does.
'Moonlit Seabed' isn't the only track that delves into keyboards and electronics. 'Guardian, A Great Man' and the mystical sounding beginning of 'Silver Womb' all experiment with mixing this with more traditional guitar and drum, but maybe this signifies the progress that InMe have made. Comfortable with their sound yet striving for more, willing to experiment without losing their core, and it's this core sound has seen the band inherit a loyal set of fans. Combined with other solid and catchy numbers like 'Halcyon Genesis', 'Beautiful Sky Gardens' and 'Legacy', this album will only attract more interest into their music.
'Pantheon' is another stand-out track - a good old-fashioned rock song which flows with its predominant bassline throughout the verses, providing a backbone for front-man Dave Macpherson to display more excellent lyrics and his awesome rock singing voice. Both singing and screaming, his very distinguishable tones complement their alternative rock style perfectly.
This album is InMe's first forage into the growing phenomenon of Pledge Music. They are a company that offer the artist more control of their music, encouraging funding from the fans in exchange for unique releases and experiences. InMe donated around 70 incentives to those who pledged, including merchandise, personal rarities, live material and house party gigs. Enough money was raised through this to donate to the Alzheimers Society whilst also giving the band more overall management of their music, and the fans some rare interaction with their heroes.
An excellent album and well worth a purchase. It is on general release now and available on iTunes. InMe are also currently touring the UK promoting 'The Pride'.
You may also be interested in
- Sun 19th May 2013 and Fri 24th May 2013 Rat AttackBuy Tickets
- Thu 23rd May 2013 Allister, Rat AttackBorderline (London)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th May 2013 and Mon 27th May 2013 Slam Dunk Festival 2013, All Time Low, Deaf Havana, Four Yea...Buy Tickets
- Sun 26th May 2013 Slam Dunk Festival 2013, All Time Low, Deaf Havana, Four Yea...Forum/ Attic [University of Hertfordshire] (Hatfield)Buy Tickets
- Sun 26th May 2013 BBC Radio 1's Big Weekend 2013, Bruno Mars, Paramore, 30 Sec...Banks of the River Foyle (Londonderry)Buy Tickets
- Wed 29th May 2013 Polar Bear Club, Landscapes, Me vs HeroIvory Blacks (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Thu 30th May 2013 StagecoachWest End Centre (Aldershot)Buy Tickets
- Fri 31st May 2013 Tall Ships, StagecoachBuffalo Bar (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Jun 2013 Forbidden Fruit 2013, Kasabian, Crystal Castles, James Blake...Royal Hospital Kilmainham (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Jun 2013 Crooked Ways 2013, The Enemy, Grandmaster Flash, Peter Hook,...Pontefract Park (West Yorkshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Jun 2013 to Sat 27th Jul 2013 Dave McPhersonBuy Tickets
- Sat 1st Jun 2013 The Physics House BandBrudenell Social (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Jun 2013 Big Country, Dave McPhersonThe Forum (Kentish Town)Buy Tickets
- Thu 6th Jun 2013 to Thu 1st Aug 2013 Funeral for a FriendBuy Tickets
- Fri 7th Jun 2013 Funeral for a Friend, EmpressThe Boileroom (Guildford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Jun 2013 Long Division Festival 2013, The Fall, Ghostpoet, Howard Mar...Various Wakefield Venues (Wakefield)Buy Tickets
- Mon 10th Jun 2013 ChildhoodCorsica Studios (London)Buy Tickets
- Wed 12th Jun 2013 Wet NunsHoxton Square Bar and Kitchen (Shoreditch)Buy Tickets
- Fri 14th Jun 2013 Download 2013, Slipknot, Bullet for my Valentine, Korn, Down...Donington Park - Castle Donington (Derbyshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Jun 2013 Download 2013, Iron Maiden, Queens of the Stone Age, Mot&oum...Donington Park - Castle Donington (Derbyshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Jun 2013 to Thu 18th Jul 2013 Fight Like ApesBuy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Jun 2013 and Sun 23rd Jun 2013 Funeral for a Friend, MarmozetsBuy Tickets
- Fri 28th Jun 2013 Glastonbury 2013, Arctic Monkeys, Dizzee Rascal, The Vaccine...Worthy Farm (Somerset)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Jun 2013 to Thu 3rd Oct 2013 Jim Lockey and the Solemn SunBuy Tickets
- Sun 30th Jun 2013 Hard Rock Calling 2013, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street B...Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park (Newham)Buy Tickets
- Thu 4th Jul 2013 Anti-Flag, Sharks, GnarwolvesElectric Ballroom (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Thu 11th Jul 2013 2000 Trees Festival 2013, Future of the Left, The Xcerts, Ga...Upcote Farm (Cheltenham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 13th Jul 2013 2000 Trees Festival 2013, Mystery Jets, Stornoway, We are th...Upcote Farm (Cheltenham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 13th Jul 2013 TOY, Wet Nuns, Scott and Charlene's WeddingVarious Shoreditch venues (London)Buy Tickets
- Sat 13th Jul 2013 Park Bench SocietyThe Rescue Rooms (Nottingham)Buy Tickets
- Thu 18th Jul 2013 Benicàssim 2013, Queens of the Stone Age, Beach House...Recinto de Conciertos (Benicasim)Buy Tickets