Stay + Live Review @ The Victoria (Dalston) (London) - 30 Jun 2011
Who are Stay+ ? Well, they were, until a couple of weeks ago, known as Christian AIDS until forced by the charity known as Christian Aid into a change of name. And they hail from Manchester. Much more than that you'll be hard pressed to find. Even as to who the collective is made up of is shrouded in mystery, although rumours of DJ Matt 'Kid' Farthing's (formerly of Run Toto Run, the Manc electro-pop trio) involvement appears to be the case. But even after their debut London appearance tonight, one is not much wiser.
But whether they are called Christian AIDS or Stay+ (or simply Stay, or even Stay Positive, which have also been variously used - nothing like a good puzzle), they also happen to be bloody good. And if you think that two blokes sampling techno drum beats for 45 minutes may border on the boring (unless on copious amounts of ecstasy), you would be very wrong.
Likened to Crystal Castles, their stage presence is no less than a sensory exploration of sound and visuals that incorporates film video images (such as their 'terrorist attack' take of the royal wedding that accompanies 'Young Luv') as a three screen backdrop to a 'motionless choir' troupe of four people who stand front of stage for the duration - each bearing black tees that spell out 'S-T-A-Y' - and a male and female vocalist providing alternate vocals. The latter excels on 'Fever'; her haunting tone on the repeated 'fever...fever' cutting right to the bones of you, before the song crashes into a electro jangle of clashing soundwaves. Mr Vocal, meanwhile, who has begun the night standing in the front row filming the crowd, then took to the stage at various points - including 'Young Luv' - to provide a deeper resonance; culminating with their 'Stay Positive' signature track, most of which is conducted whilst he mingles on the floor amidst the punters, urging them to 'follow your dreams'. The rapt applause at the end of this, the last of their set. Justified what had been a show of enigmatic, brooding class.
Stay+ are not so much a band, more a live performance art installation. This was not so much a mere gig, as an experience. And one not to be missed whenever they should head your way.
You may be interested in
- Fri 24th May 2013 BBC Radio 1's Big Weekend 2013, Calvin Harris, Chase and Sta...Banks of the River Foyle (Londonderry)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th May 2013 Love Saves The Day 2013, Bonobo, AlunaGeorge, A*M*E, Bicep, ...Castle Park (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th May 2013 We Are FSTVL, Sven Väth, Ricardo Villalobos, Martinez, ...Damyns Hall Aerodrome (Essex)Buy Tickets
- Sun 26th May 2013 Evolution Festival 2013, The Vaccines, Ellie Goulding, Rudim...Spillers Wharf (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Mon 27th May 2013 Evolution Festival 2013, Paloma Faith, Jake Bugg, Bastille, ...Spillers Wharf (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Jun 2013 Black Butter RecordsOval Space (Bethnal Green)Buy Tickets
- Sun 9th Jun 2013 The Parklife Weekender 2013, Example, Rita Ora, Rudimental, ...Heaton Park (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sun 9th Jun 2013 Capital FM Summertime Ball 2013, Robbie Williams, Taylor Swi...Wembley Stadium (Wembley)Buy Tickets
- Sun 16th Jun 2013 Isle of Wight Festival 2013, Bon Jovi, The Script, Paloma Fa...Seaclose Park (Newport [Isle of Wight])Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Jun 2013 High Definition Festival 2013, Labrinth, Ms Dynamite, Dot Ro...Forest Farm (Ilford)Buy Tickets
- Fri 12th Jul 2013 to Sun 14th Jul 2013 NASS Festival 2013Buy Tickets
- Thu 18th Jul 2013 Benicàssim 2013, Queens of the Stone Age, Beach House...Recinto de Conciertos (Benicasim)Buy Tickets
- Fri 19th Jul 2013 Lovebox 2013, Azealia Banks, Flying Lotus, Jurassic 5, Rudim...Victoria Park (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Thu 8th Aug 2013 and Fri 9th Aug 2013 Lulu JamesBuy Tickets
- Tue 8th Oct 2013 to Sat 19th Oct 2013 RudimentalBuy Tickets