Lady Croissant - Sia Furler Album Review
All songs are recorded live at the Bowery Ballroom New York on April 17 2006, except new studio song Pictures. Sia Furler is best known for her vocal contributions as back-up for Jamiroquai, Massive Attack and Zero 7's album 'The Garden' in 2006. With 4.6 million plays on MySpace, it's a strong indication the chanteuse is gathering a formidable reputation and following globally. This impeccable singer shows her quality and class on originals from her first two albums Healing Is Difficult, Colour The Small One, and covers of Zero 7's Destiny and Distractions from Simple Things. She handles and power ballads with equal efficiency and conviction, though breaking the UK market may take some doing as a solo artist. Nevertheless, Sia's 'Lady Croissant' is an exquisite collection by a woman on top of her game as she trawls through jazzy, soul, R&B that provide her with the golden opportunity, live, to show what a beautiful, delicate and powerful melodic singer she actually is as a lead performer, as opposed to providing support for others. Sia has grabbed her chance with sincerity and conviction. There's of raw emotion, balance nicely with warmth and tenderness, found in bucket-loads Don't Bring Me Down (sounding like Fleetwood Mac's Stevie Nicks) Breathe Me. Melancholy is also her department, with violin drenched Blown It All Away. On Distractions, a stirring ballad, she's lets rip with equal efficiency bringing a massive cheer from the fans. Apart from Pictures, there's little evidence of her going down the populist route, because, most songs here don't have much chance of commercial airplay. And there's nowt wrong with that. This girl is doing things her way, for which she should be admired. A remote possibility is a cover of The Pretenders' I Go To Sleep, a major highlight of the album.
She will be critically lauded for this effort, but commercial sales might elude her, this time.
You may be interested in
- Thu 17th Sep 2015 Mikky EkkoOslo (Hackney)Buy Tickets
- Wed 14th Oct 2015 Martha TilstonThe Red Lion (Kings Heath)Buy Tickets
- Thu 22nd Oct 2015 to Thu 29th Oct 2015 FoxesBuy Tickets
- Fri 6th Nov 2015 Giorgio MoroderKOKO (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Fri 13th Nov 2015 Ultimate '80s: T'Pau, LimahlButlins (Bognor Regis)Buy Tickets
- Tue 17th Nov 2015 and Wed 18th Nov 2015 Melody GardotBuy Tickets
- Fri 11th Dec 2015 In:Motion, José GonzálezMotion/ The Marble Factory (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Sat 12th Dec 2015 and Mon 14th Dec 2015 José GonzálezBuy Tickets