Jane Siberry announces rare spring 2013 UK shows
Acclaimed Canadian chanteuse to perform intimate concerts in May, tickets on sale now
In the same time-honoured tradition of eclectic singers such as Kate Bush, k.d. lang, Tori Amos and the estranged Mary Margaret O'Hara, Canadian Jane Siberry is something of an enigma and an eccentric (in British terms, at any rate). For over thirty years the songwriter has been performing poetic left-of-centre stories and songs that have gained her an adoring audience on both sides of the Atlantic.
Perhaps her most familiar shots at the UK psyche were her major-label albums "Bound by the Beauty", featuring a few stone-wall classics such as "Everything Reminds Me of My Dog" and "The Valley", as well as the jaunty part-country part-folksy title-track, and its follow-up 1993's "When I Was a Boy", which contained a duet with k.d. lang "Calling All Angels" and the unlikely club-hit "Temple".
Since the mid '90s however, after eschewing the shackles of a major-label and setting up her own Sheeba Records, Siberry's grip on the competitive UK scene lessened and, after renaming herself 'Issa', promptly slipped out of our focus. Until now, that is. After performing oodles of intimate shows in people's homes, cottages, apartments and other private 'spaces' across the pond last year (she calls the concept, salons), the singer has earmarked slightly larger venues for her return to the UK.
Her first stop is The Pheasantry in London where she will play four nights from 5th to 8th May, before heading to Birmingham, Bury, Selby, Nottingham, Milton Keynes, Farncombe and finally Tewkesbury on 2nd June.
Tickets are on sale for all shows now and are priced from £15 to £20. Expect a career-spanning show, maybe stretching from "The Speckless Sky" to last year's "Meshach Dreams Back".
You may be interested in
- Wed 17th Sep 2014 to Sat 27th Sep 2014 Joan BaezBuy Tickets
- Fri 19th Sep 2014 and Fri 24th Apr 2015 Jon HopkinsBuy Tickets
- Fri 10th Oct 2014 to Sat 21st Feb 2015 The OrbBuy Tickets
- Fri 10th Oct 2014 and Sat 8th Nov 2014 Jah Wobble, Aziz Ibrahim: Invaders of the HeartBuy Tickets
- Sat 11th Oct 2014 CarmelThe Albany (Deptford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 11th Oct 2014 Richard Strange, Bill Nelson, Gavin Bryars: Language Is A Virus From Outer SpaceQueen Elizabeth Hall (Lambeth)Buy Tickets
- Mon 13th Oct 2014 and Fri 14th Nov 2014 Jah WobbleBuy Tickets
- Fri 17th Oct 2014 to Tue 21st Oct 2014 Gregory Alan IsakovBuy Tickets
- Sat 25th Oct 2014 808 State: 25 Years of Pacific StateO2 ABC (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Fri 7th Nov 2014 and Sat 13th Dec 2014 A Certain RatioBuy Tickets
- Mon 10th Nov 2014 JamesO2 Academy (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Tue 11th Nov 2014 to Sun 23rd Nov 2014 James, StarsailorBuy Tickets
- Fri 12th Dec 2014 The Warehouse Project, Jamie XX, Jon Hopkins, Modeselektor, ...Victoria Warehouse (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Tue 7th Apr 2015 to Wed 15th Apr 2015 Sting, Paul Simon: On Stage TogetherBuy Tickets