Kinks/ Kinda Kinks/ The Kink Kontroversey - The Kinks Album Review
The Kinks are set to release seven of their classic albums, with the first three; 'The Kinks', 'Kinda Kinks' and 'The Kink Kontroversey' out now, all mid 60's and their first three albums.
So dusting off my Parka and heading out to check the garage for my scooter (ok, that last bit isn't true, but wished it was) I settled down for a Sixties Mod infused few days, and I wasn't disappointed!
Rather than just plodding through the track listing, as I'm sure all Kinks connoisseurs will know and love these albums already, I need to explain what makes these particular releases special.
Ray Davies will be performing at the Meltdown Festival at the London Royal Festival Hall in June this year and the Cornbury Festival in the Cotswolds (yes, not far from Woodstock!), so what a perfect time to catch up on the old classics, but more importantly (to me anyway) is to get your ears round the early recordings on the Classics!
Rarities, outtakes, demos and session tracks all appear on these brand new double CD deluxe formats. Personally, I've seen these albums re-released previously, digitally re-mastered so you think you know what to expect, yes? Well not for me. Other diehard Kinks enthusiasts I'm sure would agree that the 'extras' on these CD's alone make it worthwhile, especially the BBC Top of the Pops introductions. On 'The Kink Kontroversy' you'll even find some interviews with Ray Davies and Pete Quaife, which I know will not be everyone's idea of good listening on a newly repackages album, but I found these particularly interesting. 'Kinda Kinks' was probably my favourite listening out of the three albums, purely because I wasn't too familiar with it to be honest, apart from the classics, All Day And All Of The Night, Tired Of Waiting For You and Dancing In The Street, but what it really did show me was, how many other bands I listen to today are actually influenced by The Kinks, if they don't really know it, musical progression maybe? (in a good way).
'The Kinks' is just one of those timeless classic albums which I cannot praise high enough and can listen to at any time, so this one was a 'no brainer' for me and loved every minute of it, especially the 'Extras' and can understand why people may ask 'why?' but for any Kinks fan, on listening to this, I'm sure they will agree that it was time well spent!
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
This album was a new 'adventure' for my as it was an album that (ashamedly) slipped under my radar. So you can imagine I was more than pleasantly surprised with the whole feel of this sophomore album, but still think I need a few more listens, but hey, that's a good thing when you find something that you've inadvertently missed. Yes?
Rating: 4 out of 5
The Kinks Kontroversy
I liked this album a lot. As mentioned previously, the Top of the Pops tracks are probably some of my favourites out of all three releases. With tracks like Dedicated Follower of Fashion, I Am Free and Milk Cow Blues I was struggling to take my Parka off and battling to keep my eyes open after my Kinks marathon, but loved every minute of it.
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
You may be interested in
- Thu 18th Dec 2014 and Fri 8th May 2015 Nine Below Zero, Dr FeelgoodBuy Tickets
- Thu 18th Dec 2014 to Sat 23rd May 2015 Sunny AfternoonBuy Tickets
- Sat 17th Jan 2015 to Sun 10th May 2015 The SearchersBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Jan 2015 to Fri 3rd Jul 2015 The Three DegreesBuy Tickets
- Mon 26th Jan 2015 to Mon 24th Aug 2015 Van MorrisonBuy Tickets
- Fri 30th Jan 2015 to Sat 23rd May 2015 Chicago Blues BrothersBuy Tickets
- Fri 30th Jan 2015 The Yardbirds100 Club (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 6th Feb 2015 Blow Up Club, Big Boss ManSt Moritz (Soho)Buy Tickets
- Fri 6th Feb 2015 to Sat 9th May 2015 The LambrettasBuy Tickets
- Sat 7th Feb 2015 to Sat 24th Oct 2015 Kast Off KinksBuy Tickets
- Sat 7th Feb 2015 and Sat 25th Apr 2015 Gerry Cross the Mersey: Gerry MarsdenBuy Tickets
- Thu 19th Feb 2015 to Thu 18th Jun 2015 The DriftersBuy Tickets
- Wed 4th Mar 2015 to Fri 24th Apr 2015 The HolliesBuy Tickets
- Thu 5th Mar 2015 to Sun 22nd Mar 2015 Paul WellerBuy Tickets
- Fri 6th Mar 2015 to Fri 6th Nov 2015 Sensational 60s ExperienceBuy Tickets
- Fri 13th Mar 2015 The DakotasButlins (Skegness)Buy Tickets
- Sun 22nd Mar 2015 to Tue 23rd Jun 2015 The Who: Hits 50Buy Tickets
- Fri 27th Mar 2015 Big Boss ManCluny (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Sun 29th Mar 2015 to Sun 5th Jul 2015 Raymond FroggattBuy Tickets
- Sun 12th Apr 2015 The Counterfeit SixtiesWhitley Bay Playhouse (Whitley Bay)Buy Tickets
- Sat 18th Apr 2015 to Sat 19th Dec 2015 Nine Below ZeroBuy Tickets
- Thu 14th May 2015 to Sat 23rd May 2015 Eric ClaptonBuy Tickets
- Sun 31st May 2015 The Beach BoysRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Thu 18th Jun 2015 The FortunesPavilion Theatre - Exmouth (Devon)Buy Tickets
- Fri 26th Jun 2015 to Fri 3rd Jul 2015 Frankie Valli and the Four SeasonsBuy Tickets
- Fri 26th Jun 2015 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, The Who, Paul ...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Fri 21st Aug 2015 Flashback Festival, Sister Sledge, Boney M, The Real Thing, ...Clumber Park (Worksop)Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th Sep 2015 The MerseybeatsCavern (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Fri 9th Oct 2015 The GB Alternative Music Festival: Dr Feelgood, Neville Staple, Hugh Cornwell, Secret Affair, R...Butlins (Skegness)Buy Tickets
- Sat 7th Nov 2015 Sensational 60s Experience, Chris Farlowe, Herman's Hermits,...City Hall (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Fri 4th Dec 2015 and Sat 5th Dec 2015 Secret AffairBuy Tickets