Kinks/ Kinda Kinks/ The Kink Kontroversey - The Kinks Album Review
The Kinks are set to release seven of their classic albums, with the first three; 'The Kinks', 'Kinda Kinks' and 'The Kink Kontroversey' out now, all mid 60's and their first three albums.
So dusting off my Parka and heading out to check the garage for my scooter (ok, that last bit isn't true, but wished it was) I settled down for a Sixties Mod infused few days, and I wasn't disappointed!
Rather than just plodding through the track listing, as I'm sure all Kinks connoisseurs will know and love these albums already, I need to explain what makes these particular releases special.
Ray Davies will be performing at the Meltdown Festival at the London Royal Festival Hall in June this year and the Cornbury Festival in the Cotswolds (yes, not far from Woodstock!), so what a perfect time to catch up on the old classics, but more importantly (to me anyway) is to get your ears round the early recordings on the Classics!
Rarities, outtakes, demos and session tracks all appear on these brand new double CD deluxe formats. Personally, I've seen these albums re-released previously, digitally re-mastered so you think you know what to expect, yes? Well not for me. Other diehard Kinks enthusiasts I'm sure would agree that the 'extras' on these CD's alone make it worthwhile, especially the BBC Top of the Pops introductions. On 'The Kink Kontroversy' you'll even find some interviews with Ray Davies and Pete Quaife, which I know will not be everyone's idea of good listening on a newly repackages album, but I found these particularly interesting. 'Kinda Kinks' was probably my favourite listening out of the three albums, purely because I wasn't too familiar with it to be honest, apart from the classics, All Day And All Of The Night, Tired Of Waiting For You and Dancing In The Street, but what it really did show me was, how many other bands I listen to today are actually influenced by The Kinks, if they don't really know it, musical progression maybe? (in a good way).
'The Kinks' is just one of those timeless classic albums which I cannot praise high enough and can listen to at any time, so this one was a 'no brainer' for me and loved every minute of it, especially the 'Extras' and can understand why people may ask 'why?' but for any Kinks fan, on listening to this, I'm sure they will agree that it was time well spent!
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
This album was a new 'adventure' for my as it was an album that (ashamedly) slipped under my radar. So you can imagine I was more than pleasantly surprised with the whole feel of this sophomore album, but still think I need a few more listens, but hey, that's a good thing when you find something that you've inadvertently missed. Yes?
Rating: 4 out of 5
The Kinks Kontroversy
I liked this album a lot. As mentioned previously, the Top of the Pops tracks are probably some of my favourites out of all three releases. With tracks like Dedicated Follower of Fashion, I Am Free and Milk Cow Blues I was struggling to take my Parka off and battling to keep my eyes open after my Kinks marathon, but loved every minute of it.
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
You may be interested in
- Sat 26th Jul 2014 Audley End 2014, Paul WellerAudley End (Saffron Walden)Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th Jul 2014 to Mon 17th Nov 2014 Van MorrisonBuy Tickets
- Wed 30th Jul 2014 and Thu 31st Jul 2014 The Pretty ThingsBuy Tickets
- Fri 8th Aug 2014 to Fri 20th Feb 2015 Kast Off KinksBuy Tickets
- Fri 8th Aug 2014 Hideaway Music Festival, Republica, Eddie and the HotrodsFawley Hill (Henley-on-Thames)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Aug 2014 Hideaway Music Festival, Dreadzone, The Animals and Friends,...Fawley Hill (Henley-on-Thames)Buy Tickets
- Sun 10th Aug 2014 Hideaway Music Festival, Big Country, Megan Henwood, Claire ...Fawley Hill (Henley-on-Thames)Buy Tickets
- Tue 12th Aug 2014 Sister SledgeJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Thu 4th Sep 2014 and Sat 6th Sep 2014 Big Boss ManBuy Tickets
- Sat 6th Sep 2014 to Sat 13th Dec 2014 Secret AffairBuy Tickets
- Sun 7th Sep 2014 to Sun 7th Jun 2015 The DriftersBuy Tickets
- Sun 7th Sep 2014 The Human League, Billy Ocean, Sister Sledge, Jason Donovan,...Norfolk Showground (Norwich)Buy Tickets
- Sun 7th Sep 2014 and Mon 8th Sep 2014 Ray DaviesBuy Tickets
- Wed 17th Sep 2014 to Sat 27th Sep 2014 Joan BaezBuy Tickets
- Wed 17th Sep 2014 to Sun 10th May 2015 The SearchersBuy Tickets
- Fri 19th Sep 2014 The MerseybeatsCavern (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Sep 2014 and Sun 19th Oct 2014 Georgie FameBuy Tickets
- Wed 24th Sep 2014 to Fri 1st May 2015 Nine Below ZeroBuy Tickets
- Thu 2nd Oct 2014 to Fri 14th Nov 2014 Henry PriestmanBuy Tickets
- Fri 3rd Oct 2014 to Tue 18th Nov 2014 Sensational 60s Experience, Marmalade, The Swinging Blue Jea...Buy Tickets
- Sat 4th Oct 2014 and Fri 24th Oct 2014 The Animals and FriendsBuy Tickets
- Sat 4th Oct 2014 to Sat 29th Nov 2014 Sunny AfternoonBuy Tickets
- Wed 8th Oct 2014 to Sat 21st Mar 2015 Sensational 60s ExperienceBuy Tickets
- Thu 9th Oct 2014 to Mon 1st Dec 2014 Sixties GoldBuy Tickets
- Sat 11th Oct 2014 The TroggsWarehouse 23 (Wakefield)Buy Tickets
- Wed 15th Oct 2014 to Sun 19th Apr 2015 The HolliesBuy Tickets
- Thu 23rd Oct 2014 Steve Cropper, The Animals and Friends, The Animals: Steve Cropper & Animals & FriendsRobin 2 (Wolverhampton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th Oct 2014 to Sat 29th Nov 2014 Secret Affair, The LambrettasBuy Tickets
- Tue 28th Oct 2014 BluesFest, Van MorrisonRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Thu 6th Nov 2014 and Sat 8th Nov 2014 Sixties Gold, Gerry and The PacemakersBuy Tickets
- Fri 7th Nov 2014 The ZombiesThe Tithe Barn - Bishop's Cleeve (Tewkesbury)Buy Tickets