Only Men Aloud! announce mini homecoming Welsh tour for 2012
Award-winning male-voice choir to play four shows in Wales during August, tickets on sale now
Once upon a time in a (united) kingdom long, long ago there lived four million TV viewers who tuned in to watch the final of the BBC's male/female voice talent show, Last Choir Standing. Within that same jolly kingdom almost double that figure watched the final of another series of ITV's established Cowell talent-vehicle, X Factor. When you consider the magnitude of Cowell's empire and the effect it has had on people's viewing patterns and dreams, half of that programme's total audience is not to be sniffed at.
Last Choir Standing shouldn't have worked as well as it did in 2008, but it did. Here was a format as far away from 'slebs' and 'red carpets' as you could wish to get, a sort of Strictly Songs of Praise and the Pops, though thankfully blessed with a far better title than mine, yet it captivated almost 10% of the population by the end of the series. Its 16 episodes and only series was steered without fanfare by the unlikely duo of Nick 'DIY/Rescues' Knowles and Myleene 'Hearsay/Lottery' Klass, with knowledgeable judges in the form of singers Russell Watson, Sharon D.Clarke and Suzi Digby.
After several weeks of 'judge-power' and whittling down the 1000 hopefuls to a more broadcastable 6, the viewers were given control. Welsh male-voice choir, cheekily-named Only Men Aloud! (tagged with obligatory '!' as if to put one over the similarly-monikered pop-kittens Girls Aloud), proved to be worthy winners, eight years after their formation and haven't looked back since. The public had voted well.
Credit where credit's due, Only Men Aloud! have become an assured bet when it comes to vocal-pop ensembles with a point to prove. Their mission statement was simple enough - to bring a much needed update of the male-voice choir format, something they achieved with their typical repertoire of classic Welsh standards and pop favourites. Their albums have pretty much kept within those boundaries, as have their shows which have sold out with welcoming regularity.
This summer, you can catch the chaps in action as they perform a short tour of Wales, starting in Aberdare on 8th August and followed by Port Talbot, Bangor and Carmarthen. We have tickets to all shows now, priced at £25. Note that the venues are not arenas and may therefore sell out very quickly!
- Thu 12th Dec 2013 Only Men AloudSymphony Hall (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Fri 13th Dec 2013 Only Men AloudRoyal Concert Hall (Nottingham)Buy Tickets
- Tue 17th Dec 2013 Only Men AloudThe Sage (Gateshead)Buy Tickets
- Wed 18th Dec 2013 Only Men AloudThe Bridgewater Hall (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Fri 20th Dec 2013 Only Men AloudColston Hall (Bristol)Buy Tickets
- Sat 21st Dec 2013 Only Men AloudMotorpoint Arena [Formerly CIA] (Cardiff)Buy Tickets
You may also be interested in
- Thu 20th Jun 2013 Hampton Court Palace Festival 2013, Björn AgainHampton Court Palace (Kingston upon Thames)Buy Tickets
- Fri 21st Jun 2013 Hampton Court Palace Festival 2013, Frankie Valli and the Fo...Hampton Court Palace (Kingston upon Thames)Buy Tickets
- Sat 22nd Jun 2013 and Sun 23rd Jun 2013 Hampton Court Palace Festival 2013, Cliff RichardBuy Tickets
- Mon 24th Jun 2013 Hampton Court Palace Festival 2013, Joe Bonamassa, Beth HartHampton Court Palace (Kingston upon Thames)Buy Tickets
- Sat 13th Jul 2013 Classical Spectacular, Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, Militar...Leeds Castle (Maidstone)Buy Tickets
- Sun 21st Jul 2013 Marvellous 2013, London Gala Orchestra, The Great Pretender,...Wellington Country Park (Reading)Buy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Aug 2013 Lytham Proms Festival Weekend 2013, The 80s Strikes Back, To...Lytham Green (Lancashire)Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Aug 2013 Lytham Proms Festival Weekend 2013, Russell Watson, Jonathan...Lytham Green (Lancashire)Buy Tickets
- Sun 4th Aug 2013 Lytham Proms Festival Weekend 2013, Rita Ora, Conor Maynard,...Lytham Green (Lancashire)Buy Tickets
- Sun 11th Aug 2013 BBC Proms, National Youth Choirs of Great Britain, National ...Royal Albert Hall (Kensington)On SaleFri 28th Junat 9am
- Wed 14th Aug 2013 BBC Proms, The Tallis ScholarsRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Sun 18th Aug 2013 Russell WatsonClumber Park (Worksop)Buy Tickets
- Sat 31st Aug 2013 London Community Gospel ChoirThe Harbour Garden Cafe (Whitstable)Buy Tickets
- Sat 7th Dec 2013 The Ravenswood SingersWhitley Bay Playhouse (Whitley Bay)Buy Tickets