Foundations - Kate Nash Single Review
Photo By:Sonny Malhotra
Could you imagine Lily Allen and Lady Sovereign meeting the Bjork of eight years ago, on Celebrity Love Island and bursting into song after musing over the vagaries attached to first dates? Kate flits ruggedly between an almost hip-hop vocal gait and a bland anti-folk one. The songs builds, as Kate tears into fading romantic flame with cutting jibes that would make Simon Cowell seem like a counsellor;
You said I must eat so many lemons, cos I am so bitter.
I said I'd rather be with your friends mate, cos they are much fitter.
A lobbing piano-led, spring-time backing plain allows this dark humoured Londoner to stomp over it with cocky prowess. The old school approach of
when I've got something to say; I'll just say it, love!is shamelessly deployed and it doesn't make bad listening at all.
You may be interested in
- Thu 12th Dec 2013 Slow ClubQueens Social Club (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Mon 16th Dec 2013 Anna MeredithSebright Arms (London)Buy Tickets
- Tue 31st Dec 2013 Chase and Status, MC Rage, New Year's Eve PartyTFM Soundworks (Middlesbrough)Buy Tickets
- Wed 29th Jan 2014 to Fri 28th Mar 2014 MetronomyBuy Tickets
- Wed 29th Jan 2014 to Fri 18th Apr 2014 The Wave PicturesBuy Tickets
- Wed 12th Mar 2014 Bombay Bicycle Club, Trophy Wife [UK]O2 Academy (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Thu 13th Mar 2014 Metronomy, OlugbengaO2 Academy 1 & 2 (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Thu 1st May 2014 Billy BraggEventim Apollo (Hammersmith)Buy Tickets
- Sat 7th Jun 2014 Field Day, MetronomyVictoria Park (Hackney)Buy Tickets