Durutti Column 2001-2009 (Box set) - The Durutti Column Album Review
Aimed at the Christmas market yet strangely absent from shops until the last minute (well, in London), this might well qualify for your hard-earned 'gift-tokens' during January, especially with a few dates coming up for Vini Reilly and Bruce Mitchell in Manchester and London (see below).
'2001 - 2009' does what it says on the smart little box - it rounds up his output for his alter-label Artful (alongside indie Kooky). It seems that one label isn't enough for the prolific guitarist who spends his time cavorting with two bed-partners, so to speak. Trying to make a 'Best Of' for the Durutti Column, something Warners attempted a few years back and failed due to distribution cock-ups, is nigh on impossible so the easy route is to repackage albums with a few extra tracks. How I would love to be the manager of his entire catalogue...no one has yet done him justice. I'll try and keep it brief...
Disc one is 'Rebellion', a strange mish-mash of flat ideas that rank as some of Reilly's most misguided recordings. Opening piece 'For Sophia' is wonderful - an instrumental that represents his ability to craft awe-inspiring beauty from a guitar with a hint of sampled operatics in the mix a la his Sporadic days and added to Bruce Mitchell's terrific drumming on 'Geh Cak Af En Yam' following on, there is little else to stir the soul apart from another Mitchell-driven baby called 'Meschugana'. Folk songs, raps and half-realized ideas just don't suit his talents here on the rest of the album. The extras are two prime XFM session tracks that enhance the set.
Disc two is 'Someone Else's Party' which is the equal of his best and thus begs the head-scratching question - how can he go from 'Rebellion' to this? Or vice versa? Pretty much all of this album is bang on the money with samples, beats and glorious guitar-riffs made for Heaven. The vocals, something that Reilly was berated for by long-standing friend and Factory boss Tony Wilson, are mixed perfectly with the backdrop of electronic and down-beats. Highlights are the non-vocal 'Spanish Lament' (featuring the ballad from 'Mulholland Drive' with added Vinisms), the highly personal 'Requiem For My Mother', the chunky-beatfest 'Vigil', the Aaron Neville-sampled intensity of 'No More Hurt', the Bhangra-flavoured monster 'Woman' and the pretty dawn-chorus sampled 'Goodbye'. In addition, 'Drinking Time' is a paean about an alcoholic sung from a girlfriend's point of view and is primed to soundtrack a million Mike Leigh films - it is truly lovely. The extras include the tear-duct tingle, 'Creole'.
Disc Three is 'Keep Breathing' which is almost the equal of SEP. 'Nina' contains a few reasons to learn how to play guitar as does the next track 'It's Wonderful'. 'Maggie' uses a cracking take on the folk classic 'She Moves Through The Fair' to drive it forward and 'Helen' broods with typical Reilly finesse. But it's the slight acoustic pickings of 'Neil' and 'Lunch' that show his forte as a composer and tie this album up as a contender, the latter borrowing a few bits from his landmark composition 'Without Mercy'.
Disc four (are you keeping up?) is 'Idiot Savants', an album that continues with the dedications to a certain Mr Wilson with the pivotal piece 'Interleukin (For Anthony)', interleukins being a medical term that may or may not have alluded to Tony's ongoing health state. The album as a whole is a bit hard-going in places and only the Spanish-flavoured 'Please Let Me Sleep' really keeps it all together. The rest knocks on the door of introspection too often.
The final disc is 2009's 'Love In The Time Of Recession', an album I gave three and a half stars in March. This version adds extra tracks so has it been enhanced to the good? Well the main album still sounds like it did 10 months ago - a varied mixture of vocal or guitar-led vignettes that don't quite gel yet never cause disinterest. If you fail to get 'For Bruce' then you are destined for the bin, I can say no more. The two extras are remakes of album tracks past and present.
Overall, if you want to dip into what Reilly is doing in his recent years then this budget box-set is well-worth plonking your toe (and ear) into. But there is an air of muddled cobbling together here.
You may be interested in
- Fri 19th Sep 2014 Undercover Festival: Gentleman's Dub Club, Penetration, Spear of Destiny, UK Subs...Bisley Pavilion - Brookwood (Surrey)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Sep 2014 to Mon 20th Oct 2014 Young Marble GiantsBuy Tickets
- Sun 21st Sep 2014 and Sat 8th Nov 2014 Dave FormulaBuy Tickets
- Wed 24th Sep 2014 to Sat 27th Sep 2014 Peter Hook: Low-Life and Brotherhood - Peter Hook and the LightBuy Tickets
- Tue 30th Sep 2014 Bernard Sumner, Dave Haslam, Spoken WordEpstein Theatre (formerly Neptune) (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Wed 1st Oct 2014 to Sat 18th Oct 2014 BuzzcocksBuy Tickets
- Sat 4th Oct 2014 to Sat 3rd Jan 2015 John Cooper ClarkeBuy Tickets
- Thu 9th Oct 2014 John Lydon, Dave Haslam: In ConversationAlbert Hall (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 10th Oct 2014 to Sat 18th Oct 2014 Happy MondaysBuy Tickets
- Sat 11th Oct 2014 The Monochrome SetThe Green Door Store (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 11th Oct 2014 Happy Mondays, Stereo MCs, Graeme Park, Jon DaSilva, Peter H...: FAC 51 The HaciendaAlbert Hall (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 11th Oct 2014 Richard Strange, Bill Nelson, Gavin Bryars: Language Is A Virus From Outer SpaceQueen Elizabeth Hall (Lambeth)Buy Tickets
- Sat 18th Oct 2014 Wrangler, Gazelle Twin, Minny Pops: MUS_IIC Festival.01The Red Gallery (London)Buy Tickets
- Sat 18th Oct 2014 to Fri 12th Dec 2014 NorthsideBuy Tickets
- Sun 19th Oct 2014 to Tue 28th Oct 2014 Holly Johnson: Unleashed From The PleasuredomeBuy Tickets
- Mon 20th Oct 2014 to Sun 26th Oct 2014 The Pop GroupBuy Tickets
- Sat 25th Oct 2014 Dub SexSound Control (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th Oct 2014 808 State: 25 Years of Pacific StateO2 ABC (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Thu 30th Oct 2014 Killing JokeThe Fleece (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Nov 2014 Tower of Power: Hipper Than Hip World TourIndigO2 (London)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Nov 2014 and Sun 2nd Nov 2014 OMD: Dazzle ShipsBuy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Nov 2014 Minny Pops: Drastic Measures, Drastic MovementThe Others (London)Buy Tickets
- Fri 7th Nov 2014 and Sat 13th Dec 2014 A Certain RatioBuy Tickets
- Mon 10th Nov 2014 JamesO2 Academy (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Tue 11th Nov 2014 to Sun 23rd Nov 2014 James, StarsailorBuy Tickets
- Sat 15th Nov 2014 and Sat 29th Nov 2014 ClinicBuy Tickets
- Sat 15th Nov 2014 Section 25, OxjamThe Yorkshire House (Lancaster)More Info..
- Tue 18th Nov 2014 to Thu 20th Nov 2014 The DrumsBuy Tickets
- Fri 28th Nov 2014 to Wed 10th Dec 2014 Peter Gabriel: Back to FrontBuy Tickets
- Sat 29th Nov 2014 and Mon 1st Dec 2014 MorrisseyBuy Tickets
- Sat 13th Dec 2014 PiLIndigO2 (London)On SaleFri 19th Sepat 11am