Bryan Ferry celebrates 40th anniversary with new album and 2013 UK tour
Roxy crooner turns to the Roaring Twenties for creative inspiration, tickets on sale Friday 30th November
For those following the fortunes of one Bryan Ferry, from Roxy Music to reunions and last year's "Olympia" solo-album, the announcement from the singer that his next project would involve '20s jazz-arrangements of his own songs and, more to the point, the formation of his own orchestra to carry it all off, without his dulcet croon an accompaniment, might come as a shock. To learn that he's also celebrating his 40th year as a solo artist with a full UK tour, probably won't - there's a lot of catalogue to wade through, for a start!
Bryan Ferry released his first solo album in 1973. Entitled "These Foolish Things", the entire set marked something of a departure from his usual glam-rockery found on Roxy Music records - it was all cover-versions, done in a smooth, languid style, with a few songs extracted from shows, rock and soul's deep vaults. The title-track came from the '30s, while others included Four Tops, Smokey Robinson and The Rolling Stones and while follow-up solo albums followed suit with more cover-versions, the 40-year old album stands up today as perhaps Ferry's most-refined homage to another age - until now, perhaps.
This week (26th November 2012), Bryan has temporarily hung up his mike to piece together and co-ordinate "The Jazz Age", an album of 13 Roxy and Ferry songs given a scat, ragtime and spatz make-over. The man himself isn't on the project and it's unlikely that much of the album will ever get aired outside of the usual Ferry circle of fans. The idea doesn't seem so strange when you note the first instrumental as being "Do the Strand" - it's a dance in itself. Someone on Strictly is bound to give it a go.
Giving it a go in 2013 will be Ferry himself with a full UK tour announced on the back of "The Jazz Age". He'll be appearing at various large venues across the UK, starting with Salford on 26th October 2013, followed by the likes of Nottingham, Ipswich, Cambridge and many more until Plymouth on 23rd November. The London show will take place at the Royal Albert Hall on 4th November, after which he will become Ferry across the Mersey (sorry, couldn't resist it) in Liverpool on the 6th.
Tickets will go on sale at various prices from 10am on Friday 30th November. Expect a career-spanning show and maybe just a bit of the Jazz Age mixed in - with Ferry in person this time.
- Thu 1st Oct 2015 Bryan FerryGuildhall (Portsmouth)Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Oct 2015 Bryan FerryThe Lighthouse (Poole)Buy Tickets
- Mon 5th Oct 2015 Bryan FerryColston Hall/ Lantern (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Wed 7th Oct 2015 Bryan FerryBrighton Dome/ Concert Hall (Brighton)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Fri 14th Aug 2015 to Fri 11th Dec 2015 Roxy MusiqueBuy Tickets
- Sun 16th Aug 2015 Pet Shop BoysSuvilahti - Helsinki (Finland)Buy Tickets
- Wed 19th Aug 2015 JamesWorcester Racecourse (Worcester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 21st Aug 2015 and Sun 31st Jan 2016 Mick RalphsBuy Tickets
- Sun 23rd Aug 2015 to Fri 20th Nov 2015 Van MorrisonBuy Tickets
- Wed 26th Aug 2015 Magners Summer Nights, JamesRoss Bandstand (Edinburgh)Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th Aug 2015 Leeds Festival, The Libertines, Kendrick Lamar, Jamie T, The...Bramham Park (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Sun 30th Aug 2015 Reading Festival, The Libertines, Kendrick Lamar, Jamie T, T...Little John's Farm (Reading)Buy Tickets
- Tue 1st Sep 2015 SU:M, Arthur Jeffes: Penguin CafePurcell Room (London)Buy Tickets
- Fri 4th Sep 2015 Weyfest, Paul CarrackThe Rural Life Centre - Old Kiln Museum (Farnham)Buy Tickets
- Fri 4th Sep 2015 to Sat 14th Nov 2015 Curved AirBuy Tickets
- Sat 5th Sep 2015 to Sat 3rd Oct 2015 David GilmourBuy Tickets
- Sat 12th Sep 2015 to Sat 5th Mar 2016 Paul CarrackBuy Tickets
- Sat 12th Sep 2015 Lone Wolf, Napoleon IIIrdBrudenell Social (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Sat 12th Sep 2015 Simple MindsHickstead Showground (Burgess Hill)Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th Sep 2015 to Sat 14th Nov 2015 Jah WobbleBuy Tickets
- Sat 19th Sep 2015 Herts Jazz Festival, Claire Martin, The Three Tenors, Alan B...Hawthorne Theatre (Welwyn Garden City)Buy Tickets
- Mon 21st Sep 2015 and Tue 22nd Sep 2015 Neil Finn, Liam FinnBuy Tickets
- Wed 23rd Sep 2015 Neil FinnBloomsbury Theatre (Bloomsbury)Buy Tickets
- Wed 23rd Sep 2015 Fight Like ApesThe Garage (Highbury)Buy Tickets
- Fri 25th Sep 2015 to Sat 30th Jan 2016 Roxy MagicBuy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Oct 2015 to Fri 13th Nov 2015 The OrbBuy Tickets
- Sun 4th Oct 2015 to Wed 14th Oct 2015 Johnny MarrBuy Tickets
- Mon 12th Oct 2015 to Sat 21st Nov 2015 Mack & Mabel starring Michael Ball, Michael BallBuy Tickets
- Sun 18th Oct 2015 I'm with the Banned: David Gilmour, Pussy RiotKOKO (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Wed 21st Oct 2015 to Wed 4th Nov 2015 Songhoy BluesBuy Tickets
- Sat 24th Oct 2015 Sunshine of Your Love: Nitin Sawhney, Ginger Baker, Joss Stone, Phil Manzanera, Ian...Roundhouse (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sun 25th Oct 2015 to Sat 7th Nov 2015 U2: iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCEBuy Tickets
- Wed 28th Oct 2015 The CribsRoundhouse (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sun 1st Nov 2015 and Fri 6th Nov 2015 Killing Joke, Jah WobbleBuy Tickets
- Fri 6th Nov 2015 to Fri 20th Nov 2015 808 StateBuy Tickets
- Sun 8th Nov 2015 BluesFest, Tom Jones, Van MorrisonThe O2 Arena (Greenwich)Buy Tickets
- Sat 14th Nov 2015 to Sat 28th Nov 2015 The Orb, Dave DKBuy Tickets
- Thu 26th Nov 2015 to Tue 1st Dec 2015 Simple Minds, The StranglersBuy Tickets
- Fri 4th Dec 2015 and Sat 5th Dec 2015 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Ruby Turner...Buy Tickets
- Sun 6th Dec 2015 The Warehouse Project, New Order, A Certain Ratio, Factory F...WHP Store Street (Manchester)More Info..
- Thu 28th Jan 2016 PentangleRobin 2 (Wolverhampton)Buy Tickets