Steve Vai unveils The Story of Light for autumn 2012 tour
Legendary guitarist to promote first album for seven years with handful of shows, tickets on sale Friday
When you look back at guitarist Steve Vai's early career as Frank Zappa's extra pair of notating hands (and touring band member), it's understandable just how technically stunning his work really is. Vai began transcribing Zappa's 'Joes' Garage' album, eventually having them all published in the early '80s, alongside notations of the 'Shut Up and Play Guitar' series and just after being enrolled as a full-time member of Zappa's live band. To put things into perspective, this was on a par with being Bruce Dickinson's co-pilot or Elton John's jeweller.
After gleaning all that unforgettable experience, Vai went solo in 1983 and released his debut album, 'Flex-Able', a more than fitting title for the man's ability to wield an axe and produce an amalgam of riffs and sounds that appear seemingly impossible to some mortals. Perhaps his most familiar contribution to non-metal and straight-rock fans is his appearance on PiL's 1985 set, 'Album'. Back in the rock world, he's been in Whitesnake, David Lee Roth's band, Graham Bonnet's band and, of course, the successful Dweezil-fronted Zappa Plays Zappa tour (during 2006).
2012 will see the return of Steve Vai as a recording artist with 'The Story of Light', his eighth studio album and his first for over half a decade. According to an interview with MusicRadar, the new album will feature the enormous title-track, a bit of seven-string action on 'Velorum' and a cover (of sorts) of the blues-roots classic, 'John the Revelator'. You will no doubt get to hear all of these in the flesh when Vai hits these shores in December!
Stops on his UK tour include Portsmouth on 1st December, followed by Hammersmith, Wolves, Newcastle, Ipswich and finally (for now) Manchester on the 7th. Tickets are on sale from us on Friday 10th August, priced from £27.50 (£28.50 for London).
You may be interested in
- Wed 19th Jun 2013 to Sun 30th Jun 2013 Brian May, Kerry EllisBuy Tickets
- Wed 19th Jun 2013 Meltdown Festival 2013, Alva Noto, Ryuichi SakamotoRoyal Festival Hall (London)Buy Tickets
- Wed 19th Jun 2013 Adam BombScream Lounge/ Studios (Croydon)Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Jun 2013 Rock the Stadium 2013, Five Star, Altered Images, The Real T...Falkirk Stadium (Falkirk)Buy Tickets
- Wed 26th Jun 2013 and Thu 27th Jun 2013 Glastonbury 2013Buy Tickets
- Thu 27th Jun 2013 and Fri 28th Jun 2013 PiLBuy Tickets
- Fri 28th Jun 2013 and Fri 27th Sep 2013 Ginger BakerBuy Tickets
- Fri 28th Jun 2013 Glastonbury 2013, Arctic Monkeys, Dizzee Rascal, The Vaccine...Worthy Farm (Somerset)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Jun 2013 Ginger Baker, Pee Wee Ellis, Alec DankworthBrudenell Social (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Sat 29th Jun 2013 Glastonbury 2013, The Rolling Stones, Primal Scream, Hurts, ...Worthy Farm (Somerset)Buy Tickets
- Sun 30th Jun 2013 Glastonbury 2013, Mumford and Sons, Nick Cave and the Bad Se...Worthy Farm (Somerset)Buy Tickets
- Fri 19th Jul 2013 Latitude 2013, Bloc Party, The Maccabees, Cat Power, Yo La T...Henham Park (Suffolk)Buy Tickets
- Sat 10th Aug 2013 Bloodstock Open Air Festival 2013, Lamb of God, Avantasia, K...Catton Hall Park (Derbyshire)Buy Tickets
- Tue 20th Aug 2013 Graham BonnetUnderworld (London)Buy Tickets
- Tue 24th Sep 2013 to Fri 4th Oct 2013 Diamond Head, Uli Jon RothBuy Tickets
- Fri 4th Oct 2013 to Fri 6th Dec 2013 Andy Fairweather LowBuy Tickets
- Sat 12th Oct 2013 to Thu 17th Oct 2013 Deep PurpleBuy Tickets
- Sat 12th Oct 2013 to Mon 21st Oct 2013 PiL, The SelecterBuy Tickets
- Thu 17th Oct 2013 PiL, The Selecter, Linton Kwesi JohnsonO2 Academy (Leeds)Buy Tickets
- Fri 18th Oct 2013 to Sat 9th Nov 2013 ToyahBuy Tickets
- Sat 19th Oct 2013 Anneke van GiersbergenJazz Cafe (London)Buy Tickets
- Mon 21st Oct 2013 to Fri 25th Oct 2013 Peter GabrielBuy Tickets