That's the Way (My Love Is) - The Smashing Pumpkins Single Review
Not having heard Smashing Pumpkins return album Zeitgeist, this was my first contact with the latest incarnation of a band that have been around (and critically acclaimed) for a long time. Previous material has been innovative, distinctive and intelligent and I plugged in my headphones with some trepidation - it's never nice to be disappointed.
The single starts with a drum intro from Jimmy Chamberlin that could have come straight from the Mellon Collie era and musically it's as familiar and technically competent as ever. Layered guitars, a dense rhythm section and the trademark overdubbed space sound distortion combine to wrap the vocals in sharpened fuzz. When a new guitar part kicks in you get the feeling that precise hours of fine tuning have gone into getting the amp setting absolutely right. The attention to detail (or obsessive fiddling) that Billy Corgan has often been praised (or criticised) for here pays off and the production can't be faulted.
Technical prowess is no substitute for original ideas, and it's here that criticisms can be made. Brilliant lyrics have come sporadically to Corgan, varying between perceptive, emotive storytelling Lily (My One and Only) and obscure meanderings Suffer. Lyrical competence is, of course, in the ear of the listener but to hear 'baby' replace the girls' names of previous songs feels like a transformation from personal, heartfelt emotion to generic sentiments.
That's the way my love is
That's the way I care
You should call on me baby
'Cause I'm always there for you,
is a long way from the bands' best efforts.
Smashing Pumpkins have always played 'verse, chorus, verse, bridge, verse, outro' but here the dynamic changes that infused previous effort have become pedestrian. Even the obligatory guitar solo, once a soaring, crashing cacophony of shrill and growling notes has become a simple variation on the vocal melody. This is still well crafted stadium rock, but the nuances and intrigue of the band's pre-2000 work are missing. The correlation with a new line up (excepting Chamberlin and Corgan) is perhaps indicative that a band is always more than its lead singer. Though Corgan has kept the name and sound of the Smashing Pumpkins, there is something missing and the music has consequently suffered.
You may be interested in
- Mon 30th Mar 2015 to Mon 4th May 2015 Simple MindsBuy Tickets
- Fri 10th Apr 2015 to Sat 31st Oct 2015 Heaven 17Buy Tickets
- Mon 20th Apr 2015 to Fri 8th May 2015 Laura MarlingBuy Tickets
- Thu 14th May 2015 to Sat 23rd May 2015 Eric ClaptonBuy Tickets
- Sat 16th May 2015 The Human LeagueDoncaster Racecourse (Doncaster)Buy Tickets
- Mon 25th May 2015 Foo Fighters, Kaiser ChiefsStadium of Light (Sunderland AFC) (Sunderland)Buy Tickets
- Wed 27th May 2015 Foo Fighters, Teenage FanclubEmirates Old Trafford (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 30th May 2015 Foo Fighters, Kaiser Chiefs, HozierSlane Castle (Meath)Buy Tickets
- Sat 13th Jun 2015 Download, Muse, Faith No More, A Day To Remember, Marilyn Ma...Donington Park - Castle Donington (Derbyshire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 19th Jun 2015 and Sat 20th Jun 2015 Foo Fighters, Iggy Pop, Royal BloodBuy Tickets
- Sat 20th Jun 2015 Let's Rock Leeds, Go West, Odyssey, Rick Astley, The Beat, H...Temple Newsam (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Tue 23rd Jun 2015 Foo Fighters, Royal BloodMurrayfield Stadium (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Fri 26th Jun 2015 Glastonbury, Foo FightersWorthy Farm (Somerset)Buy Tickets
- Sun 28th Jun 2015 to Sat 4th Jul 2015 AC/DC: Rock or BustBuy Tickets
- Sat 4th Jul 2015 Calling Festival, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, Ryan A...Clapham Common (London)Buy Tickets
- Thu 9th Jul 2015 NOS Alive, Muse, Alt-JPasseio Marítimo de Algés (Lisbon)Buy Tickets
- Sat 11th Jul 2015 Let's Rock Southampton, Jimmy Somerville, Hot Chocolate, Mid...Southampton Common (Southampton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 8th Aug 2015 Rewind Festival North, Soul II Soul, The Human League, Kim W...Capesthorne Hall (Cheshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Aug 2015 Flashback Festival, The Human League, Marc Almond, Jason Don...Clumber Park (Worksop)Buy Tickets
- Mon 16th Nov 2015 London Jazz Festival, Kurt EllingCadogan Hall (Kensington and Chelsea)Buy Tickets