Kinks/ Kinda Kinks/ The Kink Kontroversey - The Kinks Album Review
The Kinks are set to release seven of their classic albums, with the first three; 'The Kinks', 'Kinda Kinks' and 'The Kink Kontroversey' out now, all mid 60's and their first three albums.
So dusting off my Parka and heading out to check the garage for my scooter (ok, that last bit isn't true, but wished it was) I settled down for a Sixties Mod infused few days, and I wasn't disappointed!
Rather than just plodding through the track listing, as I'm sure all Kinks connoisseurs will know and love these albums already, I need to explain what makes these particular releases special.
Ray Davies will be performing at the Meltdown Festival at the London Royal Festival Hall in June this year and the Cornbury Festival in the Cotswolds (yes, not far from Woodstock!), so what a perfect time to catch up on the old classics, but more importantly (to me anyway) is to get your ears round the early recordings on the Classics!
Rarities, outtakes, demos and session tracks all appear on these brand new double CD deluxe formats. Personally, I've seen these albums re-released previously, digitally re-mastered so you think you know what to expect, yes? Well not for me. Other diehard Kinks enthusiasts I'm sure would agree that the 'extras' on these CD's alone make it worthwhile, especially the BBC Top of the Pops introductions. On 'The Kink Kontroversy' you'll even find some interviews with Ray Davies and Pete Quaife, which I know will not be everyone's idea of good listening on a newly repackages album, but I found these particularly interesting. 'Kinda Kinks' was probably my favourite listening out of the three albums, purely because I wasn't too familiar with it to be honest, apart from the classics, All Day And All Of The Night, Tired Of Waiting For You and Dancing In The Street, but what it really did show me was, how many other bands I listen to today are actually influenced by The Kinks, if they don't really know it, musical progression maybe? (in a good way).
'The Kinks' is just one of those timeless classic albums which I cannot praise high enough and can listen to at any time, so this one was a 'no brainer' for me and loved every minute of it, especially the 'Extras' and can understand why people may ask 'why?' but for any Kinks fan, on listening to this, I'm sure they will agree that it was time well spent!
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
This album was a new 'adventure' for my as it was an album that (ashamedly) slipped under my radar. So you can imagine I was more than pleasantly surprised with the whole feel of this sophomore album, but still think I need a few more listens, but hey, that's a good thing when you find something that you've inadvertently missed. Yes?
Rating: 4 out of 5
The Kinks Kontroversy
I liked this album a lot. As mentioned previously, the Top of the Pops tracks are probably some of my favourites out of all three releases. With tracks like Dedicated Follower of Fashion, I Am Free and Milk Cow Blues I was struggling to take my Parka off and battling to keep my eyes open after my Kinks marathon, but loved every minute of it.
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
You may be interested in
- Thu 17th Apr 2014 to Sat 13th Dec 2014 Secret AffairBuy Tickets
- Fri 18th Apr 2014 to Fri 9th May 2014 The Solid Silver 60s Show, Brian Poole, The Tremeloes, Chris...Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th Apr 2014 Modstock: Brenda Holloway, Mod Night229 the venue - Great Portland Street (London)Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th Apr 2014 The UniversalMoochers (Stourbridge)Buy Tickets
- Sun 20th Apr 2014 to Sat 11th Oct 2014 The TroggsBuy Tickets
- Thu 1st May 2014 to Thu 18th Dec 2014 Dr Feelgood, Nine Below ZeroBuy Tickets
- Sat 3rd May 2014 Laugharne Weekend Festival, John Cooper Clarke, Luke WrightMillennium Hall (Laugharne)Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd May 2014 Laugharne Weekend Festival, Sir Peter BlakeMillennium Hall (Laugharne)Buy Tickets
- Mon 5th May 2014 to Sat 10th May 2014 The SonicsBuy Tickets
- Thu 15th May 2014 Big Boy Bloater, Jo Harman, Nine Below Zero100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 16th May 2014 and Fri 23rd May 2014 Kast Off KinksBuy Tickets
- Sat 17th May 2014 The Counterfeit SixtiesThe Ironworks (Inverness)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th May 2014 and Sun 25th May 2014 Scarborough Mod WeekenderBuy Tickets
- Sun 25th May 2014 and Sat 28th Jun 2014 The LambrettasBuy Tickets
- Thu 29th May 2014 to Sun 8th Jun 2014 Colin BlunstoneBuy Tickets
- Thu 29th May 2014 Rock In Rio, The Rolling StonesParque Da Bela Vista (Lisbon)Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th May 2014 to Fri 14th Nov 2014 Henry PriestmanBuy Tickets
- Fri 30th May 2014 Thunderclap NewmanThe Aquarium (Lowestoft)Buy Tickets
- Fri 30th May 2014 to Sun 1st Jun 2014 Acoustic Festival of BritainBuy Tickets
- Fri 30th May 2014 The FortunesThe Brook (Southampton)Buy Tickets
- Sun 1st Jun 2014 to Sat 22nd Nov 2014 The DriftersBuy Tickets
- Sat 7th Jun 2014 Lunar Festival, Donovan, Temples, Goodnight Lenin, Seeland, ...Umberslade Farm Park (Warwickshire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 13th Jun 2014 to Sat 21st Jun 2014 Rod StewartBuy Tickets
- Sat 14th Jun 2014 to Fri 4th Jul 2014 Paul Weller, Forestry Commission Live MusicBuy Tickets
- Mon 16th Jun 2014 Bob Dylan, Live at the MarqueeMarquee (Cork)Buy Tickets
- Tue 17th Jun 2014 Bob DylanThe O2 (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Jun 2014 and Sat 28th Jun 2014 Paul Weller, Forestry Commission Live Music, TelegramBuy Tickets
- Sat 21st Jun 2014 and Sun 22nd Jun 2014 Eric ClaptonBuy Tickets
- Sat 21st Jun 2014 The ModsThe Brook (Southampton)Buy Tickets
- Tue 24th Jun 2014 Hampton Court Palace Festival, The Beach BoysHampton Court Palace (Kingston upon Thames)Buy Tickets
- Tue 24th Jun 2014 Paul Weller, Tom OdellRoyal Hospital Kilmainham (Dublin)Buy Tickets