Bryan Ferry celebrates 40th anniversary with new album and 2013 UK tour
Roxy crooner turns to the Roaring Twenties for creative inspiration, tickets on sale Friday 30th November
For those following the fortunes of one Bryan Ferry, from Roxy Music to reunions and last year's "Olympia" solo-album, the announcement from the singer that his next project would involve '20s jazz-arrangements of his own songs and, more to the point, the formation of his own orchestra to carry it all off, without his dulcet croon an accompaniment, might come as a shock. To learn that he's also celebrating his 40th year as a solo artist with a full UK tour, probably won't - there's a lot of catalogue to wade through, for a start!
Bryan Ferry released his first solo album in 1973. Entitled "These Foolish Things", the entire set marked something of a departure from his usual glam-rockery found on Roxy Music records - it was all cover-versions, done in a smooth, languid style, with a few songs extracted from shows, rock and soul's deep vaults. The title-track came from the '30s, while others included Four Tops, Smokey Robinson and The Rolling Stones and while follow-up solo albums followed suit with more cover-versions, the 40-year old album stands up today as perhaps Ferry's most-refined homage to another age - until now, perhaps.
This week (26th November 2012), Bryan has temporarily hung up his mike to piece together and co-ordinate "The Jazz Age", an album of 13 Roxy and Ferry songs given a scat, ragtime and spatz make-over. The man himself isn't on the project and it's unlikely that much of the album will ever get aired outside of the usual Ferry circle of fans. The idea doesn't seem so strange when you note the first instrumental as being "Do the Strand" - it's a dance in itself. Someone on Strictly is bound to give it a go.
Giving it a go in 2013 will be Ferry himself with a full UK tour announced on the back of "The Jazz Age". He'll be appearing at various large venues across the UK, starting with Salford on 26th October 2013, followed by the likes of Nottingham, Ipswich, Cambridge and many more until Plymouth on 23rd November. The London show will take place at the Royal Albert Hall on 4th November, after which he will become Ferry across the Mersey (sorry, couldn't resist it) in Liverpool on the 6th.
Tickets will go on sale at various prices from 10am on Friday 30th November. Expect a career-spanning show and maybe just a bit of the Jazz Age mixed in - with Ferry in person this time.
You may be interested in
- Sat 20th Sep 2014 to Wed 1st Oct 2014 Kate Bush: Before The DawnBuy Tickets
- Sat 27th Sep 2014 and Fri 3rd Oct 2014 Roxy MagicBuy Tickets
- Sun 28th Sep 2014 and Fri 5th Dec 2014 Alan BarnesBuy Tickets
- Tue 30th Sep 2014 Bernard Sumner, Dave Haslam, Spoken WordEpstein Theatre (formerly Neptune) (Liverpool)Buy Tickets
- Fri 3rd Oct 2014 to Fri 24th Apr 2015 Curved AirBuy Tickets
- Fri 10th Oct 2014 to Sat 21st Feb 2015 The OrbBuy Tickets
- Fri 10th Oct 2014 and Sat 8th Nov 2014 Jah Wobble, Aziz Ibrahim: Invaders of the HeartBuy Tickets
- Sat 11th Oct 2014 CarmelThe Albany (Deptford)Buy Tickets
- Sat 11th Oct 2014 Richard Strange, Bill Nelson, Gavin Bryars: Language Is A Virus From Outer SpaceQueen Elizabeth Hall (Lambeth)Buy Tickets
- Mon 13th Oct 2014 to Wed 29th Oct 2014 Johnny MarrBuy Tickets
- Mon 13th Oct 2014 and Fri 14th Nov 2014 Jah WobbleBuy Tickets
- Thu 23rd Oct 2014 to Sun 29th Mar 2015 Paul CarrackBuy Tickets
- Sat 25th Oct 2014 808 State: 25 Years of Pacific StateO2 ABC (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Sat 25th Oct 2014 to Mon 17th Nov 2014 Van MorrisonBuy Tickets
- Tue 28th Oct 2014 BluesFest, Van MorrisonRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 7th Nov 2014 and Sat 13th Dec 2014 A Certain RatioBuy Tickets
- Mon 10th Nov 2014 JamesO2 Academy (Oxford)Buy Tickets
- Tue 11th Nov 2014 to Sun 23rd Nov 2014 James, StarsailorBuy Tickets
- Fri 21st Nov 2014 London Jazz Festival, Leszek Mozdzer, Lars DanielssonCadogan Hall (Kensington and Chelsea)Buy Tickets
- Fri 28th Nov 2014 and Sat 29th Nov 2014 Jools Holland and his Rhythm 'n Blues Orchestra, Joss Stone,...Buy Tickets
- Tue 9th Dec 2014 Elton John3arena (formerly The O2) (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Fri 12th Dec 2014 The Warehouse Project, Jamie XX, Jon Hopkins, Modeselektor, ...Victoria Warehouse (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Thu 26th Mar 2015 to Thu 16th Apr 2015 Robin TrowerBuy Tickets
- Tue 7th Apr 2015 to Wed 15th Apr 2015 Sting, Paul Simon: On Stage TogetherBuy Tickets
- Sun 19th Apr 2015 Curved Air, Sonja KristinaRobin 2 (Wolverhampton)Buy Tickets
- Fri 24th Apr 2015 Jon HopkinsO2 Academy (Brixton)Buy Tickets