Kinks/ Kinda Kinks/ The Kink Kontroversey - The Kinks Album Review
The Kinks are set to release seven of their classic albums, with the first three; 'The Kinks', 'Kinda Kinks' and 'The Kink Kontroversey' out now, all mid 60's and their first three albums.
So dusting off my Parka and heading out to check the garage for my scooter (ok, that last bit isn't true, but wished it was) I settled down for a Sixties Mod infused few days, and I wasn't disappointed!
Rather than just plodding through the track listing, as I'm sure all Kinks connoisseurs will know and love these albums already, I need to explain what makes these particular releases special.
Ray Davies will be performing at the Meltdown Festival at the London Royal Festival Hall in June this year and the Cornbury Festival in the Cotswolds (yes, not far from Woodstock!), so what a perfect time to catch up on the old classics, but more importantly (to me anyway) is to get your ears round the early recordings on the Classics!
Rarities, outtakes, demos and session tracks all appear on these brand new double CD deluxe formats. Personally, I've seen these albums re-released previously, digitally re-mastered so you think you know what to expect, yes? Well not for me. Other diehard Kinks enthusiasts I'm sure would agree that the 'extras' on these CD's alone make it worthwhile, especially the BBC Top of the Pops introductions. On 'The Kink Kontroversy' you'll even find some interviews with Ray Davies and Pete Quaife, which I know will not be everyone's idea of good listening on a newly repackages album, but I found these particularly interesting. 'Kinda Kinks' was probably my favourite listening out of the three albums, purely because I wasn't too familiar with it to be honest, apart from the classics, All Day And All Of The Night, Tired Of Waiting For You and Dancing In The Street, but what it really did show me was, how many other bands I listen to today are actually influenced by The Kinks, if they don't really know it, musical progression maybe? (in a good way).
'The Kinks' is just one of those timeless classic albums which I cannot praise high enough and can listen to at any time, so this one was a 'no brainer' for me and loved every minute of it, especially the 'Extras' and can understand why people may ask 'why?' but for any Kinks fan, on listening to this, I'm sure they will agree that it was time well spent!
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
This album was a new 'adventure' for my as it was an album that (ashamedly) slipped under my radar. So you can imagine I was more than pleasantly surprised with the whole feel of this sophomore album, but still think I need a few more listens, but hey, that's a good thing when you find something that you've inadvertently missed. Yes?
Rating: 4 out of 5
The Kinks Kontroversy
I liked this album a lot. As mentioned previously, the Top of the Pops tracks are probably some of my favourites out of all three releases. With tracks like Dedicated Follower of Fashion, I Am Free and Milk Cow Blues I was struggling to take my Parka off and battling to keep my eyes open after my Kinks marathon, but loved every minute of it.
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
You may be interested in
- Sat 14th Dec 2013 to Fri 16th May 2014 Kast Off KinksBuy Tickets
- Tue 17th Dec 2013 to Sat 29th Nov 2014 Nine Below ZeroBuy Tickets
- Thu 19th Dec 2013 and Sat 18th Jan 2014 The ModsBuy Tickets
- Sat 21st Dec 2013 to Thu 30th Jan 2014 Trio ValoreBuy Tickets
- Sat 4th Jan 2014 DonovanINEC - Gleneagle Hotel Killarney (Kerry)Buy Tickets
- Wed 15th Jan 2014 to Tue 18th Feb 2014 Van MorrisonBuy Tickets
- Thu 23rd Jan 2014 and Sat 1st Feb 2014 The Zombies, The Animals and Friends, The Yardbirds, Spencer...Buy Tickets
- Thu 30th Jan 2014 and Fri 30th May 2014 Thunderclap NewmanBuy Tickets
- Wed 19th Feb 2014 Ultimate Rhythm and Blues: The Zombies, The Animals and Friends, The YardbirdsThe Bridgewater Hall (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th Feb 2014 Belfast Nashville Songwriters Festival 2013, DonovanHoliday Inn (Belfast)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Mar 2014 The LambrettasKey West Restaurant (Bournemouth)Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Mar 2014 and Tue 4th Mar 2014 Ray DaviesBuy Tickets
- Fri 7th Mar 2014 to Tue 18th Nov 2014 Sensational 60s Experience, Marmalade, The Swinging Blue Jea...Buy Tickets
- Sun 9th Mar 2014 The ImpressionsIslington Assembly Hall [Town Hall] (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Mar 2014 The FortunesExeter Corn Exchange (St George's Hall) (Exeter)Buy Tickets
- Thu 20th Mar 2014 to Fri 30th May 2014 Henry PriestmanBuy Tickets
- Fri 21st Mar 2014 to Thu 3rd Apr 2014 The Four Tops, The Temptations, The Platters, Freda PayneBuy Tickets
- Fri 21st Mar 2014 The Counterfeit SixtiesWhitley Bay Playhouse (Whitley Bay)Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Mar 2014 Secret AffairThe Fleece (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Mar 2014 and Sun 23rd Mar 2014 The Four Tops, The TemptationsBuy Tickets
- Wed 26th Mar 2014 to Fri 9th May 2014 The Solid Silver 60s Show, Brian Poole, The Tremeloes, Chris...Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th Mar 2014 and Thu 3rd Apr 2014 The SearchersBuy Tickets
- Thu 10th Apr 2014 to Fri 21st Nov 2014 The DriftersBuy Tickets
- Thu 1st May 2014 Dr Feelgood, Nine Below ZeroConcorde 2 (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Sun 8th Jun 2014 Colin BlunstoneRobin 2 (Wolverhampton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 13th Jun 2014 to Sat 21st Jun 2014 Rod StewartBuy Tickets
- Fri 27th Jun 2014 The KinxCavern (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Fri 19th Sep 2014 The MerseybeatsCavern (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Thu 23rd Oct 2014 and Sat 15th Nov 2014 Steve Cropper, The Animals and Friends: Steve Cropper & Animals & FriendsBuy Tickets
- Fri 24th Oct 2014 The Animals and FriendsWest End Centre (Aldershot)Buy Tickets
- Thu 13th Nov 2014 and Thu 20th Nov 2014 Sensational 60s ExperienceBuy Tickets