Kinks/ Kinda Kinks/ The Kink Kontroversey - The Kinks Album Review
The Kinks are set to release seven of their classic albums, with the first three; 'The Kinks', 'Kinda Kinks' and 'The Kink Kontroversey' out now, all mid 60's and their first three albums.
So dusting off my Parka and heading out to check the garage for my scooter (ok, that last bit isn't true, but wished it was) I settled down for a Sixties Mod infused few days, and I wasn't disappointed!
Rather than just plodding through the track listing, as I'm sure all Kinks connoisseurs will know and love these albums already, I need to explain what makes these particular releases special.
Ray Davies will be performing at the Meltdown Festival at the London Royal Festival Hall in June this year and the Cornbury Festival in the Cotswolds (yes, not far from Woodstock!), so what a perfect time to catch up on the old classics, but more importantly (to me anyway) is to get your ears round the early recordings on the Classics!
Rarities, outtakes, demos and session tracks all appear on these brand new double CD deluxe formats. Personally, I've seen these albums re-released previously, digitally re-mastered so you think you know what to expect, yes? Well not for me. Other diehard Kinks enthusiasts I'm sure would agree that the 'extras' on these CD's alone make it worthwhile, especially the BBC Top of the Pops introductions. On 'The Kink Kontroversy' you'll even find some interviews with Ray Davies and Pete Quaife, which I know will not be everyone's idea of good listening on a newly repackages album, but I found these particularly interesting. 'Kinda Kinks' was probably my favourite listening out of the three albums, purely because I wasn't too familiar with it to be honest, apart from the classics, All Day And All Of The Night, Tired Of Waiting For You and Dancing In The Street, but what it really did show me was, how many other bands I listen to today are actually influenced by The Kinks, if they don't really know it, musical progression maybe? (in a good way).
'The Kinks' is just one of those timeless classic albums which I cannot praise high enough and can listen to at any time, so this one was a 'no brainer' for me and loved every minute of it, especially the 'Extras' and can understand why people may ask 'why?' but for any Kinks fan, on listening to this, I'm sure they will agree that it was time well spent!
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
This album was a new 'adventure' for my as it was an album that (ashamedly) slipped under my radar. So you can imagine I was more than pleasantly surprised with the whole feel of this sophomore album, but still think I need a few more listens, but hey, that's a good thing when you find something that you've inadvertently missed. Yes?
Rating: 4 out of 5
The Kinks Kontroversy
I liked this album a lot. As mentioned previously, the Top of the Pops tracks are probably some of my favourites out of all three releases. With tracks like Dedicated Follower of Fashion, I Am Free and Milk Cow Blues I was struggling to take my Parka off and battling to keep my eyes open after my Kinks marathon, but loved every minute of it.
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
You may be interested in
- Wed 7th Oct 2015 to Sat 16th Apr 2016 Sunny AfternoonBuy Tickets
- Wed 7th Oct 2015 to Sun 15th Nov 2015 DonovanBuy Tickets
- Thu 8th Oct 2015 to Sat 19th Mar 2016 Sensational 60s ExperienceBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Oct 2015 The GB Alternative Music Festival: Buzzcocks, The Fall, The Damned, Neville Staple, Hugh Cornwe...Butlins (Skegness)Buy Tickets
- Fri 9th Oct 2015 to Fri 29th Jan 2016 The Pretty ThingsBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Oct 2015 to Fri 11th Mar 2016 Secret AffairBuy Tickets
- Sat 10th Oct 2015 and Sat 12th Dec 2015 Kounterfeit KinksBuy Tickets
- Thu 15th Oct 2015 to Fri 4th Mar 2016 Kast Off KinksBuy Tickets
- Fri 16th Oct 2015 to Sat 19th Mar 2016 Henry PriestmanBuy Tickets
- Sat 17th Oct 2015 The Yardbirds, Jim McCartyClarendon Hall (Twickenham)Buy Tickets
- Sun 18th Oct 2015 to Sun 6th Mar 2016 The Counterfeit SixtiesBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Oct 2015 to Fri 30th Oct 2015 Bob DylanBuy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Oct 2015 and Fri 12th Feb 2016 The Downliners SectBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Oct 2015 The LambrettasThe Globe (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Oct 2015 to Fri 11th Nov 2016 Nine Below ZeroBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Oct 2015 The ChordsBorderline (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Oct 2015 to Thu 9th Jun 2016 The DriftersBuy Tickets
- Wed 28th Oct 2015 From the Jam, Paul WellerThe Button Factory (Temple Bar)Buy Tickets
- Thu 29th Oct 2015 to Sat 14th May 2016 Chicago Blues BrothersBuy Tickets
- Thu 29th Oct 2015 Georgie FameNells Jazz and Blues (Kensington and Chelsea)More Info..
- Fri 30th Oct 2015 to Mon 6th Jun 2016 The SearchersBuy Tickets
- Sat 31st Oct 2015 The ModsThe Brook (Southampton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 6th Nov 2015 to Fri 11th Dec 2015 The SpitfiresBuy Tickets
- Sat 7th Nov 2015 Sensational 60s Experience, Chris Farlowe, Herman's Hermits,...City Hall (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Sun 8th Nov 2015 BluesFest, Tom Jones, Van MorrisonThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Tue 10th Nov 2015 to Sat 12th Dec 2015 The ZombiesBuy Tickets
- Tue 10th Nov 2015 Tony Blackburn's Soul Night Out, The Three Degrees, Shaun Es...KOKO (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sun 15th Nov 2015 to Sun 20th Dec 2015 Van MorrisonBuy Tickets
- Sun 15th Nov 2015 The KVB, CameraThe Green Door Store (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Mon 16th Nov 2015 to Sat 5th Dec 2015 Paul WellerBuy Tickets
- Thu 3rd Dec 2015 Secret Affair, The Chords, The LambrettasThe Brook (Southampton)Buy Tickets