Jamaica 50th Festival to celebrate Caribbean musical heritage with series of IndigO2 summer 2012 concerts
During the past half a century, Jamaican people, culture and food have gradually permeated the British psyche and added to the heady multi-national mix found in most cities, but it is its music that has been a mainstay of communities, certainly since punk embraced its bass-heavy sounds in the late '70s. Ska, bluebeat and reggae have provided some of the most beautiful folk music in the world, while latter genres such as dub, ragga, dancehall and UK grime have continued to update and reinvent the earlier styles, so keeping another generation hungry for more.
This year, the bounteous, beautiful island of Jamaica celebrates its 50th year of independence from the UK, in the same year as its ruling monarch Queen Elizabeth II celebrates her Diamond Jubilee.
So for 2012, you may want to consider celebrating Jamaica's golden jubilee at the IndigO2 for the biggest Caribbean party, featuring legends from reggae music. Jamaica 50th Festival is a series of concerts starring many singers, musicians and producers who have rarely (or never) performed on the same bill before.
The shows run from 25th July to 6th August, all take place at London's IndigO2 with some of the must-see highlights listed below. Prices start from £25 and are exclusive of booking fees.
Lee Scratch Perry
He is possibly the most eccentric and imaginative producer of his generation and STILL releasing challenging and innovative music since the '60s. Now in his '70s, Perry will appear on the opening night alongside one artist whose career he boosted, Junior Murvin, and one producer who has continued to release his own welter of classic dub records since the late '70s, Mad Professor. 25th July.
Sly & Robbie
This acclaimed and inspired drum, bass and production duo will form part of a very special Jamaican Legends Band that also features guitarist Ernest Ranglin and pianist Monty Alexander. Erstwhile chart-star Bitty McLean is support, the show takes place on 29th July.
One of Trojan's most successful singers and creator of the classic album '1000 Volts of Holt'. Holt wrote two stone-wall reggae classics, 'The Tide is High' (covered by The Paragons and Blondie) and 'Ali Baba', and will be joined by '70s roots outfit The Mighty Diamonds. 31st July.
A key figure in the '70s UK scene, Zukie issued albums on the Front Line label, as well as working and producing with similar acts of that era. Alongside him for this show will be 'toasting' pioneers U - Roy, Yellowman and Dennis Alcapone. 28th July.
The closing night will fittingly be performed by the legendary Cliff who is undergoing something of a renaissance this year. Other '60s legends such as Derrick Morgan and Max Romeo will join Cliff in this exciting climax to a fortnight of Jamaican heritage. 6th August - tickets for this one are £50..
You may be interested in
- Sun 26th May 2013 Kaya Festival 2013, Mad Professor, The Selecter, Pauline Bla...Faenol Estate (Bangor)Buy Tickets
- Sat 1st Jun 2013 Forbidden Fruit 2013, Kasabian, Crystal Castles, James Blake...Royal Hospital Kilmainham (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Jun 2013 The Bug, dBridge, Mala, Mad ProfessorKOKO (Camden)Buy Tickets
- Sun 23rd Jun 2013 Jimmy CliffO2 ABC (Glasgow)Buy Tickets
- Mon 24th Jun 2013 Jimmy CliffThe Plug (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Tue 25th Jun 2013 Jimmy CliffO2 Shepherds Bush Empire (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Sun 7th Jul 2013 Beat-Herder Festival 2013, Jimmy Cliff, Norman Jay, Mr Scruf...Dockber Farm - Sawley (Lancashire)Buy Tickets
- Thu 25th Jul 2013 Toots and the MaytalsThe Junction [J1/ J2/ J3] (Cambridge)Buy Tickets
- Sun 28th Jul 2013 Toots and the MaytalsO2 Shepherds Bush Empire (Shepherds Bush)Buy Tickets
- Tue 30th Jul 2013 Toots and the MaytalsThe Button Factory (Temple Bar)Buy Tickets
- Thu 1st Aug 2013 Toots and the MaytalsThe Plug (Sheffield)Buy Tickets
- Fri 2nd Aug 2013 Toots and the MaytalsO2 Academy/ The Scholar [Leicester University] (Leicester)Buy Tickets
- Sat 3rd Aug 2013 Toots and the MaytalsO2 Academy [1, 2 and 3] (Birmingham)Buy Tickets
- Tue 6th Aug 2013 Toots and the MaytalsO2 Academy [Academy 1 & 2] (Newcastle-upon-Tyne)Buy Tickets
- Wed 7th Aug 2013 Toots and the MaytalsHolmfirth Picturedrome (West Yorkshire)Buy Tickets
- Thu 8th Aug 2013 Toots and the MaytalsThe Ritz (Manchester)Buy Tickets
- Sun 11th Aug 2013 Flow Festival 2013, Kraftwerk, Bat for Lashes, Grimes, Godsp...Suvilahti - Helsinki (Finland)Buy Tickets
- Sun 11th Aug 2013 Toots and the MaytalsSub89 [Sub 89] (Reading)Buy Tickets
- Tue 13th Aug 2013 Toots and the MaytalsForum/ Attic [University of Hertfordshire] (Hatfield)Buy Tickets