Bryan Ferry celebrates 40th anniversary with new album and 2013 UK tour
Roxy crooner turns to the Roaring Twenties for creative inspiration, tickets on sale Friday 30th November
For those following the fortunes of one Bryan Ferry, from Roxy Music to reunions and last year's "Olympia" solo-album, the announcement from the singer that his next project would involve '20s jazz-arrangements of his own songs and, more to the point, the formation of his own orchestra to carry it all off, without his dulcet croon an accompaniment, might come as a shock. To learn that he's also celebrating his 40th year as a solo artist with a full UK tour, probably won't - there's a lot of catalogue to wade through, for a start!
Bryan Ferry released his first solo album in 1973. Entitled "These Foolish Things", the entire set marked something of a departure from his usual glam-rockery found on Roxy Music records - it was all cover-versions, done in a smooth, languid style, with a few songs extracted from shows, rock and soul's deep vaults. The title-track came from the '30s, while others included Four Tops, Smokey Robinson and The Rolling Stones and while follow-up solo albums followed suit with more cover-versions, the 40-year old album stands up today as perhaps Ferry's most-refined homage to another age - until now, perhaps.
This week (26th November 2012), Bryan has temporarily hung up his mike to piece together and co-ordinate "The Jazz Age", an album of 13 Roxy and Ferry songs given a scat, ragtime and spatz make-over. The man himself isn't on the project and it's unlikely that much of the album will ever get aired outside of the usual Ferry circle of fans. The idea doesn't seem so strange when you note the first instrumental as being "Do the Strand" - it's a dance in itself. Someone on Strictly is bound to give it a go.
Giving it a go in 2013 will be Ferry himself with a full UK tour announced on the back of "The Jazz Age". He'll be appearing at various large venues across the UK, starting with Salford on 26th October 2013, followed by the likes of Nottingham, Ipswich, Cambridge and many more until Plymouth on 23rd November. The London show will take place at the Royal Albert Hall on 4th November, after which he will become Ferry across the Mersey (sorry, couldn't resist it) in Liverpool on the 6th.
Tickets will go on sale at various prices from 10am on Friday 30th November. Expect a career-spanning show and maybe just a bit of the Jazz Age mixed in - with Ferry in person this time.
- Sun 17th Apr 2016 Bryan FerryPerth Concert Hall (Perth)Buy Tickets
- Mon 18th Apr 2016 Bryan FerryAlbert Halls (Stirling)Buy Tickets
- Wed 20th Apr 2016 Bryan FerryLondon Palladium (Westminster)Buy Tickets
- Fri 22nd Apr 2016 Bryan FerryLondon Palladium (Westminster)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Sun 29th Nov 2015 and Tue 1st Dec 2015 Simple Minds, The StranglersBuy Tickets
- Wed 2nd Dec 2015 Radio X, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, Johnny Marr, Ne...: Road TripApollo (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 4th Dec 2015 to Sat 28th May 2016 Roxy MusiqueBuy Tickets
- Fri 4th Dec 2015 and Sat 5th Dec 2015 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, KT Tunstall...Buy Tickets
- Sun 6th Dec 2015 The Warehouse Project, New Order, A Certain Ratio, Factory F...WHP Store Street (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 12th Dec 2015 to Wed 30th Dec 2015 Alan BarnesBuy Tickets
- Sat 19th Dec 2015 to Mon 22nd Aug 2016 Van MorrisonBuy Tickets
- Thu 7th Jan 2016 to Sat 12th Mar 2016 Paul CarrackBuy Tickets
- Thu 28th Jan 2016 PentangleRobin 2 (Wolverhampton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 30th Jan 2016 Roxy MagicCitadel Arts Centre (St. Helens)Buy Tickets
- Sun 31st Jan 2016 Mick RalphsBackstage at the Green Hotel (Kinross)Buy Tickets
- Sat 19th Mar 2016 and Sat 2nd Apr 2016 Curved AirBuy Tickets
- Wed 23rd Mar 2016 and Thu 24th Mar 2016 Jeff WoottonBuy Tickets
- Wed 30th Mar 2016 Pentangle, Jacqui McShee's PentangleKomedia (Brighton)Buy Tickets
- Thu 14th Apr 2016 Jah Wobble: Invaders of the HeartJazz Cafe (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 16th Apr 2016 Larry Miller, Mick Ralphs, The GraveltonesO2 Academy 1 & 2 (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Fri 29th Apr 2016 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Gilson Lavi...Winter Gardens (Margate)Buy Tickets
- Mon 2nd May 2016 to Sat 21st May 2016 JamesBuy Tickets
- Sat 21st May 2016 Songhoy Blues, Fatoumata DiawaraRoundhouse (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sat 4th Jun 2016 to Sun 19th Jun 2016 ColdplayBuy Tickets
- Fri 10th Jun 2016 to Sun 26th Jun 2016 Nocturne: Elton JohnBuy Tickets