Durutti Column 2001-2009 (Box set) - The Durutti Column Album Review
Aimed at the Christmas market yet strangely absent from shops until the last minute (well, in London), this might well qualify for your hard-earned 'gift-tokens' during January, especially with a few dates coming up for Vini Reilly and Bruce Mitchell in Manchester and London (see below).
'2001 - 2009' does what it says on the smart little box - it rounds up his output for his alter-label Artful (alongside indie Kooky). It seems that one label isn't enough for the prolific guitarist who spends his time cavorting with two bed-partners, so to speak. Trying to make a 'Best Of' for the Durutti Column, something Warners attempted a few years back and failed due to distribution cock-ups, is nigh on impossible so the easy route is to repackage albums with a few extra tracks. How I would love to be the manager of his entire catalogue...no one has yet done him justice. I'll try and keep it brief...
Disc one is 'Rebellion', a strange mish-mash of flat ideas that rank as some of Reilly's most misguided recordings. Opening piece 'For Sophia' is wonderful - an instrumental that represents his ability to craft awe-inspiring beauty from a guitar with a hint of sampled operatics in the mix a la his Sporadic days and added to Bruce Mitchell's terrific drumming on 'Geh Cak Af En Yam' following on, there is little else to stir the soul apart from another Mitchell-driven baby called 'Meschugana'. Folk songs, raps and half-realized ideas just don't suit his talents here on the rest of the album. The extras are two prime XFM session tracks that enhance the set.
Disc two is 'Someone Else's Party' which is the equal of his best and thus begs the head-scratching question - how can he go from 'Rebellion' to this? Or vice versa? Pretty much all of this album is bang on the money with samples, beats and glorious guitar-riffs made for Heaven. The vocals, something that Reilly was berated for by long-standing friend and Factory boss Tony Wilson, are mixed perfectly with the backdrop of electronic and down-beats. Highlights are the non-vocal 'Spanish Lament' (featuring the ballad from 'Mulholland Drive' with added Vinisms), the highly personal 'Requiem For My Mother', the chunky-beatfest 'Vigil', the Aaron Neville-sampled intensity of 'No More Hurt', the Bhangra-flavoured monster 'Woman' and the pretty dawn-chorus sampled 'Goodbye'. In addition, 'Drinking Time' is a paean about an alcoholic sung from a girlfriend's point of view and is primed to soundtrack a million Mike Leigh films - it is truly lovely. The extras include the tear-duct tingle, 'Creole'.
Disc Three is 'Keep Breathing' which is almost the equal of SEP. 'Nina' contains a few reasons to learn how to play guitar as does the next track 'It's Wonderful'. 'Maggie' uses a cracking take on the folk classic 'She Moves Through The Fair' to drive it forward and 'Helen' broods with typical Reilly finesse. But it's the slight acoustic pickings of 'Neil' and 'Lunch' that show his forte as a composer and tie this album up as a contender, the latter borrowing a few bits from his landmark composition 'Without Mercy'.
Disc four (are you keeping up?) is 'Idiot Savants', an album that continues with the dedications to a certain Mr Wilson with the pivotal piece 'Interleukin (For Anthony)', interleukins being a medical term that may or may not have alluded to Tony's ongoing health state. The album as a whole is a bit hard-going in places and only the Spanish-flavoured 'Please Let Me Sleep' really keeps it all together. The rest knocks on the door of introspection too often.
The final disc is 2009's 'Love In The Time Of Recession', an album I gave three and a half stars in March. This version adds extra tracks so has it been enhanced to the good? Well the main album still sounds like it did 10 months ago - a varied mixture of vocal or guitar-led vignettes that don't quite gel yet never cause disinterest. If you fail to get 'For Bruce' then you are destined for the bin, I can say no more. The two extras are remakes of album tracks past and present.
Overall, if you want to dip into what Reilly is doing in his recent years then this budget box-set is well-worth plonking your toe (and ear) into. But there is an air of muddled cobbling together here.
You may be interested in
- Thu 24th Apr 2014 to Sat 3rd May 2014 NorthsideBuy Tickets
- Thu 24th Apr 2014 to Sun 4th May 2014 The NightingalesBuy Tickets
- Sat 26th Apr 2014 Scotland Calling: The Exploited, The Damned, PenetrationO2 ABC (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sat 26th Apr 2014 to Sat 6th Sep 2014 Crispy AmbulanceBuy Tickets
- Sat 3rd May 2014 Anti-Pasti, Buzzcocks, The Mob [UK], Anti-Nowhere LeagueO2 Academy (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd May 2014 Laugharne Weekend Festival, John Cooper Clarke, Luke WrightMillennium Hall (Laugharne)Buy Tickets
- Sun 4th May 2014 Buzzcocks, Penetration, UK Subs, Anti-PastiO2 Academy [Academy 1 & 2] (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Tue 6th May 2014 to Thu 20th Nov 2014 John Cooper ClarkeBuy Tickets
- Thu 15th May 2014 to Tue 27th May 2014 Chameleons Vox: Script of the BridgeBuy Tickets
- Thu 15th May 2014 PenetrationVoodoo (Belfast)Buy Tickets
- Thu 22nd May 2014 to Sun 25th May 2014 Bearded Theory FestivalBuy Tickets
- Thu 22nd May 2014 to Mon 2nd Jun 2014 SwansBuy Tickets
- Wed 28th May 2014 and Thu 10th Jul 2014 JamesBuy Tickets
- Sun 8th Jun 2014 The Parklife Weekender, Foals, Bastille, London Grammar, Sam...Heaton Park (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Jun 2014 Meltdown Festival, ESG, 23 SkidooQueen Elizabeth Hall (Lambeth)Buy Tickets
- Thu 3rd Jul 2014 to Sat 27th Sep 2014 Peter Hook: Low-Life and Brotherhood - Peter Hook and the LightBuy Tickets
- Fri 4th Jul 2014 and Sat 5th Jul 2014 The Hop Farm Music FestivalBuy Tickets
- Sat 5th Jul 2014 Sonisphere, Iron Maiden, Deftones, Frank Turner, Anthrax, Sl...Knebworth House and Gardens (Hertfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Sun 6th Jul 2014 The Hop Farm Music Festival, Grace JonesThe Hop Farm Country Park (Kent)Buy Tickets
- Mon 7th Jul 2014 to Wed 9th Jul 2014 The Sisters of MercyBuy Tickets
- Fri 11th Jul 2014 Summer in the City: James, StarsailorCastlefield Bowl (Castlefield)Buy Tickets
- Sat 12th Jul 2014 T in the Park, Calvin Harris, Paolo Nutini, Pharrell William...Balado Airfield (Kinross)Buy Tickets
- Sat 12th Jul 2014 Let's Rock Southampton: Altered Images, Bananarama, Billy Ocean, Go West, Howard Jon... - Let's Rock SouthamptonSouthampton Common (Southampton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 19th Jul 2014 Happy Mondays, Reverend and the Makers, Tom Odell, The Boomt...: SplendourWollaton Park/ Hall (Nottingham)Buy Tickets
- Thu 31st Jul 2014 to Sun 3rd Aug 2014 Camp BestivalBuy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Aug 2014 Camp Bestival, De La SoulLulworth Castle (Dorset)Buy Tickets
- Thu 7th Aug 2014 to Sun 10th Aug 2014 Rebellion FestivalBuy Tickets
- Fri 19th Sep 2014 Undercover Festival: Gentleman's Dub Club, Penetration, Spear of Destiny, UK Subs...Bisley Pavilion - Brookwood (Surrey)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Nov 2014 Tower of Power: Hipper Than Hip World TourIndigO2 (London)Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th Nov 2014 to Wed 10th Dec 2014 Peter Gabriel: Back to FrontBuy Tickets