Jane Siberry announces rare spring 2013 UK shows
Acclaimed Canadian chanteuse to perform intimate concerts in May, tickets on sale now
In the same time-honoured tradition of eclectic singers such as Kate Bush, k.d. lang, Tori Amos and the estranged Mary Margaret O'Hara, Canadian Jane Siberry is something of an enigma and an eccentric (in British terms, at any rate). For over thirty years the songwriter has been performing poetic left-of-centre stories and songs that have gained her an adoring audience on both sides of the Atlantic.
Perhaps her most familiar shots at the UK psyche were her major-label albums "Bound by the Beauty", featuring a few stone-wall classics such as "Everything Reminds Me of My Dog" and "The Valley", as well as the jaunty part-country part-folksy title-track, and its follow-up 1993's "When I Was a Boy", which contained a duet with k.d. lang "Calling All Angels" and the unlikely club-hit "Temple".
Since the mid '90s however, after eschewing the shackles of a major-label and setting up her own Sheeba Records, Siberry's grip on the competitive UK scene lessened and, after renaming herself 'Issa', promptly slipped out of our focus. Until now, that is. After performing oodles of intimate shows in people's homes, cottages, apartments and other private 'spaces' across the pond last year (she calls the concept, salons), the singer has earmarked slightly larger venues for her return to the UK.
Her first stop is The Pheasantry in London where she will play four nights from 5th to 8th May, before heading to Birmingham, Bury, Selby, Nottingham, Milton Keynes, Farncombe and finally Tewkesbury on 2nd June.
Tickets are on sale for all shows now and are priced from £15 to £20. Expect a career-spanning show, maybe stretching from "The Speckless Sky" to last year's "Meshach Dreams Back".
You may be interested in
- Thu 19th Dec 2013 Coldplay, David Brent and the Foregone Conclusion, Lily Alle...: Under1RoofEventim Apollo (Hammersmith)More Info..
- Fri 14th Feb 2014 to Tue 25th Feb 2014 Penguin CafeBuy Tickets
- Fri 21st Feb 2014 A Certain RatioUnder the Bridge (Fulham)Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Feb 2014 Jon HopkinsThe Forum (Kentish Town)Buy Tickets
- Wed 26th Mar 2014 to Sat 18th Oct 2014 The Orb: Adventures beyond the Ultraworld and UFOrb - liveBuy Tickets
- Thu 27th Mar 2014 Annie WhiteheadVortex Jazz Club (London)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Mar 2014 808 State, Noasis, Bez, Missing AndyThe Corn Exchange (Bedford)Buy Tickets