Force - A Certain Ratio Album Review
24 years ago saw this ACR album, their last for Factory, hit the racks and sink without trace. Still, this wasn't before the album sold a few copies and became a courted darling of the music press (a music press that had previously shat on ACR from a great height for their recent releases). The band believed in the 8 songs within the striking Johnson Panas sleeve and still does, to a degree. Things were actually starting to look up for the Wythenshawe boys.
This LTM re-issue gathers up the album along with its accompanying single B-sides and a couple of very rare tracks from the time. The usual detailed sleeve-notes accompany the CD with the usual informative insight and photos from the era, the mid-80s.
'Force' marked the UK debut of the infamous Akai S900 Sampler - thankfully the band didn't over-use it. From opener 'Only Together', via the funky 'Bootsy' to the gut-rumbling bass-line on the near-instrumental single 'Mickey Way', we hear subtle uses here and there. For an album made in 1986, it's aged well and respectably.
But for me, ACR are at their best on here when they go for the extremes of 'plaintive' and 'party'. The album cuts 'And Then She Smiles' and 'Anthem', might not be deserving of the band's nickname for 'Force' (the 'Mike Tyson Of Funk') but they are two examples of their best songwriting. 'Anthem' is as simple as it is complex and I truly wish they would play it live again - a beautiful and mournful lullaby that climaxes like a different song every time I hear it. 'Force' is indeed one of Factory's lost gems - until now.
The extras are an array of some of their best tracks - live favourite and Brazilian workout 'Si Firmir O Grido', knee-knocking funk-spunker 'Nostromo A-Go-Go' and 'Mickey Way' flip-track 'Inside' all featured on the original CD, but the sweeteners are expanded here with the twitchy cut-up remix of 'Bootsy' (issued as a 12" in Australia) by Severed Heads cohort Robert Racic plus an outtake from an Italian session, 'The Runner'.
My only gripe is the exclusion of the full 12" of 'Mickey Way', perhaps as a replacement of the album mix instead, and the previously issued 12" tracks from 'Brazilia', 'Life's A Scream' and 'Wild Party' - certainly the former is another rarity with a South-American flavour that would have fitted in with the party side to 'Force's personality. Top drawer re-issue though - whistles optional.
You may also be interested in
- Fri 28th Nov 2014 and Sat 6th Dec 2014 NorthsideBuy Tickets
- Fri 28th Nov 2014 PigbagJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Nov 2014 ClinicThe Night and Day Cafe (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Thu 4th Dec 2014 Drill : Brighton, Wire, These New Puritans, Cassetteboy, The...Various Brighton Venues (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Thu 4th Dec 2014 Christmas Jumper Jam: Save the Children, Editors, Tim Burgess and Mark Collins [Ch...Union Chapel (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sun 7th Dec 2014 Drill : Brighton, Swans, Wire, Gold Panda, Young Fathers, Zu...Various Brighton Venues (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Mon 8th Dec 2014 and Thu 21st May 2015 SwansBuy Tickets
- Mon 8th Dec 2014 to Wed 10th Dec 2014 Peter Hook: Low-Life & BrotherhoodBuy Tickets
- Sat 13th Dec 2014 PiLIndigo at the O2 (London)Buy Tickets
- Thu 18th Dec 2014 TuxedomoonThe Garage (Highbury)Buy Tickets
- Fri 19th Dec 2014 and Sat 20th Dec 2014 Chameleons Vox: Strange TimesBuy Tickets
- Fri 19th Dec 2014 and Sat 20th Dec 2014 SlowdiveBuy Tickets
- Sun 21st Dec 2014 and Mon 22nd Dec 2014 The Cure, And Also The TreesBuy Tickets
- Tue 23rd Dec 2014 The CureEventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Fri 26th Dec 2014 The Warehouse Project, David Morales, Marshall Jefferson, A ...Victoria Warehouse (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 31st Jan 2015 Dub SexDublin Castle (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Mon 16th Feb 2015 to Fri 27th Feb 2015 The Jesus & Mary ChainBuy Tickets
- Tue 17th Feb 2015 TV on the RadioAlbert Hall (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Mar 2015 and Sat 28th Mar 2015 John Cooper ClarkeBuy Tickets
- Fri 22nd May 2015 to Sun 7th Jun 2015 RideBuy Tickets
- Sun 7th Jun 2015 Field Day, Ride, Patti Smith, DIIV, Outfit, Ducktails, Jane ...Victoria Park (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Fri 26th Jun 2015 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, The Who, Paul ...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Aug 2015 At the Edge of the Sea 2015: The NightingalesConcorde 2 (Brighton)Buy Tickets