Greatest Hits - Foo Fighters Album Review
Foo Fighter songs are unstoppable express trains tearing through a crowded station. Rails hum with the distant rumble of the intro and, without ceremony, Dave Grohl and his band explode into view with such irresistible force that listeners are plucked from the platform and - euphoric, dizzy and winded - swept along in a whirr and blur of colour and excitement.
So next time you are watching from the comfort of your favourite chair as kids, stripped to bras and waists, throw themselves about with reckless abandon in the mud at some televised festival or another, know this - they have no choice, these foolish young things; they are on the train and there's no stopping them. If this isn't your thing, you may want to stand well back.
When the Foo Fighters emerged from the ashes of grunge-rock trailblazers Nirvana, no one could have foreseen that Dave Grohl's solo project would become one of the world's great rock bands. With Kurt Cobain's troubled hyperbole to one side, he - the band's drummer - and third member Krist Novoselic both surfaced blinking into a post-Nirvana nuclear dawn.
And Grohl emerged with a collection of self-penned songs he'd quietly written whilst the band were recording and touring their own material. With profound simplicity, Dave Grohl then went and made himself a band. He even played all the instruments.
A decade-and-a-half later, and with an established line-up, Grohl is looking back on a Foo Fighters career that arguably puts Nirvana's achievements into some sort of perspective. True, the Foo Fighters lack the raw, frayed edge of Nirvana but their coherence, commercial success and enduring quality are almost without parallel. Thankfully, timing renders any meaningful comparison pointless. One simply couldn't exist with the other.
Yet flawed genius is ever so much sexier than plain old genius, it seems. Kurt Cobain's shadow is a long one and Dave Grohl has had to work hard to shake it off. But shake it off, he has.
And here's the proof. Of course, greatest hits compilations like this one are rarely welcomed by 'real' fans. Undoubtedly a few more of the Foos' fabled live performances and a handful of less commercial tunes would elevate this album in their eyes. But that's not to suggest this isn't a valuable anthology.
The 16 tracks include two previously unreleased singles (which will appease the die-hards), Wheels and Word Forward, along with two versions of Everlong - the single and also an acoustic retelling. Elsewhere are all the highlights of a career that is, for so many, the soundtrack to the last decade.
The Pretender, Best of You, Times Like These and Learn To Fly showcase the Foo Fighters at their anthemic best. Big Me is a slice of more gentle Americana but no less remarkable for it.
Cranking up the energy levels still further, Monkey Wrench, This Is A Call and My Hero are the calls to arms for those young and restless moshers and all sit effortlessly alongside the new material. Of the two new offerings, Wheels is particularly good.
With this collection of rock songs of real depth and grace, Dave Grohl's exceptional Foo Fighters will no doubt win themselves another army of dedicated followers. All aboard.
You may be interested in
- Thu 23rd May 2013 Primavera Sound 2013, Dinosaur Jr, Bob Mould, Animal Collect...Parc del Forum (Barcelona)Buy Tickets
- Fri 24th May 2013 Primavera Sound 2013, Blur, The Breeders, Solange, Swans, Ti...Parc del Forum (Barcelona)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th May 2013 Primavera Sound 2013, Camera Obscura, Nick Cave and the Bad ...Parc del Forum (Barcelona)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th May 2013 and Sat 1st Jun 2013 Muse, Dizzee Rascal, BastilleBuy Tickets
- Sun 26th May 2013 Primavera Sound 2013, Deerhunter, Allah-Las, Come, Julie Doi...Parc del Forum (Barcelona)More Info..
- Sun 26th May 2013 Muse, Dizzee RascalEmirates Stadium - Arsenal FC (London)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Jun 2013 Green Day, All Time Low, Kaiser ChiefsEmirates Stadium - Arsenal FC (London)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Jun 2013 Beyoncé, Florence + the Machine, Ellie Goulding, Rita...Twickenham Stadium (Twickenham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Jun 2013 Novana, 101% PanteraThe Fleece (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Jun 2013 and Mon 3rd Jun 2013 Meat PuppetsBuy Tickets
- Fri 7th Jun 2013 and Sat 8th Jun 2013 Mudhoney, Meat PuppetsBuy Tickets
- Fri 7th Jun 2013 to Tue 19th Nov 2013 Gary NumanBuy Tickets
- Sat 8th Jun 2013 to Wed 12th Jun 2013 Tegan and Sara, WaxahatcheeBuy Tickets
- Sat 8th Jun 2013 The Playground Festival 2013, Gary Numan, Squarepusher, Derr...O2 Academy (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Jun 2013 Download 2013, Iron Maiden, Queens of the Stone Age, Mot&oum...Donington Park - Castle Donington (Derbyshire)Buy Tickets
- Tue 18th Jun 2013 Grant HartMonto Water Rats (Kings Cross)Buy Tickets
- Tue 18th Jun 2013 to Sat 22nd Jun 2013 Scout NiblettBuy Tickets
- Mon 1st Jul 2013 to Mon 22nd Jul 2013 The Smashing PumpkinsBuy Tickets
- Fri 5th Jul 2013 to Sat 28th Sep 2013 Four FightersBuy Tickets
- Fri 5th Jul 2013 Eurockéennes de Belfort 2013, The Smashing Pumpkins, ...Belfort (France)Buy Tickets
- Fri 12th Jul 2013 Optimus Alive 2013, Green Day, Two Door Cinema ClubPasseio Marítimo de Algés (Lisbon)Buy Tickets
- Sat 13th Jul 2013 Bilbao BBK Live 2013, Green Day, Vampire Weekend, Fatboy Sli...Kobetamendi Park - Bilbao BBK (Bilbao)Buy Tickets
- Thu 18th Jul 2013 Benicàssim 2013, Queens of the Stone Age, Beach House...Recinto de Conciertos (Benicasim)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Jul 2013 to Fri 13th Dec 2013 UK Foo FightersBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Jul 2013 Super Bock Super Rock 2013, Queens of the Stone Age, Gary Cl...Herdade do Cabeco da Flauta - Meco (Portugal)Buy Tickets
- Fri 23rd Aug 2013 Reading Festival 2013, Green Day, System of a Down, Skrillex...Little John's Farm (Reading)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Aug 2013 Leeds Festival 2013, Green Day, System of a Down, Skrillex, ...Bramham Park (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Sat 24th Aug 2013 Creamfields 2013, The Prodigy, Avicii, Above & Beyond, S...Daresbury Estate (Warrington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 31st Aug 2013 Damien Jurado, Strand of OaksBush Hall (London)Buy Tickets
- Fri 13th Sep 2013 to Wed 18th Sep 2013 SoundgardenOn SaleFri 24th Mayat 9am
- Fri 27th Sep 2013 This is Nirvana, Enraged (RAtM Tribute)The Bierkeller (Bristol)Buy Tickets