Sing It Loud ft. The Siss Boom Bang - k.d. lang Album Review
Never mind Rumer and Adele, excellent crooners and yelpers they may be, but Lang is the real deal, no question. "Sing It Loud" ends a drought of band involvement which previously ended with the early trio of exploratory country albums in the late '80s, all recorded with The Reclines. After racking up a string of hit solo albums, initially sparked by the Grammy-supplying "Ingenue" in 1992, Lang's star has burnt oh so very brightly, strengthened by the 2008 set "Watershed", a Top 40 album in the UK. This album heralds her first return in 20 years with a backing band, not that you'd notice much of a difference.
Strangely, this album's cover, featuring Lang bellowing into a conical megaphone and featuring splatter-fonts of "Sing It Loud", is grossly misleading. I was expecting the Canadian singer to go all rock and roll on our asses - instead, this is the pure classic balladeering and vocalising we've come to expect from Lang - and for the most part, it's as sumptuous and addictive as gooey chocolate mousse.
"I Confess" is the lead track and the first single, one of a few co-written with band-members Daniel Clarke and Joshua Grange and as strong a track as you could wish for, although possibly not the strongest tune on the album. That award goes to the spine-tingling "Perfect Word", carelessly offered as a free download on her website - dur, hello! This song is good enough to halt traffic and unite war-zones in my humble stupidity, so quite why you'd fling it for free is beyond me.
But, there is also the title track which, despite the incessant repetition of its title in the chorus, is as worthy as anything on "Ingenue", while "Inglewood" is a plaintive and reflective Americana hymn, dressed up with pedal-steel guitar and a graceful, almost gospel, refrain. In fact, much of this 10-song selection feels like a back-to-basics approach, lightly seasoned with to-die-for arrangements, with few failures.
I'm slightly undecided about the song "Heaven" or, more to the point, the cover of it. As a Talking Heads song, extracted from their triumphant "Fear Of Music" album, it's a mildly typical Byrne-esque dream-piece of what the world up-above might be like. Lang has slowed it down to a mercurial and funereal pace, beautifully sung and exquisitely scored, yet I want it to be a bit more celestial, more flamboyant - and I guess that is where this entire album occasionally falls down.
"Sing It Loud" doesn't leap out of the speakers, it doesn't fire up the mirrorball and it doesn't quite have the blissful and shimmering hedonism of her previous solo works, but it does ooze the typical languid Lang shang-a-lang and deft arrangements that we've all become used to. Not a triumphant return, but an absorbing one.
You may be interested in
- Wed 23rd Apr 2014 to Mon 5th May 2014 Neil FinnBuy Tickets
- Sat 10th May 2014 and Sun 11th May 2014 Michael BallBuy Tickets
- Tue 13th May 2014 to Mon 26th May 2014 Barry ManilowBuy Tickets
- Fri 16th May 2014 Nerina PallotThe Minack Theatre (Penzance)Buy Tickets
- Sun 25th May 2014 Rock In Rio, Robbie WilliamsParque Da Bela Vista (Lisbon)Buy Tickets
- Thu 29th May 2014 Joseph ArthurDingwalls - Lock 17 (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Thu 5th Jun 2014 and Sat 7th Jun 2014 Cliff RichardBuy Tickets
- Mon 9th Jun 2014 Cliff Richard, Live at the MarqueeMarquee (Cork)Buy Tickets
- Fri 13th Jun 2014 to Sat 12th Jul 2014 Robbie WilliamsBuy Tickets
- Fri 13th Jun 2014 to Sat 21st Jun 2014 Rod StewartBuy Tickets
- Sat 21st Jun 2014 to Tue 9th Dec 2014 Elton JohnBuy Tickets
- Sat 21st Jun 2014 and Sun 22nd Jun 2014 Eric ClaptonBuy Tickets
- Wed 25th Jun 2014 Robert Plant, Sensational Space Shifters, Live at the Marque...Marquee (Cork)Buy Tickets
- Sat 28th Jun 2014 Elton John, Fundraising Event: SportsaidStoke Park Country Club (Buckinghamshire)Buy Tickets
- Sun 29th Jun 2014 Calling Festival, Stevie WonderClapham Common (London)Buy Tickets
- Fri 11th Jul 2014 to Sat 18th Oct 2014 Elvis CostelloBuy Tickets
- Wed 16th Jul 2014 Elvis Costello, Kew the Music 2014Kew Gardens (London)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Aug 2014 Robert Plant, Sensational Space ShiftersGlastonbury Abbey (Glastonbury)Buy Tickets
- Sun 26th Oct 2014 to Thu 30th Oct 2014 Sheryl CrowBuy Tickets
- Wed 29th Oct 2014 BluesFest, Elvis CostelloRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 31st Oct 2014 BluesFest, Sheryl CrowRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets