Kinks/ Kinda Kinks/ The Kink Kontroversey - The Kinks Album Review
The Kinks are set to release seven of their classic albums, with the first three; 'The Kinks', 'Kinda Kinks' and 'The Kink Kontroversey' out now, all mid 60's and their first three albums.
So dusting off my Parka and heading out to check the garage for my scooter (ok, that last bit isn't true, but wished it was) I settled down for a Sixties Mod infused few days, and I wasn't disappointed!
Rather than just plodding through the track listing, as I'm sure all Kinks connoisseurs will know and love these albums already, I need to explain what makes these particular releases special.
Ray Davies will be performing at the Meltdown Festival at the London Royal Festival Hall in June this year and the Cornbury Festival in the Cotswolds (yes, not far from Woodstock!), so what a perfect time to catch up on the old classics, but more importantly (to me anyway) is to get your ears round the early recordings on the Classics!
Rarities, outtakes, demos and session tracks all appear on these brand new double CD deluxe formats. Personally, I've seen these albums re-released previously, digitally re-mastered so you think you know what to expect, yes? Well not for me. Other diehard Kinks enthusiasts I'm sure would agree that the 'extras' on these CD's alone make it worthwhile, especially the BBC Top of the Pops introductions. On 'The Kink Kontroversy' you'll even find some interviews with Ray Davies and Pete Quaife, which I know will not be everyone's idea of good listening on a newly repackages album, but I found these particularly interesting. 'Kinda Kinks' was probably my favourite listening out of the three albums, purely because I wasn't too familiar with it to be honest, apart from the classics, All Day And All Of The Night, Tired Of Waiting For You and Dancing In The Street, but what it really did show me was, how many other bands I listen to today are actually influenced by The Kinks, if they don't really know it, musical progression maybe? (in a good way).
'The Kinks' is just one of those timeless classic albums which I cannot praise high enough and can listen to at any time, so this one was a 'no brainer' for me and loved every minute of it, especially the 'Extras' and can understand why people may ask 'why?' but for any Kinks fan, on listening to this, I'm sure they will agree that it was time well spent!
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
This album was a new 'adventure' for my as it was an album that (ashamedly) slipped under my radar. So you can imagine I was more than pleasantly surprised with the whole feel of this sophomore album, but still think I need a few more listens, but hey, that's a good thing when you find something that you've inadvertently missed. Yes?
Rating: 4 out of 5
The Kinks Kontroversy
I liked this album a lot. As mentioned previously, the Top of the Pops tracks are probably some of my favourites out of all three releases. With tracks like Dedicated Follower of Fashion, I Am Free and Milk Cow Blues I was struggling to take my Parka off and battling to keep my eyes open after my Kinks marathon, but loved every minute of it.
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
You may be interested in
- Sun 26th May 2013 Eric ClaptonRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Sun 26th May 2013 to Sat 8th Jun 2013 Van MorrisonBuy Tickets
- Mon 27th May 2013 to Sat 29th Jun 2013 Carnaby StreetBuy Tickets
- Wed 29th May 2013 The Animals and Friends, Chris FarloweLeicester Square Theatre (London)Buy Tickets
- Thu 30th May 2013 to Fri 15th Nov 2013 The Animals and FriendsBuy Tickets
- Sat 1st Jun 2013 to Thu 7th Nov 2013 The ZombiesBuy Tickets
- Sat 1st Jun 2013 to Sat 29th Jun 2013 Rod Stewart, MoyaBuy Tickets
- Wed 5th Jun 2013 to Sun 15th Sep 2013 The SearchersBuy Tickets
- Thu 6th Jun 2013 to Thu 5th Dec 2013 The DriftersBuy Tickets
- Fri 7th Jun 2013 Chris Farlowe, Cliff Bennett, New Amen CornerRobin 2 (Wolverhampton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Jun 2013 The Lambrettas100 Club (London)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Jun 2013 to Sun 30th Jun 2013 The WhoBuy Tickets
- Sat 8th Jun 2013 to Sat 14th Dec 2013 Kast Off KinksBuy Tickets
- Fri 14th Jun 2013 Isle of Wight Festival 2013, The Stone Roses, Paul Weller, E...Seaclose Park (Newport [Isle of Wight])Buy Tickets
- Sun 16th Jun 2013 to Fri 21st Jun 2013 Raymond FroggattBuy Tickets
- Mon 17th Jun 2013 to Wed 26th Jun 2013 Frankie Valli and the Four SeasonsBuy Tickets
- Mon 17th Jun 2013 to Thu 27th Jun 2013 Lucinda WilliamsBuy Tickets
- Fri 21st Jun 2013 Hampton Court Palace Festival 2013, Frankie Valli and the Fo...Hampton Court Palace (Kingston upon Thames)Buy Tickets
- Fri 21st Jun 2013 Nine Below Zero, Eddie and the HotrodsThe Garage (Highbury)Buy Tickets
- Thu 27th Jun 2013 to Fri 27th Sep 2013 The Pretty ThingsBuy Tickets
- Thu 27th Jun 2013 to Sun 21st Jul 2013 Paul WellerBuy Tickets
- Fri 28th Jun 2013 Stone Valley Scooter and Music Festival 2013, The Whodlums, ...Stanhope Showground (Durham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Jun 2013 Stone Valley Scooter and Music Festival 2013, The Lambrettas...Stanhope Showground (Durham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Jun 2013 Hard Rock Calling 2013, Kasabian, Paul Weller, Miles Kane, K...Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park (Newham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Jun 2013 The Original Blues Brothers Band, Steve CropperUnder the Bridge (Fulham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Jun 2013 Glastonbury 2013, The Rolling Stones, Primal Scream, Hurts, ...Worthy Farm (Somerset)Buy Tickets
- Sun 30th Jun 2013 Stone Valley Scooter and Music Festival 2013Stanhope Showground (Durham)Buy Tickets
- Sun 30th Jun 2013 Ludlow Arts Festival 2013, The Hollies, The SearchersLudlow Castle (Shropshire)Buy Tickets
- Sun 30th Jun 2013 Glastonbury 2013, Mumford and Sons, Nick Cave and the Bad Se...Worthy Farm (Somerset)Buy Tickets
- Wed 3rd Jul 2013 to Sun 7th Jul 2013 The Three DegreesBuy Tickets
- Fri 5th Jul 2013 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park 2013, Bon Jovi,...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets