Jane Siberry announces rare spring 2013 UK shows
Acclaimed Canadian chanteuse to perform intimate concerts in May, tickets on sale now
In the same time-honoured tradition of eclectic singers such as Kate Bush, k.d. lang, Tori Amos and the estranged Mary Margaret O'Hara, Canadian Jane Siberry is something of an enigma and an eccentric (in British terms, at any rate). For over thirty years the songwriter has been performing poetic left-of-centre stories and songs that have gained her an adoring audience on both sides of the Atlantic.
Perhaps her most familiar shots at the UK psyche were her major-label albums "Bound by the Beauty", featuring a few stone-wall classics such as "Everything Reminds Me of My Dog" and "The Valley", as well as the jaunty part-country part-folksy title-track, and its follow-up 1993's "When I Was a Boy", which contained a duet with k.d. lang "Calling All Angels" and the unlikely club-hit "Temple".
Since the mid '90s however, after eschewing the shackles of a major-label and setting up her own Sheeba Records, Siberry's grip on the competitive UK scene lessened and, after renaming herself 'Issa', promptly slipped out of our focus. Until now, that is. After performing oodles of intimate shows in people's homes, cottages, apartments and other private 'spaces' across the pond last year (she calls the concept, salons), the singer has earmarked slightly larger venues for her return to the UK.
Her first stop is The Pheasantry in London where she will play four nights from 5th to 8th May, before heading to Birmingham, Bury, Selby, Nottingham, Milton Keynes, Farncombe and finally Tewkesbury on 2nd June.
Tickets are on sale for all shows now and are priced from £15 to £20. Expect a career-spanning show, maybe stretching from "The Speckless Sky" to last year's "Meshach Dreams Back".
You may be interested in
- Tue 1st Dec 2015 Simple Minds, The StranglersAECC GE Oil & Gas Arena (Aberdeen)Buy Tickets
- Sun 6th Dec 2015 The Warehouse Project, New Order, A Certain Ratio, Factory F...WHP Store Street (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 11th Dec 2015 Annie WhiteheadVortex Jazz Club (London)Buy Tickets
- Wed 16th Dec 2015 Blow The Fuse Jazz Club, Annie WhiteheadVortex Jazz Club (London)Buy Tickets
- Thu 4th Feb 2016 to Sat 13th Feb 2016 Joe JacksonBuy Tickets
- Wed 23rd Mar 2016 and Thu 24th Mar 2016 Jeff WoottonBuy Tickets
- Thu 14th Apr 2016 Jah Wobble: Invaders of the HeartJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sun 17th Apr 2016 to Fri 22nd Apr 2016 Bryan FerryBuy Tickets
- Mon 2nd May 2016 to Sat 21st May 2016 JamesBuy Tickets
- Sat 21st May 2016 Songhoy Blues, Fatoumata DiawaraRoundhouse (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 4th Jun 2016 to Sun 19th Jun 2016 ColdplayBuy Tickets