Durutti Column 2001-2009 (Box set) - The Durutti Column Album Review
Aimed at the Christmas market yet strangely absent from shops until the last minute (well, in London), this might well qualify for your hard-earned 'gift-tokens' during January, especially with a few dates coming up for Vini Reilly and Bruce Mitchell in Manchester and London (see below).
'2001 - 2009' does what it says on the smart little box - it rounds up his output for his alter-label Artful (alongside indie Kooky). It seems that one label isn't enough for the prolific guitarist who spends his time cavorting with two bed-partners, so to speak. Trying to make a 'Best Of' for the Durutti Column, something Warners attempted a few years back and failed due to distribution cock-ups, is nigh on impossible so the easy route is to repackage albums with a few extra tracks. How I would love to be the manager of his entire catalogue...no one has yet done him justice. I'll try and keep it brief...
Disc one is 'Rebellion', a strange mish-mash of flat ideas that rank as some of Reilly's most misguided recordings. Opening piece 'For Sophia' is wonderful - an instrumental that represents his ability to craft awe-inspiring beauty from a guitar with a hint of sampled operatics in the mix a la his Sporadic days and added to Bruce Mitchell's terrific drumming on 'Geh Cak Af En Yam' following on, there is little else to stir the soul apart from another Mitchell-driven baby called 'Meschugana'. Folk songs, raps and half-realized ideas just don't suit his talents here on the rest of the album. The extras are two prime XFM session tracks that enhance the set.
Disc two is 'Someone Else's Party' which is the equal of his best and thus begs the head-scratching question - how can he go from 'Rebellion' to this? Or vice versa? Pretty much all of this album is bang on the money with samples, beats and glorious guitar-riffs made for Heaven. The vocals, something that Reilly was berated for by long-standing friend and Factory boss Tony Wilson, are mixed perfectly with the backdrop of electronic and down-beats. Highlights are the non-vocal 'Spanish Lament' (featuring the ballad from 'Mulholland Drive' with added Vinisms), the highly personal 'Requiem For My Mother', the chunky-beatfest 'Vigil', the Aaron Neville-sampled intensity of 'No More Hurt', the Bhangra-flavoured monster 'Woman' and the pretty dawn-chorus sampled 'Goodbye'. In addition, 'Drinking Time' is a paean about an alcoholic sung from a girlfriend's point of view and is primed to soundtrack a million Mike Leigh films - it is truly lovely. The extras include the tear-duct tingle, 'Creole'.
Disc Three is 'Keep Breathing' which is almost the equal of SEP. 'Nina' contains a few reasons to learn how to play guitar as does the next track 'It's Wonderful'. 'Maggie' uses a cracking take on the folk classic 'She Moves Through The Fair' to drive it forward and 'Helen' broods with typical Reilly finesse. But it's the slight acoustic pickings of 'Neil' and 'Lunch' that show his forte as a composer and tie this album up as a contender, the latter borrowing a few bits from his landmark composition 'Without Mercy'.
Disc four (are you keeping up?) is 'Idiot Savants', an album that continues with the dedications to a certain Mr Wilson with the pivotal piece 'Interleukin (For Anthony)', interleukins being a medical term that may or may not have alluded to Tony's ongoing health state. The album as a whole is a bit hard-going in places and only the Spanish-flavoured 'Please Let Me Sleep' really keeps it all together. The rest knocks on the door of introspection too often.
The final disc is 2009's 'Love In The Time Of Recession', an album I gave three and a half stars in March. This version adds extra tracks so has it been enhanced to the good? Well the main album still sounds like it did 10 months ago - a varied mixture of vocal or guitar-led vignettes that don't quite gel yet never cause disinterest. If you fail to get 'For Bruce' then you are destined for the bin, I can say no more. The two extras are remakes of album tracks past and present.
Overall, if you want to dip into what Reilly is doing in his recent years then this budget box-set is well-worth plonking your toe (and ear) into. But there is an air of muddled cobbling together here.
You may be interested in
- Tue 5th May 2015 to Sun 21st Jun 2015 The Pop GroupBuy Tickets
- Fri 8th May 2015 Ultimate '80s: Kim Wilde, Big Country, Go West, Altered Images, LimahlButlins (Bognor Regis)More Info..
- Fri 8th May 2015 Jez KerrArden Road Social Club (Halifax)Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th May 2015 to Fri 18th Sep 2015 The Monochrome SetBuy Tickets
- Sat 16th May 2015 to Sat 29th Aug 2015 At the Edge of the Sea 2015: The NightingalesBuy Tickets
- Sat 16th May 2015 Shiiine On Weekender Launch Party, Stereo MCs, Northside, Th...Scala (Kings Cross)Buy Tickets
- Mon 18th May 2015 Peter Hook, Fundraising Event: So This Is PermanenceMacclesfield Christ Church (Macclesfield)Buy Tickets
- Wed 20th May 2015 to Mon 25th May 2015 SwansBuy Tickets
- Wed 20th May 2015 Minny PopsThe Lexington (London)Buy Tickets
- Thu 21st May 2015 to Sun 29th Nov 2015 BuzzcocksBuy Tickets
- Fri 22nd May 2015 Bearded Theory Festival, The Mission, Gun, The Skints, Itch,...Catton Hall Park (Derbyshire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd May 2015 and Sat 23rd May 2015 ESGBuy Tickets
- Fri 22nd May 2015 to Wed 19th Aug 2015 JamesBuy Tickets
- Sat 23rd May 2015 Swans, Okkyung LeeGlasgow School of Art (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sun 24th May 2015 Bearded Theory Festival, James, Buzzcocks, Misty in Roots, T...Catton Hall Park (Derbyshire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 29th May 2015 Buzzcocks, Dirt Box DiscoThe Liquid Rooms (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Fri 29th May 2015 to Tue 9th Jun 2015 Chameleons Vox: What Does Anything Mean? BasicallyBuy Tickets
- Mon 1st Jun 2015 and Wed 3rd Jun 2015 The Nightingales, Ted ChippingtonBuy Tickets
- Thu 4th Jun 2015 to Thu 25th Jun 2015 Holly JohnsonBuy Tickets
- Fri 5th Jun 2015 to Fri 11th Dec 2015 John Cooper ClarkeBuy Tickets
- Tue 9th Jun 2015 to Thu 11th Jun 2015 BlurOn SaleFri 8th Mayat 10am
- Sat 13th Jun 2015 BL9 Weekender, Happy MondaysGigg Lane Football Ground - Bury FC (Bury)Buy Tickets
- Sun 14th Jun 2015 BL9 Weekender, RazorlightGigg Lane Football Ground - Bury FC (Bury)Buy Tickets
- Fri 19th Jun 2015 Blaine L. ReiningerAcademy (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Jun 2015 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park, Blur, Metronom...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)Buy Tickets
- Fri 10th Jul 2015 Ward Thomas, Paper Aeroplanes, Razorlight, Roger Hodgson, Th...The Great Tew Park (Oxfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 17th Jul 2015 and Sat 18th Jul 2015 Truck FestivalBuy Tickets
- Fri 17th Jul 2015 Super Bock Super Rock, Blur, dEUS, Bombay Bicycle ClubParque das Nacoes (Lisbon)Buy Tickets
- Tue 21st Jul 2015 The DrumsKOKO (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Mon 3rd Aug 2015 Here and Now - The Very Best of the 80s, Belinda Carlisle, K...Carlisle Racecourse (Carlisle)Buy Tickets
- Sun 9th Aug 2015 Rewind Festival North, The Boomtown Rats, OMD, Bananarama, A...Capesthorne Hall (Cheshire)Buy Tickets