Wreck Your Wheels - Kim Richey Album Review
For fifteen years Kim Richey has been releasing album after album of joyful, original and heartfelt music which as earned her Grammy nominations, number 1 spots in the US and praise from top music press including Rolling Stone. There is no doubt that she is one of the most captivating singer-songwriters and her popularity is such that fledgling singers like James Morrison, Ryan Adams and Ben Folds all want to be involved in some with her world. For someone that was a school teacher no less than twenty years ago, it's been a pretty good story.
Her sixth studio album, 'Wreck Your Wheels' pretty much encapsulates everything that is enduringly likeable about Kim Richey. After her previous album 'Chinese Boxes' worked so beautifully it seemed like an obvious choice to keep her band for the follow up. The great thing about using the same band for the last few years is that everything has a far more natural feel to it. The experience they have together and the talent on board makes it that much easier for inspiration to just flow out and help create solid music, and from the titular opening song the benefits are reaped to maximum effect. From the sparse beauty found in tracks like 'Careful How You Go' and the stunning 'For A While' to the spiky heart found in 'Leaving 49' and '99 Floors' you can see the results of an entire band playing as one. With every song a highlight it is tough to pick a few from the bunch to highlight but 'Keys', 'In The Years To Come' and the final track 'Word To The Wise' go beyond the level of great to almost reach a heavenly level.
There is not a misstep on the entire album so all I can say is buy it, buy it buy it. I'm not one for tawdry lines but this album will actually make your life better. So buy it!
You may be interested in
- Thu 23rd Jan 2014 to Sun 2nd Feb 2014 Zervas and Pepper: Full band showBuy Tickets
- Thu 30th Jan 2014 to Wed 30th Apr 2014 Jace EverettBuy Tickets
- Fri 7th Feb 2014 Kevin Devine, Zervas and PepperNice 'N' Sleazy (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Fri 14th Mar 2014 Dixie ChicksThe O2 (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Mar 2014 C2C: Country to Country, Zac Brown Band, Dixie Chicks, Marti...The O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sun 16th Mar 2014 C2C: Country to Country, Brad Paisley, Rascal Flatts, Chris ...The O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sun 13th Apr 2014 to Tue 22nd Apr 2014 Malcolm HolcombeBuy Tickets
- Sun 20th Apr 2014 Suzy BoggussHalkirk Indoor Riding Centre (Caithness)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th Apr 2014 Birds of ChicagoRoyal Native Oyster Store (Whitstable)Buy Tickets
- Tue 29th Apr 2014 Madison VioletBlue Lamp (Aberdeen)Buy Tickets
- Sat 10th May 2014 to Tue 13th May 2014 Drive-By TruckersBuy Tickets
- Wed 14th May 2014 Amanda ShiresThe Slaughtered Lamb (Clerkenwell)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd May 2014 Seasick SteveRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Wed 2nd Jul 2014 The Reverend Peyton's Big Damn BandRobin 2 (Wolverhampton)Buy Tickets