Evolved - Martyn Joseph Album Review
Proud 'valley boy' shines...with Dragon tales aplenty, and more.
Hands up! I'm a proud Welshman, so it's tough being objective on this one. I'll try.
A few years ago, Martyn Joseph was dropped by Sony -it beggars belief. Must be regretting it, though they did benefit from five Top 50 UK singles. Now Joseph gets his chance to prove them outrageously wrong.
'Evolved', released on his own label, is littered with dazzling acoustic based songs, though tagged as the Welsh Bruce Springsteen, is slightly off -the- mark. Billy Bragg more like.
Joseph's passion (he's Welsh you know, living in Cardiff) is only matched by Rhyl's very own Mike Peters, of The Alarm. Not many singer - songwriters (without a band) can create what Martyn has delivered here. In fact, a band would diminish and spoil the whole thing.
Martyn has one magic touch - passion - and as you go through the songs, it just intensifies, peaking on the tragic events of Dic Penderyn, the Welsh working class hero Richard Lewis (1808 - 1831), associated with the Merthyr Rising. This wordy Taff has plenty of gushing lyrics to please all-comers as well, because he can spread his observations, biographical and autobiographical templates world-wide, with Arizona Dreams a prime example, using some deft harmonica-play giving it a genuine Americana rootsy feel.
It's his home-grown interests which bring the best results, and the fact this wonderful tunesmith reveals his soul, not as per usual, through his eyes, but his lyrics, found in particular on poignant Sing To My Soul, about the tragic Aberfan disaster, in which 114 people were killed, including 116 children.
It's a melodic beauty that opens the CD though- Kiss The World Beautiful, while jewel in the crown is the stunning Can't Breathe. This most filigree of ballads is enough draw tears, with Have An Angel..., coming a close second best. If Turn Me Tender doesn't turn you into jelly, well, nothing will. Closing a great album, he drools about his love affair with Cardiff Bay, hoping the great city will love him too, which I'm sure it does.
Okay, so the songs have been released before across various albums, but not in this format, hence, Evolved, and how.
Martyn tours extensively, in the USA and Canada, and you can catch him at Caernarfon's Galeri this Sunday 16 November and Chester's Telfords Warehouse on 25 November. (See website for details)
File under: It's a winner.
- Thu 30th Oct 2014 Martyn JosephThe Hare & Hounds 1/2 (Kings Heath)Buy Tickets
- Fri 31st Oct 2014 Martyn JosephThe Ropewalk/ Ropery Hall (Lincolnshire)Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Nov 2014 Martyn JosephThe Greystones (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Nov 2014 Martyn JosephBackstage at the Green Hotel (Kinross)Buy Tickets
- Sun 16th Nov 2014 Martyn JosephThe Brook (Southampton)Buy Tickets
- Wed 19th Nov 2014 Martyn JosephThe Musician (Leicester)Buy Tickets
- Thu 20th Nov 2014 Martyn JosephHuntingdon Hall (Worcester)Buy Tickets
- Tue 25th Nov 2014 Martyn JosephTelford's Warehouse (Chester)Buy Tickets
- Thu 4th Dec 2014 Martyn JosephUnderground Theatre (Eastbourne)Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Dec 2014 Martyn JosephKingskerswell Parish Church (Newton Abbot)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Fri 1st Aug 2014 Tom RobinsonJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Aug 2014 to Fri 24th Oct 2014 Seth LakemanBuy Tickets
- Fri 5th Sep 2014 to Fri 10th Oct 2014 Steve KnightleyBuy Tickets
- Sat 6th Sep 2014 to Thu 25th Sep 2014 Phil BeerBuy Tickets
- Fri 19th Sep 2014 Undercover Festival: Gentleman's Dub Club, Penetration, Spear of Destiny, UK Subs...Bisley Pavilion - Brookwood (Surrey)Buy Tickets
- Sat 4th Oct 2014 Derby Folk Festival, Show of Hands, Coope, Boyes and SimpsonAssembly Rooms (Derby)Buy Tickets
- Fri 10th Oct 2014 to Sat 22nd Nov 2014 Kinross-shire Music Festival: Eddi ReaderBuy Tickets
- Thu 16th Oct 2014 to Sat 15th Nov 2014 Show of HandsBuy Tickets
- Wed 22nd Oct 2014 Show of Hands, Steve Knightley, Miranda SykesAssembly Hall Theatre (Tunbridge Wells)Buy Tickets
- Sun 9th Nov 2014 and Sat 29th Nov 2014 Blackbeard's Tea PartyBuy Tickets
- Fri 14th Nov 2014 Show of Hands, Miranda SykesThe Court Room/St George's Hall (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Tue 9th Dec 2014 Elton JohnThe O2 (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Sat 20th Dec 2014 and Mon 22nd Dec 2014 The Albion BandBuy Tickets