Kinks/ Kinda Kinks/ The Kink Kontroversey - The Kinks Album Review
The Kinks are set to release seven of their classic albums, with the first three; 'The Kinks', 'Kinda Kinks' and 'The Kink Kontroversey' out now, all mid 60's and their first three albums.
So dusting off my Parka and heading out to check the garage for my scooter (ok, that last bit isn't true, but wished it was) I settled down for a Sixties Mod infused few days, and I wasn't disappointed!
Rather than just plodding through the track listing, as I'm sure all Kinks connoisseurs will know and love these albums already, I need to explain what makes these particular releases special.
Ray Davies will be performing at the Meltdown Festival at the London Royal Festival Hall in June this year and the Cornbury Festival in the Cotswolds (yes, not far from Woodstock!), so what a perfect time to catch up on the old classics, but more importantly (to me anyway) is to get your ears round the early recordings on the Classics!
Rarities, outtakes, demos and session tracks all appear on these brand new double CD deluxe formats. Personally, I've seen these albums re-released previously, digitally re-mastered so you think you know what to expect, yes? Well not for me. Other diehard Kinks enthusiasts I'm sure would agree that the 'extras' on these CD's alone make it worthwhile, especially the BBC Top of the Pops introductions. On 'The Kink Kontroversy' you'll even find some interviews with Ray Davies and Pete Quaife, which I know will not be everyone's idea of good listening on a newly repackages album, but I found these particularly interesting. 'Kinda Kinks' was probably my favourite listening out of the three albums, purely because I wasn't too familiar with it to be honest, apart from the classics, All Day And All Of The Night, Tired Of Waiting For You and Dancing In The Street, but what it really did show me was, how many other bands I listen to today are actually influenced by The Kinks, if they don't really know it, musical progression maybe? (in a good way).
'The Kinks' is just one of those timeless classic albums which I cannot praise high enough and can listen to at any time, so this one was a 'no brainer' for me and loved every minute of it, especially the 'Extras' and can understand why people may ask 'why?' but for any Kinks fan, on listening to this, I'm sure they will agree that it was time well spent!
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
This album was a new 'adventure' for my as it was an album that (ashamedly) slipped under my radar. So you can imagine I was more than pleasantly surprised with the whole feel of this sophomore album, but still think I need a few more listens, but hey, that's a good thing when you find something that you've inadvertently missed. Yes?
Rating: 4 out of 5
The Kinks Kontroversy
I liked this album a lot. As mentioned previously, the Top of the Pops tracks are probably some of my favourites out of all three releases. With tracks like Dedicated Follower of Fashion, I Am Free and Milk Cow Blues I was struggling to take my Parka off and battling to keep my eyes open after my Kinks marathon, but loved every minute of it.
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
You may be interested in
- Sun 19th Apr 2015 to Thu 10th Sep 2015 The HolliesBuy Tickets
- Mon 20th Apr 2015 to Sat 24th Oct 2015 Sunny AfternoonBuy Tickets
- Thu 23rd Apr 2015 to Sat 29th Aug 2015 Chicago Blues BrothersBuy Tickets
- Thu 23rd Apr 2015 St George's Day Festival: Secret Affair, The Lambrettas, St George's DayThe Guild Hall & Charter Theatre (Preston)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th Apr 2015 and Fri 25th Sep 2015 Gerry MarsdenBuy Tickets
- Sat 25th Apr 2015 to Fri 4th Mar 2016 Kast Off KinksBuy Tickets
- Mon 27th Apr 2015 to Fri 20th Nov 2015 Van MorrisonBuy Tickets
- Fri 1st May 2015 to Sat 19th Dec 2015 Nine Below ZeroBuy Tickets
- Fri 1st May 2015 The Zombies Acoustic: Colin Blunstone, Rod ArgentUnion Chapel (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 2nd May 2015 The Original Blues Brothers BandThe Riverside Bar/ Venue (Selby)Buy Tickets
- Fri 8th May 2015 Nine Below Zero, Dr FeelgoodSub89 [Sub 89] (Reading)Buy Tickets
- Fri 8th May 2015 to Sat 30th May 2015 The LambrettasBuy Tickets
- Sun 10th May 2015 and Thu 26th Nov 2015 The SearchersBuy Tickets
- Thu 14th May 2015 to Sat 23rd May 2015 Eric ClaptonBuy Tickets
- Wed 20th May 2015 to Sun 14th Feb 2016 The DriftersBuy Tickets
- Wed 27th May 2015 to Thu 4th Jun 2015 The Beach BoysBuy Tickets
- Wed 3rd Jun 2015 to Tue 7th Jul 2015 The Three DegreesBuy Tickets
- Mon 15th Jun 2015 Lead Belly Fest: Van Morrison, Eric Burdon, Jools Holland, Gwen Dickey, Paul ...Royal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Thu 18th Jun 2015 The FortunesPavilion Theatre - Exmouth (Devon)Buy Tickets
- Fri 19th Jun 2015 to Sun 20th Sep 2015 Raymond FroggattBuy Tickets
- Sun 21st Jun 2015 and Tue 23rd Jun 2015 The Who: Hits 50Buy Tickets
- Fri 26th Jun 2015 to Wed 8th Jul 2015 Frankie Valli and the Four SeasonsBuy Tickets
- Fri 26th Jun 2015 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, The Who, Paul ...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Fri 26th Jun 2015 and Sat 27th Jun 2015 Stone Valley FestivalBuy Tickets
- Fri 3rd Jul 2015 The OverturesQueens Hall (Nuneaton)Buy Tickets
- Mon 6th Jul 2015 Lunar Festival, Wilko Johnson, Public Service Broadcasting, ...Umberslade Farm Park (Warwickshire)Buy Tickets
- Thu 9th Jul 2015 Live at the Marquee, Van MorrisonMarquee (Cork)Buy Tickets
- Sun 19th Jul 2015 to Sun 9th Aug 2015 The Bootleg SixtiesBuy Tickets
- Wed 22nd Jul 2015 Greenwich Music Time, Tom JonesOld Royal Naval College (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Thu 23rd Jul 2015 Greenwich Music Time, Gipsy KingsOld Royal Naval College (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Fri 24th Jul 2015 Greenwich Music Time, Ray DaviesOld Royal Naval College (Greenwich)Buy Tickets