Kinks/ Kinda Kinks/ The Kink Kontroversey - The Kinks Album Review
The Kinks are set to release seven of their classic albums, with the first three; 'The Kinks', 'Kinda Kinks' and 'The Kink Kontroversey' out now, all mid 60's and their first three albums.
So dusting off my Parka and heading out to check the garage for my scooter (ok, that last bit isn't true, but wished it was) I settled down for a Sixties Mod infused few days, and I wasn't disappointed!
Rather than just plodding through the track listing, as I'm sure all Kinks connoisseurs will know and love these albums already, I need to explain what makes these particular releases special.
Ray Davies will be performing at the Meltdown Festival at the London Royal Festival Hall in June this year and the Cornbury Festival in the Cotswolds (yes, not far from Woodstock!), so what a perfect time to catch up on the old classics, but more importantly (to me anyway) is to get your ears round the early recordings on the Classics!
Rarities, outtakes, demos and session tracks all appear on these brand new double CD deluxe formats. Personally, I've seen these albums re-released previously, digitally re-mastered so you think you know what to expect, yes? Well not for me. Other diehard Kinks enthusiasts I'm sure would agree that the 'extras' on these CD's alone make it worthwhile, especially the BBC Top of the Pops introductions. On 'The Kink Kontroversy' you'll even find some interviews with Ray Davies and Pete Quaife, which I know will not be everyone's idea of good listening on a newly repackages album, but I found these particularly interesting. 'Kinda Kinks' was probably my favourite listening out of the three albums, purely because I wasn't too familiar with it to be honest, apart from the classics, All Day And All Of The Night, Tired Of Waiting For You and Dancing In The Street, but what it really did show me was, how many other bands I listen to today are actually influenced by The Kinks, if they don't really know it, musical progression maybe? (in a good way).
'The Kinks' is just one of those timeless classic albums which I cannot praise high enough and can listen to at any time, so this one was a 'no brainer' for me and loved every minute of it, especially the 'Extras' and can understand why people may ask 'why?' but for any Kinks fan, on listening to this, I'm sure they will agree that it was time well spent!
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
This album was a new 'adventure' for my as it was an album that (ashamedly) slipped under my radar. So you can imagine I was more than pleasantly surprised with the whole feel of this sophomore album, but still think I need a few more listens, but hey, that's a good thing when you find something that you've inadvertently missed. Yes?
Rating: 4 out of 5
The Kinks Kontroversy
I liked this album a lot. As mentioned previously, the Top of the Pops tracks are probably some of my favourites out of all three releases. With tracks like Dedicated Follower of Fashion, I Am Free and Milk Cow Blues I was struggling to take my Parka off and battling to keep my eyes open after my Kinks marathon, but loved every minute of it.
Rating: 4.5 out of 5
You may be interested in
- Wed 5th Aug 2015 to Sat 16th Apr 2016 Sunny AfternoonBuy Tickets
- Wed 5th Aug 2015 to Sun 9th Aug 2015 The Bootleg SixtiesBuy Tickets
- Fri 7th Aug 2015 Ray DaviesMarket Hall (Brecon)More Info..
- Sat 8th Aug 2015 Glastonbury Extravaganza: Ray Davies, Joan Armatrading, The ShiresGlastonbury Abbey (Glastonbury)Buy Tickets
- Wed 12th Aug 2015 to Fri 4th Mar 2016 Kast Off KinksBuy Tickets
- Fri 21st Aug 2015 Flashback Festival, Sister Sledge, Boney M, The Real Thing, ...Clumber Park (Worksop)Buy Tickets
- Sun 23rd Aug 2015 to Fri 20th Nov 2015 Van MorrisonBuy Tickets
- Sat 29th Aug 2015 and Thu 29th Oct 2015 Chicago Blues BrothersBuy Tickets
- Sat 29th Aug 2015 Ricky ValanceAuditorium (Grimsby)Buy Tickets
- Fri 4th Sep 2015 to Fri 11th Mar 2016 Secret AffairBuy Tickets
- Fri 4th Sep 2015 The MonkeesEventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Thu 10th Sep 2015 The HolliesMilton Keynes Theatre (Milton Keynes)Buy Tickets
- Sat 12th Sep 2015 The Animals and FriendsThe Brook (Southampton)Buy Tickets
- Thu 17th Sep 2015 to Sun 17th Apr 2016 The DriftersBuy Tickets
- Fri 18th Sep 2015 The MerseybeatsCavern (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th Sep 2015 to Fri 29th Jan 2016 The Pretty ThingsBuy Tickets
- Fri 18th Sep 2015 to Sat 31st Oct 2015 The ModsBuy Tickets
- Sun 20th Sep 2015 and Sun 14th Feb 2016 Raymond FroggattBuy Tickets
- Fri 25th Sep 2015 Gerry MarsdenThe Platform (Morecambe)Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Oct 2015 to Tue 6th Oct 2015 Legends Live: Dionne Warwick, Roberta Flack, The Drifters, Mary WilsonBuy Tickets
- Sun 4th Oct 2015 Sister SledgeCampbell Park (Milton Keynes)Buy Tickets
- Sun 4th Oct 2015 to Wed 11th Nov 2015 DonovanBuy Tickets
- Thu 8th Oct 2015 to Sat 19th Mar 2016 Sensational 60s ExperienceBuy Tickets
- Fri 9th Oct 2015 The GB Alternative Music Festival: Buzzcocks, The Fall, The Damned, Neville Staple, Hugh Cornwe...Butlins (Skegness)Buy Tickets
- Sat 10th Oct 2015 Kounterfeit KinksKu Bar (Stockton)Buy Tickets
- Sun 18th Oct 2015 to Sun 6th Mar 2016 The Counterfeit SixtiesBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Oct 2015 to Fri 30th Oct 2015 Bob DylanBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Oct 2015 The LambrettasThe Globe (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Oct 2015 to Sat 19th Dec 2015 Nine Below ZeroBuy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Oct 2015 The ChordsBorderline (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Thu 29th Oct 2015 Georgie FameNells Jazz and Blues (Kensington and Chelsea)Buy Tickets