Carmen Returns! - Carmen Live Review @ Royal Albert Hall (Kensington) - 26 Feb 2009
Photos: Michaela Volpe
Great were expectations of 'Carmen' returning to the prestigious Royal Albert Hall, telling from the full house attendance that night, there to witness the rendition of this timeless classic in the English language.
The four-act opera unfolded within the brilliantly recreated Iberian settings of Seville, staged on a round platform, which allowed for the exquisite flamenco, acrobatic, fire juggling and other routines of no less than 100 performers, whose costumes, although simple in design, through their colours, became characters of their own.
Despite the tragic fate of gypsy femme fatale, Carmen, _whose power of seduction leads her into the troublesome dilemma of having three men ( Don Jose, Lieutenant Zuniga and Matador Escamillo) seeking her love interest_, benefiting from the charisma of opera star Cristina Nassif and Louise Poole (who will take on the lead role in rotation throughout the run of this production), it must be said that Elizabeth Atherton's portrayal of lovelorn spinster, Micaela, stole the show with her vivid and engaging voice, which earned acclaim from the whole audience throughout! A performance which almost managed to console from the fact that the opera, sung in English, did at times lack precision in the performers' diction. A detail to some, but wasn't the point of having 'Carmen' translated into the English language to make her story intelligible to the largest number?... This said, musically, much credit goes to the ever-so perfectly synched Royal Philharmonic Orchestra!
After three hours of the universal crime of passion tale, somehow this 'Carmen' felt more like witnessing an extensive musical than an actual opera. But if the (much laudable) intentions behind it were to make this 'popular' story even more so, mission has been accomplished....
You may be interested in
- Sat 7th Feb 2015 to Tue 10th Mar 2015 Mastersingers of Nuremburg, English National OperaBuy Tickets
- Mon 9th Feb 2015 to Fri 13th Mar 2015 English National Opera, La TraviataBuy Tickets
- Thu 26th Feb 2015 to Sat 14th Mar 2015 English National Opera, The Indian QueenBuy Tickets
- Mon 30th Mar 2015 to Sun 12th Apr 2015 Sweeney Todd [ENO], Bryn Terfel, English National OperaBuy Tickets
- Thu 16th Apr 2015 to Sun 9th Aug 2015 Matthew Bourne's The Car ManBuy Tickets
- Wed 20th May 2015 to Fri 3rd Jul 2015 Carmen [ENO]Buy Tickets