Durutti Column 2001-2009 (Box set) - The Durutti Column Album Review
Aimed at the Christmas market yet strangely absent from shops until the last minute (well, in London), this might well qualify for your hard-earned 'gift-tokens' during January, especially with a few dates coming up for Vini Reilly and Bruce Mitchell in Manchester and London (see below).
'2001 - 2009' does what it says on the smart little box - it rounds up his output for his alter-label Artful (alongside indie Kooky). It seems that one label isn't enough for the prolific guitarist who spends his time cavorting with two bed-partners, so to speak. Trying to make a 'Best Of' for the Durutti Column, something Warners attempted a few years back and failed due to distribution cock-ups, is nigh on impossible so the easy route is to repackage albums with a few extra tracks. How I would love to be the manager of his entire catalogue...no one has yet done him justice. I'll try and keep it brief...
Disc one is 'Rebellion', a strange mish-mash of flat ideas that rank as some of Reilly's most misguided recordings. Opening piece 'For Sophia' is wonderful - an instrumental that represents his ability to craft awe-inspiring beauty from a guitar with a hint of sampled operatics in the mix a la his Sporadic days and added to Bruce Mitchell's terrific drumming on 'Geh Cak Af En Yam' following on, there is little else to stir the soul apart from another Mitchell-driven baby called 'Meschugana'. Folk songs, raps and half-realized ideas just don't suit his talents here on the rest of the album. The extras are two prime XFM session tracks that enhance the set.
Disc two is 'Someone Else's Party' which is the equal of his best and thus begs the head-scratching question - how can he go from 'Rebellion' to this? Or vice versa? Pretty much all of this album is bang on the money with samples, beats and glorious guitar-riffs made for Heaven. The vocals, something that Reilly was berated for by long-standing friend and Factory boss Tony Wilson, are mixed perfectly with the backdrop of electronic and down-beats. Highlights are the non-vocal 'Spanish Lament' (featuring the ballad from 'Mulholland Drive' with added Vinisms), the highly personal 'Requiem For My Mother', the chunky-beatfest 'Vigil', the Aaron Neville-sampled intensity of 'No More Hurt', the Bhangra-flavoured monster 'Woman' and the pretty dawn-chorus sampled 'Goodbye'. In addition, 'Drinking Time' is a paean about an alcoholic sung from a girlfriend's point of view and is primed to soundtrack a million Mike Leigh films - it is truly lovely. The extras include the tear-duct tingle, 'Creole'.
Disc Three is 'Keep Breathing' which is almost the equal of SEP. 'Nina' contains a few reasons to learn how to play guitar as does the next track 'It's Wonderful'. 'Maggie' uses a cracking take on the folk classic 'She Moves Through The Fair' to drive it forward and 'Helen' broods with typical Reilly finesse. But it's the slight acoustic pickings of 'Neil' and 'Lunch' that show his forte as a composer and tie this album up as a contender, the latter borrowing a few bits from his landmark composition 'Without Mercy'.
Disc four (are you keeping up?) is 'Idiot Savants', an album that continues with the dedications to a certain Mr Wilson with the pivotal piece 'Interleukin (For Anthony)', interleukins being a medical term that may or may not have alluded to Tony's ongoing health state. The album as a whole is a bit hard-going in places and only the Spanish-flavoured 'Please Let Me Sleep' really keeps it all together. The rest knocks on the door of introspection too often.
The final disc is 2009's 'Love In The Time Of Recession', an album I gave three and a half stars in March. This version adds extra tracks so has it been enhanced to the good? Well the main album still sounds like it did 10 months ago - a varied mixture of vocal or guitar-led vignettes that don't quite gel yet never cause disinterest. If you fail to get 'For Bruce' then you are destined for the bin, I can say no more. The two extras are remakes of album tracks past and present.
Overall, if you want to dip into what Reilly is doing in his recent years then this budget box-set is well-worth plonking your toe (and ear) into. But there is an air of muddled cobbling together here.
You may be interested in
- Sat 25th May 2013 The 80s Strikes Back, Rick Astley, Belinda Carlisle, The Rea...The Provident Stadium (Bradford)Buy Tickets
- Sun 26th May 2013 and Sat 30th Nov 2013 Happy Mondays, 808 StateBuy Tickets
- Thu 30th May 2013 OMDVicar Street (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Fri 31st May 2013 Optimus Primavera Sound 2013, BlurParque da Cidade (Porto)Buy Tickets
- Fri 31st May 2013 The Dark Lights, CleftThe Silver Bullet (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Jun 2013 to Thu 19th Sep 2013 John Cooper ClarkeBuy Tickets
- Sat 1st Jun 2013 The Pastels, The WakeCCA [Centre for Contemporary Arts] (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Jun 2013 Crooked Ways 2013, The Enemy, Grandmaster Flash, Peter Hook,...Pontefract Park (West Yorkshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Jun 2013 Let's Rock Bristol 2013, Billy Ocean, Howard Jones, ABC, Go ...Blaise Castle Estate (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Jun 2013 Stoke Newington Literary Festival, Paul MorleyStoke Newington Town Hall (London)Buy Tickets
- Sun 9th Jun 2013 John Cooper Clarke, I am Kloot, Simon Day, Mark Thomas, Barr...Palladium (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Sun 9th Jun 2013 to Fri 28th Jun 2013 PiLBuy Tickets
- Wed 12th Jun 2013 and Fri 14th Jun 2013 Paul MorleyBuy Tickets
- Wed 12th Jun 2013 Chromatics, Glass CandyKOKO (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Thu 13th Jun 2013 Isle of Wight Festival 2013, Happy Mondays, The Farm, The Bl...Seaclose Park (Newport [Isle of Wight])Buy Tickets
- Thu 13th Jun 2013 Forestry Commission Live Music 2013, JamesThetford Forest (Suffolk)Buy Tickets
- Thu 13th Jun 2013 ChromaticsThe Village (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Fri 14th Jun 2013 Sónar Festival 2013, Kraftwerk, Skrillex, Major Lazer...Sonar Venues (Barcelona)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Jun 2013 Sónar Festival 2013, Pet Shop Boys, Paul Kalkbrenner,...Sonar Venues (Barcelona)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Jun 2013 Section 25The Cockpit (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Jun 2013 and Mon 17th Jun 2013 Meltdown Festival 2013, Siouxsie, Viv AlbertineBuy Tickets
- Mon 17th Jun 2013 Chameleons VoxThe Witchwood (Ashton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 21st Jun 2013 and Sat 10th Aug 2013 BuzzcocksBuy Tickets
- Fri 21st Jun 2013 Peter Hook, 808 State, Mike Pickering, Graeme Park, Danny Ra...Coronet Theatre (London)Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Jun 2013 The Killers, The Gaslight Anthem, JamesWembley Stadium (Wembley)Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Jun 2013 Rock the Stadium 2013, Five Star, Altered Images, The Real T...Falkirk Stadium (Falkirk)Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Jun 2013 Scared to Get Happy, The Primitives, BMX Bandits, The Brilli...229 the venue - Great Portland Street (London)Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Jun 2013 to Fri 22nd Nov 2013 Happy MondaysBuy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Jun 2013 Peter Hook, BezSpa/ Ocean Room (Scarborough)Buy Tickets
- Sun 23rd Jun 2013 Blue OrchidsThe Green Door Store (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Jun 2013 Mike Pickering, Allister Whitehead, Alison LimerickThe Warehouse (Leeds)Buy Tickets