I Am... Sasha Fierce - Beyoncé Platinum Album Review
Platinum Album Review
'I Am... Sasha Fierce [Platinum Edition]' is the CD/DVD re-release of the three times platinum (as of October 2009) selling third solo album from stunning American diva Beyoncé Knowles. The original release, described by amazon.co.uk as an 'intentionally schizophrenic affair', came as two discs, each portraying a side of Beyoncé's split musical personality by means of adopting one of two characters; 'I Am' being Beyoncé's inner emotional, sensitive self and 'Sasha Fierce' her fun loving, booty shaking alter ego. The first disc is a collection of superb emotional down-tempo tracks and ballads which showcase Beyoncé's complete vocal control and outstanding vocal ability while the second disc is a selection of infectious, more upbeat R&B tracks reminiscent of her 'Crazy In Love' days. Also containing four bonus tracks and a DVD of the single videos and behind the scenes extras, the platinum edition, however, abandons the blatant split musical personality concept as tracks are relisted side by side on one twenty track CD as a musical roller coaster of variety.
So, to the musical content itself. The strutting, booty shaking, R&B pop brilliance that is 'Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)' introduces the album; Beyoncé the diva on fine form. This super start, however, rapidly deteriorates from such fine form with dirty hip hop/R&B track 'Diva', a disappointingly weak second track with a repeated 'I'm a I'm a diva' sample throughout which is reminiscent of a chipmunk and rather irritating. Merely three tracks into the album, the inconsistency that continues throughout the selection is evident. The fourth track is a return to magnificent haunting ballad 'Halo' which is both beautifully sung and orchestrated; synth pads reminiscent of a choir, piano introduction, and low synthesised strings over another simple kick drum and synth clap drum beat. Lulls in the orchestration throughout create the perfect variation to highlight Beyoncé's utterly lush vocal, particularly evident in the chorus. In a similar vein to the number one single 'If I Were A Boy' which precedes it, 'Smash Into You' is another down tempo number with a gorgeous, delicate vocal during the verse building into a stronger vocal in the chorus, picking up pace throughout, building into a moving 'oooh' refrain highlighting Beyoncé's outstanding range and flexibility. The composition isn't particularly reflective of the lyrics on this track; 'I wanna run and smash into you' hardly brings a beautiful slow ballad with a stripped down, acoustic guitar and piano accompaniment underneath Beyoncé's lush vocal to mind. Interspersing doses of grooving R&B among beautiful, down tempo ballads, the album continues with the singles 'Sweet Dreams' and 'Broken Hearted Girl' and then another R&B filler 'Scared of Lonely'. Tracks nine to thirteen are the mediocre lull of the album, highlighting the aforementioned inconsistency throughout.
Tracks fourteen to seventeen are bonus tracks exclusive to the platinum edition of '...Sasha Fierce'. Kanye West meanders his way through a one and a half minute rap over the funky piano, bass, kit and synthesized brass groove of 'Ego' in its second "remixed" appearance on the album; in reality, the track is identical to the previous hearing, except that Kanye takes the first verse before returning the reigns to Beyoncé for the remainder of the song. Her vocal tone towards the end of the song is, however, questionable; an attempt at a high-pitched almost whisper-like tone turns out to sound shredded and strained. 'Why Don't You Love Me' is a harmonically dull, bongo-ridden latin dance pop number, followed by the contrasting Billy Joel cover 'Honesty' and 'Save The Hero', the latter of which both showcase Beyoncé's lovely, soulful voice and outstanding vocal range.
Beyoncé's vocal talent is indisputable and ever-present on 'I Am... Sasha Fierce'; frequent melismatic phrases in the delicate melodic lines of ballads suggest obvious comparisons with the likes of Mariah Carey, similarly the strong power vocal so prominent in the big choruses highlights the influence of big selling American female vocalists such as Tina Turner, Whitney Houston and Aretha Franklin. With the high points of this album, 'Halo', 'If I Were A Boy' and the stunning conclusion 'Ave Maria', Beyoncé now stands among the likes of the aforementioned artists in, as a solo artist in her own right, becoming one of the absolute gems of the American music industry, especially where the ballad is concerned.
The conclusions drawn from multiple plays of 'I Am... Sasha Fierce [Platinum Edition] are diversity in genre (which is great!), yet inconsistency in quality. Some tracks, with their rambling love song lyrics and monotonous harmony, pass by as "just another track" whilst others, notably the singles and the lush, tear jerking close 'Ave Maria' stand out as really strong tracks. Fair enough, this is the extended platinum version but even judged on the original release, despite being value for money in terms of quantity; Beyoncé could've condensed the content to a shorter track listing and thus released a stunning album free of fillers. As it happens, as much as her talent shines, she unfortunately dilutes her fine form with much weaker tracks: disappointing inconsistency. Having said that, for it's high points, 'I Am... Sasha Fierce [Platinum Edition]' is a fine showcase of the further progression, variety and musical maturity of an undoubted talent.
- Sat 1st Jun 2013 Beyoncé, Florence + the Machine, Ellie Goulding, Rita...Twickenham Stadium (Twickenham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 17th Aug 2013 V Festival 2013, Beyoncé, The Script, Jessie J, Beady...Hylands Park (Chelmsford)Buy Tickets
- Sun 18th Aug 2013 V Festival 2013, Beyoncé, The Script, Jessie J, Beady...Weston Park (Staffordshire)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Wed 22nd May 2013 Primavera Sound 2013, The Vaccines, Delorean, The BotsParc del Forum (Barcelona)More Info..
- Wed 22nd May 2013 Alicia KeysThe O2 (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Thu 23rd May 2013 Primavera Sound 2013, Dinosaur Jr, Bob Mould, Animal Collect...Parc del Forum (Barcelona)Buy Tickets
- Fri 24th May 2013 Primavera Sound 2013, Blur, The Breeders, Solange, Swans, Ti...Parc del Forum (Barcelona)Buy Tickets
- Fri 24th May 2013 to Fri 31st May 2013 Alicia Keys, MiguelBuy Tickets
- Fri 24th May 2013 BBC Radio 1's Big Weekend 2013, Calvin Harris, Chase and Sta...Banks of the River Foyle (Londonderry)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th May 2013 Field Day 2013, Animal Collective, Bat for Lashes, Charlie B...Victoria Park (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th May 2013 Primavera Sound 2013, Camera Obscura, Nick Cave and the Bad ...Parc del Forum (Barcelona)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th May 2013 Love Saves The Day 2013, Bonobo, AlunaGeorge, A*M*E, Bicep, ...Castle Park (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th May 2013 We Are FSTVL, Sven Väth, Ricardo Villalobos, Martinez, ...Damyns Hall Aerodrome (Essex)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th May 2013 BBC Radio 1's Big Weekend 2013, Biffy Clyro, The Vaccines, T...Banks of the River Foyle (Londonderry)Buy Tickets
- Sun 26th May 2013 Primavera Sound 2013, Deerhunter, Allah-Las, Come, Julie Doi...Parc del Forum (Barcelona)More Info..
- Sun 26th May 2013 As One in the Park 2013, Rita OraVictoria Park (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Sun 26th May 2013 MKCentre Square (Middlesbrough)Buy Tickets
- Sun 26th May 2013 Evolution Festival 2013, The Vaccines, Ellie Goulding, Rudim...Spillers Wharf (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Sun 26th May 2013 BBC Radio 1's Big Weekend 2013, Bruno Mars, Paramore, 30 Sec...Banks of the River Foyle (Londonderry)Buy Tickets
- Sun 26th May 2013 OsFest 2013, The Enemy, James Arthur, The Pigeon Detectives,...Oswestry Showground (Shropshire)Buy Tickets
- Sun 26th May 2013 MK, Âme, Maxxi Soundsystem, Ralph LawsonThe Faversham (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Mon 27th May 2013 Evolution Festival 2013, Paloma Faith, Jake Bugg, Bastille, ...Spillers Wharf (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Jun 2013 Allstarz Summer Party 2013, Jessie J, JLS, Union J, Amelia L...Madejski Stadium (Reading FC) (Reading)Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Jun 2013 Olly Murs, Diana Vickers, StooShe, TichThe Embankment (Peterborough)Buy Tickets
- Mon 3rd Jun 2013 to Fri 7th Jun 2013 Paloma Faith, Laura MvulaBuy Tickets
- Thu 6th Jun 2013 and Fri 7th Jun 2013 Olly MursBuy Tickets
- Fri 7th Jun 2013 RockNess 2013, Basement Jaxx, The Vaccines, Ellie Goulding, ...Clune Farm (Inverness)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Jun 2013 The Parklife Weekender 2013, Plan B, The Maccabees, Jessie W...Heaton Park (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Jun 2013 Rita OraNewbury Racecourse (Newbury)Buy Tickets
- Sun 9th Jun 2013 The Parklife Weekender 2013, Example, Rita Ora, Rudimental, ...Heaton Park (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sun 9th Jun 2013 Capital FM Summertime Ball 2013, Robbie Williams, Taylor Swi...Wembley Stadium (Wembley)Buy Tickets
- Mon 10th Jun 2013 and Sat 15th Jun 2013 Rihanna, David GuettaBuy Tickets
- Wed 12th Jun 2013 and Thu 13th Jun 2013 Kings of Leon, The WeeksBuy Tickets
- Wed 12th Jun 2013 and Thu 13th Jun 2013 RihannaBuy Tickets