Songs For The Road - David Ford Album Review
If you've never listened to Eastbourne resident David Ford, you're probably living on another planet. As if 2006s Sorry For All The Trouble I've Caused wasn't brilliant enough, he's gone (and almost) done it all over again, though the angst has mutated into a slighly less agressive format. The bulk of the album is full of superb torch songs. A vocal crossbreed of James Blunt and Damien Rice, there's a clear indication of his asault on the singles charts is Motown styled Decimate, drawing heavily on the Funk Brothers 60s beats. Nothing else matches it in terms of popiness, though an uplifting Nobody Tell Me What To Do comes close enough to be an excellent next single. Sorry For All... possessed a great deal of pain, which morphed into anger, whereas, here it's a tad melancholic, signalled by the break-up song Go To Hell, as he articulately tackles the anguish, accompanied by swirling strings and jangly bits. The Damien Rice melancholy returns on power ballad I'm Alright Now, yet again, heartache explodes via huge orchestration and heartfelt lyrics. The romantic doom is highlighted on Train, as 'he' prepares to leave his lover on a journey to who knows where. Requiem is home made pizza of Dylanesque proportions, starting in low- glo format until it erupts wildly for the close, with some sensual sax tailing it off. Topping an excellent album, though not quite as good as his debut, but still very good, a countryfied ( steel guitar etc ) And So You Fell plods gently out.
- Fri 10th Oct 2014 The South, David FordWaterside Arts Centre (Sale)Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th Nov 2014 The David Ford Orchestra: David FordUnion Chapel (Islington)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Nov 2014 The David Ford Orchestra: David FordEpic Centre (Norwich)Buy Tickets
- Thu 4th Dec 2014 The David Ford Orchestra: David FordOran Mor (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Fri 5th Dec 2014 The David Ford Orchestra: David FordThe Sage (Gateshead)Buy Tickets
- Sat 6th Dec 2014 The David Ford Orchestra: David FordGorilla (Manchester)Buy Tickets