Evolved - Martyn Joseph Album Review
Proud 'valley boy' shines...with Dragon tales aplenty, and more.
Hands up! I'm a proud Welshman, so it's tough being objective on this one. I'll try.
A few years ago, Martyn Joseph was dropped by Sony -it beggars belief. Must be regretting it, though they did benefit from five Top 50 UK singles. Now Joseph gets his chance to prove them outrageously wrong.
'Evolved', released on his own label, is littered with dazzling acoustic based songs, though tagged as the Welsh Bruce Springsteen, is slightly off -the- mark. Billy Bragg more like.
Joseph's passion (he's Welsh you know, living in Cardiff) is only matched by Rhyl's very own Mike Peters, of The Alarm. Not many singer - songwriters (without a band) can create what Martyn has delivered here. In fact, a band would diminish and spoil the whole thing.
Martyn has one magic touch - passion - and as you go through the songs, it just intensifies, peaking on the tragic events of Dic Penderyn, the Welsh working class hero Richard Lewis (1808 - 1831), associated with the Merthyr Rising. This wordy Taff has plenty of gushing lyrics to please all-comers as well, because he can spread his observations, biographical and autobiographical templates world-wide, with Arizona Dreams a prime example, using some deft harmonica-play giving it a genuine Americana rootsy feel.
It's his home-grown interests which bring the best results, and the fact this wonderful tunesmith reveals his soul, not as per usual, through his eyes, but his lyrics, found in particular on poignant Sing To My Soul, about the tragic Aberfan disaster, in which 114 people were killed, including 116 children.
It's a melodic beauty that opens the CD though- Kiss The World Beautiful, while jewel in the crown is the stunning Can't Breathe. This most filigree of ballads is enough draw tears, with Have An Angel..., coming a close second best. If Turn Me Tender doesn't turn you into jelly, well, nothing will. Closing a great album, he drools about his love affair with Cardiff Bay, hoping the great city will love him too, which I'm sure it does.
Okay, so the songs have been released before across various albums, but not in this format, hence, Evolved, and how.
Martyn tours extensively, in the USA and Canada, and you can catch him at Caernarfon's Galeri this Sunday 16 November and Chester's Telfords Warehouse on 25 November. (See website for details)
File under: It's a winner.
- Fri 21st Jun 2013 Martyn Joseph, Luke JacksonCaroline Street Social Club (Shipley)Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Jun 2013 Martyn JosephRowney Green Village Hall (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Sun 23rd Jun 2013 Martyn JosephSefton Park (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Aug 2013 Wickham Festival 2013, Seth Lakeman, Show of Hands, Spiers a...A Farm in Wickham (Hampshire)Buy Tickets
- Sun 27th Oct 2013 Martyn JosephCentre Stage (Bournemouth)Buy Tickets
- Thu 28th Nov 2013 Martyn JosephCecil Sharp House (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sun 8th Dec 2013 Martyn JosephThe Greystones (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Thu 23rd May 2013 to Mon 4th Nov 2013 Luke JacksonBuy Tickets
- Fri 24th May 2013 and Sat 25th May 2013 Ireby Festival 2013Buy Tickets
- Fri 24th May 2013 to Sun 13th Oct 2013 Seth LakemanBuy Tickets
- Fri 24th May 2013 to Sat 5th Apr 2014 O'Hooley & TidowBuy Tickets
- Fri 24th May 2013 to Fri 29th Nov 2013 The BlockheadsBuy Tickets
- Fri 24th May 2013 to Thu 30th May 2013 Phil BeerBuy Tickets
- Sat 25th May 2013 Spiers and BodenCecil Sharp House (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Mon 27th May 2013 to Wed 5th Jun 2013 Eliza Carthy, Jim MorayMore Info..
- Fri 31st May 2013 to Sat 22nd Jun 2013 TV SmithBuy Tickets
- Sat 1st Jun 2013 The Vibrators, TV SmithThe Citrus Club (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Tue 4th Jun 2013 to Thu 21st Nov 2013 LAUBuy Tickets
- Wed 5th Jun 2013 and Fri 7th Feb 2014 Steve KnightleyBuy Tickets
- Thu 6th Jun 2013 Oysterband, Luke JacksonThe Point (Eastleigh)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Jun 2013 ShoogleniftyBrewery Arts Centre (Kendal)Buy Tickets
- Thu 13th Jun 2013 Isle of Wight Festival 2013, Happy Mondays, The Farm, The Bl...Seaclose Park (Newport [Isle of Wight])Buy Tickets
- Fri 21st Jun 2013 to Sat 7th Dec 2013 Show of HandsBuy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Jun 2013 Beverley Festival 2013, Show of Hands, Miranda Sykes, LAU, S...Beverley Racecourse (Yorkshire)Buy Tickets
- Sun 23rd Jun 2013 Live at the Marquee, Elton JohnMarquee (Cork)Buy Tickets
- Sun 23rd Jun 2013 Show of Hands, Nancy Kerr & James Fagan, Eleanor McEvoy,...Wivenhoe House Hotel (Colchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 6th Jul 2013 The National Forest Folk Festival 2013, Norma Waterson, Eliz...The National Forest Folk Club - Moira (Ashby de la Zouch)Buy Tickets
- Sun 7th Jul 2013 Cornbury Festival 2013, Van Morrison, Amy MacDonald, Bellowh...The Great Tew Park (Oxfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 12th Jul 2013 Barclaycard British Summer Time in Hyde Park 2013, Elton Joh...Hyde Park (Knightsbridge)On SaleThu 23rd Mayat 9am
- Fri 19th Jul 2013 Hebridean Celtic Festival 2013, Capercaillie, Battlefield Ba...Various Venues (Isle of Lewis)Buy Tickets
- Sun 21st Jul 2013 Penn Festival 2013, Nick Heyward, Space, The Beat, The Block...The Big Park [Penn House] (Buckinghamshire)Buy Tickets
- Sun 21st Jul 2013 Folk by the Oak 2013, Kate Rusby, LAU, Oysterband, Martin Si...Hatfield House (Hatfield)Buy Tickets
- Sat 27th Jul 2013 Cambridge Folk Festival 2013, The Mavericks, KT Tunstall, Ma...Cherry Hinton Hall (Cambridge)Buy Tickets
- Sun 28th Jul 2013 Rewind Scotland - the '80s Festival 2013, OMD, Level 42, Ton...Scone Palace (Perth and Kinross)Buy Tickets
- Sun 28th Jul 2013 Cambridge Folk Festival 2013, The Waterboys, Capercaillie, M...Cherry Hinton Hall (Cambridge)Buy Tickets
- Thu 1st Aug 2013 Wickham Festival 2013A Farm in Wickham (Hampshire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Aug 2013 Wickham Festival 2013, The Waterboys, Lunasa, Shooglenifty, ...A Farm in Wickham (Hampshire)Buy Tickets
- Sun 4th Aug 2013 Wickham Festival 2013, Rolf Harris, Peatbog Faeries, The Blo...A Farm in Wickham (Hampshire)Buy Tickets