Kinks/ Kinda Kinks/ The Kink Kontroversey - The Kinks Album Review
The Kinks are set to release seven of their classic albums, with the first three; 'The Kinks', 'Kinda Kinks' and 'The Kink Kontroversey' out now, all mid 60's and their first three albums.
So dusting off my Parka and heading out to check the garage for my scooter (ok, that last bit isn't true, but wished it was) I settled down for a Sixties Mod infused few days, and I wasn't disappointed!
Rather than just plodding through the track listing, as I'm sure all Kinks connoisseurs will know and love these albums already, I need to explain what makes these particular releases special.
Ray Davies will be performing at the Meltdown Festival at the London Royal Festival Hall in June this year and the Cornbury Festival in the Cotswolds (yes, not far from Woodstock!), so what a perfect time to catch up on the old classics, but more importantly (to me anyway) is to get your ears round the early recordings on the Classics!
Rarities, outtakes, demos and session tracks all appear on these brand new double CD deluxe formats. Personally, I've seen these albums re-released previously, digitally re-mastered so you think you know what to expect, yes? Well not for me. Other diehard Kinks enthusiasts I'm sure would agree that the 'extras' on these CD's alone make it worthwhile, especially the BBC Top of the Pops introductions. On 'The Kink Kontroversy' you'll even find some interviews with Ray Davies and Pete Quaife, which I know will not be everyone's idea of good listening on a newly repackages album, but I found these particularly interesting. 'Kinda Kinks' was probably my favourite listening out of the three albums, purely because I wasn't too familiar with it to be honest, apart from the classics, All Day And All Of The Night, Tired Of Waiting For You and Dancing In The Street, but what it really did show me was, how many other bands I listen to today are actually influenced by The Kinks, if they don't really know it, musical progression maybe? (in a good way).
'The Kinks' is just one of those timeless classic albums which I cannot praise high enough and can listen to at any time, so this one was a 'no brainer' for me and loved every minute of it, especially the 'Extras' and can understand why people may ask 'why?' but for any Kinks fan, on listening to this, I'm sure they will agree that it was time well spent!
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
This album was a new 'adventure' for my as it was an album that (ashamedly) slipped under my radar. So you can imagine I was more than pleasantly surprised with the whole feel of this sophomore album, but still think I need a few more listens, but hey, that's a good thing when you find something that you've inadvertently missed. Yes?
Rating: 4 out of 5
The Kinks Kontroversy
I liked this album a lot. As mentioned previously, the Top of the Pops tracks are probably some of my favourites out of all three releases. With tracks like Dedicated Follower of Fashion, I Am Free and Milk Cow Blues I was struggling to take my Parka off and battling to keep my eyes open after my Kinks marathon, but loved every minute of it.
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
You may be interested in
- Fri 14th Mar 2014 to Sat 13th Dec 2014 Secret AffairBuy Tickets
- Sat 15th Mar 2014 The FortunesExeter Corn Exchange (St George's Hall) (Exeter)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Mar 2014 to Fri 23rd May 2014 Kast Off KinksBuy Tickets
- Thu 20th Mar 2014 to Fri 14th Nov 2014 Henry PriestmanBuy Tickets
- Fri 21st Mar 2014 to Thu 3rd Apr 2014 The Four Tops, The Temptations, The Platters, Freda PayneBuy Tickets
- Fri 21st Mar 2014 and Sat 17th May 2014 The Counterfeit SixtiesBuy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Mar 2014 and Sun 23rd Mar 2014 The Four Tops, The TemptationsBuy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Mar 2014 and Fri 27th Jun 2014 The KinxBuy Tickets
- Wed 26th Mar 2014 to Fri 9th May 2014 The Solid Silver 60s Show, Brian Poole, The Tremeloes, Chris...Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th Mar 2014 to Sat 17th Jan 2015 The SearchersBuy Tickets
- Sun 30th Mar 2014 to Mon 30th Jun 2014 Raymond FroggattBuy Tickets
- Fri 4th Apr 2014 to Sun 6th Apr 2014 Laugharne Weekend FestivalBuy Tickets
- Fri 4th Apr 2014 The Sunflower Jam, Deep Purple, Paul Weller, Bruce Dickinson...Royal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 4th Apr 2014 Laugharne Weekend Festival, Arthur SmithMillennium Hall (Laugharne)Buy Tickets
- Fri 4th Apr 2014 Laugharne Weekend Festival, Pete WylieCongregational Church (Laugharne)Buy Tickets
- Fri 4th Apr 2014 Laugharne Weekend Festival, Bob KingdomCongregational Church (Laugharne)Buy Tickets
- Fri 4th Apr 2014 Laugharne Weekend Festival, Scritti PolittiMillennium Hall (Laugharne)Buy Tickets
- Sat 5th Apr 2014 Laugharne Weekend Festival, David Icke, Keith AllenMillennium Hall (Laugharne)Buy Tickets
- Sat 5th Apr 2014 Laugharne Weekend Festival, James YorkstonCongregational Church (Laugharne)Buy Tickets
- Sat 5th Apr 2014 Laugharne Weekend Festival, Robin Ince, Josie LongMillennium Hall (Laugharne)Buy Tickets
- Sun 6th Apr 2014 Laugharne Weekend Festival, Wilko JohnsonMillennium Hall (Laugharne)More Info..
- Sun 6th Apr 2014 Laugharne Weekend Festival, Euros ChildsCongregational Church (Laugharne)Buy Tickets
- Sun 6th Apr 2014 Laugharne Weekend Festival, Phill Jupitus, Luke WrightCongregational Church (Laugharne)Buy Tickets
- Sun 6th Apr 2014 Laugharne Weekend Festival, Ray DaviesMillennium Hall (Laugharne)More Info..
- Sun 6th Apr 2014 Laugharne Weekend Festival, Stuart MaconieCongregational Church (Laugharne)Buy Tickets
- Thu 10th Apr 2014 to Sat 22nd Nov 2014 The DriftersBuy Tickets
- Fri 11th Apr 2014 Dave DaviesBarbican (City of London)Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th Apr 2014 Modstock: Brenda Holloway, Mod Night229 the venue - Great Portland Street (London)Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th Apr 2014 The UniversalMoochers (Stourbridge)Buy Tickets
- Sun 20th Apr 2014 to Sat 11th Oct 2014 The TroggsBuy Tickets
- Thu 1st May 2014 to Thu 18th Dec 2014 Dr Feelgood, Nine Below ZeroBuy Tickets