Jane Siberry announces rare spring 2013 UK shows
Acclaimed Canadian chanteuse to perform intimate concerts in May, tickets on sale now
In the same time-honoured tradition of eclectic singers such as Kate Bush, k.d. lang, Tori Amos and the estranged Mary Margaret O'Hara, Canadian Jane Siberry is something of an enigma and an eccentric (in British terms, at any rate). For over thirty years the songwriter has been performing poetic left-of-centre stories and songs that have gained her an adoring audience on both sides of the Atlantic.
Perhaps her most familiar shots at the UK psyche were her major-label albums "Bound by the Beauty", featuring a few stone-wall classics such as "Everything Reminds Me of My Dog" and "The Valley", as well as the jaunty part-country part-folksy title-track, and its follow-up 1993's "When I Was a Boy", which contained a duet with k.d. lang "Calling All Angels" and the unlikely club-hit "Temple".
Since the mid '90s however, after eschewing the shackles of a major-label and setting up her own Sheeba Records, Siberry's grip on the competitive UK scene lessened and, after renaming herself 'Issa', promptly slipped out of our focus. Until now, that is. After performing oodles of intimate shows in people's homes, cottages, apartments and other private 'spaces' across the pond last year (she calls the concept, salons), the singer has earmarked slightly larger venues for her return to the UK.
Her first stop is The Pheasantry in London where she will play four nights from 5th to 8th May, before heading to Birmingham, Bury, Selby, Nottingham, Milton Keynes, Farncombe and finally Tewkesbury on 2nd June.
Tickets are on sale for all shows now and are priced from £15 to £20. Expect a career-spanning show, maybe stretching from "The Speckless Sky" to last year's "Meshach Dreams Back".
You may be interested in
- Fri 10th Jul 2015 to Sun 11th Oct 2015 Jah WobbleBuy Tickets
- Sat 18th Jul 2015 Splendour, The Specials, James, Jess Glynne, Lawson, Roots M...Wollaton Park/ Hall (Nottingham)Buy Tickets
- Wed 19th Aug 2015 JamesWorcester Racecourse (Worcester)Buy Tickets
- Wed 26th Aug 2015 Magners Summer Nights, JamesRoss Bandstand (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Sat 12th Sep 2015 Lone Wolf, Napoleon IIIrdBrudenell Social (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Thu 1st Oct 2015 to Wed 7th Oct 2015 Bryan FerryBuy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Oct 2015 and Fri 13th Nov 2015 The OrbBuy Tickets
- Wed 21st Oct 2015 to Wed 4th Nov 2015 Songhoy BluesBuy Tickets
- Sun 25th Oct 2015 to Sat 7th Nov 2015 U2: iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCEBuy Tickets
- Fri 6th Nov 2015 and Fri 13th Nov 2015 808 StateBuy Tickets
- Thu 26th Nov 2015 to Tue 1st Dec 2015 Simple Minds, The StranglersBuy Tickets