Bryan Ferry celebrates 40th anniversary with new album and 2013 UK tour
Roxy crooner turns to the Roaring Twenties for creative inspiration, tickets on sale Friday 30th November
For those following the fortunes of one Bryan Ferry, from Roxy Music to reunions and last year's "Olympia" solo-album, the announcement from the singer that his next project would involve '20s jazz-arrangements of his own songs and, more to the point, the formation of his own orchestra to carry it all off, without his dulcet croon an accompaniment, might come as a shock. To learn that he's also celebrating his 40th year as a solo artist with a full UK tour, probably won't - there's a lot of catalogue to wade through, for a start!
Bryan Ferry released his first solo album in 1973. Entitled "These Foolish Things", the entire set marked something of a departure from his usual glam-rockery found on Roxy Music records - it was all cover-versions, done in a smooth, languid style, with a few songs extracted from shows, rock and soul's deep vaults. The title-track came from the '30s, while others included Four Tops, Smokey Robinson and The Rolling Stones and while follow-up solo albums followed suit with more cover-versions, the 40-year old album stands up today as perhaps Ferry's most-refined homage to another age - until now, perhaps.
This week (26th November 2012), Bryan has temporarily hung up his mike to piece together and co-ordinate "The Jazz Age", an album of 13 Roxy and Ferry songs given a scat, ragtime and spatz make-over. The man himself isn't on the project and it's unlikely that much of the album will ever get aired outside of the usual Ferry circle of fans. The idea doesn't seem so strange when you note the first instrumental as being "Do the Strand" - it's a dance in itself. Someone on Strictly is bound to give it a go.
Giving it a go in 2013 will be Ferry himself with a full UK tour announced on the back of "The Jazz Age". He'll be appearing at various large venues across the UK, starting with Salford on 26th October 2013, followed by the likes of Nottingham, Ipswich, Cambridge and many more until Plymouth on 23rd November. The London show will take place at the Royal Albert Hall on 4th November, after which he will become Ferry across the Mersey (sorry, couldn't resist it) in Liverpool on the 6th.
Tickets will go on sale at various prices from 10am on Friday 30th November. Expect a career-spanning show and maybe just a bit of the Jazz Age mixed in - with Ferry in person this time.
You may be interested in
- Fri 14th Mar 2014 to Sat 21st Feb 2015 The OrbBuy Tickets
- Sat 15th Mar 2014 The Orb, Banco De GaiaElectric (Brixton)Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Mar 2014 to Sun 20th Jul 2014 Paul CarrackBuy Tickets
- Mon 24th Mar 2014 and Tue 25th Mar 2014 Johnny MarrBuy Tickets
- Sat 29th Mar 2014 808 State, Noasis, Bez, Missing AndyThe Corn Exchange (Bedford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Mar 2014 and Fri 12th Sep 2014 Roxy MagicBuy Tickets
- Wed 2nd Apr 2014 to Sat 18th Oct 2014 Curved AirBuy Tickets
- Tue 15th Apr 2014 and Wed 16th Apr 2014 Fight Like ApesBuy Tickets
- Wed 23rd Apr 2014 to Mon 5th May 2014 Neil FinnBuy Tickets
- Sun 25th May 2014 to Tue 27th May 2014 Emmylou Harris, Daniel Lanois: Wrecking BallBuy Tickets
- Sun 8th Jun 2014 The Parklife Weekender, Foals, Bastille, London Grammar, Sam...Heaton Park (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sun 15th Jun 2014 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Melanie C, ...Nostell Priory (Wakefield)Buy Tickets
- Sun 15th Jun 2014 Edwyn CollinsOran Mor (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Tue 17th Jun 2014 Hampton Court Palace Festival, Jamie CullumHampton Court Palace (Kingston upon Thames)Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Jun 2014 to Tue 9th Dec 2014 Elton JohnBuy Tickets
- Sat 28th Jun 2014 Elton John, Fundraising Event: SportsaidStoke Park Country Club (Buckinghamshire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 4th Jul 2014 Cornbury Festival, Hudson Taylor, The Feeling, Suzanne Vega,...The Great Tew Park (Oxfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 5th Jul 2014 Cornbury Festival, Jon Allen, The Reverend Peyton's Big Damn...The Great Tew Park (Oxfordshire)Buy Tickets
- Fri 11th Jul 2014 Summer in the City: James, StarsailorCastlefield Bowl (Castlefield)Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th Jul 2014 Simple Minds: Alive At DelapreDelapre Park (Northampton)More Info..
- Sat 19th Jul 2014 Simple Minds, Kew the Music 2014Kew Gardens (London)Buy Tickets
- Thu 31st Jul 2014 to Sun 3rd Aug 2014 Camp BestivalBuy Tickets
- Sat 2nd Aug 2014 Camp Bestival, De La SoulLulworth Castle (Dorset)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th Aug 2014 Penguin CafeTheatr Brycheiniog (Brecon)Buy Tickets
- Sun 28th Sep 2014 Alan BarnesSpa/ Ocean Room (Scarborough)Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th Nov 2014 and Sat 29th Nov 2014 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Joss Stone,...Buy Tickets