Staging the Bard's World - British Museum announces huge William Shakespeare exhibition for 2012
Most of you will have experienced one or two examples of William Shakespeare's incredible literature, either Macbeth (the popular school curriculum favourite - "Out damned spot!" and all that), Othello (several high-profile productions have played during the last 30 years) or the many cinematic offerings that include 'Much Ado About Nothing' (directed by Kenneth Branagh, starred Keanu Reeves and Kate Beckinsale), 'The Tempest' (either Peter Greenaway's arty version or Julie Taymor's with Helen Mirren) or the popular 'Romeo and Juliet' (directed by Baz Luhrmann). No matter what your walk of life has been and will be, you'll have come into the Bard's contact.
With the onset of the Olympic Games this summer, London will be an immensely busy city with millions expected to visit the Stratford spectacle, fill up with the huge choice of cuisine and visit the major tourist attractions. One such attraction is the British Museum in Bloomsbury, which is gearing up for something of an Olympic event in itself - a major exhibition devoted to the aforementioned playwright, William Shakespeare. The iconic writer's link with London is already visible on the South Bank with the Globe Theatre, yet his legacy extends far beyond the reproduction open-air theatre (the original of which was built some 400 years ago).
Staging The World attempts to provide an insight into Shakespeare's relationship with the capital, drawing on an immense array of paintings, documents, manuscripts, jewellery and countless artefacts derived from an era when professional theatre was attracting thousands to London, just like the Olympics will do in the summer. His many characters and references will be used to explain the exhibits and the whole thing comes as part of the London 2012 Festival and World Shakespeare Festival 2012.
Tickets for the much-anticipated exhibition, which will run from 19th July to 25th November, are available to buy now, priced from £15 for standard adult tickets, numerous concessions and under 16s go free!! Demand for this exhibition will attract visitors from across the globe (no pun intended) so be Early Bards and book now!!
You may be interested in
- Thu 23rd May 2013 to Mon 12th Aug 2013 As You Like It, Royal Shakespeare CompanyBuy Tickets
- Thu 23rd May 2013 to Fri 9th Aug 2013 Hamlet, Royal Shakespeare CompanyBuy Tickets
- Fri 24th May 2013 to Sat 1st Jun 2013 Titus Andronicus [play], Royal Shakespeare CompanyBuy Tickets
- Fri 24th May 2013 to Sun 11th Aug 2013 A Midsummer Night's DreamBuy Tickets
- Fri 31st May 2013 to Sun 11th Aug 2013 Rain or Shine Theatre Company, The Comedy of ErrorsBuy Tickets
- Sun 2nd Jun 2013 Ed Byrne, Men in Coats, Marcel Lucont, The Reduced Shakespea...The Bedford (Balham)Buy Tickets
- Wed 5th Jun 2013 to Fri 14th Jun 2013 The Hip Hop Shakespeare Company, Bashy, AkalaBuy Tickets
- Mon 10th Jun 2013 to Tue 13th Aug 2013 A Mad World, My Masters, Royal Shakespeare CompanyBuy Tickets
- Thu 13th Jun 2013 The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged)Lincoln School of Performing Arts (Lincoln)Buy Tickets
- Fri 21st Jun 2013 to Sun 30th Jun 2013 The Merry Wives Of WindsorBuy Tickets
- Sun 23rd Jun 2013 to Sun 11th Aug 2013 A Midsummer Night's Dream, Chapterhouse Theatre CompanyBuy Tickets
- Mon 24th Jun 2013 Ludlow Arts Festival 2013, The Reduced Shakespeare CompanyLudlow Castle (Shropshire)Buy Tickets
- Mon 24th Jun 2013 to Sat 29th Jun 2013 The Taming of the ShrewBuy Tickets
- Thu 27th Jun 2013 to Sat 10th Aug 2013 Twelfth Night, Chapterhouse Theatre CompanyBuy Tickets
- Fri 28th Jun 2013 and Sat 29th Jun 2013 Much Ado About NothingBuy Tickets
- Wed 3rd Jul 2013 to Sun 28th Jul 2013 MacbethBuy Tickets
- Tue 9th Jul 2013 to Sun 21st Jul 2013 The TempestBuy Tickets
- Tue 16th Jul 2013 to Sun 11th Aug 2013 The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged), The Re...Buy Tickets
- Tue 16th Jul 2013 to Sun 28th Jul 2013 The Winter's TaleBuy Tickets
- Wed 17th Jul 2013 to Sat 10th Aug 2013 Harry the SixthBuy Tickets
- Tue 23rd Jul 2013 to Tue 13th Aug 2013 All's Well That Ends Well, Royal Shakespeare CompanyBuy Tickets
- Wed 7th Aug 2013 to Sun 11th Aug 2013 West Side StoryBuy Tickets