Kinks/ Kinda Kinks/ The Kink Kontroversey - The Kinks Album Review
The Kinks are set to release seven of their classic albums, with the first three; 'The Kinks', 'Kinda Kinks' and 'The Kink Kontroversey' out now, all mid 60's and their first three albums.
So dusting off my Parka and heading out to check the garage for my scooter (ok, that last bit isn't true, but wished it was) I settled down for a Sixties Mod infused few days, and I wasn't disappointed!
Rather than just plodding through the track listing, as I'm sure all Kinks connoisseurs will know and love these albums already, I need to explain what makes these particular releases special.
Ray Davies will be performing at the Meltdown Festival at the London Royal Festival Hall in June this year and the Cornbury Festival in the Cotswolds (yes, not far from Woodstock!), so what a perfect time to catch up on the old classics, but more importantly (to me anyway) is to get your ears round the early recordings on the Classics!
Rarities, outtakes, demos and session tracks all appear on these brand new double CD deluxe formats. Personally, I've seen these albums re-released previously, digitally re-mastered so you think you know what to expect, yes? Well not for me. Other diehard Kinks enthusiasts I'm sure would agree that the 'extras' on these CD's alone make it worthwhile, especially the BBC Top of the Pops introductions. On 'The Kink Kontroversy' you'll even find some interviews with Ray Davies and Pete Quaife, which I know will not be everyone's idea of good listening on a newly repackages album, but I found these particularly interesting. 'Kinda Kinks' was probably my favourite listening out of the three albums, purely because I wasn't too familiar with it to be honest, apart from the classics, All Day And All Of The Night, Tired Of Waiting For You and Dancing In The Street, but what it really did show me was, how many other bands I listen to today are actually influenced by The Kinks, if they don't really know it, musical progression maybe? (in a good way).
'The Kinks' is just one of those timeless classic albums which I cannot praise high enough and can listen to at any time, so this one was a 'no brainer' for me and loved every minute of it, especially the 'Extras' and can understand why people may ask 'why?' but for any Kinks fan, on listening to this, I'm sure they will agree that it was time well spent!
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
This album was a new 'adventure' for my as it was an album that (ashamedly) slipped under my radar. So you can imagine I was more than pleasantly surprised with the whole feel of this sophomore album, but still think I need a few more listens, but hey, that's a good thing when you find something that you've inadvertently missed. Yes?
Rating: 4 out of 5
The Kinks Kontroversy
I liked this album a lot. As mentioned previously, the Top of the Pops tracks are probably some of my favourites out of all three releases. With tracks like Dedicated Follower of Fashion, I Am Free and Milk Cow Blues I was struggling to take my Parka off and battling to keep my eyes open after my Kinks marathon, but loved every minute of it.
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
You may be interested in
- Wed 27th May 2015 to Thu 4th Jun 2015 The Beach BoysBuy Tickets
- Wed 27th May 2015 to Sat 24th Oct 2015 Sunny AfternoonBuy Tickets
- Sat 30th May 2015 The LambrettasThe Junction [J1/ J2/ J3] (Cambridge)Buy Tickets
- Wed 3rd Jun 2015 to Tue 7th Jul 2015 The Three DegreesBuy Tickets
- Wed 3rd Jun 2015 to Sun 14th Feb 2016 The DriftersBuy Tickets
- Thu 11th Jun 2015 to Thu 29th Oct 2015 Chicago Blues BrothersBuy Tickets
- Sat 13th Jun 2015 and Sun 4th Oct 2015 Sister SledgeBuy Tickets
- Mon 15th Jun 2015 Lead Belly Fest: Van Morrison, Eric Burdon, Jools Holland, Gwen Dickey, Paul ...Royal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Thu 18th Jun 2015 The FortunesPavilion Theatre - Exmouth (Devon)Buy Tickets
- Fri 19th Jun 2015 to Sun 20th Sep 2015 Raymond FroggattBuy Tickets
- Sun 21st Jun 2015 and Tue 23rd Jun 2015 The Who: Hits 50Buy Tickets
- Thu 25th Jun 2015 to Fri 20th Nov 2015 Van MorrisonBuy Tickets
- Fri 26th Jun 2015 to Wed 8th Jul 2015 Frankie Valli and the Four SeasonsBuy Tickets
- Fri 26th Jun 2015 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, The Who, Paul ...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Fri 26th Jun 2015 and Sat 27th Jun 2015 Stone Valley FestivalBuy Tickets
- Thu 2nd Jul 2015 to Fri 4th Mar 2016 Kast Off KinksBuy Tickets
- Fri 3rd Jul 2015 The OverturesQueens Hall (Nuneaton)Buy Tickets
- Sun 5th Jul 2015 Love Supreme Jazz Festival, Van Morrison, Hugh Masekela, Lis...Glynde Place (Lewes)Buy Tickets
- Mon 6th Jul 2015 Lunar Festival, Wilko Johnson, Public Service Broadcasting, ...Umberslade Farm Park (Warwickshire)Buy Tickets
- Mon 6th Jul 2015 The KinxCavern (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Thu 9th Jul 2015 Live at the Marquee, Van MorrisonMarquee (Cork)Buy Tickets
- Sun 19th Jul 2015 to Sun 9th Aug 2015 The Bootleg SixtiesBuy Tickets
- Wed 22nd Jul 2015 and Mon 27th Jul 2015 Greenwich Music Time, Tom JonesBuy Tickets
- Thu 23rd Jul 2015 Greenwich Music Time, Gipsy KingsOld Royal Naval College (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Fri 24th Jul 2015 Greenwich Music Time, Ray DaviesOld Royal Naval College (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Fri 24th Jul 2015 to Sat 19th Mar 2016 Henry PriestmanBuy Tickets
- Fri 24th Jul 2015 to Thu 30th Jul 2015 The SonicsBuy Tickets
- Sat 25th Jul 2015 Greenwich Music Time, George BensonOld Royal Naval College (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th Jul 2015 and Sat 26th Sep 2015 The ModsBuy Tickets
- Fri 7th Aug 2015 and Sat 8th Aug 2015 Ray DaviesBuy Tickets
- Fri 21st Aug 2015 Flashback Festival, Sister Sledge, Boney M, The Real Thing, ...Clumber Park (Worksop)Buy Tickets