Dawes open up with 2012 UK tour dates and festival appearances
Americana outfit to perform at Hard Rock Calling, Latitude and T in the Park plus headliners, tickets on sale now/Friday
If their name means little to you (so far), then try convincing Marcus Mumford otherwise - he apparently loves Dawes and recently confided with NME that the Los Angeles folk-rockers were 'an important band'. So much so that the two acts recently combined to perform a few US 'secret' shows, alongside other Americana luminaries from Deer Tick and dobro-maestro Jerry Douglas.
Before all this adulation from various peers, Dawes did little more than record two very fine albums of crackled country-rock and dustbowl folk that wouldn't sound amiss on one of those free CDs you find on the front of a monthly music magazine, such as Uncut. And it just so happens that IS where you'll find one of their earlier songs, 'Peace in the Valley', extracted from the debut long-player from 2009, 'North Hills'. It's a good example of their rich, raw hybrid of fragile vocals and plaintive lyrics, with an electrical edge leaning towards Springsteen, Red House Painters, Avett Brothers and our own Society. Tagged as 'authentically vintage' by Rolling Stone magazine, you can appreciate what Mr Mumford (and Jackson Browne, for that matter) sees in them.
You will also be given a chance to see and hear their musical wares during our summer (when it eventually arrives), because Dawes are hitting up a few big festivals as well as some recently-announced headlining shows of their own. Armed with newer songs from 2011 set, 'Nothing Is Wrong', the band will play at T in the Park on 7th July, Latitude on 13th July and Hyde Park's Hard Rock Calling on 14th July as one of the attractions for Bruce Springsteen's shindig.
In addition, you can head to a Dawes headliner, starting with Dublin on 9th July, followed by Liverpool, London and Oxford. Dublin and Liverpool are on sale now, while London and Oxford hit our servers on Friday. Prices start at £12.50 and well worth a punt.
You may be interested in
- Sat 29th Jun 2013 Hard Rock Calling 2013, Kasabian, Paul Weller, Miles Kane, K...Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park (Newham)Buy Tickets
- Sun 30th Jun 2013 Hard Rock Calling 2013, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street B...Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park (Newham)Buy Tickets
- Thu 11th Jul 2013 to Sat 13th Jul 2013 T in the Park 2013Balado Airfield (Kinross)Buy Tickets
- Sun 14th Jul 2013 T in the Park 2013, Hot NaturedBalado Airfield (Kinross)Buy Tickets
- Thu 18th Jul 2013 to Sun 21st Jul 2013 Latitude 2013Henham Park (Suffolk)Buy Tickets
- Fri 19th Jul 2013 Latitude 2013, Bloc PartyHenham Park (Suffolk)Buy Tickets