Force - A Certain Ratio Album Review
24 years ago saw this ACR album, their last for Factory, hit the racks and sink without trace. Still, this wasn't before the album sold a few copies and became a courted darling of the music press (a music press that had previously shat on ACR from a great height for their recent releases). The band believed in the 8 songs within the striking Johnson Panas sleeve and still does, to a degree. Things were actually starting to look up for the Wythenshawe boys.
This LTM re-issue gathers up the album along with its accompanying single B-sides and a couple of very rare tracks from the time. The usual detailed sleeve-notes accompany the CD with the usual informative insight and photos from the era, the mid-80s.
'Force' marked the UK debut of the infamous Akai S900 Sampler - thankfully the band didn't over-use it. From opener 'Only Together', via the funky 'Bootsy' to the gut-rumbling bass-line on the near-instrumental single 'Mickey Way', we hear subtle uses here and there. For an album made in 1986, it's aged well and respectably.
But for me, ACR are at their best on here when they go for the extremes of 'plaintive' and 'party'. The album cuts 'And Then She Smiles' and 'Anthem', might not be deserving of the band's nickname for 'Force' (the 'Mike Tyson Of Funk') but they are two examples of their best songwriting. 'Anthem' is as simple as it is complex and I truly wish they would play it live again - a beautiful and mournful lullaby that climaxes like a different song every time I hear it. 'Force' is indeed one of Factory's lost gems - until now.
The extras are an array of some of their best tracks - live favourite and Brazilian workout 'Si Firmir O Grido', knee-knocking funk-spunker 'Nostromo A-Go-Go' and 'Mickey Way' flip-track 'Inside' all featured on the original CD, but the sweeteners are expanded here with the twitchy cut-up remix of 'Bootsy' (issued as a 12" in Australia) by Severed Heads cohort Robert Racic plus an outtake from an Italian session, 'The Runner'.
My only gripe is the exclusion of the full 12" of 'Mickey Way', perhaps as a replacement of the album mix instead, and the previously issued 12" tracks from 'Brazilia', 'Life's A Scream' and 'Wild Party' - certainly the former is another rarity with a South-American flavour that would have fitted in with the party side to 'Force's personality. Top drawer re-issue though - whistles optional.
- Fri 7th Nov 2014 A Certain RatioHoochie Coochie (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Sat 13th Dec 2014 A Certain RatioAcademy [1, 2, 3 and Club Academy] (Manchester)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Sat 6th Sep 2014 Crispy Ambulance, Section 25: A Factory NightThe Lexington (London)Buy Tickets
- Sat 6th Sep 2014 SubterraneansLand Rover Social Club (Solihull)Buy Tickets
- Fri 19th Sep 2014 Undercover Festival: Gentleman's Dub Club, Penetration, Spear of Destiny, UK Subs...Bisley Pavilion - Brookwood (Surrey)Buy Tickets
- Sun 21st Sep 2014 to Tue 23rd Sep 2014 Dave FormulaBuy Tickets
- Wed 24th Sep 2014 to Sat 27th Sep 2014 Peter Hook: Low-Life and Brotherhood - Peter Hook and the LightBuy Tickets
- Tue 30th Sep 2014 Bernard Sumner, Dave Haslam, Spoken WordEpstein Theatre (formerly Neptune) (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Wed 1st Oct 2014 to Sat 18th Oct 2014 BuzzcocksBuy Tickets
- Sat 4th Oct 2014 to Sat 3rd Jan 2015 John Cooper ClarkeBuy Tickets
- Thu 9th Oct 2014 John Lydon, Dave Haslam: In ConversationAlbert Hall (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 10th Oct 2014 to Sat 18th Oct 2014 Happy MondaysBuy Tickets
- Sat 11th Oct 2014 The Monochrome SetThe Green Door Store (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 11th Oct 2014 Happy Mondays, Stereo MCs, Graeme Park, Jon DaSilva, Peter H...: FAC 51 The HaciendaAlbert Hall (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 11th Oct 2014 Richard Strange, Bill Nelson, Gavin Bryars: Language Is A Virus From Outer SpaceQueen Elizabeth Hall (Lambeth)Buy Tickets
- Mon 13th Oct 2014 to Wed 29th Oct 2014 Johnny MarrBuy Tickets
- Sat 18th Oct 2014 Wrangler, Gazelle Twin, Minny Pops: MUS_IIC Festival.01The Red Gallery (London)Buy Tickets
- Sat 18th Oct 2014 to Fri 12th Dec 2014 NorthsideBuy Tickets
- Sun 19th Oct 2014 and Mon 20th Oct 2014 Young Marble GiantsBuy Tickets
- Mon 20th Oct 2014 to Sun 26th Oct 2014 The Pop GroupBuy Tickets
- Sat 25th Oct 2014 Dub SexSound Control (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th Oct 2014 808 State: 25 Years of Pacific StateO2 ABC (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Thu 30th Oct 2014 Killing JokeThe Fleece (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Nov 2014 OMD: Dazzle ShipsMuseum of Liverpool (Liverpool)More Info..
- Mon 10th Nov 2014 JamesO2 Academy (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Tue 11th Nov 2014 to Sun 23rd Nov 2014 James, StarsailorBuy Tickets
- Sat 15th Nov 2014 ClinicTrades Club (Hebden Bridge)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Nov 2014 Section 25, OxjamThe Yorkshire House (Lancaster)More Info..
- Fri 19th Dec 2014 and Sat 20th Dec 2014 Chameleons Vox: Strange TimesBuy Tickets