Sing It Loud ft. The Siss Boom Bang - k.d. lang Album Review
Never mind Rumer and Adele, excellent crooners and yelpers they may be, but Lang is the real deal, no question. "Sing It Loud" ends a drought of band involvement which previously ended with the early trio of exploratory country albums in the late '80s, all recorded with The Reclines. After racking up a string of hit solo albums, initially sparked by the Grammy-supplying "Ingenue" in 1992, Lang's star has burnt oh so very brightly, strengthened by the 2008 set "Watershed", a Top 40 album in the UK. This album heralds her first return in 20 years with a backing band, not that you'd notice much of a difference.
Strangely, this album's cover, featuring Lang bellowing into a conical megaphone and featuring splatter-fonts of "Sing It Loud", is grossly misleading. I was expecting the Canadian singer to go all rock and roll on our asses - instead, this is the pure classic balladeering and vocalising we've come to expect from Lang - and for the most part, it's as sumptuous and addictive as gooey chocolate mousse.
"I Confess" is the lead track and the first single, one of a few co-written with band-members Daniel Clarke and Joshua Grange and as strong a track as you could wish for, although possibly not the strongest tune on the album. That award goes to the spine-tingling "Perfect Word", carelessly offered as a free download on her website - dur, hello! This song is good enough to halt traffic and unite war-zones in my humble stupidity, so quite why you'd fling it for free is beyond me.
But, there is also the title track which, despite the incessant repetition of its title in the chorus, is as worthy as anything on "Ingenue", while "Inglewood" is a plaintive and reflective Americana hymn, dressed up with pedal-steel guitar and a graceful, almost gospel, refrain. In fact, much of this 10-song selection feels like a back-to-basics approach, lightly seasoned with to-die-for arrangements, with few failures.
I'm slightly undecided about the song "Heaven" or, more to the point, the cover of it. As a Talking Heads song, extracted from their triumphant "Fear Of Music" album, it's a mildly typical Byrne-esque dream-piece of what the world up-above might be like. Lang has slowed it down to a mercurial and funereal pace, beautifully sung and exquisitely scored, yet I want it to be a bit more celestial, more flamboyant - and I guess that is where this entire album occasionally falls down.
"Sing It Loud" doesn't leap out of the speakers, it doesn't fire up the mirrorball and it doesn't quite have the blissful and shimmering hedonism of her previous solo works, but it does ooze the typical languid Lang shang-a-lang and deft arrangements that we've all become used to. Not a triumphant return, but an absorbing one.
You may be interested in
- Wed 19th Jun 2013 to Thu 27th Jun 2013 Elvis CostelloBuy Tickets
- Wed 19th Jun 2013 to Thu 11th Jul 2013 Rod Stewart, MoyaBuy Tickets
- Wed 19th Jun 2013 to Fri 5th Jul 2013 Robbie Williams, Olly MursBuy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Jun 2013 and Sun 23rd Jun 2013 Hampton Court Palace Festival 2013, Cliff RichardBuy Tickets
- Sun 23rd Jun 2013 Live at the Marquee, Elton JohnMarquee (Cork)Buy Tickets
- Wed 26th Jun 2013 Live at the Marquee, Elvis CostelloMarquee (Cork)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Jun 2013 Glastonbury 2013, The Rolling Stones, Primal Scream, Hurts, ...Worthy Farm (Somerset)Buy Tickets
- Sun 30th Jun 2013 Glastonbury 2013, Mumford and Sons, Nick Cave and the Bad Se...Worthy Farm (Somerset)Buy Tickets
- Mon 1st Jul 2013 to Mon 22nd Jul 2013 The Smashing PumpkinsBuy Tickets
- Thu 4th Jul 2013 Scritti Politti, Butcher Boy, Trapped Mice229 the venue - Great Portland Street (London)Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Jul 2013 Eurockéennes de Belfort 2013, The Smashing Pumpkins, ...Belfort (France)Buy Tickets
- Fri 12th Jul 2013 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park 2013, Elton Joh...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Sat 13th Jul 2013 Forestry Commission Live Music 2013, Elvis CostelloThetford Forest (Suffolk)Buy Tickets
- Sun 4th Aug 2013 Audley End 2013, Michael BallAudley End (Saffron Walden)Buy Tickets
- Wed 4th Sep 2013 Elton JohnFirst Direct Arena (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Tue 17th Sep 2013 to Sat 5th Oct 2013 Rod StewartBuy Tickets
- Wed 13th Nov 2013 Bruce CockburnBush Hall (London)Buy Tickets