Kinks/ Kinda Kinks/ The Kink Kontroversey - The Kinks Album Review
The Kinks are set to release seven of their classic albums, with the first three; 'The Kinks', 'Kinda Kinks' and 'The Kink Kontroversey' out now, all mid 60's and their first three albums.
So dusting off my Parka and heading out to check the garage for my scooter (ok, that last bit isn't true, but wished it was) I settled down for a Sixties Mod infused few days, and I wasn't disappointed!
Rather than just plodding through the track listing, as I'm sure all Kinks connoisseurs will know and love these albums already, I need to explain what makes these particular releases special.
Ray Davies will be performing at the Meltdown Festival at the London Royal Festival Hall in June this year and the Cornbury Festival in the Cotswolds (yes, not far from Woodstock!), so what a perfect time to catch up on the old classics, but more importantly (to me anyway) is to get your ears round the early recordings on the Classics!
Rarities, outtakes, demos and session tracks all appear on these brand new double CD deluxe formats. Personally, I've seen these albums re-released previously, digitally re-mastered so you think you know what to expect, yes? Well not for me. Other diehard Kinks enthusiasts I'm sure would agree that the 'extras' on these CD's alone make it worthwhile, especially the BBC Top of the Pops introductions. On 'The Kink Kontroversy' you'll even find some interviews with Ray Davies and Pete Quaife, which I know will not be everyone's idea of good listening on a newly repackages album, but I found these particularly interesting. 'Kinda Kinks' was probably my favourite listening out of the three albums, purely because I wasn't too familiar with it to be honest, apart from the classics, All Day And All Of The Night, Tired Of Waiting For You and Dancing In The Street, but what it really did show me was, how many other bands I listen to today are actually influenced by The Kinks, if they don't really know it, musical progression maybe? (in a good way).
'The Kinks' is just one of those timeless classic albums which I cannot praise high enough and can listen to at any time, so this one was a 'no brainer' for me and loved every minute of it, especially the 'Extras' and can understand why people may ask 'why?' but for any Kinks fan, on listening to this, I'm sure they will agree that it was time well spent!
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
This album was a new 'adventure' for my as it was an album that (ashamedly) slipped under my radar. So you can imagine I was more than pleasantly surprised with the whole feel of this sophomore album, but still think I need a few more listens, but hey, that's a good thing when you find something that you've inadvertently missed. Yes?
Rating: 4 out of 5
The Kinks Kontroversy
I liked this album a lot. As mentioned previously, the Top of the Pops tracks are probably some of my favourites out of all three releases. With tracks like Dedicated Follower of Fashion, I Am Free and Milk Cow Blues I was struggling to take my Parka off and battling to keep my eyes open after my Kinks marathon, but loved every minute of it.
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
You may be interested in
- Thu 26th Nov 2015 to Sun 5th Jun 2016 The SearchersBuy Tickets
- Thu 26th Nov 2015 to Sat 16th Apr 2016 Sunny AfternoonBuy Tickets
- Fri 27th Nov 2015 to Sat 5th Dec 2015 Paul WellerBuy Tickets
- Sat 28th Nov 2015 to Fri 25th Nov 2016 Nine Below ZeroBuy Tickets
- Sat 28th Nov 2015 to Sat 12th Mar 2016 Secret AffairBuy Tickets
- Mon 30th Nov 2015 to Sat 19th Mar 2016 Sensational 60s ExperienceBuy Tickets
- Tue 1st Dec 2015 to Sat 12th Dec 2015 The ZombiesBuy Tickets
- Wed 2nd Dec 2015 to Sat 12th Nov 2016 The DriftersBuy Tickets
- Thu 3rd Dec 2015 Secret Affair, The Chords, The LambrettasThe Brook (Southampton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 4th Dec 2015 to Sat 19th Mar 2016 Kast Off KinksBuy Tickets
- Mon 7th Dec 2015 to Sat 19th Mar 2016 Henry PriestmanBuy Tickets
- Fri 11th Dec 2015 to Sat 18th Jun 2016 The Pretty ThingsBuy Tickets
- Fri 11th Dec 2015 to Sat 26th Mar 2016 The SpitfiresBuy Tickets
- Sat 12th Dec 2015 Kounterfeit KinksThe Forum (Darlington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th Dec 2015 Dave DaviesIslington Assembly Hall [Town Hall] (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 19th Dec 2015 to Mon 22nd Aug 2016 Van MorrisonBuy Tickets
- Sat 19th Dec 2015 to Sun 6th Mar 2016 The Counterfeit SixtiesBuy Tickets
- Tue 22nd Dec 2015 The Tremeloes, Xmas EventThe Apex (Bury St Edmunds)Buy Tickets
- Tue 19th Jan 2016 to Sat 23rd Jan 2016 Lucinda WilliamsBuy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Jan 2016 to Fri 27th May 2016 Chicago Blues BrothersBuy Tickets
- Sat 23rd Jan 2016 to Sun 24th Apr 2016 Colin BlunstoneBuy Tickets
- Sun 7th Feb 2016 The '60s Hits and Laughter Show 2: The Fortunes, The MerseybeatsThe Apex (Bury St Edmunds)Buy Tickets
- Fri 12th Feb 2016 The Downliners Sect100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 13th Feb 2016 The Who: Hits 50!Wembley SSE Arena (Wembley)Buy Tickets
- Sun 14th Feb 2016 and Sun 10th Jul 2016 Raymond FroggattBuy Tickets
- Sat 27th Feb 2016 Secret Affair, The LambrettasThe Venue (formerly TFM Soundworks) (Middlesbrough)Buy Tickets
- Thu 3rd Mar 2016 to Thu 7th Apr 2016 The Three DegreesBuy Tickets
- Sun 6th Mar 2016 to Sat 19th Mar 2016 March of the ModsBuy Tickets
- Sun 13th Mar 2016 to Sun 10th Apr 2016 The HolliesBuy Tickets
- Sun 1st May 2016 and Mon 2nd May 2016 Sister SledgeBuy Tickets
- Fri 6th May 2016 The Lambrettas100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets