Suzanne Vega announces 2012 UK summer dates - tickets available now
It's been more than 25 years since Suzanne Vega briefly monopolised cool with the folky, savvy pop of Marlene on the Wall, Left of Center and Luka.
Each was a vignette, chronicling some observed drama or minutiae, all delivered with Vega's distinctively intimate vocal and with a New Yorker's savoir faire. Her songs, and the albums that spawned them, were particularly successful in the UK with eight of her first nine singles charting here. Meanwhile, just two of the releases from her first two albums made the US countdown, although that did include a No 3 for Luka.
Written about a small boy she'd observed in her apartment block and extrapolated into a tale of child abuse, Luka was typical of Vega's at times challenging take on songwriting. Her biggest hit in the UK was to be a remix of the 1987 single Tom's Diner, taking from the singer's third record Solitude Standing. Originally an 'a cappella' track that helped earn Vega a sobriquet as the 'Queen of the MP3' after it was used in early experiments in compressing audio data, DNA added some beats and Tom's Diner made No 2 in 1990.
In 2010, Suzanne Vega began releasing the Close-Up trilogy of albums, featuring re-workings of much of her back catalogue under the three headings Love Songs, People & Places and States of Being, the latter released last summer. Always re-inventing, innovating and re-thinking, Suzanne Vega remains one of pop's finest songwriters and performers and she's taking to the road in late May.
The dates begin with two shows at the Minack Theatre in Penzance on 25th and 26th May, followed by gigs in London (at Islington's Union Chapel), Brighton, Gateshead and York, before the final date announced so far in Basingstoke on Thursday 26th June 2012.
We have tickets for all these dates available now, priced from £20 for Penzance (second night only, first sold out), rising to £29.50 for the Union Chapel gig.
You may be interested in
- Fri 31st Oct 2014 BluesFest, Sheryl CrowRoyal Albert Hall (Kensington)Buy Tickets
- Fri 31st Oct 2014 to Fri 13th Feb 2015 Turin BrakesBuy Tickets
- Fri 31st Oct 2014 to Thu 6th Nov 2014 Nerina PallotBuy Tickets
- Fri 31st Oct 2014 to Thu 2nd Apr 2015 The SubwaysBuy Tickets
- Sat 1st Nov 2014 Nell BrydenArlington Arts Centre (Newbury)Buy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Nov 2014 to Tue 25th Nov 2014 Luka BloomBuy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Nov 2014 to Wed 12th Nov 2014 The Blackout, ChiodosBuy Tickets
- Mon 3rd Nov 2014 to Thu 13th Nov 2014 The BlackoutBuy Tickets
- Tue 4th Nov 2014 to Fri 14th Nov 2014 The Wedding Present: WatusiBuy Tickets
- Tue 11th Nov 2014 to Sun 23rd Nov 2014 James, StarsailorBuy Tickets
- Wed 12th Nov 2014 to Mon 24th Nov 2014 Pere UbuBuy Tickets
- Thu 13th Nov 2014 Martin Harley, Sam LewisSunderland Independent (Sunderland)Buy Tickets
- Sat 15th Nov 2014 Dr John: A Tribute to Louis ArmstrongBarbican (City of London)Buy Tickets
- Tue 25th Nov 2014 to Fri 20th Feb 2015 Echo and the BunnymenBuy Tickets
- Wed 3rd Dec 2014 to Sun 22nd Mar 2015 OysterbandBuy Tickets
- Thu 4th Dec 2014 to Sat 20th Dec 2014 The Enemy, The TwangBuy Tickets
- Mon 15th Dec 2014 and Tue 16th Dec 2014 FightstarBuy Tickets
- Thu 18th Dec 2014 StarsailorPyramid/ Parr Hall (Warrington)Buy Tickets
- Thu 15th Jan 2015 Dawn LandesWhelan's (Dublin)Buy Tickets
- Fri 13th Feb 2015 to Sun 3rd May 2015 The OrbBuy Tickets
- Tue 3rd Mar 2015 to Mon 16th Mar 2015 The CharlatansBuy Tickets
- Thu 5th Mar 2015 and Fri 6th Mar 2015 The Charlatans, Hot VestryBuy Tickets
- Fri 13th Mar 2015 The Charlatans, Factory FloorCivic Hall (Wolverhampton)Buy Tickets
- Tue 17th Mar 2015 to Sun 22nd Mar 2015 Dropkick Murphys: Celtic Punk Invasion TourBuy Tickets
- Thu 30th Apr 2015 Rory McLeodHotel Forty One (Driffield)Buy Tickets
- Sat 9th May 2015 The UndertonesClapham Grand (London)Buy Tickets
- Sat 23rd May 2015 Gang of Four, Echo and the BunnymenAcademy [1, 2, 3 and Club Academy] (Manchester)Buy Tickets